Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 11:29   #7051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Has anyone on the forum used the SE Aspen? Or knows anyone who has?
Dont know about the phone but I would stay away from Windows Mobile 6. Who is it for and whats the purpose?
Old 7th October 2010, 11:31   #7052
BaldOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
For comparison, the Nokia N8 phone has to be held 2' 3" away from the eye. Not so bad, is it?
N8 INR 26,295.

Diwali gift for myself.

Your comments on this thread have helped me make this decision.

Old 7th October 2010, 11:34   #7053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Dont know about the phone but I would stay away from Windows Mobile 6. Who is it for and whats the purpose?
Lavkesh, our Company issues smart phones for certain senior people who are "on the move". Our current protocol is the Palm Treo (also a WM phone which I've been using for a couple of years now), we hate the phone & have reached out to out IT guys to suggest a contemporary replacement.

Choices are - Samsung Omnia Pro B7320 & the SE Aspen. The Aspen looks a hell of a lot better but I'm wary of SE support which is outsourced to Salora International.

So, its for me & our MD & its not my primary phone - its just to catch up with e-mail when we're travelling & don't have access to wireless networks on our laptops.
Old 7th October 2010, 11:45   #7054
Senior - BHPian

What is XPressMusic (XM) actually mean in Nokia phones?

Hey,

This question is trickling me for quite sometime, but i still didn't get any definitive or clear answer. When i google'd, i get all phone models list which has XpressMusic support.

So basically, what XPressMusic (XM) acutally means when we buy a Nokia phone.

1) Is it just a brand? (for Marketing purposes)
2) Better Music output? If so, how we make the difference out...
3) Stereo speakers with special keys...?
4) More bucks compared to normal phone without XM support.
5) Is there any internal music enhancements made at board level, because it is a XPressMusic phone?

Any thoughts...?

-Ravi
Old 7th October 2010, 12:25   #7055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldOwl View Post
N8 INR 26,295.

Diwali gift for myself.
Is it available in stores already? I thought it was going to take a while. Do post a review. I want to buy a phone for wifey and am considering this alongwith C7.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:25   #7056
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Has anyone on the forum used the SE Aspen? Or knows anyone who has?
Heard that SE Aspen (Windows Mobile 6.5.3 Pro) is plagued with battery problems -- excessive heating of battery during use. And standby time isn't even 24 hrs.
When only Symbian and Android is talked about these days, why would one even look at Windows Mobile ?
Old 7th October 2010, 12:36   #7057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is not true!
The human retina can resolve upto 477 pixels per inch on an object held 12 inches away.
Thanks for details on what human ratina can resolve , I quoted from figure propagandized by apple but the point I was making is that Steve Jobs comparison of their "ratina display" with AMOLED is a comparison of apples to a shovel ( not even orange).

Ratina display is their marketing term for resolution and AMOLED is another technology of display quite different form prevalent TFT LCD / LED LCD or Plasma ( used in TVs)

The real virtual retina display technology is altogether different and has no bearing to Apple's Ratina display.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:47   #7058
BaldOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Is it available in stores already? I thought it was going to take a while.
Not in the stores yet.

They are having some prebooking for the phones. They will probably thrown in some goodies for the prebooked folks (hoping not sure).

It has started shipping and I think should hit our shores in a weeks time, perfect timing for the festive season.

Will surely post a review.

Old 7th October 2010, 12:49   #7059
BHPian

^^ Very few people are into these sort of technicalities. Which is why Apple is able to use the term towards enhancing their overall aura of uniqueness. I am pretty sure that even if Steve Jobs switches over to AMOLEDs he will have a fancy name ready for the display. I don't see him using 'AMOLED screen' in the specs sheet for the new/upgraded version of iphone4. One thing that Apple knows for sure is how to market their goods.

@BaldOwl
Thanks for the info. Will look out for your review.

Last edited by Cesc : 7th October 2010 at 12:59.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:52   #7060
Team-BHP Support

What is the ongoing street price of N900. After looking at platforms, I think a linux phone completely open will suite me the best.
From what I see, Android phones are getting more and more restrictive, going completely against the philosophy of open source.
first motorola, and now HTC are going for kill switch like functionality.
In such scenarios, I think a meego phone will be the best.
I am wondering when Meego will come in slightly cheaper flavors!
Old 7th October 2010, 14:10   #7061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What is the ongoing street price of N900. After looking at platforms, I think a linux phone completely open will suite me the best.
From what I see, Android phones are getting more and more restrictive, going completely against the philosophy of open source.
first motorola, and now HTC are going for kill switch like functionality.
In such scenarios, I think a meego phone will be the best.
I am wondering when Meego will come in slightly cheaper flavors!
I saw this phone and loved it Nokia did a very big mistake by not promoting N900 in a big way like it is doing for N8 ( Symbian) . The reason IMHO is top managements decision to avoid risk by mainlining a new platform and stick to their trusted Symbian.

N900 is maemo not meego, though Meego images are available and you can flash N900 with Meego.

One important change from maemo to meego is migration of UI from GTK+ to QT. While QT based desktops such as KDE are good compared to GNOME ( GTK based) but for phone it still new QT based UI needs polishing and since basic applications are redeveloped there is a curve for stablization in Meego.

In an inerview after his exit from Nokia formar Meego top boss admitted that hardware is ready but still software has glitches.

Telepathy framework is available on N900 and you can use voice / video on google voice or host of other services available in telepathy, from your mobile over WiFi or 3G this is single biggest + point of N900.
Old 7th October 2010, 14:52   #7062
Team-BHP Support

thanks amit!
I am okay with instability. I guess I will wait till end oct. Thats the timeframe of launching meego handsets.
The concept of apt-get on a cell phone fascinates me, and this platform, at-least the way its done on N900 seems to be very open, something android has failed to do.
Old 7th October 2010, 20:58   #7063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is not true!
The human retina can resolve upto 477 pixels per inch on an object held 12 inches away.

The human eye has an angular resolution of 50 cycles per degree.

Ram
That was very interesting! Made me look up more on display tech...
Old 7th October 2010, 23:01   #7064
Senior - BHPian

Aspen's feedback:
ok fone, but:
- hangs about twice a month
- the keypad isnt made really for FAST typing - esp numbers (not too comfortable)
- looks okay

IMNSHO - why not the e71?
Old 8th October 2010, 10:53   #7065
Senior - BHPian

Hitanshu thanks. AFA the e71 is concerned, as I may have mentioned - our Company is very "protocol" driven & the current protocol mentions these two models only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks