Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 02:02   #7906
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3G experience on LG Optimus One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Howz the 3G experience on LG optimus one? Does 3G drain the battery in comparison with 2G?

Please share your experience.
Dude, 3G is supposed to battery much faster than 2G on any phone. That said, personally I haven't gone in for a 3G subscription and won't do so unless the tariffs come down. So can't quantify the difference personally.
Old 24th March 2011, 09:40   #7907
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

@Racoon: You're spot on. Here's my experience:
On my 5800, I can use it comfortably (~1hr on calls, ~100 sms, listening to music thru the wired headset for ~1hr, lots of browsing on the laptop by using the phone as a bluetooth modem) for 1-1.5 days.

If I switch to UMTS instead of GSM, ie., 3G data, for the same usage pattern, the phone would lose steam well before EoD.
Old 24th March 2011, 10:38   #7908
BHPian

Re: 3G experience on LG Optimus One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
That said, personally I haven't gone in for a 3G subscription and won't do so unless the tariffs come down.
A friend of mine had his exisitng 2G plan upgraded to 3G by Vodafone (Mumbai) without any requests from him. He also has these problems about battery drain-out and signal fluctuatons. So he is switching to 3G only in case of data intensive work. Rest of the times, he is happy with 2G.
Old 24th March 2011, 14:54   #7909
Senior - BHPian

Just thinking out aloud here.
I have been using a Nokia 6500 Slide for the past 3+ years and it works exactly as it did on the day I bought it.
Build quality solid, the display is/was crisp and excellent for its time, the battery life is fantastic, the camera with its Carl Zeiss optics was quite good and overall it reeks of quality. Simple software (S40v5) makes it very reliable as well. Fantastic phone and I am a highly satisfied customer.
I wonder what can be its replacement ? I searched around, and none quite satisfied me in the above mentioned (key)attributes, in its price range. Most phones dont even "feel" that good in my hand , as this one does. Phones like the Optimus One, Wildfire , and even Nokias like C5 didnt quite appeal to me.
Not that I am in a hurry to replace it, because this one so good at doing what it was supposed to do.
Old 24th March 2011, 15:25   #7910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I have been using a Nokia 6500 Slide for the past 3+ years and it works exactly as it did on the day I bought it.
Build quality solid, the display is/was crisp and excellent for its time, the battery life is fantastic, the camera with its Carl Zeiss optics was quite good and overall it reeks of quality. Simple software (S40v5) makes it very reliable as well. Fantastic phone and I am a highly satisfied customer.
I wonder what can be its replacement ? I searched around, and none quite satisfied me in the above mentioned (key)attributes, in its price range. Most phones dont even "feel" that good in my hand , as this one does. Phones like the Optimus One, Wildfire , and even Nokias like C5 didnt quite appeal to me.
Not that I am in a hurry to replace it, because this one so good at doing what it was supposed to do.
Tell us your requirements (features), preferences (brands, OS etc) and budget.

We will help you out.

Rohan
Old 24th March 2011, 16:39   #7911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Tell us your requirements (features), preferences (brands, OS etc) and budget.
To tell you the truth, I dont know! Or rather, I am verrrrrry undecided. All I know is I dont want to spend a paisa over 15k.

Was leaning towards non-Korean (mental block against them) Android phones. Checked out the Wildfire, its a good phone, but not very appealing at that price point. (13+k). Its good, if priced under 10k.
Though I am perfectly okay if a nicely featured, well built, and premium feeling Nokia if it exists would work for me as well. The C5 didnt impress me.
My current will easily last for a long time to come (thanks to it being a typical over engineered Nokia of the past), and I am in no hurry to replace it.

The Nokia 6500 Slide feels like a W123 Diesel , in the age of high tech cars.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:54   #7912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To tell you the truth, I dont know! Or rather, I am verrrrrry undecided. All I know is I dont want to spend a paisa over 15k.

Though I am perfectly okay if a nicely featured, well built, and premium feeling Nokia if it exists would work for me as well.
I am also in a similar situation - itching to get a new phone but not liking any of the models within 15k price range.

