Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 21:55   #6976
Senior - BHPian

Beware of the basic Nokias - may like the 1203 and same/similar family have only one speaker. Which means that anybody around you will be able to hear the conversation clearly. Battery life is also pathetic. That may not be important to you, but repeated recharging also means you will have to replace it very soon.

They have come up with some new models (2 are dual SIM) though. Dunno how good or bad they are.

Some re-branded Chinese phones can actually be much better (& significantly cheaper!) than Nokias, in that category. But you gotta know which ones. Nokia quality has declined significantly in recent years. Check out reviews. If you don't want to do that, the Guru range of Samsung might be your safest bet.

Last edited by Raccoon : 24th September 2010 at 21:58.
Old 24th September 2010, 22:21   #6977
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Nokia launched C6, C6 and E7 last day.

Anyone here checked out C5? I found its screen very different.
Whats the price for C6?

How does it compare to Samsung Wave?
Old 25th September 2010, 18:58   #6978
BHPian

C6 will cost around 14k. The Nokia priority dealer does not have it yet atleast in my area. You can get it for USD 250 outside India. I would recommend the N97 mini over the C6 any day.
Could someone let me know how much a Blackberry Pearl Flip costs? I have got quotes from 10k onwards to 28k . Its available at amazon for $140 . Is it advisable buying online?
Old 26th September 2010, 11:22   #6979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Whats the price for C6?

Samsung Wave is an amazing device if you are ready to take the risk with Samsung Apps. There are about 700~ apps right now in their app store. (This number was only 300 around a month ago, so it is growing rapidly). I am also planning to buy this phone but the problem is - it is out of stock everywhere. I think Samsung didn't imagine that it will sell so much and hence they are struggling to keep up with the demand.
Old 26th September 2010, 12:14   #6980
UKR
BHPian

Nokia C6 vs Samsung Wave GT-8500

Quote:
Whats the price for C6?

@crazy driver: I think C6 and Wave are in slightly different price bands but still here is a quick comparison of C6 to Wave,

Pros of Nokia C6 when compared to Wave

1. QWERTY keypad
2. HSDPA 850/1900 for 3G (not sure what that is, think it is frequency band used in USA)
3. Not sure about price but should be around 2-3k cheaper than the Wave.
4. Symbian OS v9.4
5. Voice command dial
6. Unlimited entries possible in phonebook contact

Cons of Nokia C6 when compared to Samsung Wave

1. TFT resistive touch screen(slow touch response, dull color reproduction and brightness) to super AMOLED screen of Wave, the best in the world at present.
2. 360x640 3.2inch Screen resolution to Wave's 480x800 3.3 inch screen
- weighs 150g to Wave's 118g
3. No multi touch input in C6 (which enables functionality like pinch zooming) which is present in the Wave.
4. Only 240mb inbuilt memory compared to 1.5GB in the Wave
5. MicroSD supports max of 16GB only against 32GB supported by Wave.
6. Maximum 3G HSDPA speed is only 3.6Mbps against 7.2Mbps in the Wave.
7. Supports WiFi b/g where as Wave supports b/g/n, n being the fastest and having farthest WLAN range
8. Bluetooth v2.0 to Wave's bluetooth v3.0(faster data transfer)
9. Camera lacks features like face, smile and blink detection, image stabilization and touch focus which are present in the Wave.
10. VGA video recording @30fps compared to the Wave's 720p video recording @30 fps
11. Inbuilt video player does not play divx where as the wave supports divx/Xvid files including the latest mkv format also.
12. 434Mhz processor compared to Wave's 1 Ghz processor.
13. No TV out in C6 which is present in the Wave.
14. Battery is 1200mAh compared to Wave's 15oomAh one.
15. Stand-by time is 384 hours to wave's 600 hours
16. Talk time of 7 hours to Wave's 15 hours
17. Music play time of 30 hours compared to 35 hours in Wave
18. Radiation level(SAR) of 1.2 W/Kg to 0.99 W/Kg in the Wave.

Take your pick!

Edit: I own the Wave and if you ask me it is worth every penny spent and even more. What it provides is far more than others offerings in the price band. Also the app store is expanding fast. Only grouse is with the Kies PC software which is resource intensive and some bugs need to be ironed out. I bought it from Samsung store in the Forum mall Bangalore, paid 17,700.

Last edited by UKR : 26th September 2010 at 12:23.
Old 27th September 2010, 10:12   #6981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Beware of the basic Nokias - may like the 1203 and same/similar family have only one speaker. Which means that anybody around you will be able to hear the conversation clearly. Battery life is also pathetic.
Hmmm... Don't know about the 1203, but the 1200 is the best basic phone I've seen! Nobody around can hear the conversation of the other party unless you turn the speakerphone on. So I don't know what you're talking about. Battery gives at least 3 hours talk time over 3-4 days (after 2.5 years of use). Can't call it pathetic. And I've dropped it several times (once from 5 ft above ground). Nothing happened!
Old 27th September 2010, 12:20   #6982
Senior - BHPian

^^^Then 1200 must have 2 speakers, thats why you haven't experienced that problem. But as I mentioned 1203 and many other basic Nokia phones have only ONE speaker. Nokia has made cost cutting into an absurdity and made these devices useless for most users. Batteries are also truly pathetic (may not be all of them, as it seems Nokia sources its batteries from different vendors) and many hardly last 1 day in stand-by (thats for < 1 year old phones!!). Personally, I have a 1112 whose battery hardly gives 1 hour talk time after charging (3 years old, not used much). Not just that but it has needed several visits to Nokia care. In comparision I have LGs and Motorola batteries that even last upto 4 - 6 years and the decline in performance is much, much lower, even after seeing much heavier use! Earlier, even Nokia batteries (and phones too!) used to last real long. I have seen 7 -8 year old Nokias with the same original battery that came with the phone giving great service without ever needing any repairs or replacements. That is just not the case today. Nokia quality is fast approaching China phone standards... in fact, considering some parameters, its already there.

Also, original Nokia batteries are expensive, considering the price of new basic handsets. IMO, it makes more sense to replace the phone than to replace the battery. That is unless you are ready to buy Chinese batteries, which might be risky.

Lasty, only Nokia has the dubious distinction of palming of thousands of exploding batteries.

Btw, the privacy/speaker issue with the phones I have talked about is also referred to as "voice leakage" issue by some people. Just Google it, if you need more evidence.
Old 28th September 2010, 17:26   #6983
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on the Nokia N8 release? Looking forward to upgrade from the E72.
Old 28th September 2010, 19:25   #6984
BHPian

It has been about a month since i picked up the Samsung wave.
Picked it up from Univercel, Sahakarnagar, other locations nearby did not have stock.
Cost 18K.
8GB Transcend 1K
Flip Pouch and screen guard rs 850 from Sangeetha @ Forum
Pros
1. Amazing Display (Super AMOLED)
2. HD Video capture (720p)
3. 1Ghz processor (using Wifi at home the pages just pop open)
4. H/w GPS - downloaded Route 66 maps for india
5. the Apps store is fun.
6. Support for Divx - (no need to convert the downloaded movies i have)

Cons.
1. Inital F/w had a bug with Exchange Activ Sync (upgrade to JH1 seems to be stable)
2. Battery drains fast with this option enabled (constant download) (daily recharge)
Old 28th September 2010, 21:18   #6985
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I would recommend the N97 mini over the C6 any day.
Brother has got N97.

Forget the mini, i would pick Wave over N97 anyday. Just wanted to know if C6 makes a case for itself at a lesser price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I am also planning to buy this phone but the problem is - it is out of stock everywhere. I think Samsung didn't imagine that it will sell so much and hence they are struggling to keep up with the demand.
I bought one for a friend a month back @ Chennai Mobile Store. They had to get it from some other showroom, after i placed the order!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
@crazy driver: Take your pick!
Thanks a lot for putting in such details!

Google search pointed to some blogs telling C6 will be priced around 13k- 14k. At 15k, forget it Nokia!
Old 28th September 2010, 21:33   #6986
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
Picked it up from Univercel, Sahakarnagar, other locations nearby did not have stock.
Cost 18K.
8GB Transcend 1K
Flip Pouch and screen guard rs 850 from Sangeetha @ Forum

upgrade to JH1 seems to be stable
I also picked up the wave about three weeks back from the Samsung shop at Forum for 17.7K. Since I couldn't find 32GB micro SD cards anywhere, I settled for a 16GB Sandisk.

Does it really need a screen guard? I mean I am yet to put one on mine, but doesn't have a single scratch yet (touchwood!). I guess the screen is made of some special type of glass which is hard to scratch. I also feel the sticker spoils the look. But yes, better to put a scratch guard and be safe than sorry. How is the quality of the screen guard and flip pouch you bought from Sangeetha?

I am looking to buy a car kit, or atleast a car phone holder so that I can use the GPS. Any idea where I could get one? The Samsung shop in the Forum don't have this.

Also I was told that the voice guided navigation is free for one month but I am still unable to activate it. Every time it asks me to buy a license. Were you able to activate it?

Were you able to upgrade the firmware through Kies without any issues? Also which is the country you had selected while installing Kies?

Also any document editor available for the wave?
Old 28th September 2010, 22:38   #6987
Senior - BHPian

Nokia E5 has been launched.
It will be available at the Nokia priority stores initially.
Costs ~12k
Old 29th September 2010, 09:35   #6988
Senior - BHPian

Nokia's market-share down by 20% in India.

Nokia loses its India plot, mkt share tanks - The Economic Times

Nokia 's phones at lower end are eaten by cheap chinese imports, smartphones are killed by Android.

Hope new CEO drills some sense into Nokia and it brings out Android devices.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:28   #6989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Forget the mini, i would pick Wave over N97 anyday. Just wanted to know if C6 makes a case for itself at a lesser price.
C6 looks like old wine in a new bottle. It doesn't make any sense to me. There is nothing exciting about this phone, except a physical QWERTY keypad, to accommodate which, the phone has been made very bulky and heavy.

If one is really hell bent on spending that kind of money on a Nokia, it is better to wait for the C6-01 or C7.

Rohan
Old 29th September 2010, 12:15   #6990
Senior - BHPian

What is the street price for C6?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks