Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 21:59   #7096
BHPian

Some images of the beautiful Nokia-E7.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-nokiae71.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-nokiae701.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-nokiae72.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-nokiae73.jpg  

Old 11th October 2010, 22:09   #7097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
E7 will be launched in 2011.
Even I'm interested in the meego version of the E7.
nitrous, E7 is symbian based, expect it to be available in near future and not in 2011.
Its having 8 mp camera and querty keyboard in addition to touch display.
Old 12th October 2010, 01:18   #7098
Senior - BHPian

Don't know about USIM and all that, but I was able to use 3G in Qatar and Japan with my 12 year old SIM card. Just to be sure that it was 3G and not GSM, I had checked both bandwidth and Video call. The devices I had checked with were N70 (in Japan) and N82 (in Qatar).
Old 12th October 2010, 08:58   #7099
BANNED

OVI unlimted music .. Trouble UNLIMITED .

Bought nokia 5235 mainly for ovi unlimited .Reg ovi unlimted 'protected'downloads from OVI .with respect the least we could say is horrible & horrendous. Manya times-failed downloads. when it downloads the speed is below avg. Already NOKIA is loosing market share & it seem with ovi buggy downloads ... the music for their end might have begun- unless remedy is delivered Asap.

with ovi voucher which provides free mp3 download & can be played in any device, download works better. The moral of story..those who paid for protected music are Going thro hassle because of OVI player.what an irony..we pay to face ordeal with OVI.

Have anyone faced this and any remedy because even though many users have lamented this ovi in nokia forum.. nokia remains silent . may be NOKIA consider silence as best music.

mods: looked for ovi music download specific topic. could not find. so posting here in mobile discussion. thanks.
Old 12th October 2010, 09:17   #7100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Don't know about USIM and all that, but I was able to use 3G in Qatar and Japan with my 12 year old SIM card. Just to be sure that it was 3G and not GSM, I had checked both bandwidth and Video call. The devices I had checked with were N70 (in Japan) and N82 (in Qatar).
You can be assured that your UICC is a USIM , There is one more way if network operator relaxes the ciphering and authentication requirements but I do not think any modern operator in 2010 will be doing that I may be wrong though if regulation is not strict they may still do it overriding the specs.
In a security sensitive country like India ,Israel or USA I do not expect operators to do that.

Last edited by amitk26 : 12th October 2010 at 09:24.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:36   #7101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
nitrous, E7 is symbian based, expect it to be available in near future and not in 2011.
Its having 8 mp camera and querty keyboard in addition to touch display.
I really wished they used the same sensor in the N8 and E7 but they wont.
Old 12th October 2010, 15:07   #7102
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Today, Tuesday 12th Oct 2010, is the day of release for the Nokia N8 in Bombay.

Wonder who is the first pre-ordered Team-BHPian to get one!
Pre-ordering is still open. I decided that I wouldn't pre-order, but rather pick a metallic orange-colored N8 up over-the-counter, as soon as it became available over-the-counter.

If too many people have pre-ordered, one may have to wait a few days. No matter! My neighbourhood store says the dark-grey and white models are more in demand. All the more reason why I will stick to my choice of orange, to be different!
Old 12th October 2010, 17:01   #7103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
nokia n8 will be available from tomorrow or day after at 23k INR.
not sure on what colors are being launched but you can be sure of the price
would seriously want to know where you are getting the N8 for 23k.

i had demoed the N8 and pre-ordered at a Nokia priority dealer in Chennai. Just got a message from him that the phone is launched today evening @ 6pm for Rs24,300/- and 25,000/- along with bluetooth headset BH-108. He said the regular price wud be 25,000/- and the 24,300/- price is only for th people with pre-booking.

I am getting the same price and offer at univercell.in and am wondering what is the benifit of pre-booking weeks in advance if one gets the same deal as all others

peace,
~kg
Old 12th October 2010, 17:38   #7104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well till now only BSNL 3G is available in market, Airtel will launch in November this year. For selecting a 3G band actually you first need to have a USIM ( 3G SIM) inserted in the handset, As most other operator SIM are not USIM you will not see any 3G band available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Its in Baroda - Gujarat. My bro told me. Even i am unsure if its there. I think he is either referring to BSNL 3G or he is getting edge/gprs connection thru Airtel. Let me ask him more clearly and will update.
Just thought to let you know Amit. I asked my bro. The 3g service is by a new company called Uninor. The sim is also 3G inside the handset. The plan is Rs. 99 per month and 6 gb is free.
Old 12th October 2010, 20:12   #7105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Just thought to let you know Amit. I asked my bro. The 3g service is by a new company called Uninor. The sim is also 3G inside the handset. The plan is Rs. 99 per month and 6 gb is free.
Well As per the reports which I read earlier UNINOR did not bid for 3G spectrum and they are offering only GPRS/EDGE

Uninor only incumbent to shun 3G spectrum bids - The Economic Times

This link at Uninor web site uninor.in clearly states it offers GPRS in Gujrat.

http://www.uninor.in/Lists/pressrele...%20network.pdf
Old 12th October 2010, 22:19   #7106
Senior - BHPian

Food for thought:

How desi mobile makers are winning over India : Rediff.com Business (How desi mobile makers are winning over India)
Old 12th October 2010, 23:26   #7107
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Food for thought:
How desi mobile makers are winning over India : Rediff.com Business (How desi mobile makers are winning over India)
Companies spend millions of dollars in R&D and testing.

And then there are some me-too screwdriver shops, that assemble market offerings from parts dumped from China in 40-foot container loads.
Mediocre design, poor quality materials, poor quality plating, poor shock-protection, no warranty and shoddy workmanship.

Unlike the established brands that it desired to best, the Chinese conscience (oxymoron?) would even dump IMEI-less phones in India. Thank God our legislation rallied around to curb that.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.
What's next? Will we let Zhejiang Geely, Dongfeng and Chery infiltrate our automosphere ?

Quote:
"There is hardly anything in the world that somebody cannot worsen a little, sell a little cheaper and rightfully prey on people who consider price only.

"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's self-defeating to pay too little.

When you pay too much you lose a little money, but when you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the product or service you bought falls short of the exact function you intended.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It cannot be done.

If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is sensible to put something away for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

Quality costs money. Are you worth the money you spend on yourself?
Old 12th October 2010, 23:43   #7108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Companies spend millions of dollars in R&D and testing.

And then there are some me-too screwdriver shops, that assemble market offerings from parts dumped from China in 40-foot container loads.
Mediocre design, poor quality materials, poor quality plating, poor shock-protection, no warranty and shoddy workmanship.

Unlike the established brands that it desired to best, the Chinese conscience (oxymoron?) would even dump IMEI-less phones in India. Thank God our legislation rallied around to curb that.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.
What's next? Will we let Zhejiang Geely, Dongfeng and Chery infiltrate our automosphere ?
There is always a trade off.Ccompanies in US spend millions of dollars creating their perfect and consistent blend of wheat/corn flour for their flagship breads (mcdonalds etc). Does that mean we should stop using desi wheat flour?

If a mobile phone (or cars for that matter) made in china and assembled in india works, I don't see any issue with using it. IMEI sounds to me like a licensing scheme, designed to keep low cost players out. We did have license raj till the 80s. Was it any better?

If these low-cost players have leeched/cheated/stolen from the big manufacturers, thats a legal issue, but the consumer is not going to take that into account when making a purchase.
Old 13th October 2010, 08:40   #7109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post

In a free market, its up to customers to decide what they want. If they want cheap handsets with loads of features, thats what is going to sell (and survive).
Old 13th October 2010, 09:15   #7110
BHPian

Guwahati Nokia Priority dealers are asking for Rs 26,000 and no free goodies. Better get HTC Desire HD with 4.3 inch screen, surround sound, internal GPS antenna etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks