Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 19:21   #7876
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Considering the Nokia's expertise and brand name and freshness (if any) of the WP7 dont you think, the models (if executed well) would be refreshing then as few tech freaks would have been bored the I's & Droids ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Nokia's Windows phones would not be available till mid 2012.

At the current pace of growth, thats far too late to have any meaningful impact on market.
Old 15th March 2011, 23:33   #7877
Senior - BHPian

Ditching Symbian is a real sad move by Nokia. Symbian was at the top of the sales charts.

They made a mistake when backwards portability was not supported.

I do not know who would benefit more but Samsung, Qualcomm, HP or Sonyericsson should actively look into buying out Symbian or Intel Can also fuse Symbian and Meego. I hope Symbian doesn't die UIQ's death.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 15th March 2011 at 23:34.
Old 16th March 2011, 02:36   #7878
Distinguished - BHPian

Have to say that I found Symbian (as per N82) horrible and senseless to use. I also found Nokia's PC software suite really, really bad. Far worse than anything from Microsoft. I hadn't given up, though, at least on the phone front. I have now: I am not ever moving to ms software on a phone.

At the moment, I'm liking the look of the Motorola Defy. Any comment on this one?
Old 16th March 2011, 07:31   #7879
Ram
Senior - BHPian

In loyal defense of the Nokia N82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Have to say that I found Symbian (as per N82) horrible and senseless to use. I also found Nokia's PC software suite really, really bad. Far worse than anything from Microsoft. I hadn't given up, though, at least on the phone front. I have now: I am not ever moving to ms software on a phone.

At the moment, I'm liking the look of the Motorola Defy. Any comment on this one?
@Thad E Ginathom, I am a Nokia N8 user today.

I used the N82 from December 2007 to October 2010. Always kept the firmware up to date. The camera Xenon+Macro continues to be superlative. I got tons of use out of the web browser.

In December 2009 I purchased CorePlayer Mobile for Symbian S60 3rd Edition ver. 1.3.6 for my Nokia N82. The software cost me US $30.
This gave me a comprehensive set of codecs for my Nokia N82.
Besides Youtube support, with built-in browse and search. It plays the following video formats:
• Matroska MKV (Blueray Quality)
• BlueTooth Stereo (A2DP) and Audio/Video Remote Control Bluetooth profile support
• Audio: MP3, WMA, AAC, MKA, WAV, OGG, Speex, WAVPACK, FLAC, MPC, AMR, GSM, ADPCM, ALaw, MuLaw, MIDI
• Video: CoreAVC (H.264), AVCHD, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-4 part 2 (ASP), DivX, XviD, MJPEG, MSVIDEO1
• Containers: FLV, Matroska, ASX, ASF, TS, PS, M2TS, 3GPP, MOV, AVI, MPEG-4, NSV

Have often played so many videos on the phone while travelling long distance.

Countless times has my N82 fallen to the floor. In fact, on 15th Sep. 2010, while shooting this video at home, I tripped on a footstool and dumped the N82 into a cup of hot tea. The N82 was none the worse for it !!!

And today, my son uses the old Nokia N82, in addition to his iPhone 3GS.
The N82’s GPS along with Google Maps mobile has guided me home in Nagpur, Munich Germany, Bhopal and parts of Mumbai’s North Western suburbs unknown to me.

I had to wait until the N8 to find a phone better than the N82.

Under the circumstances, it is hard for me to understand what complaint anybody would have against the Nokia N82. IMHO, it is one of the outstanding phones, ever made.

Ram
Old 16th March 2011, 08:40   #7880
Senior - BHPian

Re: In loyal defense of the Nokia N82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Under the circumstances, it is hard for me to understand what complaint anybody would have against the Nokia N82. IMHO, it is one of the outstanding phones, ever made.
Its software is horrible. As Thad points out, even simple activities like Syncing maps require way too much user interaction.

And even that changed every few months. E.g. first there was map downloader, then a tab in OVI player then a new Menu in OVI player.

Quote:
it is one of the outstanding phones, ever made.
Thats true, as long as it is used as a phone it works fine. Software plays spoilsport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Considering the Nokia's expertise and brand name and freshness (if any) of the WP7 dont you think, the models (if executed well) would be refreshing then as few tech freaks would have been bored the I's & Droids ?
That is if Nokia Brand name carries the same weight two years down the line. Worldwide, Nokia has already slipped from Top and is continuing to do so.

Though Microsoft can still bring up positive surprises (Like Kinnect ), but would that be a case of Too little too late? Only time will tell.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 16th March 2011 at 09:05.
Old 16th March 2011, 09:49   #7881
Senior - BHPian

just back from a couple of weeks in the UK
tried using my N8 Maps.

this is just feedback in case anyone else wishes to try it
It simply doesnt work without an internet connection - I didnt use my india SIM but bought a local SIM there - I had to try and change the internet access settings etc to get my Phone GPS map application to work.
Unfortunately it didnt succeed at all - the India connection from Vodafone just wouldnt move out as the default connection.

I was able to access the email and everything else with the UK connection but maps would simply not orientate.
Perhaps I was doing something wrong but I dont know

cheers
Old 16th March 2011, 11:08   #7882
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its software is horrible. As Thad points out, even simple activities like Syncing maps require way too much user interaction.
I did not have any problem syncing maps as I did not switch to Ovi.
At the present time, I use Nokia PC Suite 7.1.51.0
And it works fine.
Quote:
Thats true, as long as it is used as a phone it works fine. Software plays spoilsport.
UMTS speeds in Germany were great. Gmail was good. Google Maps was good. Nokia's native maps was good. Fring was good.
I also think the games on the Nokia N82 were great.
The included PanoMan app was good. It did panoramic stitching all on the phone itself. The software analyzes how two pictures fit together and automatically snaps when it "thinks" the fit is right. You basically start off by shooting one image. It then saves this image and displays it on the screen, while showing a live camera view next to it. Now all you need to do, is keep a steady hand and pan to the right. This allows it to see how the next image would "fit" when put next to the image already taken. As you gently pan the phone, PanoMan automatically snaps frames on the N82 as it sees them fit with each other.

All this is software not hardware. Android and iOS would cry for more CPU power and substantial onboard memory to achieve the same.

Ram
Old 16th March 2011, 13:35   #7883
Distinguished - BHPian

I do agree about the N82 camera for close-up work: it is incredible. However, navigating the menus is painful. The Nokia software seems like it was written by a sixty-year-old bachelor, with the brief, "give us something teenagers will like"!

Anyway, that's me and my N82. I don't use it for browsing. I don't think I could use a screen that size on any device for browsing, so I don't blame the phone for that. Similarly, the maps are as good as I can expect given the screen size, and have proved very useful quite a few times. I do like my N82 GPS; just, I'd like a bigger screen. Bigger, even, than the affordable PNSs that we discuss in the GPS thread!
Old 16th March 2011, 13:38   #7884
BHPian

Quote:
The included PanoMan app was good. It did panoramic stitching all on the phone itself.
Not sure that's something path-breaking. My 4 year old Sony Ericsson w550i feature phone (not a smart phone) could do that too.
Old 16th March 2011, 15:56   #7885
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
However, navigating the menus is painful. The Nokia software seems like it was written by a sixty-year-old bachelor, with the brief, "give us something teenagers will like"!

...I do like my N82 GPS; just, I'd like a bigger screen. Bigger, even, than the affordable PNSs that we discuss in the GPS thread!
That's hits the nail on the head.

True. The screen could have been bigger.

And True. the nesting on the menus could have been shallower.
I once attended classes in UI design in Ottawa. And one of the lessons was: Menu design is always a trade-off.

Having said that, there were a couple of short-cut features on the N82, I always used.
  1. Keeping the end call button pressed for an elongated time, would force-disconnect the data connection, saving money.
  2. Holding the menu button down for an elongated time, would show all the apps running concurrently.
  3. And Hitting the D-pad down direction, would jump into the browser and open the default URL.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:57   #7886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
... It simply doesnt work without an internet connection - ... but maps would simply not orientate.
Perhaps I was doing something wrong but I dont know ...
You weren't patient enough, perhaps. It definitely works. I tried out Nokia map for Qatar week before last without a data connection (I kept refusing the data connection request), and it works like a charm. When it gets a fix, that is.

1. The map should be pre-loaded before you look for satellite fix. I had loaded the Qatar map before flying out. When I landed and switched on the phone (during the rather long bus journey to the terminal), it took about 4 minutes to get a fix and showed the position on the airport peripheral road correctly. Didn't even ask me to select appropriate map
2. When trying for the first time in a new place, one has to be outdoors for a quicker fix. At least leave it near a window which has a clear sky view. May take 2-10 minutes
Old 16th March 2011, 20:46   #7887
BHPian

Hi All,

Guys i am looking for a dual sim ( GSM + CDMA ) for my sister

Current operators ( MTS and Vodafone)

I have checked out SAMSUNG W259 ( which looks overpriced( 5,800) compared to specs) can someone please suggest some good alternative.

I have heard about c2-02 which would be much better but has not be releases ( i can see the phone in the website but non avaliable with any nokia dealer.

Main usage : need dual sim ( GSM + CDMA ) both active , music , decent camera ,file sharing mode. buget Rs 5,000. Approx.

Kindly advise .

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 16th March 2011 at 21:11.
Old 16th March 2011, 20:48   #7888
Senior - BHPian

I have used the Nokia maps in Thailand, Indonesia, US etc. It works. The maps are not great, but it certainly works once the GPS fix is achieved.

I agree on the user interface on nokia. It was the best in olden times when motorola, alcatel and siemens had cumbersome menus. But the new generation smartphones taken over. E72 will be my last Nokia unless I see anything even close to what iphone has.
Old 16th March 2011, 23:04   #7889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And True. the nesting on the menus could have been shallower.
I once attended classes in UI design in Ottawa. And one of the lessons was: Menu design is always a trade-off.
I don't mind depth, I mind lack of logic. I mind having to explore the whole wretched thing to find something I don't use very often. I mind that there are navigation features under tools/connectivity!
Old 17th March 2011, 00:47   #7890
BHPian

Quote:
@CrAzY dRiVeR, I agree with you.

Being a dying platform, with lower specs than the N8, they should have priced it at Rs. 18,000, not a paisa more.

It is so much less phone than the Rs. 22,642 Nokia N8.

The Nokia E7’s camera has neither autofocus nor Xenon flash -- both strengths of the earlier Nokia N8.

And the E7 has no microSD card memory expandability.

And the “HDMI-Out” and “USB on-the-go cables” which came free with the Nokia N8, are no longer part of the Nokia E7 sales package.

The Nokia N8 can be slowly charged by connecting it to a PC, via microUSB. It can also be charged at the regular speed, by using the familiar charger with 2 mm jack. However the “new” Nokia E7 has no 2 mm jack facility!

Nobody disputes that the Symbian smartphone platform started the smartphone trend.

Despite their early lead, Symbian's leadership could not manage to attract as many smartphone applications (apps) as iOS or Android.
Now, with substantially less money to be made, and a platform that Nokia has proclaimed they will discontinue in two years, why will developers want to develop for Symbian at all ?

Had Nokia joined the Android revolution, their phones would have combined superlative hardware with solid software, but that was not to be.

The villains? Microsoft! A relative nobody in the smartphone ecosystem, Microsoft paid Nokia over a billion dollars to keep them away from Android.

The Nokia E7 is a case of too little, too late from Nokia.

All the above comments shows most of users don't have a thorough understanding about the phone and it's specs.

Most of you think that
1GHZ = Super Speed UI
512 GB RAM = No Hanging or freezing
8 MP Camera Fixed focus = Useless

Well, that's not the case. If you are really tech savvy then many points that you mentioned are incorrect.
1. N8 and E7 are completely different phones. Please understand that.
2. E7 is shipped with all the cables.
3. The reason for no MicroSD is not the cramped space of E7 circuitry, use logic Tell me truely how many of you are really business phone users and how many have actually put more than 10GB of data? It's got USB on the go so that the files can not only be transfered but played from it IF REQUIRED
4. If you read the specs of E7 correctly you'll know that the MicroUSB charging in E7 is equal to the normal charger that you use on N8 or any phone
5. I tried out the 8MP and when used correctly it takes good pics.
6. Symbian runs well on 680MHz itself and has better multitasking capabilities

Have you compared the SPECS of E7 and iPHONE?

I have been using my E90 for 4years now, till date no issues, never given it to service center.

I watch Movies on it, am happy with 3.2 MP (I know it is autofocus cam on this phone with Carl Zeiss optics) in emergency, watch TV channels, Take Office Conf calls by using skype for hrs, uSe video calling with my Friends having 3G, Chat with friends using messengers, Get office mails in Mail for Exchange and Personal using Nokia messaging, Connect my phone to Laptop for web using Bluetooth or cable, Have Office 2010 support, Adobe PDF , Use it as wireless webcam (Mobiola Webcam App), Have Anti virus, Use GPS with Voice Navigation while travelling across states and in city.

How many of you use these features in the phone or use the phone so extensively? Now that the successor for communicator is here E7, I will go for it and use it like it is to be used and not like a flashy expensive gadget for phone calls.

Last edited by inder_s1 : 17th March 2011 at 01:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks