Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 17:40   #7291
Senior - BHPian

Screen on my E61 [Jan 2007] has died second time on me, I think its begging me to let go the phone is solid with very few scratches will keep it for now.

My Priority is to buy a nice SIMPLE {read DUMB; a no-smart} phone. After 6 years of using so called Smarts I want to go back to simple pleasure of text with T9 and phone calls. No more 5+ push mails and no more apps to impress.

Wants:
1. Long battery life.
2. Good quality built and ergonomics.
3. Call clarity and speaker volume adjustment a must. Speakerphone a must.
4. Pair with blue-tooth headset.
5. Should not play games or tunes or music no FM either.
6. Light-weight.
7. SAR should be acceptable.

I am hunting for these and the only options I get is lousy made cheap phones in 1-2k category but I can not go to Vertu as well.

Please help.

Old school and actual users can please pitch in with some inputs. Thanks!
Old 16th November 2010, 17:56   #7292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Screen on my E61 [Jan 2007] has died second time on me, I think its begging me to let go the phone is solid with very few scratches will keep it for now.

My Priority is to buy a nice SIMPLE {read DUMB; a no-smart} phone. After 6 years of using so called Smarts I want to go back to simple pleasure of text with T9 and phone calls. No more 5+ push mails and no more apps to impress.

Wants:
1. Long battery life.
You can go for Samsung Marine nothing beats this in build quality
Or try a solar powered phone for being a bit different. Or good old Nokia 1100 if it is still sold.
Old 16th November 2010, 18:00   #7293
Team-BHP Support

There are some ultra cheap dual sim phones from Olive Telecom. The website and the phones look very impressive. Has anyone sampled these?

Olive Mobile Phones
Old 16th November 2010, 18:45   #7294
BHPian

I have a Sony Ericsson W960i with me for the past 3+ years. The display panel keeps malfunctioning every now and then. I have been told to replace the display, which will set me back by about 3K.
If i decide to sell this phone, how much can i expect? It have 8GB of inbuild flash, 3.2MP camera, runs on Symbian.

I am planning to downgrade massively and pick up either Samsung Metro S5200 or Samsung Marine. I use the mobile only for calling/receiving and occasional sms and nothing else. I will add a good Android cell later on when Android and 3G networks/prices stabilize!

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 16th November 2010 at 18:50.
Old 16th November 2010, 19:05   #7295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintan15 View Post
I had been to a shop to buy an nokia X 2 for one of my clients and there he showed me a samsung wave 8500 ( was in mint condition just used for 2 weeks ) but he was asking 14k for it. But i guess i cant send bulk smses in this one too..

Please suggest.
Samsung Wave can send bulk messages with ease. I tried with 16 recipients and it went fine. If you need more info on this phone, visit this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...cks-hacks.html
Old 16th November 2010, 21:24   #7296
Senior - BHPian

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
You can go for Samsung Marine nothing beats this in build quality
Or try a solar powered phone for being a bit different. Or good old Nokia 1100 if it is still sold.
Thanks Amit, I went looking for Nokia. It was mixed bag i.e., pleasant to see that the quality of few of the new handsets have improved. But the interface has taken a beating compared to the new Android/iOS. The N8 phone was very tough to use; I consider myself as avant techie. It took 4 steps to start typing message for starts. But I am sure things will improve.

Overall, did not find the quality on the phone I am looking for, they showed me 2700 flip phone at Ambience mall company showroom but they had to dig deep into store to fetch a box that was already opened and the set had few scratches already. Hinges protruded and I found it flimsy. One drop and it will crack for sure.

Samsung showroom only had Samsung Omnia and Galaxy S phone :-(

I have read rave reviews for Marine, but was not considering it due to weight. I am sure to hunt for one soon.
Old 16th November 2010, 23:19   #7297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Screen on my E61 [Jan 2007]

Wants:
1. Long battery life.
4. Pair with blue-tooth headset.
5. Should not play games or tunes or music no FM either.
6. Light-weight.
7. SAR should be acceptable.
I visited a Croma here recently, and they had lots of basic phones. Besides others, lots of Motos were there. Not even seen many of them in online stores. You may want to go and check out Croma or any other big store in your city.

Last edited by Raccoon : 16th November 2010 at 23:21.
Old 17th November 2010, 00:14   #7298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I visited a Croma here recently, and they had lots of basic phones. Besides others, lots of Motos were there. Not even seen many of them in online stores. You may want to go and check out Croma or any other big store in your city.
Thanks Raccoon. I will surely visit Croma and check out the phones. Any particular model that you think will suit my needs/wants.

Thanks again!
Old 17th November 2010, 13:34   #7299
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Sorry, can't really comment on a any particular model. Didn't even have a proper look as I was hoping to find Moto Quench and Optimus. Seems they hadn't even heard of them...

Motos are generally said to have good call clarity... which you require. Still its better to do your research before buying.

Micromax, Videocon, etc., seem to have some interesting models in that range, but whenever I'v looked the SAR rating is either quite high or not mentioned. So you may want to avoid those.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:08   #7300
BHPian

@Sn1p3r

Moto doesn't score well in terms of Battery Life and ergonomics. I've had a E398 and V3I and the battery used to come for max one day. If you speak a lot or hear music, then it doesnt last for a day. I dont know about the new motos.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:15   #7301
Senior - BHPian

I think I will stick to Nokia or Samsung for now. Have hurt my back so am immobile for few days.

I have had my share of few Reliance and TataIndicom {CDMA}, FLY and another Micromax, for our staff but I am not convinced about the quality. The keys come lose and screens are not sharp.

Samsung Marine looks nice on paper. Can someone post their experience with this one. Thanks!
Old 18th November 2010, 12:54   #7302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Samsung Marine looks nice on paper. Can someone post their experience with this one. Thanks!
It is a very basic phone feature wise but fully water proof ( provided you close the hatch properly after inserting SIM and batery) and shock proof.
If you drop it in a jug of water and call it will ring.
Old 18th November 2010, 14:02   #7303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I will stick to Nokia or Samsung for now. Have hurt my back so am immobile for few days.

I have had my share of few Reliance and TataIndicom {CDMA}, FLY and another Micromax, for our staff but I am not convinced about the quality. The keys come lose and screens are not sharp.

Micromax - that is not the case with all their models. For eg. the Q5 seems to be of pretty good build quality and screen also seemed quite decent. In that price range, it seems v good VFM. Main concern is the SAR rating...

Check out LG basic phones too. Models I'v seen have very good voice clarity.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:01   #7304
VMG
BHPian

Nokiab E5

I am planning to buy a Nokia E5. Please let me know is there any minus points or disadvantages of this mobile. I am buying this phone for mainly

- Checking and sending mails both Yahoo and office mails.
- GPS as my navigator
- Chat thru G-Talk mostly. ( can I chat without wifi means can I chat while travelling).

thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd November 2010 at 11:02. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. A dedicated thread exists. thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:50   #7305
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
I am planning to buy a Nokia E5. Please let me know is there any minus points or disadvantages of this mobile. I am buying this phone for mainly

- Checking and sending mails both Yahoo and office mails.
- GPS as my navigator
- Chat thru G-Talk mostly. ( can I chat without wifi means can I chat while travelling).

thanks
I recently bought the E5 phone and use it as a secondary phone along with my Samsung Galaxy S. It is a VFM phone and does everything very well. GPS with Nokia maps is the BEST i've seen till date and works extremely well. The phone is good for emails and gtalk etc. also, but is no match for the display characteristics of the new age touch screen phones. The cam though 5MP, takes pics like a 3MP. It does the job though. In fact, I personally feel the E5 looks better than the E72. My most used feature on the phone is the 'flashlight' I highly recommend the E5.

Edit: Yes you can use chat etc. while traveling as long as you have a decent GPRS pack.

Last edited by NIP : 22nd November 2010 at 14:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks