Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 16:27   #6781
Senior - BHPian

I've the somewhat different opinion about Sony-Ericsson phones. Out of all my phones 3 phones stopped working and all 3 of them are Sony-Ericssons. 1st one stopped working after just 1 month (but this was bought in grey market so might just be a bad piece). Next one[J something] worked for a year and gone bust (it was a gift to my sis). 3rd one (W700) which I bought around the same time as the 2nd one and lasted around 2 years and one fine day it got dropped from my pocket and the screen stopped working. Was asked 2.5k for repair but I have had enough of SE and jumped ship to Nokia. This has been with me for last 2+ years and I've dropped, kicked (unintentionally) and abused like anything but still running strong. Althogh I've changed my phone recently I would say that Nokia phones are much better in terms of durability and their ability to take abuse. I still have my old Nokia phones lying somewhere around. They were in working condition when got retired unlike the SE phones which stopped working.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 10th August 2010 at 16:30.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:28   #6782
BHPian

Touch Screen phones
Samsung Corby for the best battery life (easily 3 days with single charge) and cost
Nokia 5230 for its GPS and music capabilities
Videcon touch mobile for windows based GPS capabilities

Non touch screen phones
Nokia C5 for its 3G offerings
Samsung Corby txt - 4500 to 4700
Micromax Q7 for wifi and dual sim
MVL 581 for dual sim with push email feature like blackberry (looks like one too)

Hope this will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
2 months back bought Samsung S5620 (Monte) for wifey. Still not able to find any GPS application for that ...
Samsung you won't find any GPS applications .. Sad but true

Last edited by kailashnj : 10th August 2010 at 16:30. Reason: Updated
Old 10th August 2010, 17:41   #6783
Senior - BHPian

Nokia's hardware quality is amazing. I am using 5230 at the moment. It not expensive (costs 7 -8k) and has amazing batter backup.

Recently, I went on a cycle trip of 40 KMs. It took 3 hours. GPS + GPRS was on all the time to record and upload the track.

After three hours, battery indicator was still showing full bars and did not take long to stop charging once connected to charger.
Old 10th August 2010, 17:42   #6784
Senior - BHPian

There is a new update for 5800; seems its an important update (2737kB).

Last edited by jkdas : 10th August 2010 at 17:43.
Old 10th August 2010, 18:03   #6785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Recently, I went on a cycle trip of 40 KMs. It took 3 hours. GPS + GPRS was on all the time to record and upload the track.
I have the 5230 too. I keep the GPRS off all the time while using GPS and it eats the battery really fast. Most of the time the phone dies in around ~2 hours.
Old 10th August 2010, 18:32   #6786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Try at some Nokia priority dealer, or the big Nokia store on Church street (parallel to MG road).

There are more chances of it being available at Nokia store, as compared to other retailers.
Funny thing is I tried many Nokia priority dealers first. Many of them had never heard of the model, and none of them had any in stock. Only Sangeetha had them in stock, but in the wrong color.

I'll try the Church Street store.
Old 10th August 2010, 19:55   #6787
BHPian

Nokia 5230 GPS track recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
GPS + GPRS was on all the time to record and upload the track.
I too have the Nokia 5230.
What app do you use to record tracks?
I am experimenting with GpsMid (found out in this thread earlier).
Does Google-maps or Nokia-maps have recording capability?
I have to export the gpx file from GpsMid, copy it to my PC, and import it into Google-maps on the PC. Now I can view this track from my mobile under Google-maps again, a round-about way, is there any easier way?
Old 10th August 2010, 20:22   #6788
Senior - BHPian

^^ For Nokia users I think the best bet is the Nokia Sports Tracker. Pretty good software with a very nice interface. That's the one thing I'm missing most now :(
Old 10th August 2010, 21:08   #6789
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am looking for the following phone for my wife. It is the Nokia 3710 fold.

Attachment 403217

We found it in Sangeetha in black. But my wife will only accept it in plum color shown above. Any idea how to get it in plum color, which no retailer bothers to keep?

I completely agree. Samsung makes best mobile hardware, but their software stinks, which made me stop buying Samsung after long stint of loyalty to them. The Nokia and SE have good software, but hardware is nowhere near the robustness of Samsung.

I think only Apple & HTC have the best combo of hardware and software. Motorola is on the other end, they are bad in both hardware and software.
I was also planning to buy the same model for my wife. How much is the price for this?

Also I am looking at the X6 from Nokia or Samsung Wave S8500 for myself. I am looking to use the free ovi maps for navigation, 3G for internet and wifi features. I checked up the phone at Sangeetha, but was disappointed with the build quality. I mean the back cover was already giving creaking noises and didn't fit properly.

Samsung's super amoled screen is leagues ahead of the X6, it also has better build quality and a 1Ghz processor!! compared to ~400Mhz of the X6. But lack of free gps navigation and relatively new OS(Bada) goes against it.

Anyone here who owns Nokia X6 or the Samsung wave s8500, would you be kind enough to give a detailed review?
Old 10th August 2010, 21:34   #6790
Senior - BHPian

Any clue when Nokia E5 is coming out? Its been ages and no store has concrete information on the launch date!
Old 10th August 2010, 22:09   #6791
Senior - BHPian

@kailashnj, thanks a lot!

I also found HTC Touch on ebay for ~8,000, which does not look like a bad deal at all.
Old 10th August 2010, 22:14   #6792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
I was also planning to buy the same model for my wife. How much is the price for this?

Also I am looking at the X6 from Nokia or Samsung Wave S8500 for myself. I am looking to use the free ovi maps for navigation, 3G for internet and wifi features. I checked up the phone at Sangeetha, but was disappointed with the build quality. I mean the back cover was already giving creaking noises and didn't fit properly.

Samsung's super amoled screen is leagues ahead of the X6, it also has better build quality and a 1Ghz processor!! compared to ~400Mhz of the X6. But lack of free gps navigation and relatively new OS(Bada) goes against it.

Anyone here who owns Nokia X6 or the Samsung wave s8500, would you be kind enough to give a detailed review?
I use a X6. I agree the back battery cover of x6 is bit light, But the phone performs great and improved a lot. Its included with a 16gb mass memory which can be accessed pretty faster too.

But when compared to Wave, again Wave is 2.3k costlier and it has 1 Ghz processor, Amoled Display and Bada Os.

I am using HTC Wildfire now and a BB too.

Last edited by thelightening : 10th August 2010 at 22:16.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:03   #6793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Funny thing is I tried many Nokia priority dealers first. Many of them had never heard of the model, and none of them had any in stock. Only Sangeetha had them in stock, but in the wrong color.

I'll try the Church Street store.
How about buying it and changing the panels??? May be you can get the panels from abroad???
Old 11th August 2010, 15:00   #6794
Senior - BHPian

Guys,How much is the Nokia X6 for these days?
Old 11th August 2010, 17:06   #6795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I too have the Nokia 5230.
What app do you use to record tracks?
Right now, I am using nokia sports tracker. Nokia have shutdown this service though. So you can't view them on PC at the moment. So, you have to export it to GPS from the Application in cell and then view it on EveryTrail or similar service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I have the 5230 too. I keep the GPRS off all the time while using GPS and it eats the battery really fast. Most of the time the phone dies in around ~2 hours.
I guess your usage is GPS navigation. That eats much more battery since CPU usage is high and Screen is on most of time.

For GPS tracking and logging apps, screen is off and CPU usage is minimal.

Most Viewed