I would suggest you to wait for a few months. The prices of the newly launched C7 and C6-01 would definitely reduce in a few months. These are the new generation Nokia phones which combine the best of both the worlds - new version of the Symbian OS, capacitive touch screen, solid build quality and professional looks. Needless to mention that they have all features and connectivity options that are expected in this price range.

Don't expect much from the camera though. Both have a fixed focus camera.

Rohan
Old 25th March 2011, 15:02   #7913
BHPian

Deals And You is offering Samsung Wave S8500 ( it says it's the original wave with S-AMOLED and I'm skeptical about that ) for Rs. 15699. I think it is a good deal if it's true. I'm still thinking if I should take the offer or not :

Welcome To Deals and You Daily Deals
Old 25th March 2011, 15:59   #7914
BHPian

I want to get rid of my W960i. Its a a Feb 2007 model!!!. Is there any website where i can put up an add? Ebay?

Would like to buy Galaxy S or S2 (whenever its released.)
Old 25th March 2011, 16:38   #7915
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Is there any website where i can put up an add? Ebay?
I have heard of this site: http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/sear.../?listing_type[equal]=GadgetsElectronics&action=search

I am not too familiar about the site or its credo though. Maybe you can try your luck
Old 25th March 2011, 16:39   #7916
BHPian

Quote:
Well I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I used Nokia 6500 slide for 2 years and changed to Samsung Wave (S8500) in mid-last year. I still have the 6500 slide and it looks (and feels) like new even today. I really loved the phone and that is why it will stay with me as a backup phone. It never gave me any problem - NEVER in the 2 years of usage.

The switch to Wave has however been a good one as well. The phone looks and feels solid, is a joy to operate, has a pretty good camera, a superlative display and an amazing multimedia package.

@Newpunter

Though the phone is the original Wave the warranty offered is a 6 month seller's warranty (and not the standard 1 year manufacturer's warranty). I wouldn't go in for this deal because of warranty issues even though Wave at this price is an excellent value proposition.

Last edited by Cesc : 25th March 2011 at 16:44.
Old 25th March 2011, 19:38   #7917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Deals And You is offering Samsung Wave S8500 ( it says it's the original wave with S-AMOLED and I'm skeptical about that ) for Rs. 15699. I think it is a good deal if it's true. I'm still thinking if I should take the offer or not :

Welcome To Deals and You Daily Deals
I'd suggest you spend few hundred more and go for Wave II. Samsung Wave II S8530 Price In India: Buy Samsung Wave II S8530: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles (Black)
Old 26th March 2011, 01:53   #7918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
@Racoon: You're spot on. Here's my experience:
On my 5800, I can use it comfortably (~1hr on calls, ~100 sms, listening to music thru the wired headset for ~1hr, lots of browsing on the laptop by using the phone as a bluetooth modem) for 1-1.5 days.

If I switch to UMTS instead of GSM, ie., 3G data, for the same usage pattern, the phone would lose steam well before EoD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
A friend of mine had his exisitng 2G plan upgraded to 3G by Vodafone (Mumbai) without any requests from him. He also has these problems about battery drain-out and signal fluctuatons. So he is switching to 3G only in case of data intensive work. Rest of the times, he is happy with 2G.
Right. But it will also depend on the 2G and 3G signal in your location. If by chance the 3G signal is relatively stronger, the difference in back-up time may not be much.

Do any of you notice improved voice quality when in 3G mode (yes, technically, its possible)?
Old 26th March 2011, 11:39   #7919
Team-BHP Support

Anyone here with a Blackberry Storm 2?

Wanna know how the Blackberry Maps works? The manual says it is there. I can even find the Settings for it. But can't find the application per se. Also, are Indian maps loaded on to it?
Old 26th March 2011, 12:34   #7920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Well I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I used Nokia 6500 slide for 2 years and changed to Samsung Wave (S8500) in mid-last year. I still have the 6500 slide and it looks (and feels) like new even today. I really loved the phone and that is why it will stay with me as a backup phone. It never gave me any problem - NEVER in the 2 years of usage.
Glad to know that there are more such folks like me out there, who like this phone. The wave sounds good, but I am not that big on Bada.

I think I will wait for some time time to see new WP7 offerings from Nokia, or the Wildfire's replacement (hopefully, with Gingerbread and a better processor/memory) from HTC.

Most Viewed