Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 20:38   #6736
BHPian

^Generally I have got the best price from Global Access, Domlur. Try there.
Also, we can tie up and buy togather. I plan to buy X6-16GB on 14th aug. We may be able to get a better deal.

Regards,
Old 4th August 2010, 20:41   #6737
Team-BHP Support

I'd decided to stretch my budget to 19k from 16k and managed to pick up the Nokia N97 Mini instead of the Nokia X6. It's a much much better phone than the latter and is worth the few extra thousands! Trust me on this! I'm thoroughly chuffed!
Old 4th August 2010, 20:57   #6738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'd decided to stretch my budget to 19k from 16k and managed to pick up the Nokia N97 Mini instead of the Nokia X6. It's a much much better phone than the latter and is worth the few extra thousands! Trust me on this! I'm thoroughly chuffed!
Suhas, have you considered 5800. Its got 3G, GPS and Wifi. 3 things that i would personally look in a phone. You could cut your budget by another 3k
Old 4th August 2010, 21:27   #6739
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Suhas, have you considered 5800. Its got 3G, GPS and Wifi. 3 things that i would personally look in a phone. You could cut your budget by another 3k
I had considered the 5800. The issue I had with the 5800 is that I had no other option but the touch-screen keypad. Texting is the hardest thing to do on that phone. 3G, GPS and Wifi were features I already had on my old N82. I wanted something as good, if not better, than the N82. The N97 Mini fitted the bill perfectly. It feels great to hold, the interface is great, and it's way classier than the X6 IMO.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:01   #6740
BaldOwl

Anyone waiting for the Nokia N8. Idea when it would be available at what price?

I am presently inclined towards the N900 but depends upon the N8 for now.

Old 5th August 2010, 18:06   #6741
Senior - BHPian

I asked at a nokia priority dealer & they said N8 would be priced between 25-30k, but this is no concrete news. i feel it would be in 30-35k range.
Old 5th August 2010, 23:48   #6742
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldOwl View Post
Anyone waiting for the Nokia N8. Idea when it would be available at what price?
Have been talking about what would be the Nokia N8 for the past six months.
Here is the trail.

1st August 2010, 12:48 post #6686 on page 446
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2005760

27th April 2010, 21:31 post #6177 on page 412
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ia#post1858901

26th March 2010, 13:45 post #5991 on page 400
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1804586

12th March 2010, 22:18 post #6069 on page 405
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ia#post1834819
Old 6th August 2010, 09:42   #6743
BHPian

I was planning to upgrade from my new x6 to an android phone like I9000. I have a blackberry too. Is an andorid phone is worth the price now a days?
Old 6th August 2010, 10:52   #6744
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
I was planning to upgrade from my new x6 to an android phone like I9000. I have a blackberry too. Is an andorid phone is worth the price now a days?
Worth means different things to different people.

As a team-BHPian, one marvels at the
eternal conflict stemming from the existence of
buyers who want to negotiate a serious sedan for the price of an economy hatch
and sellers who want to palm off an economy hatch for the price of a serious sedan.

Seriously your own evaluation of "Worth" depends on
  • how much you intend to spend and
  • how much value you think is enough, for the money you spend.
"Money will not purchase happiness for the man who has no concept of what he wants: money will not give him a code of values, if he's evaded the knowledge of what to value, and it will not provide him with a purpose, if he's evaded the choice of what to seek. Money will not buy intelligence for the fool, or admiration for the coward, or respect for the incompetent." -- from Atlas Shrugged (1957) by Ayn Rand.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:08   #6745
Senior - BHPian

Deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
^Generally I have got the best price from Global Access, Domlur. Try there.
Also, we can tie up and buy togather. I plan to buy X6-16GB on 14th aug. We may be able to get a better deal.

Regards,
Hi Amohit,

Thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot the shop from where I got my Samsung Omnia. Yes, when I purchased the Omnia from them, they had the lowest price for the 8GB version.

I'm more than happy to tie up and buy together. 14th Aug is fine for me. Let me know when you'd like to go on 14th. I've PM'd my number to you. I hope we can get a good deal. But before we go, do you have someone you know in Global Access you can check the price of Corby Pro with? If it's way pricier than 9800, then Univercell sounds a better deal to me. Let's see.

Thanks
aK
Old 6th August 2010, 14:27   #6746
BHPian

^ Ajay, I have decided to wait for a few more weeks. Just wanted to see if something more affordable in Android space comes up.

Regards,
Old 6th August 2010, 14:48   #6747
Senior - BHPian

The margins on Mobile phones are wafer thin, guys.
You probably will save or lose a couple hundred bucks at best if you buy together.
So, don't bother.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:15   #6748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Worth means different things to different people.

-- from Atlas Shrugged (1957) by Ayn Rand.
can't help but smile. That was lot of gyan for somebody wanting to know if android is a good option. good one
Old 6th August 2010, 20:49   #6749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
can't help but smile. That was lot of gyan for somebody wanting to know if android is a good option. good one
Agreed Viveek, First it find bit more in-digestive, then understood whats that representing. But anyway all android phones are >15000 in its price tag with least features. For all those above 25k is having good features, so was eager to know whether is it real value for money to switch to Android?
Old 7th August 2010, 15:14   #6750
Senior - BHPian

Vodafone knows nothing!

I bought a new Vodafone Postpaid Sim for my phone yesterday & it was activated in 6 hrs. I asked the representative at the Vodafone store on how to activate the zero rental GPRS service. He asked me to SMS "ACT VL ZERO" to 111. i browsed through the manual i got with the SIM & also checked their website & found the same. So, i sent the same SMS.

In the evening, i just made my account in their website to check my details & found that my plan & everything is proper but my GPRS status shows Vodafone Live at Rs. 49 a month!!! Today morning i called them & asked them about this as why i would be charged Rs. 49 when i have not asked this service. they told me that i sent the message on 6/8/10. i checked my sent messages list & it was ACT VL ZERO as advised and that was for zero rental. but they kept arguing that i dint write ZERO!!!

anyways, i asked why my net is not activated till now. he asked my phone model number, kept me on hold & later informs me that GPRS (Vodafone Live) service would not be available on my phone since its Android! i was like .

I blasted them. it was ridiculous that they first deduct Rs. 50 without my consent & then tell me that GPRS wont be available. They tell me that i can opt for the "Vodafone Connect" service which can be available on my phone & it will cost me Rs. 200/month. I ridicule them saying that MTNL offers 3G net service at Rs. 100/month & you are offering 2G at Rs 200??!! moreover my net usage is very limited, so i was not ready to shell out Rs. 200.

Finally i ask them what should i do now? you have already added Rs. 40 in my bill & i am not getting net. So they say we are helpless as your phone is not compatible. so i ask them why do they offer such services which is limited only to nokias & basic handsets? what do they expect, people buying phones costing 25k+ will not use GPRS? or should we consult Vodafone before buying a new handset? they had no answer. i hung up totally frustrated.

Meanwhile, my friend called me saying that he found the net settings on another forum & asked me to note it down. Then i noted that my phone showed 3 names with different settings- Vod Connect, VF Live, VF MMS. i set the default to VF Live, changed a few settings & it started working! Now, though i find the GPRS speed to be a bit less, its atleast working.

Now, i know its my mistake that i dint check the default settings, but why did Vodafane make an excuse that VF live wont work with Android? if it is so, how is it working now on my phone then? instead they could have asked me to check the default settings. Is this a common excuse they tell to all customers who have anything different from nokias? God knows...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks