Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:57   #6886
BHPian

Need some suggestions!!!!!

I currently use sony ericssion W960i. Though it is a very good phone, its very bulky.
I need a 'basic' phone for everyday use. I am willing to spend about 3-4K on it. max is 5K! It should be a Candy bar or slide design. Also, it should not be very bulky. I want to carry it in my pocket to office everyday!

I need good battery backup, Camera, FM, Bluetooth etc. Willing to compromise on memory.

Only Nokia, SE, Samsung for me. No Micromax,Karbon or other companies with silly name

Can you guys give me any suggestions? I have looked at Samsung Marine and Samsung E2550. Both seem good. Are there any other phones i can check out?
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:45   #6887
BHPian

@naveenvenkatesh

You can take a look at Nokia 5130.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
All, is Wave available in any shades other than that grey? Any way to get one in white?

This requirement is for a girl, who is otherwise looking to go with Nokia C6 / N97 due to the looks alone (As they have white casing) and i believe they are not at all worth the price when compared to wave.
Except the Grey, Wave was also available in black. I liked the black one over the grey and bought it. That was 2 months ago so I am not sure if it still retails in that colour. Definitely not available in white though.

I have heard that a white casing for Samsung Galaxy S is in offing. Or you could also look at SE Xperia X10 in white.

Last edited by Cesc : 3rd September 2010 at 15:50.
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:17   #6888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I need a 'basic' phone for everyday use. I am willing to spend about 3-4K on it. max is 5K! It should be a Candy bar or slide design. Also, it should not be very bulky. I want to carry it in my pocket to office everyday!

I need good battery backup, Camera, FM, Bluetooth etc. Willing to compromise on memory.
Nokia 2730 classic suits your requirements.

Quote:
Only Nokia, SE, Samsung for me. No Micromax,Karbon or other companies with silly name
How about KenXinDa ? Ever heard a sillier name ?

Rohan
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:17   #6889
BHPian

Mobile @ 10000 Rs.

Please suggest me mobile phone @ 10000 Rs.

Good battery backup is 1st Priority.
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:21   #6890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I currently use sony ericssion W960i. Though it is a very good phone, its very bulky.

Can you guys give me any suggestions? I have looked at Samsung Marine and Samsung E2550. Both seem good. Are there any other phones i can check out?
Consider the Samsung S5200. Reportedly it has one of the best cams in its class and good music player too. However, battery back up may disappoint.

Thats just a suggestion. I do not own it, so not speaking thru user experience.
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:51   #6891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Consider the Samsung S5200. Reportedly it has one of the best cams in its class and good music player too. However, battery back up may disappoint.

Thats just a suggestion. I do not own it, so not speaking thru user experience.
Nice suggestion. This one looks like it fits my requirement to the T. Any idea about the battery life?

Other features are good. Camera seem really nice. At about 5K, i think its a good buy!
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:55   #6892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Nokia 2730 classic suits your requirements.

How about KenXinDa ? Ever heard a sillier name ?

Rohan
Wow. This one takes the cake. We all had a good laugh just now regarding all the 'silly' mobile companies.

Did you know that is a company called 'Lemon'. Just imagine the 'Lemons' they dish out

I will check out Nokia 2730. Any idea about its battery life?
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:03   #6893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow. This one takes the cake. We all had a good laugh just now regarding all the 'silly' mobile companies.

Did you know that is a company called 'Lemon'. Just imagine the 'Lemons' they dish out

I will check out Nokia 2730. Any idea about its battery life?
http://www.kenxinda.com/

Some can be silly like what we thought about Karbon but the built quality is good, price is, there are lot of functions and they sell a lot!
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:07   #6894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
HONGKONG Kenxinda Technology Co., Ltd.,mobile phone,cell phone,TV mobile phone,GSM mobile phone,KENXINDA MOBILE PHONE

Some can be silly like what we thought about Karbon but the built quality is good, price is, there are lot of functions and they sell a lot!
Agreed.
For the price conscious, these make sense.

But for brand conscious, it a bit more difficult.
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:47   #6895
UKR
BHPian

Samsung Wave GT-8500

I had bought the wave three weeks back but at that time I was told that it was available only in black. May be they have stopped the grey color or may be I was taken for a ride. Anyway didn't bother as I had been doing the research for a new phone for quite some time and my mind was already set on the wave. Also black looked fine to me.

Here is my experience with the phone,

Connectivity

wi-fi b/g/n - I don't think any other phone in this price bracket has wifi 'n' connectivity. I connected successfully to my home wifi network without any fuss and downloaded NFS shift which is being provided free for wave owners from samsung app store.

Bluetooth v3.0 - Again a first in this price range i think? Connected without problems to my laptop, as well as other mobile phones and transferred files. I was also able to pair it to my linea's blue & me and was able to make and receive calls.

3G - yet to test. Will be taking a bsnl 3g connection tomorrow.

Camera

Has a 5 mp camera with flash and HD video recording. Also has a second camera for video call. It takes decent photos although a bit dark in dim light situations. Auto focus is fast. Yet to test the video recording.

Display

It has a Super amoled screen - The sharpness, vibrance, brightness & contrast and rich deep blacks is too good, words don't do justice. It has to be seen to be believed. Again the only phone in this price range to have this type of screen. The capacitive touch screen is very responsive and has pinch zoom functionality. Because the finish is very glossy especially the glass screen, one will have a tough time keeping it fingerprint free.

Memory

2 gb inbuilt memory with micro sd slot expandable upto 32gb. But the card slot is underneath the battery and hence not hot swappable.

Miscellaneous features

Has both A-GPS and inbuilt GPS receiver. Achieved GPS lock very quickly. The installed gps navigation software route 66 worked smoothly. But the battery drains heavily when the gps is on. And you have to pay for the voice guided navigation services.

TV out - yet to be tested. tv out cable has to be bought seperately.

It has a micro usb port. The phone charges through this. Phone can connect in mass storage mode as well among several other modes.

Build quality of both the screen and the body is superb.

Good battery backup except if you use GPS when the battery drains quickly.

1Ghz processor - Almost a mini computer on that front! The applications especially the games NFS shift loads and runs smoothly without any delays or jerks. The phone is very responsive.

Call quality

The voice quality is excellent. The speaker phone is also loud but crackles a bit at the maximum volume, but the speaker is loud enough even before you reach the max volume.

Video playback

Tried playing an avi movie file. It played without smoothly without any lag. Video clarity is top notch far superior to any other model in this range.

Music playback

Top class music quality. Even better than my nokia N91 music phone and I am not talking about the loudness like some people do when talking about music quality. It is loud but apart from that, the clarity is superb, has excellent fidelity, you can actually make out individual instruments being played in a song. The bass notes also play in their full glory and does not get muffled out. The only grouse I am having is that it does not have a customizable graphic equalizer like the N91 or at least I am yet to find the setting in the phone.

Kies (PC software)

Less said the better. Full of bugs, hangs randomly, too heavy on resources

Overall it offers tremendous value for money.

I am sure this does not cover all features of the phone. I will post more details as and when I uncover them in my phone.
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:55   #6896
BANNED

Awaiting this android phone @ ~ 5k

Techtree.com India > News > Consumer Electronics > Huawei Launches Low-cost Android Phone
http://www.androidguys.com/2010/09/0...powered-ideos/

Not long ago there were enough nay sayers on how G1 and similar hardware based phones are stuck @ 1.6. Where art thou?. Now almost all of these 'legacy phones' are having 2.2 officially or at least cyanogen mods.

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 3rd September 2010 at 23:57.
Old 4th September 2010, 00:34   #6897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice suggestion. This one looks like it fits my requirement to the T. Any idea about the battery life?

Other features are good. Camera seem really nice. At about 5K, i think its a good buy!
Nopes. But reviews put the battery between mediocre to average... so conflicting views. It has a 800 mAh battery. So it seems like it is not a phone to be chosen if you want above average battery life. Also its not much customizible, etc. So upto you to decide. IMO it currently seems bit overpriced for its feature set.
Old 4th September 2010, 00:58   #6898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Except the Grey, Wave was also available in black. I liked the black one over the grey and bought it. Or you could also look at SE Xperia X10 in white.
Wave it is. Its such an amazing little phone at the price. Can get her an N97 at a higher price (in white), but i think Wave is much much better than the N97.

Haven't used X10 though. Is it as good as Wave?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
I had bought the wave three weeks back but at that time I was told that it was available only in black.
Thanks for such a fantastic review. What is the price that you paid? What about warranty?
Old 4th September 2010, 01:02   #6899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
I had bought the wave three weeks back
What is the current price of Wave? What is the resolution of its screen?
Old 4th September 2010, 09:14   #6900
BHPian

Need a large screen phone with good camera

I am using the Nokia 5230 currently and looking for an upgrade, big screen size & camera quality being my priority.

Nokia is not having nor will bring out anything in big screen, so i have to move out from my only brand used so far.

I have seen the Samsung Galaxy S and did like it except the its low 5mp camera. For the asking price it deserves a 10mp.

So what are the other options compared to Galaxy S, my needs are web surfing, using gps navigation and photography with geo tagging.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks