Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 20:01   #6601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
That is because it is not connected with the satelite. It shows where you are depending on the nearest GSM tower/network.

Google maps does not work in places where there is no GSM network, so we should stop comparing it with Navigation devices. It is just a map, not a navigator.
Sigh.. Are we on same page or even talking same thing ?

I am talking of inaccuracy in the map data itself and I was comparing google maps in India versus Open Street maps ( It is fully your choice if you run them on a mobile phone versus any other device)

Now few points.

1, You need GPRS ( data connectivity ) because google by default does not allow to cache the data
2. Satellite based GPS is used to locate your position.
3. To get a fix quickly that is to find which satellites to look for, your network may provide some data so that device gets fix in few seconds instead of minutes and that is known as A-GPS ( assisted GPS)
4. If you are able to cache the map data ( like Sygic ) on a mobile phone you actually do not need data connectivity or network but you will need really long time to get satellite fix because assistance from network is missing.

PS : Open Street Map is actually open source created by People like us who use OSM ( example Tanveer Singh for Laddakh during his excrusions there) and so more accurate and money does not add to profit of one company so even more desirable. For Bangalore it is pretty accurate so try it out if you have not already

Last edited by amitk26 : 9th July 2010 at 20:06.
Old 9th July 2010, 20:14   #6602
BHPian

^^ amit - i am all for open source :-) is OSM available for android? any linkies where I can learn more (sorry haven't seen the the last few pages)

Never mind found this
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android

Now need to find the best app out of the vast number of choices!

Last edited by jassi : 9th July 2010 at 20:19.
Old 9th July 2010, 20:48   #6603
Senior - BHPian

OK, now that we are discussing maps vs navigator here, where does MotoNav which comes in Motorola Milestone stand?
I think it doesn't need active GPRS connection like Google maps does.
Old 10th July 2010, 14:06   #6604
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
And it does not use the compass in my phone, so I have to make do with my geographic sense!
That is the most irritating aspect with Google Maps right now. With it mounted on a mobile holder, I can use it without a co passenger, but the orientation does make it a little difficult.

Of course, the mobile battery too is drained fast.
Old 11th July 2010, 08:37   #6605
BANNED

bought my self a spanking new wave!
love the phone
and in the process convinced 4 of my friends to buy the phone!(2 did buy at the same time as i did).

Although the Auto focus on the camera was a little weak compared to my N82.
Old 11th July 2010, 17:35   #6606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
bought my self a spanking new wave!
How much did you pay & where (if you dont mind my asking)?
Old 11th July 2010, 20:04   #6607
BHPian

any experiences on the sony xperia mini - need to recommend a 15k INR android friend to a buddy and this seems to fit. Reviews seem to be better than the samsung galaxy spica i5700.
Old 11th July 2010, 20:53   #6608
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
How much did you pay & where (if you dont mind my asking)?
I paid 18200 from univercell (Bangalore)
i again bought another one for my friend from a shop called preeti telecom in Matikere (near MSR ) for 17500. All prices inclusive of vat.

p.s
this phone is feature packed!!
just tried out wireless tethering which is a feature you need to pay for in android phones.
and it works out of the box!!
Old 11th July 2010, 21:14   #6609
BHPian

^^ @vinaydas - although I agree the samsung bada based wave is feature packed, I don't agree on the fact that wireless tethering is a feature you need to pay for in android - its free and included in the base android OS.
Old 11th July 2010, 22:09   #6610
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Sigh.. Are we on same page or even talking same thing ?

I am talking of inaccuracy in the map data itself and I was comparing google maps in India versus Open Street maps ( It is fully your choice if you run them on a mobile phone versus any other device)

Now few points.

1, You need GPRS ( data connectivity ) because google by default does not allow to cache the data
2. Satellite based GPS is used to locate your position.
3. To get a fix quickly that is to find which satellites to look for, your network may provide some data so that device gets fix in few seconds instead of minutes and that is known as A-GPS ( assisted GPS)
4. If you are able to cache the map data ( like Sygic ) on a mobile phone you actually do not need data connectivity or network but you will need really long time to get satellite fix because assistance from network is missing.

PS : Open Street Map is actually open source created by People like us who use OSM ( example Tanveer Singh for Laddakh during his excrusions there) and so more accurate and money does not add to profit of one company so even more desirable. For Bangalore it is pretty accurate so try it out if you have not already
That's some useful information and thanks a lot.

Talking about the inaccuracy of google maps, well it depends how the network connectivity is!! Using the cached data would not show you 'where you are'. It will only show you the map which you may use to have an Idea of how to go where.

Like I mentioned in some other thread, once google map showed me I am in Malaysia when I was in Patna. From them, I have stopped using it completely and this is the main reason I want to get another phone with 'Navigation' or A-GPS.
Old 11th July 2010, 22:47   #6611
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ @vinaydas - although I agree the samsung bada based wave is feature packed, I don't agree on the fact that wireless tethering is a feature you need to pay for in android - its free and included in the base android OS.
Maybe in the 2.2 its free but previous versions of android needed to be "activated" i think. correct me if im wrong here.
Old 12th July 2010, 00:53   #6612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
That's some useful information and thanks a lot.

Talking about the inaccuracy of google maps, well it depends how the network connectivity is!! Using the cached data would not show you 'where you are'. It will only show you the map which you may use to have an Idea of how to go where.

Like I mentioned in some other thread, once google map showed me I am in Malaysia when I was in Patna. From them, I have stopped using it completely and this is the main reason I want to get another phone with 'Navigation' or A-GPS.
If map has wrong data it will remain wrong if you are connected or not. Your example is of inaccuracy of location
Old 12th July 2010, 01:13   #6613
Senior - BHPian

guys need a small favour. want to buy my Mom a phone but she is a little careless about it. I have set a budget of about 5k. I want to give her a flip phone which is easy to use and super good looking.
I think the Nokia 7020 is the best option Herr. please have a look and let me know.
good looks and ease of use are both a forte of this phone.

any more suggestions?
Old 12th July 2010, 11:10   #6614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
guys need a small favour. want to buy my Mom a phone but she is a little careless about it. I have set a budget of about 5k. I want to give her a flip phone which is easy to use and super good looking.
I think the Nokia 7020 is the best option Herr. please have a look and let me know.
good looks and ease of use are both a forte of this phone.

any more suggestions?
Nokia has limited options in flip phones. Other than 7020, the options are 2720 and 3710. 2720 is a very basic model whereas 3710 has more features (including GPS).

If you are open to other form factors, you could consider Nokia X3, 6303 and 7230.

If you are open to other brands, Sony Ericsson has some very good looking flip phones. Have a look at T707, Z750, W380 and W508.

Rohan
Old 12th July 2010, 15:26   #6615
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the Nokia 6303i for our office staff. For Rs.6000 its an excellent phone and seems built to last with it's stainless steel body.
Big screen.great battery life and 2 gb card free. It not a smartphone but gets the job done for regular users. Highly recommended if you want to use your phone as a phone and not much else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks