Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2010, 11:50   #7201
MCR
BHPian

Friends, I have a rather strange requirement for a mobile phone.

Requirements :
1. Dual SIM (Both the SIM's should be active, because I have 1 official and 1 personal SIM).
2. QWERTY key pad.
3. GPRS.
4. 3G.
5. Music player.

But the most important thing is that , it should not have a camera. In this age of information security, not many companies allow phones with camera and this means every time I deposit my mobile at security gate

Can you guys please suggest a suitable phone
Old 31st October 2010, 06:08   #7202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Friends, I have a rather strange requirement for a mobile phone.

Requirements :
1. Dual SIM (Both the SIM's should be active, because I have 1 official and 1 personal SIM).
2. QWERTY key pad.
3. GPRS.
4. 3G.
5. Music player.

But the most important thing is that , it should not have a camera. In this age of information security, not many companies allow phones with camera and this means every time I deposit my mobile at security gate

Can you guys please suggest a suitable phone
sorry mate what you are looking for is an impossible combination at this point anywhere in the world. Camera has become a bare minimum requirement on even 2k phones. the moment you mention qwerty + 3G-Camera it is a void zone. Just checked gsm arena

but some non qwerty options with 3G
Nokia E51 camera-free
Vertu Signature S
LG GU292
Samsung A657

Last edited by indian21r : 31st October 2010 at 06:18.
Old 31st October 2010, 08:19   #7203
Senior - BHPian

Other than dual SIM, blackberry fits this requirements to the T.
Old 31st October 2010, 09:49   #7204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
which model of Blackberry gives 3g without camera? by the way HTC lookslike has one. But not sure if it is available in India. no dual Sim again
HTC Snap (without camera) Specs - Mobile Phones - CNET Asia
Old 31st October 2010, 11:17   #7205
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
sorry mate what you are looking for is an impossible combination at this point anywhere in the world. Camera has become a bare minimum requirement on even 2k phones. the moment you mention qwerty + 3G-Camera it is a void zone. Just checked gsm arena

but some non qwerty options with 3G
Nokia E51 camera-free
Vertu Signature S
LG GU292
Samsung A657
Thanks. I thought so regarding the camera less phone. What do you think about Samsung B5722? Is it good? I will get the camera removed after purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Dual SIM phone is an absolute requirement. I do not want to carry two phones.
Old 31st October 2010, 12:48   #7206
BHPian

Quote:
Then you might have to look at other brands. A colleague has a dual sim qwerty keypad Micromax which looks like a blackberry ripoff (Q5 or something such). Don't know the reliability of it etc but he's been using it for a while now and is quite happy with it. Only thing is that it has a camera, a low res one, but if you're flexible on that count, then this could be it for you.
Old 31st October 2010, 16:58   #7207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I thought so regarding the camera less phone. What do you think about Samsung B5722? Is it good? I will get the camera removed after purchase.
B5722 is one of the phones I was seriously considering sometime back. But I'v been given to know it has several serious drawbacks. For starters, picture quality with flash is abysmal (many not be imp for you), no virtual Qwerty keyboard, software, esp. related to DUAL SIM management, call records, etc., not upto my liking at least. Basically its a good fone only if you want a basic dual SIM, touchscreen phone. But with that in mind, it seems quite overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Then you might have to look at other brands. A colleague has a dual sim qwerty keypad Micromax which looks like a blackberry ripoff (Q5 or something such). Don't know the reliability of it etc but he's been using it for a while now and is quite happy with it. Only thing is that it has a camera, a low res one, but if you're flexible on that count, then this could be it for you.
Micromax Q5 is one of the Micromax models that have pretty good reviews. Personally, I too know a couple of people who are reasonably happy with it (except for the cam).
Old 31st October 2010, 21:13   #7208
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Thanks gomzi. Micromax Q5 looks like a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
B5722 is one of the phones I was seriously considering sometime back. But I'v been given to know it has several serious drawbacks. For starters, picture quality with flash is abysmal (many not be imp for you), no virtual Qwerty keyboard, software, esp. related to DUAL SIM management, call records, etc., not upto my liking at least. Basically its a good fone only if you want a basic dual SIM, touchscreen phone. But with that in mind, it seems quite overpriced.

Micromax Q5 is one of the Micromax models that have pretty good reviews. Personally, I too know a couple of people who are reasonably happy with it (except for the cam).
Thanks Raccoon. I read the review of B5722 else where and I must admit, they indicate that the product is not very impressive. I will have a look at Micromax Q5.
Old 1st November 2010, 01:46   #7209
Senior - BHPian

^^^One significant issue about Micromax mobiles - they don't seem to mention radiation (SAR) levels. They also don't seem to undergo any such tests. I do not know if the Q5 is an exception.

So while it may be a worthy buy at the price, you may be putting your health at risk with these Chinese products.
Old 1st November 2010, 07:48   #7210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will get the camera removed after purchase.
I was going to suggest that. take the best phone you can afford and just replace the camera with a solid filling.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:47   #7211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^One significant issue about Micromax mobiles - they don't seem to mention radiation (SAR) levels. They also don't seem to undergo any such tests. I do not know if the Q5 is an exception.

So while it may be a worthy buy at the price, you may be putting your health at risk with these Chinese products.
Micromax is an Indian company Micromax: About us.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:50   #7212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Friends, Samsung users, Gurus.
Please leave your comments on this phone that I am planning to buy.

I will be a first time user in touch screen, GPS and Samsung mobiles (been with nokia till now)

This phone has more or less all the features that i require (Wi-Fi, GPS, big screen and is in budget @ around 7500 +/- Rs. 500)
more details here
Samsung Wave 2 S5253 Price in India: Metallic Black Color | Flipkart Mobiles
how is the BADA experience?
Any software problems with this phone?
Is the side sliding qwerty phone (i think the wave 2 pro) launch very far?

please feel free to add any useful comments

Also yesterday I saw a new phone by Samsung on similar lines WAVE 535?? any pointers on this? It has the same BADA OS and similar specs and price like this phone.
cheers!!
Quote:
guys I was talking of this phone. looks cool on the specs at this price point (around 8.5k).

please comment.
cheers!!

more reading here.
Samsung Wave533 S5330 Price in India | Flipkart Mobiles
Quote:
I really liked the HTC Wildfire. My brother will be buying that phone from UAE now does buying from UAE create any problems in the working of the phone, for eg. will there be a problem in the functioning of the Android market or any apps?

Dear Friends,
After going through a lot of hectic research and swinging between the Nokia to the Samsung, from the Symbian to Android to Bada Finally bought a HTC Wildfire, android 2.1 Eclair

First observations:
* The phone is quite thin in-fact thinner than an I phone

* The display and resolution is not bad at all (I had read in lot of forums and here too that the QVGA is quite a deal breaker) well, not for me atleast, I found the screen size nice and the colours good & the pictures looked good too. I mean I had very few expectations and coming from non-smart phones to smart-phones and this was good enough.

* The camera is good with auto-focus and LED flash

* The wifi works fine and got a GPS lock in no time. Did not try the GPRS, looking for a good plan. I am on vodafone right now.

* The HTC friends stream application is cool lets you integrate your FB, Twitter & flickr in one screen.

This is all for now, been busy with the phone and trying to understand the andriod OS.
thanks for all the valuable inputs in various posts
cheers!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-htcwildfireindia1.jpg  

Old 1st November 2010, 11:55   #7213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Micromax is an Indian company Micromax: About us.
I do not think they manufacture the phones, they are manufactured in china by some other company, and most phones do not seem to use the standard Qualcom Processor chips etc.,
As for SAR testing etc., since there is currently no law in place in India, I doubt even big brands have any sort of testing. However, the smartphones do have their levels posted on some websites.
Moreover there is peer reviews research saying what level of SAR is unsafe, and also the health risks are disputed.
Until a peer reviewed study in a reputed scientific journal(TOI is not a scientific journal), comes out, we cannot tell whether its dangerous or not

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st November 2010 at 11:56.
Old 1st November 2010, 12:44   #7214
Senior - BHPian

^^^Ditto! You said it all. These are all sticker companies that stick their labels on Chinese stuff.

Specific Absorption Rate values are usually printed in the manual of phones from the biggies. Of course, this itself may not be the only indication for safety, but if even this is absent, then well...

Last edited by Raccoon : 1st November 2010 at 12:58.
Old 1st November 2010, 12:56   #7215
Senior - BHPian

MCR,

u wont get a phone at that specs which is good.

The closest is spice QT44 but the GPRS in all these phones simply sucks. 3G? Forget it.

I own a Fly BD430 Circle and while its snappy for regular stuff - move into apps/java or such and its painful. Ditto for most micromaxes - ALL are chinese phones with a okayish Java OS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks