Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2010, 16:50   #7381
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
A colleague bought C6-00 yesterday. The slider is notchy and has lot of play. The camera inspite of being 5MP is strictly average. The phone looks and feels platicky and is heavy. Overall, money not well spent. Try Garmin Asus A10 instead.
Thanks for the quick review.

I am always wary of these sliders. But apart from the build quality and bulkiness, is there any other technical issue with C6-00 ?

Please check again with your colleague after a few days. Many people have reported frequent hanging problem in this model. Has the problem been rectified with a firmware upgrade ?

Rohan
Old 8th December 2010, 21:27   #7382
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Why did I buy a Nokia N8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Only thing stopping me from buying the N8 is the OS.
We keep the phone only for 24 months anyway.

I asked myself:
1) Do I really want to try out the world's biggest mobile maker's best flagship effort after they received a bashing from the smartphone industry ?

2) Can I put up with Symbian^3 and its promised quarterly updates for the next 8 quarters?"

My answers to both questions was, "Certainly!"

So I decided to live with the
drop-tested aluminium alloy Nokia N8, with its Corning Gorilla glass display,
12 megapixel autofocus Carl Zeiss Tessar, Xenon flash, world's largest phone camera sensor, 720p HD video, Dolby Digital Plus sound, FLV, MP4, AVI, DivX out-of-the-box player, USB-on-the-go, FM transmitter, free turn-by-turn GPS voice-guided navigation, metallic Tangerine Orange finish,
et al.

No Android or iPhone holds a candle to these features yet.

And after all, were Google's Android to actually survive those 24 months in the face of competition with every new challenger born during those 24 months. And were it to mature and grow in robustness and UI pleasantness, I might even consider switching from Symbian to Android.
Old 8th December 2010, 21:53   #7383
BHPian

Ram,

Is it possible to have the link/shortcut to emails and the calander on the home screen on N8 as it is possible on Nokia E71?
Old 8th December 2010, 22:29   #7384
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Ram,

Is it possible to have the link/shortcut to emails and the calander on the home screen on N8 as it is possible on Nokia E71?
Certainly vvrchandra. The Nokia N8 has three home screens.
In fact, I have email as a shortcut on one homescreen and calendar on another homescreen. But one can choose to have both on the same homescreen.
Old 8th December 2010, 22:41   #7385
BHPian

Ram - the phone might be all what it has been touted as but my manager (who bought one 10 days ago) is having a horrendous time with it. It hangs each time he wants to open the photo gallery and the battery does not last even a single day. He is a die-hard Nokia fan but feels that the phone has let him down badly. That is the only N8 I have seen around so not sure if other users are also faring equally bad.
Old 9th December 2010, 08:17   #7386
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
..but my manager (who bought one 10 days ago) is having a horrendous time with it. It hangs each time ...
Well, what can I say? I've been using my Nokia N8 since Wed. 27th Oct 2010. It has been well-behaved since day-one to this day. It has not misbehaved even once!

So what do I do different?
For one thing, I allow a max. of 4 or 5 applications to run simultaneously.
You can close the ones you don't want.

Before the N8, my earlier Nokia smartphones have been a Mar. 2005 Nokia 3230, Oct. 2006 Nokia N73 and a Dec. 2007 Nokia N82.

All these smartphones could simultaneously open multiple applications. It was when I had the Nokia 3230 -- my first multitasking phone, that I discovered that applications could be accidentally forgotten, running in the background, using up memory. You have to close or kill applications that you don't need running simultaneously.
Old 9th December 2010, 11:23   #7387
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Ram - the phone might be all what it has been touted as but my manager (who bought one 10 days ago) is having a horrendous time with it. It hangs each time he wants to open the photo gallery and the battery does not last even a single day. He is a die-hard Nokia fan but feels that the phone has let him down badly. That is the only N8 I have seen around so not sure if other users are also faring equally bad.
Hi, may be the person is using too many applications in the background.
And also the case may be that his Wifi, GPS are always ON.
Some applications use internet connection for constant updates may be this is the case as by default Nokia has kept the connections automatic.
Ask him to go through the settings for connections may taht will solve the problem.

Also Nokia N8 Owners, there is a "Phone Apps" update which states that it improves the stability and performance of the phone.
I don't know for what app was this update but after searching some say it could be for the Music and Photo gallery but not sure.

And yes Swype is now available on Ovi store, Takes some practice to learn but then it is very fast.

Also in near future expect a firmware update that makes the phone more responsive and also QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode will be available.
It is also said that the current lagging issue of the phone will be sorted out as it is the UI that is causing the problem.

Its good that Nokia is offering support for the N8.
Old 9th December 2010, 12:05   #7388
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I bought my wife a Nokia C6 2 days ago. White color. Pretty decent fone. The only issue i am facing so far is configuring her emails on that. She has subscribed to VMC. The thing is it has a feature where you can set priorities in network connections so we have our home wifi (1) & VMC (2). when on home home wifi her messengers and emails work fine, the moment she is out of home network, nothing work. when you go to web browser you can surf the net.

All the all the phone is a bit funny. The day we got it we had some issues. we started the fone after installing some application and the phone wouldnt turn on and instead gave a message "START UP FAILED, PLEASE CONTACT RETAILER"

I did some reading and found out the problem can be solved by hard reset and upgradation of firmware and software. Did that and is back to normal now. I need some help here in regards to the C6 email set up.

thanks
Old 9th December 2010, 12:28   #7389
Distinguished - BHPian

I read today that Huawei (is that how to spell it?) is going to hit our market with low-priced phones, including smart phones at under Rs10,000.

When I first saw it, my original BSNL Huawei ADSL modem looked like typical cheap chinese rubbish --- but proved to be totally reliable over several years. It outlived my Compaq computer, for a start!
Old 9th December 2010, 14:15   #7390
BANNED

Re: Why did I buy a Nokia N8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
We keep the phone only for 24 months anyway.
Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to get one early next month.

But somehow I was quite happy with N900 and Maemo. If they had got the N8 with Maemo I wouldnt have had a single issue. But they wont.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:41   #7391
BHPian

Re: Why did I buy a Nokia N8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to get one early next month.

But somehow I was quite happy with N900 and Maemo. If they had got the N8 with Maemo I wouldnt have had a single issue. But they wont.
I feel you need not worry much about Symbian ^3. Most of the older applications S60v5 are compatible with Symbian^3 also. And since N8 is selling good numbers and Nokia is going to introduce many more models with the Symbian3, more and more apps will come for sure.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:54   #7392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I read today that Huawei (is that how to spell it?) is going to hit our market with low-priced phones, including smart phones at under Rs10,000.

When I first saw it, my original BSNL Huawei ADSL modem looked like typical cheap chinese rubbish --- but proved to be totally reliable over several years. It outlived my Compaq computer, for a start!
Yes, the Huawei Ideos was supposed to be launched in November for about Rs. 5,500. No sigh of it yet. Meanwhile Micromax Andro A60 has now hit the Indian market. It is reportedly made by ZTE.

I have a BSNL Huawei modem that lasted some 5 years... which is not great, but not too bad either. I guess we can expect Huawei to have better quality than other avg. Chinese stuff (at least!).
Old 9th December 2010, 16:42   #7393
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,

I am planning to purchase a touch screen phone in 7k-14k price range.

Main requirement is touch screen and GPS navigation. I am open to Nokia, SE and Samsung. I have a few handsets in mind - 5230, C6-00, X6, Wave 2, Galaxy 3, X8. Any other options ?

In Nokia models, the maps come pre-installed and GPS navigation works out of the box and is free of cost. How is it in SE and Samsung ? Do we need to download the maps and install some app ? What is the cost of this app ?

I don't really need voice navigation, on screen directions would suffice.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 9th December 2010 at 16:44.
Old 9th December 2010, 19:39   #7394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Hi friends,

I am planning to purchase a touch screen phone in 7k-14k price range.

Main requirement is touch screen and GPS navigation. I am open to Nokia, SE and Samsung. I have a few handsets in mind - 5230, C6-00, X6, Wave 2, Galaxy 3, X8. Any other options ?

In Nokia models, the maps come pre-installed and GPS navigation works out of the box and is free of cost. How is it in SE and Samsung ? Do we need to download the maps and install some app ? What is the cost of this app ?

I don't really need voice navigation, on screen directions would suffice.

Rohan
hey,

i just got out of the same situation last week. Out of the above i tested the Samsung Galaxy, LG Optimus, SE X8, X10 Mini / Pro & Nokia C6.

I eventually bought the C6 for my wife as she was keen on having a QWERTY keypad too. C6 has all the bells and whistles like email, gps, 3G etc. Its a good phone but if you are not too fusy about the QWERTY keypad, i would personally recon the LG. I liked its touch screen interface and for 12.5k that phone is a steal.

cheers!!
Old 9th December 2010, 19:50   #7395
Senior - BHPian

Just Bought - Blackberry 9780 (Bold 3)

Hi guys,

Just upgraded from the Blackberry 8900 (Javelin) to the Blackberry 9780 (Bold 3) and I am very happy with the decision. Was first looking at the iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4, but heard the iPhone 4 had network issues.

My obvious choice then was the Blackberry 9700 (Bold 2) until the Blackberry 9800 (Torch) was launched with OS 6. However, I waited for a bit to see the response of the Torch and it was not good. Many of my friends who jumped from the Bold 2 to the Torch were regretting it and were longing to back to the Bold 2. Their reasons were - bulky size, difficulty in typing due to the slider, the slider itself having a bit of play after use, didn't like a business phone with a touchscreen, etc. Was again on the verge of purchasing the Bold 2 until again I was told to wait as Blackberry was to launch another model soon as the Torch was not doing well. So waited a month or so and took the plunge with the Bold 3.

Its as good a looker as the Bold 2 except no chrome panel which is sort of good in a way as it tends to peel off. Love the OS 6. The processor is pretty fast too. Totally recommended!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks