Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 12:06   #7486
MCR
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Well after my recent comments regarding the Android and Symbian OS, I wanted to really give an Android based phone a try. Currently I am using Nokia 5800 Express music with Symbian OS and more than happy with it. However I have decided to buy HTC wildfire with Android 2.1 (Eclair). I am going to have my Nokia 5800 as a comparator. I will use both HTC Wildfire and Nokia 5800 Express music for the next 6 months. At the end of the 6 months, I am going to do a reality check. If I feel I am happy with Android, I will go ahead and buy HTC Desire. Else I will buy the Nokia N8.

But my mind still says N8 is a champion considering, HDMI output and direct USB interface.

Last edited by MCR : 25th December 2010 at 12:08.
Old 25th December 2010, 13:09   #7487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Well after my recent comments regarding the Android and Symbian OS, I wanted to really give an Android based phone a try. Currently I am using Nokia 5800 Express music with Symbian OS and more than happy with it. However I have decided to buy HTC wildfire with Android 2.1 (Eclair). I am going to have my Nokia 5800 as a comparator. I will use both HTC Wildfire and Nokia 5800 Express music for the next 6 months. At the end of the 6 months, I am going to do a reality check. If I feel I am happy with Android, I will go ahead and buy HTC Desire. Else I will buy the Nokia N8.

But my mind still says N8 is a champion considering, HDMI output and direct USB interface.
Please dont go for the wildfire,Spec wise it is beaten by every other mobile phone in the 10k-20k category

An optimus one would be your best bet for a trail android
Old 25th December 2010, 14:39   #7488
A.R
BHPian

I just got myself a Nokia C7. I found it to be one of the best built Nokia phones released off late. Camera is 8MP and is fine, though fixed focus. The UI and features are just amazing.
Old 25th December 2010, 22:20   #7489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I will use both HTC Wildfire and Nokia 5800 Express music for the next 6 months. At the end of the 6 months, I am going to do a reality check.
I have to respect your patience. But in 6 months you will have 6 more models to choose from

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 25th December 2010 at 22:26.
Old 26th December 2010, 13:05   #7490
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Please dont go for the wildfire,Spec wise it is beaten by every other mobile phone in the 10k-20k category

An optimus one would be your best bet for a trail android
Thanks for the advice bluengel. HTC wildfire may be discontinued. This is what the personnel from "The mobile store" and "Univercell" told me. Also LG Optimus 1 was out of stock. Saw HTC Desire, was impressed but the sales staff at Univercell told me that I have to book it.

Next stop was at Nokia Priority. This is my friends store. Checked out C7 and N8. Was impressed with N8. But again the story of no stock continued. C7 was readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I have to respect your patience. But in 6 months you will have 6 more models to choose from
. Yes. But low end Androids(12k - 15k) are not in stock as of now. Either there are too many takers or absolutely no takers.
Old 26th December 2010, 19:11   #7491
MCR
BHPian

I am unable to find a decent Android phone. The specs on the Nokia C7 is tempting me a lot.

Key features
Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support
Penta-band 3G with 10.2 Mbps HSDPA and 2 Mbps HSUPA support
10.5mm slim body
3.5" 16M-color AMOLED capacitive touchscreen of 640 x 360 pixel resolution
8 megapixel fixed-focus camera with dual-LED flash and 720p video @ 25fps recording; geotagging, face detection
Symbian^3 OS
680 MHz ARM 11 CPU and 256 MB RAM
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
TV-out functionality (SD)
GPS receiver with A-GPS support and free lifetime voice-guided navigation
Digital compass
8GB on-board storage, microSD expandable
Active noise cancellation with a dedicated mic
DivX and XviD video support
Built-in accelerometer and proximity sensor
Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
Stereo FM Radio with RDS, FM transmitter
microUSB port with USB On-the-go support
Flash and Java support for the web browser
Stereo Bluetooth 3.0
Excellent audio quality
Smart dialing and voice commands

Specifications courtesy : GSM arena.
May be my Android v Symbain shoot-out may not happen, unless I can find a decent Android phone.
Old 26th December 2010, 19:36   #7492
BHPian

People go for android for it UI,one aspect the Symbian cannot match
Old 26th December 2010, 21:15   #7493
Senior - BHPian

here are some pictures taken in and around Ooty over the weekend with my N8.

forced to re-size some pics on account of the max upload limit of 1mb on tbhp.

in my opinion, Nokia has made a masterpiece with this 12mp camera with carl zeiss optics!
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-24122010080.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-24122010075.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-dianthus.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-geranium.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-club-lawn.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-panoramic-tea.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-distant-hills.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-bus.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th December 2010 at 21:23.
Old 26th December 2010, 23:29   #7494
Distinguished - BHPian

That looks nice. Many, many times better than my N82, which also boasts Carl Zeiss optics.

Actually, it takes amazing close-up, even macro, pics, but views and landscapes are just flat and featureless. Your landscapes are much better.
Old 27th December 2010, 01:33   #7495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That looks nice. Many, many times better than my N82, which also boasts Carl Zeiss optics.
After using nokias I have found that carl zeiss is nothing but hype, unless coupled with excellent software and other peripherals.

However, I use my phone as scanning device and so most important aspect for me is autofocus and macro mode.
Old 27th December 2010, 06:52   #7496
Senior - BHPian

the photos from my N82 were also quite amazing despite it being only a 5mp camera. I think Carl Zeiss optics make all the difference notwithstanding what anyone may say!
here are a few pics attached taken with the N82.
both close-ups and landscapes

Quote:

Actually, it takes amazing close-up, even macro, pics, but views and landscapes are just flat and featureless. Your landscapes are much better.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-04092010554.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-16092010559.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-30092010573.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-30102010623.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-30102010622.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-20022010313.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-14022010311.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th December 2010 at 06:55.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:07   #7497
BHPian

I am a novice in using mobile phones.

I was looking for a touch screen phone with atleast 3MP camera and 3G.

ezone has a android based Acer beTouch e110 at Rs. 6400, which has most of these plus the GPS.

I have never used any GPS device and was not sure if it would be easy to use through a phone or have a separate device in the car.

My main concern is the easy of use and updated maps.

Is the phone worth buying at this price (Rs. 6400)
beTouch E110 Details - Acer Mobile

Any alternatives in the same price range?
Old 27th December 2010, 10:31   #7498
BANNED

neon_daytona - that is android 1.5; current version is 2.2. Will / does Acer provide upgrades?

If upgrades are not an issue, that is good deal.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:33   #7499
Distinguished - BHPian

From Shankar and Vivek... contradictory points of view on the Nokia Carl Zeiss optics!

My "main" camera is only 5Mp. I suppose this influences my disappointment in the result of 5Mp on the phone. I suppose one might say that it would have been worse without the CZ lens!

Of course, diamond is diamond, but there will always be a difference between 1ct and 0.0001ct!
Old 27th December 2010, 16:04   #7500
Senior - BHPian

thad - why not judge basis the snaps I ve put up - in my mind they are the clearest indicator of the quality levels of carl zeiss lenses on the nokia phones and the nokia phone camera abilities!

Quote:
From Shankar and Vivek... contradictory points of view on the Nokia Carl Zeiss optics!

My "main" camera is only 5Mp. I suppose this influences my disappointment in the result of 5Mp on the phone. I suppose one might say that it would have been worse without the CZ lens!

Of course, diamond is diamond, but there will always be a difference between 1ct and 0.0001ct!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks