Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 10:14   #7081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Wait a minute since when AIRTEL started 3g service. ?did. I miss a big news?
If in manual search you are able to see 3g plmn of BSNL then it is not a band issue Nd just need to set apn. Correct in settings
Its in Baroda - Gujarat. My bro told me. Even i am unsure if its there. I think he is either referring to BSNL 3G or he is getting edge/gprs connection thru Airtel. Let me ask him more clearly and will update.
Old 11th October 2010, 11:25   #7082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Its in Baroda - Gujarat. My bro told me. Even i am unsure if its there. I think he is either referring to BSNL 3G or he is getting edge/gprs connection thru Airtel. Let me ask him more clearly and will update.
Well till now only BSNL 3G is available in market, Airtel will launch in November this year. For selecting a 3G band actually you first need to have a USIM ( 3G SIM) inserted in the handset, As most other operator SIM are not USIM you will not see any 3G band available.
Old 11th October 2010, 13:09   #7083
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This is a common practice across the industry. Reasoning is:

1. Initially, inventory is bound to be low. Even suppliers like Samsung / Hyundai / Intel will take few months before they start supplying at peak quantities.
2. It makes business sense to make max out of limited inventory.
3. Early adapters are more than willing to pay "Aspirational" prices. So product is priced at MUCH higher prices.
4. Once supplies stabilize and inventory is normal, price is reduced to what average buyer (in that particular category) is willing to pay.

So, NEVER buy a just launched product if you want VFM. Of course, if you are willing to pay any price to get your hands on latest gadgets this does not apply.
Well thought out and willingly shared perspectives! Grateful Thanks !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
In tech, it makes sense to buy the product generation that is "about to be discontinued".
I have also thought the same, NetfreakBombay.
Bought a to-be-soon-discontinued prod. generation, a couple of times. e.g.
  1. My late 2006 Baleno VXI just before it was discontinued. Enjoy driving it still. Now has 29,000 km on the clock.
  2. Also have a Dec. 2007 Nokia N8, that performs like new.
However resale prices have taken a serious tumble.
Still this advice seems contrary to common wisdom to most people. Pray why?
Old 11th October 2010, 16:02   #7084
Senior - BHPian

I had a hands on experience of N8 at the nokia priority dealer yesterday, the screen was too good as it is AMOLED, but rest looks OK.
Old 11th October 2010, 16:05   #7085
BHPian

nokia n8 will be available from tomorrow or day after at 23k INR.
not sure on what colors are being launched but you can be sure of the price
Old 11th October 2010, 16:33   #7086
BHPian

^^ Ram - did you just say a Dec'2007 N8???? Surely that can't be tue.

I think NetfreakBombay has put forth perfectly valid points. I differ a bit on buying gadgets. I generally buy 'second in line products'. The first in line would be products just launched/about to be launched. The second in line would be recent chart toppers. For example I would buy a 12 MP digicam when a 15 MP one has launched/is about to be lauched. That way I get a great product at a decent price which would not be obsolete for at least a few years.

Regarding pre-bookings - though they aren't my cup of tea I can fully understand why people would pay a premium for new products. Standard demand-supply match based on Economic theory. I have few goods - whoever bids highest gets them. Price is what you pay - value is what you get. If you think you are getting greater/equal value out of the product than the price you are paying, then it makes sense to pay the higher price.
Old 11th October 2010, 17:43   #7087
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Sorry. I meant a Dec. 2007 Nokia N82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
^^ Ram - did you just say a Dec'2007 N8???? Surely that can't be tue.
Sorry Cesc. My bad!
I meant a Dec. 2007 Nokia N82.
I bought it on 31st Dec 2007, from TheMobileStore at Chembur
for Rs. 24,499.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post673292

Today I am willing to spend that same amount on a new Nokia N8.
Ram
Old 11th October 2010, 19:14   #7088
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Nokia N8 will be available at Nokia Stores from tomorrow evening at Rs.26,259.
But only the Pre-Booked ones will be delivered. They said other customers won't get till the end of next month as the no. of pre-booked devices is large.

Colours available are Dark Grey, Silver,Orange,Green and Blue.

@nandishpal: Where are you getting the device for 23K?
Old 11th October 2010, 20:05   #7089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
For selecting a 3G band actually you first need to have a USIM ( 3G SIM) inserted in the handset, As most other operator SIM are not USIM you will not see any 3G band available.
I am using BSNL 3G with my 5+ years old SIM. I do not think BSNL supplied me a USIM at that time! If 3G network is available, it should work irrespective of which SIM is present, provided the operator has opened up access for your number.
Old 11th October 2010, 20:10   #7090
BHPian

Below are the details of Nokia - N8
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-nokian8official1.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-nokian8-2.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-nokia-n8.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by jaisha8 : 11th October 2010 at 20:13.
Old 11th October 2010, 20:19   #7091
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone have any info on the E 7-00.

Launch date, price etc.? Its showing on the Nokia India site.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:15   #7092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Does anyone have any info on the E 7-00.

Launch date, price etc.? Its showing on the Nokia India site.
Expect it to be launched around 29k+
Old 11th October 2010, 21:34   #7093
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Nokia N82 and N8 under the hood.

Friends:

A little over thirteen months ago, we looked at the inside of a Nokia N82, here. (Post #5147)

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-n82internalssmall1.jpg

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-n82internalssmall2.jpg

Now, here is the inside of a Nokia N8.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-n8internals.jpg

It is
  • mechanically simpler,
  • electronics is more complex, (capacitive multi-touch input, AMOLED, FM transmitter, 12 megapixel 1/1.83" sensor in camera, digital compass, USB on the go, USB charging, HDMI video output with Dolby Digital Plus audio output, more ...)
  • and software several shades more complex.
The shape of things to come...
What say you?

Ram
Old 11th October 2010, 21:35   #7094
Senior - BHPian

E7 will be launched in 2011.
Even I'm interested in the meego version of the E7.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:37   #7095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
I am using BSNL 3G with my 5+ years old SIM. I do not think BSNL supplied me a USIM at that time! If 3G network is available, it should work irrespective of which SIM is present, provided the operator has opened up access for your number.
No for UMTS network camping you need a USIM necessarily else you will be only using either GSM ( if you have SIM) or emergency calling as mandated by 3GPP.

USIM and SIM is not name of physical card but specification implemented on UICC card. USIM is an implemention of 3GPP TS 31.101which came in to existence with R99 of UMTS. SIM is GSM specification 11.11 implementation on UICC card.

For accessing UMTS ( 3G ) network USIM is a must the main difference is in the ciphering and authentication there are few other differences related to EFs and also phone book as well.

USIMs were widely available since early 2000. At one point there were only 2 major UICC card vendors GEMPLUS and Axalto which merged to create monopoly Gemalto. It is quite possible that card vendors are just providing UICC by default instead of maintaining separate inventories or may be operators such BSNL as provided USIM much ahead of 3G roll-out.

PS : The above two specs are indicative they are actually a bunch providing different aspects of UICC card acess and usage.

Last edited by amitk26 : 11th October 2010 at 21:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks