Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 12:26   #6991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What is the street price for C6?
13k odd (Nokia C6 Price in India: White Color | Flipkart Mobiles)

On a related note, it seems E5 if *finally* officially launched (not the grey mkt version doing the rounds of Ebay and Mumbai Mirror). I saw it on Flipkart today at 11k odd (Nokia E5 Price in India: Carbon Black Color | Flipkart Mobiles)
Old 29th September 2010, 14:24   #6992
BHPian

I just got my Samsung Wave today morning. Had ordered it from flipkart.com yesterday evening and got it at my doorstep in the morning .

Let's create a new thread for Samsung bada OS like Android and iPhone thread to continue Wave specific discussions.
Old 29th September 2010, 15:55   #6993
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Apple has just introduced their iPhone4 in China.
In retaliation, the Chinese Yosion Apple-Peel 520 comes to USA.
It converts iPods into phones. It contains a battery, dock connector and SIM card that allows voice calls. Hahahaha !!

Home Page

Last edited by Ram : 29th September 2010 at 15:57.
Old 29th September 2010, 16:09   #6994
Senior - BHPian

Any news on the N8 coming to India?
Old 29th September 2010, 16:20   #6995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nokia's market-share down by 20% in India.

Nokia loses its India plot, mkt share tanks - The Economic Times

Nokia 's phones at lower end are eaten by cheap chinese imports, smartphones are killed by Android.

Hope new CEO drills some sense into Nokia and it brings out Android devices.
Only Android will not help Nokia. Nokia has gone awry on several fronts. Today the situation is that even cheap Chinese phones offer way better features, battery life, sound quality (with volume), etc., than Nokias. This is esp. true in the lower segment and to quite an extent in the mid segment too.

Suddenly after waking up from their deep slumber they have come up with low end dual SIM phones and that too without dual stand by!

Many other factors, and last but definitely not the least, even the quality of their products has dropped.... while that of many Chinese makes has actually improved!

Another interesting read - Nokia's new chief faces culture of complacency - The Economic Times

Nokia has really lost the plot completely, on multiple fronts.
Old 29th September 2010, 16:31   #6996
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Only Android will not help Nokia. Nokia has gone awry on several fronts. Today the situation is that even cheap Chinese phones offer way better features, battery life, sound quality (with volume), etc., than Nokias. This is esp. true in the lower segment and to quite an extent in the mid segment too.

Suddenly after waking up from their deep slumber they have come up with low end dual SIM phones and that too without dual stand by!

Many other factors, and last but definitely not the least, even the quality of their products has dropped.... while that of many Chinese makes has actually improved!

Another interesting read - Nokia's new chief faces culture of complacency - The Economic Times

The interesting read appeared on New York Times, two days ago.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/te...y/27nokia.html

The politics of hiring Nokia's first non-Finnish CEO are:
  1. He should be a software man -- Nokia has been accused of being deeply entrenched in hardware -- they have 500 VPs with largely wireless engg. experience who are responsible for delivery in areas beyond their expertise. And Nokia are accused of being a nobody in software.
  2. He should be an American —- Nokia needs to placate the US financial world and US blogosphere -- well at least to earn the benefit of doubt. Never mind that he's from Microsoft!
  3. He should force Nokia to settle on one software platform for mobile devices.
Such as a Linux (MeeGo or Android) ?
Will that mean dumping Symbian (Symbian S60, Symbian^3 and Symbian^4 engines, even S40)?

Are Apple, Google and HP-Palm chuckling in their cheeks?

Should Nokia embrace either Android or Windows Phone 7 and dump the remainder from the past?

After all, how can Nokia maintain two operating systems?

Only
  • Apple does it: Mac OS and iOS.
  • Google does it: Android and Chrome OS.
  • Microsoft does it: Windows 7, Windows Phone 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, ...
  • Samsung does it: Android and bada OS.
Then should only Nokia be whipped for promoting and maintaining Symbian and MeeGo ?

Nokia’s only sin seems to be that it doesn’t use an OS that the US chattering class has decided is worth chattering about.

In repentance it should adopt either Android or Windows Phone 7. (But not both. It can’t maintain two OSes, after all. Only American companies can do that, although they chuckle about it afterwards.)
Old 29th September 2010, 17:12   #6997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
  • Samsung does it: Android and bada OS.
Acually many more some 10 - 12 and 4 major for smartphone segment.
Quote:
Then should only Nokia be whipped for promoting and maintaining Symbian and MeeGo ?

Nokia’s only sin seems to be that it doesn’t use an OS that the US chattering class has decided is worth chattering about.

In repentance it should adopt either Android or Windows Phone 7. (But not both. It can’t maintain two OSes, after all. Only American companies can do that, although they chuckle about it afterwards.)
Agree 100% with you , Nokia's problem is not what this chattering class is talking about the problem is that they focused on two segments business and mass market and forgot the youth and consumer.

Also the physical designs were heavy , clunky while industry moved to sleek and light. They failed to bring a mainline Maemo product when market was already right.

My fear is that MS guy may be the worst person to be CEO of a company who has spent big on initiative like maemo / meego. They simply do not understand the open OS culture and are too hard wired for that.
Old 29th September 2010, 20:31   #6998
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
First: for whom it may concern, a disclaimer:
I do not work for Nokia or their agents and have no bias for Nokia or their business interests, directly or indirectly.
I only present myself as a member of the Team-BHP family, and as a professionally qualified electronics & telecommunications engineer with some mobility-computing and embedded software development experience and a passionate interest in discussing progressive technology and how it shapes the world we live in.

Leadership changes at Nokia will take some time to have an effect.

Some aspects of Symbian^3 on the Nokia N8 are the almost the same as Symbian S60 5th Edition. But spend a thought to ponder – We Symbian users like this familiarity. Keeping some of this will let us use our new device without needing to relearn the UI.
  • The N8’s home screens look a bit like Android.
  • Nokia’s Cover flow media player UI is reportedly faster than iPhone and very good.
The Nokia N8 will sell millions in real GSM countries outside USA where people will experience a very good Nokia product, as they have in the past.

The new Symbian that understands touch devices holds much promise. It can give a nice fresh UI to exploit low end hardware, which is what most of the world is made of – not hardware heavy enough for Android or iOS.

Apple is nothing more than a one device company, unless we count previous generations of the same thing. And compare that to two dozen Nokia S60 and S40 simultaneous phones worldwide. I am convinced that Nokia spends more R&D money than Apple.

And Nokia invests in reaching the complete spectrum of mobile phone users. Apple only focuses on the high end buyer who is blind to how his money burns.

Wonder how great a Nokia product would be, were they to spend their money on a single device and platform !!

Nokia also spends on multiple technologies, sustainability issues, services, and ecology friendly initiatives.

The N8 itself has some pretty innovative functions and capabilities
  • USB On-The-Go -- It lets you connect USB peripherals (flash drives, HDDs, even other phones) to the phone and have it act as a host. You can treat the connected hardware as mass storage and browse it as a fully mounted filesystem -- means you have unlimited music capacity with a pocket full of USB sticks and a micro USB-to-USB adapter cord.
  • 12 megapixel camera with a five-aspherical-element Tessar from Carl-Zeiss optics,
  • the largest optical sensor ever on a camera phone,
  • 5-band WCDMA,
  • Bluetooth 3.0 --- This combines the ease of Bluetooth with the 25 Mbps+ speed of WiFi. Almost like wireless USB. And you can connect from 100m away. Nokia is famous for underplaying their features. Besides the Nokia N8, the only other phone with Bluetooth 3.0 is the Samsung Wave. The flashy iPhone4 doesn’t have it, even for their (Duh) iAccessories.
Then Nokia's services.Nokia’s innovation gives Indian families valuable tools to live a better life.

Nokia is not as broken as US media and some bloggers want to portray.
Let us understand the complete picture.

So, I know who I will buy my next smartphone from.

Old 29th September 2010, 21:18   #6999
BANNED

flipkart.com has better prices than ebay and even compareindia.com for few phones.
Given the good support I got from flipkart ordering books and post shipment support, did not think twice before ordering 6303i.
Got it for Rs 6050 as compared to the cheapest in HYD @ 6500 or on ebay @ 6350 + 50 Rs (shipping) besides ebay item sometimes ships grey market items. Got item in 2 days flat with flipkart using my favorite armex couriers

Prices for most of the phones look a bit cheaper and they seem to have wider range.

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 29th September 2010 at 21:21.
Old 29th September 2010, 21:41   #7000
BANNED

Quote:
The interesting read appeared on New York Times, two days ago.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/te...y/27nokia.html

The politics of hiring Nokia's first non-Finnish CEO are:[list=1]
Should Nokia embrace either Android or Windows Phone 7 and dump the remainder from the past?

After all, how can Nokia maintain two operating systems?
Me thinks its a fine balance they are trying to hit -
1)Getting a software guy into hardware driven company.
2)Getting someone with closed OS background when they seem to be fast driving to opensource to ensure windows market is not side stepped.
3)Get key guy from MS to makeup for better relationships that have been on the low for sometime.

Vijay
Old 29th September 2010, 22:13   #7001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
flipkart.com has better prices than ebay and even compareindia.com for few phones.
Given the good support I got from flipkart ordering books and post shipment support, did not think twice before ordering 6303i.
Got it for Rs 6050 as compared to the cheapest in HYD @ 6500 or on ebay @ 6350 + 50 Rs (shipping) besides ebay item sometimes ships grey market items. Got item in 2 days flat with flipkart using my favorite armex couriers

Prices for most of the phones look a bit cheaper and they seem to have wider range.

Vijay
I agree with you buddy! Flipkart rocks when it comes to books and pricing. I've yet to give it a try for mobiles. Prices do look lower than Ebay but then the weekly deals/discount coupons from Ebay take the cake there.
Old 29th September 2010, 23:40   #7002
BHPian

For all the Samsung Wave (or any bada device for that matter) owners, I have created a new thread to share tips, tricks and hacks for the Samsung bada OS.

Here is the link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...cks-hacks.html
Old 30th September 2010, 10:10   #7003
BHPian

Wave case pic

@UKR - The screen guard is pretty much transparent and it does not really standout. you might notice if you slide you finger from across the screen it does touch the edge of the phone. with the screen guard the extra mm seems to level the area.
What I noticed is the screen guard seems to get more sumdgy but easily wiped.
Like you said better safe than sorry

I have not activated the voice guided navigation, will try on the weekend.

Yes i was able to update the firmware via Kies, it took a total of 17mins
The download of the f/w took - 11 mins
The upgrade took 6 mins.

With regards to a Car Kit, if you are just looking for a stand, window mounted, i did see a nice one at Car Shringar down the road from Garuda Mall. This was a few months back it was around Rs 750.

Below pics shows what the case looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-wave-pouch.jpg  

Last edited by yajaman99 : 30th September 2010 at 10:12. Reason: spelling
Old 30th September 2010, 10:15   #7004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some aspects of Symbian^3 on the Nokia N8 are the almost the same as Symbian S60 5th Edition. But spend a thought to ponder – We Symbian users like this familiarity. Keeping some of this will let us use our new device without needing to relearn the UI.
There is one thing the is completely different. That is Applications.

Current applications would not work on Symbian^3. Developers need to implement major changes for Symbian^3. And who will write apps for two platforms to target a fragmented marketshare.

Case in Point, almost all GPS Apps, almost all Sports Apps. Nith Nokia's own GPS, device is limited to Navteq's maps which covers just under a 100 cities in India.

And Nokia's App Store has failed, just look at number of Apps sold at iPhone / Android marketplace vs Ovi.

And that is the case when Nokia has more marketshare than rest of two combined.

Without applications, a smartphone is just an expensive brick.

Two things Nokia needs to do pronto:

1. Win in US market
2. Win developer mindshare

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 30th September 2010 at 10:17.
Old 30th September 2010, 14:50   #7005
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is one thing the is completely different. That is Applications.

Current applications would not work on Symbian^3. Developers need to implement major changes for Symbian^3. And who will write apps for two platforms to target a fragmented marketshare.
Have you programmed in Qt? I have, since their Trolltech days.

Quote:
Nith Nokia's own GPS, device is limited to Navteq's maps which covers just under a 100 cities in India.
Have you used Google Maps in Symbian? What about MGMaps?

USA is neither the biggest market nor the location of the most developers.
It will be good to build US market share, but India is bigger.
And China is even bigger.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks