Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 03:33   #7411
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

The N8 that i had purchased late October became bad within two weeks and it took Nokia service one month to return the handset. The phone used to hang during photo and video shoot and one day just went dead and would not switch on.
Anybody here facing similar issues with N8?
Old 11th December 2010, 07:27   #7412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Guys, I need suggestions real quick, as my friend will be back from US on 26th if this month.

Also, how to get the best deals for mobiles in US?. Dallas, TX to be precise.
Go to dell's website. They have electronics section where mobiles are always for sale. I got n900 for $350 6 months back when it was not launched in India. N8 was recently on sale at dell's website for $450. you can also check newegg.com which has unlocked phones.

i would say, unlocked phones from US are less expensive, but they don't cover international warranty. So for piece of mind, its better to buy from India.

Get go phones from t-mobile or att. They go for very less price. You can get phones like Sony vivaz, nokia 2720, lg vu c920 and stuff for less than $100.

And finally you have amazon.com and ebay.com which are reliable too.

Sony satio and aino are selling for $400 odd on amazon's website. don't know what price they go for in India.
Old 11th December 2010, 09:06   #7413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
@rohan_iitr GPS issue has been discussed somewhere before... I guess in the Bada thread. You may want to search there.

Hope you know that the Wave 525 and its siblings suffer from very low screen resolution. Consider it only if you are ok with that.

Card reader can be had for as low as Rs. 30 or so.
Yes the screen resolution of the Wave 525 is lower compared to Nokia touch screen phones. But when seen in person, I could not make out any difference. Screen resolution would matter if one is interested in watching videos on it, but for normal use I found the resolution to be good enough (for its price).

I am discussing about GPS in Wave 525 in the Bada thread also.

Rohan
Old 11th December 2010, 09:26   #7414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
... It(3g) retails for about 32k($750) in India. ...
Are you sure iPhone 3G is available in US? It is 2 generations old! Shops don't carry discontinued stuff in US, you will need to search on eBay (if any unused pieces are available) or craigslist for used ones.

Also,
* iPhone 3G/3GS are locked to carriers in US, though one can get them unlocked in India
* What seems cheaper in US will not have any warranty in India
* India has a better variety available in shops as compared to US

Last edited by DerAlte : 11th December 2010 at 09:28.
Old 12th December 2010, 00:29   #7415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Yes the screen resolution of the Wave 525 is lower compared to Nokia touch screen phones. But when seen in person, I could not make out any difference. Screen resolution would matter if one is interested in watching videos on it, but for normal use I found the resolution to be good enough (for its price).

I am discussing about GPS in Wave 525 in the Bada thread also.

Rohan
I don't think so - it would make a difference even when you are seeing small fonts, web surfing, etc. Also icons will look bigger. 240 x 400 is considered below acceptable level for 3.2" screen. If all these things don't matter or your use involves only calling and texting then of course these things don't matter.

IMO, screen is one of the most imp. part of a smartphone because that is what you will be looking at most of the time, when you are using the phone. That is except when talking. And the lower end Waves fail on that front, as do the 2 lower end Galaxies.

Last edited by Raccoon : 12th December 2010 at 00:32.
Old 12th December 2010, 15:02   #7416
BHPian

Hi,

Any opnion on samsung omnia 652.

I am looking for a phone which as decent 3-4 days of battery life. Generally samsung have bad battery life and how is ease of use for this phone.

I am using currently Nokia E63 and have been a blackberry user for a few years. I am planning to buy this as i need a second phone for my personal sim.

Any other phone suggestions are also welcome.

cheers
Old 12th December 2010, 18:42   #7417
Senior - BHPian

Got an X2 with 2 GB memory card for 5.1K. Could not do much of asking around. 20 minutes is all I could spare outside my home, had spent some time yesterday on the net looking around, and felt that X2 is the best option.

Trying to backup my old address book into this phone as I am writing this.

So, thanks guys for your responses. Guess the android will have to wait for some more time.

BTW, found a listing on ebay for an antivirus software for the X2. I am like w/t/f?? Do such low end phones require antivirus software?

Also, do our phones store sensitive data like passwords on them? How do you protect them while giving for servicing? How do we protect such info when emergencies like mine happen (blanked / non working screen due to dropping).

Edit - changaez - if all you want is a phone, consider Nokia 2730c (3G capable). Wife is using it, and battery backup is upto 6 days. Battery life depends on screen size too, so you need to specify some minimum screen size you are looking for for useful feedback.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 12th December 2010 at 18:46.
Old 12th December 2010, 19:18   #7418
BHPian

@BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : I really don't have any preference in terms of the screen size. The ease of use and battery life are the two most important things for me.

I mostly SMS, make calls and sometimes browse using the WI FI and i have been using the BB and E63 for a while now. When i read about the Samsung omnia it sounds great to me, but the battery life for Samsung has always been a suspect.

Another query, Do the Andoroids have good battery life ? When i am reading the specifications on the various website they don't seem to be last more than a day or two. Any opinions on these.

cheers
Old 12th December 2010, 19:23   #7419
Team-BHP Support

After reading a few posts here, I had almost decided on the Nokia N8. (I wanted the Wave so badly, but was too late in deciding! )

But- WARNING to all those planning to buy N8- The phone has been reported to have manufacturing issues, where it just switches off and doesnt restart again. My brother's friend's brand new N8 also shut down and didnt boot up.

Few links that came up while searching for this-

Nokia Support Discussions - Re: Is the N8-00 manufacturing problem fixed? When... - Nokia Support Discussions

Finland: Some phones have a manufacturing defect N8
Old 12th December 2010, 19:41   #7420
BHPian

another phone in the same series is the Samsung Omina Pro http://http://www.samsung.com/in/con...=specification

are there any users of this phone in the forum, please advise on the ease of use and battery life.

Thanks
Old 13th December 2010, 07:30   #7421
Senior - BHPian

If you can get your hands on the iphone 4 factory unlocked, there is nothing like it. This thing it's like a dream, when it works. Mind blowing collection of apps. What is the point in buying an N8 for a around half of that when in any case you gonna be lusting for the features of the iphone 4. In fact using the i4 generates new respect for the iPad and the possibilities the bigger screen can offer. Not an apple fanboy by any measure, but just to pay respect where it's due.
Old 13th December 2010, 11:33   #7422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is the point in buying an N8 for a around half of that when in any case you gonna be lusting for the features of the iphone 4.
That half is a considerable sum!

The real killer for me, though, iPhone-wise, is I don't run Windows, and wouldn't run iTunes even if I did, so, even if I did have lots of money in the gadget account, the undoubtedly beautiful iPhone is not on my desirables list.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:26   #7423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
If you can get your hands on the iphone 4 factory unlocked, there is nothing like it. This thing it's like a dream, when it works. Mind blowing collection of apps. What is the point in buying an N8 for a around half of that when in any case you gonna be lusting for the features of the iphone 4. In fact using the i4 generates new respect for the iPad and the possibilities the bigger screen can offer. Not an apple fanboy by any measure, but just to pay respect where it's due.
Features wise iphone4 is far far behind N8. The major +ve of iphone is its amazing Apps collection & the best UI which others are still trying to match. Other than that I dont like Apple's closed business model of them deciding which apps we should use.
Old 14th December 2010, 01:24   #7424
Senior - BHPian

I know that this is slightly OT but I think this is more appropriate here than in the joke thread

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-phones.jpg

Source
Old 14th December 2010, 01:52   #7425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Go to dell's website. They have electronics section where mobiles are always for sale. I got n900 for $350 6 months back when it was not launched in India. N8 was recently on sale at dell's website for $450. you can also check newegg.com which has unlocked phones.

i would say, unlocked phones from US are less expensive, but they don't cover international warranty. So for piece of mind, its better to buy from India.

Get go phones from t-mobile or att. They go for very less price. You can get phones like Sony vivaz, nokia 2720, lg vu c920 and stuff for less than $100.

And finally you have amazon.com and ebay.com which are reliable too.

Sony satio and aino are selling for $400 odd on amazon's website. don't know what price they go for in India.

Thank you very much for the links chevelle. Yes, I guess it would be better for me to buy from India, also, I don't think my friend can get contract locked phones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks