Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 02:05   #7426
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* iPhone 3G/3GS are locked to carriers in US, though one can get them unlocked in India
Hello DerAlte, is the solution you are talking about software unlock (ultrasn0w and others) or there is some permanent unlock solution for iPhones available in India?
Old 14th December 2010, 09:16   #7427
Senior - BHPian

E5 Queries

Guys,
I want to pick up a new phone and was considering buying the Nokia E5.

My requirements are,
1. Check email.
2. Social networking.
3. Should be able to connect the phone to a wifi network.
4. Surf websites.
5. 3G.
6. GPS.

Is this phone good for all the above? Are there any other phones that I can have a look at within the price range of 10K?
Old 14th December 2010, 12:56   #7428
Senior - BHPian

Re: E5 Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Guys,
I want to pick up a new phone and was considering buying the Nokia E5.

My requirements are,
1. Check email.
2. Social networking.
3. Should be able to connect the phone to a wifi network.
4. Surf websites.
5. 3G.
6. GPS.

Is this phone good for all the above? Are there any other phones that I can have a look at within the price range of 10K?
Hey,

I think that the requirements you have listed should be fulfilled by E5 properly My cousin had the same list + 2 more things,

1. White color availability
2. Good Battery backup.

Both of which were available in E5. Its been over a month and she isnt facing any issues with the E5. I am currently using E71 and in plans to switch over to E5 (wont actually call it an upgrade).
Old 14th December 2010, 13:05   #7429
Senior - BHPian

Re: E5 Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hey,

I think that the requirements you have listed should be fulfilled by E5 properly My cousin had the same list + 2 more things,

1. White color availability
2. Good Battery backup.

Both of which were available in E5. Its been over a month and she isnt facing any issues with the E5. I am currently using E71 and in plans to switch over to E5 (wont actually call it an upgrade).
Thanks for your reply. I have ordered mine today and have also applied for a 3G sim from BSNL. Should have both by this evening.

Yes, even I ordered white.
Old 17th December 2010, 09:06   #7430
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I bought an Android SE X10 mini for my Dad, in June, 10 and one X10 (the big daddy) for my uncle in Sep, 10. Since then, I'm going crazy over the Android!
I presently own a SE W705 and want to upgrade to an Android. Don't want X10 (neither mini nor pro) as we have 2 of them already and I'm a little tight on my budget. Just then saw the our own Indian Micromax A60 ad and I was like
Read a lot of reviews and everything seems to be positive. So, can I go for it?
It costs a little over INR 6500 and a *perfect* VFM. No doubts on that.
My query is regarding the after sales service. Do anyone own a Micromax here? Any help would be grateful

P.S: I checked out Samsung's Galaxy 3 and I'm not impressed. Somehow the design seems to be mundane for me. No offence meant.
Old 17th December 2010, 10:27   #7431
Senior - BHPian

Please check the android phone thread:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...s-reviews.html
Old 17th December 2010, 10:43   #7432
Senior - BHPian

Please advise me on whether I should buy an N8. I really like the phone (largely on account of its sleek looks and 12 mp camera)

My main needs on a phone are calls, sms, mms, email (gmail), a couple of mobi apps,
and camera has to be top class - i love my N82 Carl Zeiss lens 5mp camera - it really takes great pics.
Can one's business email be configured onto the N8 in addition to gmail etc or not?

Also would like to know if the N8 Camera can be covered like the N82 can.

And is it a 3G phone or not because my service provider VODAFONE I understand is launching 3G next week or the week after.
lastly is it also a SMARTPHONE?

Sorry If I sound stupid but I am not really big time into Mobile devices as an interest area or hobby.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th December 2010 at 10:44.
Old 17th December 2010, 10:58   #7433
BHPian

I think N8 fits your needs. Find my replies below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please advise me on whether I should buy an N8. I really like the phone (largely on account of its sleek looks and 12 mp camera)

My main needs on a phone are calls, sms, mms, email (gmail), a couple of mobi apps,
and camera has to be top class - i love my N82 Carl Zeiss lens 5mp camera - it really takes great pics.
Can one's business email be configured onto the N8 in addition to gmail etc or not?

N8 has the best camera among mobiles now. If camera is a major reqmnt N8 is the phone to go for. Yes you can configure POP3 mail servers in addition to gmail and Nokia messaging account is quite easy to use.

Apps wise, Symbian^3 is not upto the levels of iOS or Android. But still has a great collection of Apps.

No N8 camera cannot be covered

And is it a 3G phone or not because my service provider VODAFONE I understand is launching 3G next week or the week after.

Yes it is a 3G smartphone.

Sorry If I sound stupid but I am not really big time into Mobile devices as an interest area or hobby.
Old 17th December 2010, 12:53   #7434
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, N8 meets your needs. it is a 3g smart phone which allows you to sync your mail, calendar, contacts, notes etc with MS Exchange and also you can have multiple mail clients like gmail. The camera is very good.
Old 17th December 2010, 13:18   #7435
Senior - BHPian

thank you Suvi and ArunKK

Couple more queries

Given that the following three;
1. I Phone
2. N8
3. Samsung Galaxy i 9000 dont seem to have much of a differential in price, which is the one to go after?

I know the camera on the other 2 arent as hot as the N8 but otherwise, how would you rate them and why?

On account of the N8 camera being un-cover-able, is there likelihood of scratches and damage?
Because it has a touch screen, wont that get affected by constant storage in the pocket?
Or would you recommend that one gets a belt type clip on or some other type carry case for the N8?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the stupid sounding queries - but I m really quite thick-skulled when it comes to mobile phone tech gadgetry/ wizardry.
Old 17th December 2010, 13:51   #7436
BHPian

Quote:
thank you Suvi and ArunKK

Couple more queries

Given that the following three;
1. I Phone
2. N8
3. Samsung Galaxy i 9000 dont seem to have much of a differential in price, which is the one to go after?

I know the camera on the other 2 arent as hot as the N8 but otherwise, how would you rate them and why?

On account of the N8 camera being un-cover-able, is there likelihood of scratches and damage?
Because it has a touch screen, wont that get affected by constant storage in the pocket?
Or would you recommend that one gets a belt type clip on or some other type carry case for the N8?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the stupid sounding queries - but I m really quite thick-skulled when it comes to mobile phone tech gadgetry/ wizardry.
Iphone -- Best UI & Apps collection. Cons are high price, factory locking and dependency with itunes etc
Samsung Galaxy S -- Arguably the best among android lot. Great screen & Good collection of Apps after iphone.
N8 - Best in camera & specs. Many features like 12MP camera, USB on-the-go, HDMI out, lifetime free GPS navigation etc are not available in the competitors. But Symbian UI feels aged and Apps collection is not as good as others.

Among the lot I would pick Galaxy S or wait for Google Nexus S and is truly my personal choice.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:18   #7437
Senior - BHPian

thanks arun
will check them out.
I dont have a problem with factory locked I Phone because anyway Im on vodafone and have been with them for 8-9 years and vodafone is one of the service providers to I Phone.

Anyway am never in a hurry to buy these toys so Im easy with the time frame
shall do some fiddling at some friendly neighbourhood electronics store and figure
cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Iphone -- Best UI & Apps collection. Cons are high price, factory locking and dependency with itunes etc
Samsung Galaxy S -- Arguably the best among android lot. Great screen & Good collection of Apps after iphone.
N8 - Best in camera & specs. Many features like 12MP camera, USB on-the-go, HDMI out, lifetime free GPS navigation etc are not available in the competitors. But Symbian UI feels aged and Apps collection is not as good as others.

Among the lot I would pick Galaxy S or wait for Google Nexus S and is truly my personal choice.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th December 2010 at 15:19.
Old 18th December 2010, 06:53   #7438
Senior - BHPian

I have just had my mind opened up a bit while doing research yesterday in shops about mobile phones

I love the look and feel of the N8 and most of its features which appeal to me a great deal.

But I am advised by several people that if I were to make the switch to Android I will never look back on account of a whole new world out there with Android Applications and User Interface.

Hence Im biding my time till 3G gets launched by Vodafone my service provider and until Google Nexus gets launched too.

Samsung Galaxy is also worth evaluating I think.

I dont fit into the typical I Phone bracket because I dont like them telling me what I can and cannot do with my phone in terms of applications.

My biggest challenge is that I am terribly used to Nokia's user-friendliness - I do believe I can navigate around my Nokia phone blindfolded. thats the thing

So what would the experts on board here advise?

Would love to hear some more from our friends on TBHP

cheers
Old 18th December 2010, 13:04   #7439
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
I have just had my mind opened up a bit while doing research yesterday in shops about mobile phones

Would love to hear some more from our friends on TBHP

cheers
Shankar, Vodafone does not have a 3G license in Karnataka IMO. Strange but that is what praja's Raja has decided. However, I would suggest you N8. This is because, Symbian is a more complete OS as compared to Android IMHO. Also with N8 you get HD video and direct USB interface. These two are killer features which are not available in N8 not available in other phones mentioned by you. Also Samsung phones have a history of glitches and bad service reputation. I would go for N8 blindly.
Old 18th December 2010, 13:27   #7440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
SThis is because, Symbian is a more complete OS as compared to Android IMHO.
Blasphemous statement, that! You are going to get a lot of brickbats for that one here mate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks