Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:58   #7351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
May i confuse you more

HTC DESIRE
Phone is not for me and desire has been omitted already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
I would say pick the N8 only if photography is top of your list. N8 has an excellent camera but Galaxy S is better otherwise. I used both and found the Galaxy S has a better screen, is faster and has better touch response - at least I found the response equivalent to the iphone.

Galaxy S is a bit costlier though (23k for N8 as compared to around 26k for the Galaxy S).
Well galaxy has a 5mp camera and judging from my previous n95 8gb 5mp camera i guess galaxy must click decent pics as well.
So if we disregard the camera is galaxy S the better buy in other regards?
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:25   #7352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
@navin - IMO touch phones (with split screens with a full qwerty keypad while SMSing) are better than hard keys once you get used to them
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
@navin:
I'm yet to see a Nokia phone beat a Sony Ericsson in the Camera department...I'd suggest the Vivaz Pro or Aino.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
But I feel your wife would love to use the iPhone4. Easy and simple for her requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
How much responsive is the touch in N8.
Well this is the plan. I do like that the N8 switches between a numeric keypad and QWERTY as it goes from portait to landscape.

We are going to test the N8, iPhone4 and the best QWERTY phone we can get.

Which phone would you guys recommend if a tactile QWERTY keyboard was a requirement. BB Torch? Sony Vivaz Pro? Just one. We already have 2 phones (N8, iPhone4) shortlisted, more than 3 would lead to confusion.

iPhone 4 is only shortlisted becuase the number of recomendations we have got for this phone. The N8 for it's camera, and now we need a phone that will offer fast SMS typing via a tactile keyboard just in case touch phones do NOT find favour.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by navin : 2nd December 2010 at 10:27.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:38   #7353
Senior - BHPian

Sony Vivaz Pro has a Symbian OS.

Also, look at the Xperia X10 Mini Pro, costs 16k. Its small, compact & lightweight, ideal for your wife & now comes with Android 2.1 OS, outdated compared to Froyo in Smasung but it would not matter much to your wife.

Sad part is it only has a 5MP cam.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:51   #7354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Sony Vivaz Pro has a Symbian OS.
Also, look at the Xperia X10 Mini Pro with Android 2.1 OS
Sad part is it only has a 5MP cam.
The N8 camera is good NOT because it has 10 or 12MP but because it has a CCD sensor that is much larger than those in other mobile phones and a decent lens to complement this sensor.

Does the Sony Vivaz, Xperia or any other phone have a better tactile keyboard than the BB Torch (which is what I use)?
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:12   #7355
Senior - BHPian

I have not used the torch so i frankly cannot compare the SEs with it. I have used the X10 mini & it's QWERTY is good enough for messaging.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:11   #7356
Senior - BHPian

Navin, I speak from experience. I have tested the N8 extensively and also using apple iPod touch {experience example for keyboard}, earlier an iPhone 3G user.

Camera as you say is good but it will never be used for dedicated photoshoot. N8 has much going for it but the sheer joy you experience with iPhone can not be replicated. N8's interface to me looked half baked. It is not responsive once multiple apps are running. iPhone {iPod} is better in this regard.

I have not tested any of the Android stuff so wont comment. I am sure rave reviews of Samsung Galaxy S and latest variants make a good case against the iPhone. However, living with one is the main point and I love my iPhone and iPad.

Cheers!

Guys, help me decide on a great finish simple [dumb] phone.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:52   #7357
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife has just been given an E71. It is unbelievably solid compared to my N82, that it is hard to believe that it is made by the same company --- and, apparently, internal structure and politics in Nokia did make the E division pretty much separate to the N division.

It feels good, it is well made, it has heaps of quality, and I could probably get used to the tiny, tiny qwerty keys (with reading glasses on, of course) but, the trouble is, its priorities are just not what either of us wants in a phone.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:02   #7358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
N8 has much going for it but the sheer joy you experience with iPhone can not be replicated. N8's interface to me looked half baked. It is not responsive once multiple apps are running. iPhone {iPod} is better in this regard.
My wife wont run more than 1 application at a time. She has 3 uses: SMS, camera and voice. She has yet to get an email address (not even a free yahoo/hotmail/gmail one).
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:13   #7359
BHPian

[quote=harry10;2155789]After a quick reserach found these 4-
1.-samsung star 3g 5603
2.-samsung s7070 diva
3.-sony xperia x10mini
4.-Samsung Monte
Thank you kpzen- added Samsung Monte also in the list.]

I would suggest you to check our Galaxy 5. It costs Rs 8500 and i must say that this the best phone availble under Rs10000. Its an android2.1. Really fast, excellent capacitive touch screen. Resolution is less but then its good for its price range. It has all the features like 3g, wi fi, GPS, bluetooth, good audio quality, reasonable 2MP camera and the phone is very responsive. I am using this phone from last 3 months or so and downloaded many apps from the market but the response of the phone is still very good. So, check this out and buy it if you like the looks.
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:21   #7360
Ram
Senior - BHPian

A happy Nokia N8 user

My use of my Nokia N8 device (in order of priority) is
  • to make and receive audio calls
  • to send and receive SMS text messages. I use Swype to enter text.
  • to shoot close-up macro shots 10 cm away from the subject item. The five-element Carl Zeiss Tessar lens and Xenon flash is invaluable for this.
  • turn-by-turn voice guided GPS navigation.
  • to shoot portraits and long-on landscapes.
  • to shoot full-motion video with stereo sound and watch it on an HD TV using the provided HDMI cable and shows 720p video. Also Dolby Digital Plus sound to the home-theater.
  • to watch DivX movies while travelling long-distance.
  • to transmit my music from the N8 over FM 99.00 MHz
    to my car FM stereo and listen while driving.
Which phone from any manufacturer does all this?
(and that too for under Rs. 24,000)
The N8 has a rugged aluminium-alloy monocoque body.

I am totally delighted with my 36-day old Tangerine Orange Nokia N8.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2122607

Ram
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:28   #7361
Senior - BHPian

^ Nokia has definitely and actually shaken out of its slumber.

It is now getting back to market for what it was known for. Good Phones first and then different functionalities add on. My E61 had Magnesium alloy cover at the same time N70 used to have the flimsy black plastic and the shell used to chip just with your nail. Thus they have had their priorities set differently and now that the top management had a stern wake up call, the new phones are definitely better. E71 is very nice, but I feel the steel construction has made it tad heavy.
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:59   #7362
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my bro needs a phone within a budget of 35k. He has an X10 mini now but he dint like the Android OS. He prefers the simplicity of the Symbian. He is also keen on buying the Galaxy Tab.

So which phone, apart from the Nokia N8, would be good for him? Priorities are-

* Easy to use OS
* Good camera
* Qwerty keypad if possible
* Touchscreen is not a compulsion but not a hinder either
* 3G compatibility, Video calling is a bonus
* Business applications, if available, would be nice

I have shortlisted the -

BB torch 9800 - He is not too keen on BB
Nokia E7 - not launched yet?
Nokia N8 - E7 seems to be better for him!
SE Vivaz Pro for him - resistive touchscreen!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd December 2010 at 19:10.
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:05   #7363
Senior - BHPian

so I installed xdandroid on my HTC touch, now its a dual boot system. Quite impressed by the simplicity and seamless sync with google, but still few things might push me back to windows.

e.g. if I get an alert (missed call, email, calendar reminder) I have to unlock to see and dismiss it. in windows it just pops out. still experimenting though.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:31   #7364
BHPian

raj, If your brother wants an easy to use OS, then the first choice would be an Iphone. next would be symbian. These days the OS is more important as a lot of people continue with the same OS on different devices.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:32   #7365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
My use of my Nokia N8 device (in order of priority) is ls[*]to send and receive SMS text messages. I use Swype to enter text.
Ram, for a non techie who sends 60-70 SMSes per day is the N8's touc screen a viable option? My wife'c last phone was a N96.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
BB torch 9800 - He is not too keen on BB
Nokia E7 - not launched yet?
Nokia N8 - E7 seems to be better for him!
SE Vivaz Pro for him - resistive touchscreen!
E7 camera does NOT have auto focus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks