Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 01:09   #7891
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

I agree inder. But most common users do not go to such depths while comparing phones. They see features/benefits versus price.

The hardware on the N8/E7 is certainly good compared to the iphone. But at 29K, the E7 just doesnt make sense in direct comparision to an iphone. Since you are a hardcore Nokia user like me (will change shortly), you will certainly relish the E7. But not for an average buyer with that budget in mind.
Old 17th March 2011, 01:47   #7892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I agree inder. But most common users do not go to such depths while comparing phones. They see features/benefits versus price.

The hardware on the N8/E7 is certainly good compared to the iphone. But at 29K, the E7 just doesnt make sense in direct comparision to an iphone. Since you are a hardcore Nokia user like me (will change shortly), you will certainly relish the E7. But not for an average buyer with that budget in mind.
Yup, Thanks Buddy.

I know that most of the users are not Tech savvy guys. All I was trying to say is don't go by websites blindly. If they need a flashy phone they should go for it instead of commenting on features that they don't understand
Old 17th March 2011, 09:00   #7893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
I watch Movies on it, am happy with 3.2 MP (I know it is autofocus cam on this phone with Carl Zeiss optics) in emergency, watch TV channels, Take Office Conf calls by using skype for hrs, uSe video calling with my Friends having 3G, Chat with friends using messengers, Get office mails in Mail for Exchange and Personal using Nokia messaging, Connect my phone to Laptop for web using Bluetooth or cable, Have Office 2010 support, Adobe PDF , Use it as wireless webcam (Mobiola Webcam App), Have Anti virus, Use GPS with Voice Navigation while travelling across states and in city.
With the soup Nokia is in, you will not be able to use some of these in newer phones.

For example, Skype. It does not make any sense for Skype to port it to a dying platform.

Similarly Garin has discontinued their line of products for Symbian (Garmin Mobile XT).

Basically availability of apps is a concern since developers know that this platform would go away in 2 years.

I have been a Nokia user for 10+ years now. But my next phone is going to run Android.
Old 17th March 2011, 10:57   #7894
Senior - BHPian

I had also loaded all the relevant maps onto my N8.
As soon as I landed I bought a Lebara connection (local sim) and asked them to activate the internet settings.
My gmail started working immediately.
But the maps simply wouldnt orientate - even though I switched the default settings (for GPRS and internet access) from Vodafone to Lebara.
And the blessed GPS simply refused to get a fix.
(All this despite being under an open sky!!)
By contrast my Garmin Car GPS device, got a fix instantly and worked like a charm all the way. So I ended up using that while I was walking about as well, instead of using my mobile phone GPS.
Perhaps I need to meet you sometime in Bangalore and take a tutorial from you as to how to get my phone GPS to work when travelling abroad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You weren't patient enough, perhaps. It definitely works. I tried out Nokia map for Qatar week before last without a data connection (I kept refusing the data connection request), and it works like a charm. When it gets a fix, that is.

1. The map should be pre-loaded before you look for satellite fix. I had loaded the Qatar map before flying out. When I landed and switched on the phone (during the rather long bus journey to the terminal), it took about 4 minutes to get a fix and showed the position on the airport peripheral road correctly. Didn't even ask me to select appropriate map
2. When trying for the first time in a new place, one has to be outdoors for a quicker fix. At least leave it near a window which has a clear sky view. May take 2-10 minutes
Old 17th March 2011, 11:06   #7895
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Being a dying platform, with lower specs than the N8, they should have priced it at Rs. 18,000, not a paisa more.
The Nokia E7’s camera has neither autofocus nor Xenon flash -- both strengths of the earlier Nokia N8.
And the E7 has no microSD card memory expandability.

And the “HDMI-Out” and “USB on-the-go cables” which came free with the Nokia N8, are no longer part of the Nokia E7 sales package.
However the “new” Nokia E7 has no 2 mm jack facility!

Had Nokia joined the Android revolution, their phones would have combined superlative hardware with solid software, but that was not to be....The Nokia E7 is a case of too little, too late from Nokia.
1. Ram not everyone buys a phone for the camera. Try using the N8's touch screen to SMS/Email vs the E7's tactile keyboard.

2. The lack of auto focus and a good flash might be becasue Nokia is trying to extend the usable battery life of the E7 to 3 days of "normal" use.

3. Business users rarely have the need to remove their SD cards from the phone. I have never doe this for my BB. I have cradle and sync it to my laptop.

4. HDMI cable makes more sense for a out and out camera phone like the N8 than a business phone like the E7 but the USB on the go cable would have been nice addition to the E7 package and I believe Nokia will add this to later packages.

5. If you can charge the phone via micro USB why have the 2mm jack?

6. Yes I too would have loved to see a Android on the the E7. At least then we'd have a software platform that would exist in 2014. Symbian will be dead long before that.

Quote:
5. I tried out the 8MP and when used correctly it takes good pics..
What do you mean "Used correctly"? Is it not capable under certain conditions like low light?

My wife is also considering the E7. One DBHPian already has one and is very happy with it so far (he's had it only for 2 days).
Old 17th March 2011, 14:14   #7896
BANNED

Hi Gurus,

one of my friend is looking to buy a mobile for himself.

He has a a HTC (Touch i guess )now and the OS corrupted so is looking for another one now.

His needs are touch,easy to carry,Professional,wifi,3G and BT

Please suggest a phone within a budget of 20k

Thanks
Old 17th March 2011, 14:27   #7897
BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean "Used correctly"? Is it not capable under certain conditions like low light?

My wife is also considering the E7. One DBHPian already has one and is very happy with it so far (he's had it only for 2 days).
I agree in low light it is an issue and mentioned earlier clearly that as a Business User for me , Camera is a good to have feature not an essential one.
Old 18th March 2011, 07:42   #7898
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree in low light it is an issue and mentioned earlier clearly that as a Business User for me , Camera is a good to have feature not an essential one.
About the camera of the camera-phone

Social Acceptability
My observation is that the mobile phone camera easily scores, where a big obtrusive SLR camera or capable compact camera would be unacceptable.

People who get self-conscious before a big DSLR with popup flash and obtrusive zoom lens, seem to not mind, being snapped with a mobile phone -- never mind that it has Xenon flash and a high-quality Carl-Zeiss Tessar with quality nearly that of a stand alone camera.

I've found it highly handy in meetings and places where a proper camera would cause people to get self-conscious.

High Availability
That a superior picture-taker: the Carl-Zeiss autofocus camera, combined with Xenon flash is highly available in my pocket at all times, is a great comfort.

Sharp Quality and Usefulness
During meetings with my clients and colleagues, I use my phone camera to quickly snap a white-board.

In macro mode, both the N82 and its successor the N8 can focus down to 4 inches, 10 cm.
I use the macro close-up facility extensively, to use the camera as a quick, highly available Xerox machine.
It has been invaluable to snap closeups of notice boards in upteen places.
Most of my quick drawings have been recorded for posterity this way -- even posted on Web2.0 fora like Team-BHP.

The E7's poor quality fixed focus camera to me, is a backward very retrograde step.

My February 2005 Nokia 3230, was upgraded to an autofocus & mechanical shutter and LED flash N73 in Sep 2006; That was upgraded to a Dec 2007 N82, and that was upgraded to Oct 2010 N8.
After using high quality camera phones, the Nokia E7 represents four steps backward for me!

In this day and age when mobile phones are pocket-sized multimedia lifesavers, the use of the euphemism: "business phone" for a less-capable, high-priced, retrograde kludge, is objectionable. Who're they kidding?

I can view Microsoft PowerPoint presentations, Adobe pdf files and edit a Microsoft Word document on my Nokia N8. And it is not called a "business phone" !

Today, when one thinks of business user, one thinks of Mark Zuckerberg.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:07   #7899
BHPian

Hello everyone,

My sister is planning to buy a new mobile phone. She is a music buff so would like something that supports all formats of audio, etc. And also, sturdiness is something important too. Budget is around 10,000 to 13,000. And I shortlisted the Nokia C5-03
Nokia India - Nokia C5-03 - Touch screen mobile phone

What do you think about it? We, in our family, have four Nokia phones and are extremely satisfied with it (other than the N73 which hangs often and is slow at times). So is it a good choice? How about Samsung corby/Galaxy? I would like to avoid Sony Ericsson as have had a bad experience with K550i earlier. Please give your suggestion. Thanks.

Cheers!
Old 19th March 2011, 18:25   #7900
BHPian

Re: 3G experience on LG Optimus One?

Howz the 3G experience on LG optimus one? Does 3G drain the battery in comparison with 2G?

Please share your experience.
Old 19th March 2011, 23:14   #7901
Senior - BHPian

Guys how much does a blackberry curve 8520 cost now?The 2G one.

Thanks for your reply in advance.
Take Care & Drive Safe.
Old 20th March 2011, 07:09   #7902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Guys how much does a blackberry curve 8520 cost now?The 2G one.

Thanks for your reply in advance.
Take Care & Drive Safe.
Here is a link to an article saying Blackberry's have come done in price.
Curve 8520 - Rs.9990/- (MRP), Rs.9890/- or less street price.
BlackBerry Smartphones Gets a Price Cut, BB Curve 8520 Now For Rs.9890
Old 20th March 2011, 08:50   #7903
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks for the link raja.
Which phone should I get in 15-20k.Prioties are,qwerty keypad,excellent camera with flash,decent battery life and WIFI capable.
Old 21st March 2011, 12:05   #7904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
My sister is planning to buy a new mobile phone. She is a music buff so would like something that supports all formats of audio, etc. And also, sturdiness is something important too. Budget is around 10,000 to 13,000. And I shortlisted the Nokia C5-03
If sturdiness is important to you, C5-03 would be a good option. Its music quality is also good, but the supplied headset is crappy. You will need to buy better headset/earphone. Also, you would need to purchase a bigger memory card. (2 GB memory card is supplied, which is very less by today's standard.)

You could also consider Nokia 5800, Nokia C6-00, Nokia X6, LG Optimus One, HTC Wildfire and the lower end variants of Samsung Galaxy and Wave series.

Rohan
Old 21st March 2011, 14:54   #7905

Has anyone tried their hands on a Windows Phone 7. I was looking at the HTC HD7 or the Dell Venue Pro.
Any users out there who can share their experiences

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks