Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:51   #7036
Senior - BHPian

Even I find the 5230 ugly and (more importantly) bulky. I had purchased this as a gift for my fiance since she was already familiar with Nokia's UI.

Bulkyness (of mobile) is not a problem for ladies, since they carry it in their handbag. But I found the 5230 a bit too bulky to keep in my trouser pocket.

I would suggest Samsung Galaxy 3 for you.

Rohan
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:01   #7037
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks, will consider. The lower res. of both the Galaxies is what I'm apprehensive about. So waiting to see working pieces. GS 5 has just come in the market now.
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:59   #7038
Senior - BHPian

Was looking for a new phone for my brother yesterday. We were initially looking for a dual sim phone. but all such phones were very basic & lacked features. so i somehow convinced my brother to look for better single SIM phones.

Now, he is against touchscreen as he finds it cumbersome to use. so most of the better phones like iphone, galaxy, etc. were out. he likes compact phones which is feature loaded. so we came across SE X10 mini. he loved the phone except the fact that it was touch screen. so i showed him the X10 mini pro with QWERTY keypad. he immediately loved the phone & met all his requirements to the T.

It was compact, easy to use, had a 5MP cam & QWERTY keypad too. we bought one for 16,400. now, i use the SE X10 which costs Rs. 32k, still some of the features in the mini was better. a quick comparo between mini pro & X10-

1) mini has a automatic LEd flash for the cam with a direct tap for flash on/off. In the X10, the flash needs to be manually switched ON. it is said that this will be solved in the first upgrade of the X10. on the other hand, X10 has video light which the mini does not have.

2) it is easier to type messages in the mini owing to its QWERTY keypad.

3) Mini looks like the kid of my X10 & is very compact & lightweight.

4) cam quality of my X10 (8 MP) is much better than mini pro's 5 MP. Also, X10's cam has more features like face recognition & smile detection which mini lacks.

5) some apps like calender in my X10 needs you to sign in to google (its google calender). not so in the mini.

6) the mini has android market app which my X10 does not have.

7) screen res of mini is not as good as the X10. pics & vids are of average quality when compared to its big bro.

8) mini has TIMESCAPE but does not have MEDIASCAPE. instead for media, it has the regular album folder.

9) Speaker volume of mini is slightly more than X10.

10) Mini has FM which X10 does not have.

11) While the X10 looks bigger & visibly better, the mini looks cuter!

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 mini pro vs. Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 - GSMArena.com

Last edited by raj_5004 : 3rd October 2010 at 09:01.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:31   #7039
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes, and the biggest disadvantage in the mini is that media files cannot be transferred through bluetooth, unlike the X10!
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:39   #7040
Ram
Senior - BHPian

First Nokia N8 delivered in Italy

First Nokia N8 delivered in Italy.
My guess is it is in Milan, Italy in the Porta Vittoria area.

Love the cabin motorcycle. Does anyone know which make and model it is?

Ram
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:17   #7041
Ram
Senior - BHPian

OT: Identified the cabin motorcycle, guys.
It's an Adiva 250 cc convertible.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-adiva250convertible.jpg

Old 4th October 2010, 03:37   #7042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
is there a phone that allows attaching voice memo to an appointment/meeting?

better still, if it can play the memo instead of the alert tone when it's time.
no mobile has it? any app on any platform?
Old 4th October 2010, 23:29   #7043
BHPian

Has anyone used E72 GPS extensively ?
How long does it take to lock on to the satellite ?
Does it offer voice guided navigation ??
What options are available for maps (with voice guided navigation) ?
Old 5th October 2010, 01:36   #7044
Senior - BHPian

Please see answers in Bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Has anyone used E72 GPS extensively ?
How long does it take to lock on to the satellite ?

Sometimes its instant, otherwise takes several minutes to lock on. But average takes 2-3 minutes. But maps are sad. Positioning is more or less perfect.

Does it offer voice guided navigation ??
Yes, it does. Quite nice. You can have your own voice too.

What options are available for maps (with voice guided navigation) ?
You can get the MapmyIndia maps for Nokia or standalone device from them
Old 5th October 2010, 13:33   #7045
BHPian

Samsung has announced the Samsung Wave II ( different from the Wave 2 ) , which is the successor to the Samsung Wave. The phone has a bigger 3.7" screen and the screen is now S-LCD instead of Super AMOLED and will run on Bada 1.2.0 version. Seems like Samsung is facing a big shortage of Super AMOLED screens.

Samsung Wave II with 3.7-inch Super-Clear LCD | Samsung Hub
Old 5th October 2010, 15:01   #7046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post

As for Apple their retina display is gorgeous in itself so don't know why they would rush off to replace that with S AMOLED. Specially when Apple leverages stuff like this as marketing tools to stand out.
Answer is very simple because Ratina Display is nothing but a brand given to a dispaly with pixel denisty matching human eye ratina. Thus the Ratina display is just the name given to screen resolution instead of a geeky number such as 326 dpi. Human ratina can resolve up to 320 pixels and once pixel density exceeds 320 human eye sees it as smooth image.
There was nothing profound about it and all printer companies know it since ages.Apple selected a nice name and marketed it will .

It has nothing to do with virtual Ratina Display technology which pre-existed iPhone 4 and you might have seen as a scope attached to helmet in Holywwod futuristic war movies.

Super AMOLED ( Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting diode) is a technolgy which is quite different then other available displays which are back lit. Here instead of backlighting the panel each pixel is made of an OLED or screen is matix of OLEDS.
So if you have an AMOLED screen with more then 320 DPI you have best of the world and despite hype Steve Jobs created he knows for future apple needs AMOLED to save power and give more brightness in daylight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
He also said that there will be a new phone to replace the Wave and it will come with a bigger screen and a S-LCD screen ( this is similar to the S-AMOLED technology and is developed by a JV between Sony and Samsung. The new Sony phones will also use this screen ).

He also said talked about the rumours that all of Samsung's Super AMOLED screens for 2011 are sold out to Apple ( this may mean that the Iphone 5 will have a S- AMOLED screen ). However, he did mention that these were just rumours so far.
The news is correct to an extent. The industry demand far exceeds the supply for AMOLED.. They can not simply stop supplies to outside customers and favor internal customer ( mobile phone divison)

However this does not mean no AMOLED mobile product but instead of making all products AMOLED a line of cheaper TFT LCD products will be maintained. Same goes for S5C110 ( hummingbird) series of processors.
Old 6th October 2010, 21:47   #7047
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Smart phone resolution and the human retina

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Answer is very simple because Ratina Display is nothing but a brand given to a dispaly with pixel denisty matching human eye ratina. Thus the Ratina display is just the name given to screen resolution instead of a geeky number such as 326 dpi. Human ratina can resolve up to 320 pixels and once pixel density exceeds 320 human eye sees it as smooth image.
That is not true!
The human retina can resolve upto 477 pixels per inch on an object held 12 inches away.

The human eye has an angular resolution of 50 cycles per degree.

What does 50 cycles per degree mean?

It means 50 alternating light and dark bands perpendicular to the line of sight.

Let's do some computations.
12 inches from the eye, a line, one-inch across subtends an angle of
= 2 * arctan (0.5/12). That is 4.772 degrees.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-retinacalc.jpg

On this one-inch line, the human retina can distinguish up to 50 alternating light and dark bands.

4.772 * 50 is 238.59 cycles or 477.2 pixels,
not 300 as erroneously claimed by Steve Jobs' misleading marketing statement.

So the real “retina display” (of the future) would have a pixel resolution of better than 477 pixels per inch at 12 inches from the eye.
This means that the inter-pixel separation has to be 53.228 microns.

The Apple iPhone4 has an inter-pixel separation of 77.9 microns.
Failing to meet the 53.228 micron requirement of a real retina display, Apple's so-called "retina display"
is not at all a real retina beater -- although a very good one!

By way of comparison, a Nokia N8's display is 640x360 pixels corresponding to a 3.5" diagonal.
So 3.05" x 1.72". The pixel density is roughly 209 pixels per inch.
i.e the inter-pixel separation is 121 microns

The Nokia N8's display is only 64% as sharp as an iPhone4

To make these pixels appear indistinguishable from one another, the iPhone 4 has to be held 18" away from the eye, still not 12" away as wished by Steve Jobs.

For comparison, the Nokia N8 phone has to be held 2' 3" away from the eye. Not so bad, is it?

Ram
Old 7th October 2010, 09:08   #7048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
The phone has just gone on pre-order in USA at $550.
That's approx Rs.25,700/-

I hope the India price will be cheaper than USA and more competitive.
i got a call from nokia india and they confirmed that the prices are around Rs. 26200 and the model will be available by next week,
Old 7th October 2010, 09:59   #7049
BHPian

Here is a link where N8 camera is compared with Canon 550D SLR.

Shootout: Nokia N8 v Canon 550D DSLR | The Handheld Blog
Old 7th October 2010, 11:22   #7050
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone on the forum used the SE Aspen? Or knows anyone who has?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks