Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 14:14   #7141
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilvgupta View Post
Finally got my Nokia N8 and even the final buying process was a comedy of errors…

.... The supplied wired headset did not work properly (random sound and non-working buttons)…Nokia needs better quality control
Hi Kapil, Congrats for getting the N8. Great Explanation.
Its a great phone with its share of good and bad points.

By the way heres a fix to get those wired headset working:
1.) Insert it completely (untill you hear a click, put some pressure).
2.) Remove it and Re-start your phone.
3.) Now once again insert it fully. If you don't insert the whole pin inside you get a message saying "Default headset..".
4.) Now try and see if the keys work during Music Play.
5.) Done

And yes you forgot one best part, GPS Navigation.

Here is a brief review about the N8's navigation.

Ovi Maps can be downloaded for whole of India and also many other countries for free (data charges apply).
Nokia offers Offline capability, which means that the phone can function as an stand-alone GPS device by using only the Integrated GPS.

Plus Points:
1.) Offline mode
2.) Almost 90% accurate
3.) Provides a list of various locations (eg. medical stores,religious places, shop,restaurants,etc.)
4.) Using the online mode, better searches can be made.
5.) A-GPS capability. (This comes in handy when proper GPS signal is not received,best part is,it won't cost a bomb to use this service).
6.) Turn-by-Turn Voice Navigation.
7.) Route recalculation is fast.

Negative Points:
1.) GPS lock time varies (The initial locking time is long, but you could always use A-GPS to lock it faster).
2.) Eats up the Battery. (I think the phone will die out in almost 2 hrs with GPS on, so it is recommended to carry a car charger if you use it for long travel)

There might be some more points that I have not come across as I have just used this service once. Will update if find something interesting.

Conclusion: The navigation facility of the N8 is great. But since the GPS antenna is smaller than the stand-alone devices, it might not be 100% accurate. The battery being small drains quickly. Overall its a very nice feature and can get you to the required place if used correctly.

Regards,
SRK
Old 18th October 2010, 14:38   #7142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Hi Kapil, Congrats for getting the N8. Great Explanation.
Its a great phone with its share of good and bad points.

By the way heres a fix to get those wired headset working:
1.) Insert it completely (untill you hear a click, put some pressure).
2.) Remove it and Re-start your phone.
3.) Now once again insert it fully. If you don't insert the whole pin inside you get a message saying "Default headset..".
4.) Now try and see if the keys work during Music Play.
5.) Done

Regards,
SRK
thanks SRK. Was just about to update this but you beat me to it.
Update: The supplied wired headset works fine and haas good sound/bass and the buttons work as intended.

peace,
~kg
Old 18th October 2010, 17:47   #7143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
how is the BADA experience?

The bada experience has been very good so far for me. I own Samsung Wave. The OS is pretty solid and user experience is really good. The number of apps available are not as much as Android market or Apple app store but it is increasing. You will find all the necessary apps in the Samsung Apps. Number of apps has tripled in last 2 months. There are around 1000 apps right now.

Probably you should ask this question in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...cks-hacks.html
Old 18th October 2010, 20:33   #7144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends, Samsung users, Gurus.
Please leave your comments on this phone that I am planning to buy.

I will be a first time user in touch screen, GPS and Samsung mobiles (been with nokia till now)

This phone has more or less all the features that i require (Wi-Fi, GPS, big screen and is in budget @ around 7500 +/- Rs. 500)
more details here
Samsung Wave 2 S5253 Price in India: Metallic Black Color | Flipkart Mobiles
how is the BADA experience?
Any software problems with this phone?
Is the side sliding qwerty phone (i think the wave 2 pro) launch very far?

please feel free to add any useful comments

Also yesterday I saw a new phone by Samsung on similar lines WAVE 535?? any pointers on this? It has the same BADA OS and similar specs and price like this phone.
cheers!!
Saw this one on Flipkart too! Seems to be a good buy for the price, but there don't seem to be any reviews on it yet. Also, I wonder if these cheaper variants give the full Bada experience. Also, the screen resolution mentioned isn't so good (same as Galaxy 3). :( Further, its not mentioned if the screen is capacitive or resistive.
Old 18th October 2010, 20:46   #7145
BHPian

Quote:
I will be a first time user in touch screen, GPS and Samsung mobiles (been with nokia till now)
In my opinion and experience dont opt for touch screens on cheaper mobiles. What i can see is this model also does not have keypads and u can navigate only by touch. if touch stops responding and goes kaput you will be in trouble since the phone will be literally useless without keypads and touch not responding.

Again above comments are not gold standard. Ultimately, irrespective of mobile and brands they own life of mobile depends on the person how he handles it (there is no end to this debate). If you have a higher budget i would suggest you to go for HTC
Old 19th October 2010, 09:27   #7146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
The bada experience has been very good so far for me. I own Samsung Wave. The OS is pretty solid and user experience is really good. The number of apps available are not as much as Android market or Apple app store but it is increasing. You will find all the necessary apps in the Samsung Apps. Number of apps has tripled in last 2 months. There are around 1000 apps right now.
[/url]
Thanks for the reply yes its nice to the apps increasing. I guess it will not be too long until the no. of apps reaches 10,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Saw this one on Flipkart too! Seems to be a good buy for the price, but there don't seem to be any reviews on it yet. Also, I wonder if these cheaper variants give the full Bada experience. Also, the screen resolution mentioned isn't so good (same as Galaxy 3). :( Further, its not mentioned if the screen is capacitive or resistive.
I had similar questions on my mind and so put up that post. for that price though it looks like a good bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
In my opinion and experience dont opt for touch screens on cheaper mobiles. What i can see is this model also does not have keypads and u can navigate only by touch. if touch stops responding and goes kaput you will be in trouble since the phone will be literally useless without keypads and touch not responding.

Again above comments are not gold standard. Ultimately, irrespective of mobile and brands they own life of mobile depends on the person how he handles it (there is no end to this debate). If you have a higher budget i would suggest you to go for HTC
I too am skeptical to go on full touch phones at this price range. My first choice was Nokia C6 but the screen looks pretty dull in comparison to samsung phones, Plus I have been hearing problems about the slider function in those phones. I am waiting for a model which was supposed to be launched with this phone and had a side slide qwerty keypad. My guess is that it would still be cheaper than the C6.

@ Which HTC in this price range or a little bit (+3k) higher budget?
Old 19th October 2010, 12:23   #7147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Further, its not mentioned if the screen is capacitive or resistive.
None of the phones of Wave family have resistive touch screen. They are capacitive. You can check the complete specs of all these phones on gsmarena.com

Quote:
Thanks for the reply yes its nice to the apps increasing. I guess it will not be too long until the no. of apps reaches 10,000
Yes you are right. There is a bada developer contest going on right now where developers have submitted hundreds of apps. Once the contest is over (sometime in Nov-Dec) all those apps will be available in the store.

BTW, did you check the bada OS thread? It has much more information from actual bada users.
Old 19th October 2010, 12:38   #7148
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand why N8 comes with just 680 MHz processor with 256MB RAM, 512 MB ROM, when my phone(Galaxy 3) which is priced half the price of N8 comes with 667 Mhz processor with 512MB ROM, 256MB RAM. I thought N8 will do wonders, but as per reviews the Sym 3 touch is way behind Andriod, Apple or Bada touch. Its time Nokia starts working on Andriod or bada. N8 with Andriod or Bada would have changed the game.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:30   #7149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too am skeptical to go on full touch phones at this price range. My first choice was Nokia C6 but the screen looks pretty dull in comparison to samsung phones, Plus I have been hearing problems about the slider function in those phones. I am waiting for a model which was supposed to be launched with this phone and had a side slide qwerty keypad. My guess is that it would still be cheaper than the C6.

If screen quality is important, then in this price range Nokia 5235/5230 seem to win at nHD resolution (360 x 640) and 16 M colors, same screen size, but resistive. In all other ways, the Samsung's specs look better. I so wish Samsung had opted for similar screen specs. :(

Haven't personally compared the screens though.

No HTC phone in this range or even double that seems to be worth it. Didn't like the reviews for Wildfire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
None of the phones of Wave family have resistive touch screen. They are capacitive. You can check the complete specs of all these phones on gsmarena.com
Great... thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I dont understand why N8 comes with just 680 MHz processor with 256MB RAM, 512 MB ROM, when my phone(Galaxy 3) which is priced half the price of N8 comes with 667 Mhz processor with 512MB ROM, 256MB RAM. I thought N8 will do wonders, but as per reviews the Sym 3 touch is way behind Andriod, Apple or Bada touch. Its time Nokia starts working on Andriod or bada. N8 with Andriod or Bada would have changed the game.
Whats to understand? Thats just Nokia trying to position its average products as premium.
Old 19th October 2010, 15:01   #7150
BHPian

Quote:
I presume at this budget its difficult to get HTC touch phones. All newer phones are above 20 K. The only touch phone u can get cheapest on HTC is P3452 (elfin) model (around 13-14K). I myself own one and the biggest disadvantage of this phone is it has preloaded WM 6.0 and if u have fat fingers its difficult to navigate. But if you can somehow get this updated to WM 6.5 it would be better. I bought this elfin in 2008 - still using it without any problem
Old 20th October 2010, 10:33   #7151
BHPian

Quote:
I am waiting for a model which was supposed to be launched with this phone and had a side slide qwerty keypad. My guess is that it would still be cheaper than the C6.

guys I was talking of this phone. looks cool on the specs at this price point (around 8.5k).

please comment.
cheers!!

more reading here.
Samsung Wave533 S5330 Price in India | Flipkart Mobiles
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-mobczq5bvrhusg4c.jpg  

Old 20th October 2010, 13:07   #7152
BHPian

Omnia HD

Hey guys,
I am getting an Omnia HD for 13.5 grands. Do you think it is worth spending this amount on an year old phone. Although it's got everything i require like a good camera(8 mega pixel), HD video recording,Amoled capacitative screen etc. I really dont need to download that many applications and am not much into software modding and stuff. I was thinking of getting the Wave or SGS but got an offer for the above. Please suggest.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:28   #7153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Hey guys,
I am getting an Omnia HD for 13.5 grands. Do you think it is worth spending this amount on an year old phone. Although it's got everything i require like a good camera(8 mega pixel), HD video recording,Amoled capacitative screen etc. I really dont need to download that many applications and am not much into software modding and stuff. I was thinking of getting the Wave or SGS but got an offer for the above. Please suggest.
Is it New or old ? If new, price is very good
Old 20th October 2010, 15:23   #7154
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has any updates on the the Dell Streak? For a 5" it doesnt seem that pricey.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:45   #7155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Anyone has any updates on the the Dell Streak? For a 5" it doesnt seem that pricey.

Its available on flipkart.com with warranty for around 33k

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks