Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 19:55   #6526
Senior - BHPian

There are a few points which differ in my case from Spitfire's. Though mine is a one month old 2nd hand set but I am pretty sure about the same, but still kindly check.

1. Mine did not come with a memory card ( the sales content also does not say that a memory card is included) I have bought a 2 gb memory card.

2. Mine did not have the map or the car holder. There was a promotion going on from Nokia which had the pre installed maps + the car holder but that promotion is over as of 30th June. Check this site for the promotion.

3. Installing maps was not any issue i.e after I got help from people on this thread. I have both google and Ovi Maps. The Ovi maps are 8.2 mb in size in total.

4. The speaker is loud and clear for talking, but for listening to music loud, its not very good ( I am comparing it to my previous Sony ericsson)

5. My GPS and A-GPS both work fine indoors and in the car ( I do not have a phone holder as yet and keep it on the front seat and drive listening to directions) After you have got the initil fix, the subsequent fix's dont take long.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:16   #6527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The 5230 is a great phone for the price.
Thanks a lot for all the clarifications.

Actually I am planning to buy this as a gift for my fiance who is currently in a different city. She is not that technically oriented, hence I wanted to clear all doubts before gifting it to her.

I am looking for something which is ready to use out of the box. Since you mentioned that maps are pre-installed, this looks like the perfect phone for her. (I will warn her about the GPRS charges in case A-GPS is used)

You are right, 5230 is real value for money.

Rohan

P.S. - I would retain the car stand for myself.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:17   #6528
Senior - BHPian

5230 is worth coz it has GPS and now it comes with car stand!

Get 5233 for 6.5k if you dnt want GPS.

I bought B7320 Omni Pro last day from Sankar as he got himself a BB.

Initial impression:

-not easy like my 5800; not user friendly ! ( this is my first Win phone ).
-Funny way to allocate GPRS for browsing.
-Liked the sms part, you can see your send and received sms like in chat.
-volume/clarity is very good
- so with range, 5800 struggles
-its damn fast
- screen isn't great wrt to 5800
- vpn configuration is confusing ( need help)
- and I am yet to copy all contacts which are in memory card to phone! Help needed here too! I have a lot of contacts and this dont import vcf file in bulk !
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:24   #6529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
There are a few points which differ in my case from Spitfire's. Though mine is a one month old 2nd hand set but I am pretty sure about the same, but still kindly check.
Thanks for the clarifications.

I was confused because I was getting contradicting information from different sources. But now everything is clear.

What I have understood is that the earlier package of 5230 (which you have) didn't come with memory card, data cable and pre-installed maps. But the newer package (navigation edition, which Spitfire has got) comes with car stand, memory card, data cable and pre-installed maps.

I saw the 5230 navigation edition in several shops yesterday. It is still available. I will grab one this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
5230 is worth coz it has GPS and now it comes with car stand!

Get 5233 for 6.5k if you dnt want GPS.
I would prefer the 5230 with GPS. But thanks for the suggestion.

Rohan
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:42   #6530
BHPian

If you are not keen on budget.. try Nokia X6. Its a good deal for 15000 approx.
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:58   #6531
Senior - BHPian

The OVI maps software in about 8 MB - the India maps themselves are 100+ MB. This is the case on my E72, and am guessing it will be the same irrespective of phone model.

Has anyone tried getting the original / packaged car stand for their phone separately? My E72 did not come with one, and am curious to get see how good the original stand is before going after market.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 2nd July 2010 at 10:00.
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:11   #6532
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
If you are not keen on budget.. try Nokia X6. Its a good deal for 15000 approx.
And if you wait a little longer there is an X6 - 8GB on the cards, would be cheaper then the above which is 16GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Has anyone tried getting the original / packaged car stand for their phone separately?
I use it in the Bolero and as you might be aware its not really a carpet on wheels. The suction cup works well and holds the 5230 quite well.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:06   #6533
BHPian

Cannot update firmware of my E72

I cannot update firmware of my E72 online. When I try I get the message that Nokia Software Updater has lost connection with the E72. Can someone guide me further.

Can we do this updating offline.
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:36   #6534
BHPian

Got the wave a couple of days back. 17.5K. Already am using Iphone 3G from the time it was launched in India.

While the bada os is nothing earth shattering, at the price, the hardware is a steal.

Gorgeous AMOLED capacitive display coupled with 1GHZ processor - till now it has played all videos without any hiccup - mkv/avi with xvid/divx, mp4 at 720/1080p resolution. Colors are fantastic, black levels / contrast is the best I have seen.
Alone worth the money. Less prone to fingerprint/smudges than the iphone. But need to check the scratch-resistance / toughness over a longer period, where the iphone shines.

The browser is nowhere close to Safari on Iphone, but usable enough.

Touch interface is very good but on customization front, not much can be done except the home screen and folders etc. However, app installation process from samsungsapps.com is as good as apple app store.

Some annoying shortcomings I am noticing (e.g., in contacs, the address is county/pobox, does not take long addresses, cannot add phone type to the existing fields) but these are not deal breakers and updatable using software upgrade.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:36   #6535
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Any body got Nokia X6. I have an eye on it. Will you guys throw some light on it in the performance of 3G,GPRS, speaker, reception etc.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:45   #6536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The OVI maps software in about 8 MB - the India maps themselves are 100+ MB. This is the case on my E72, and am guessing it will be the same irrespective of phone model.

Has anyone tried getting the original / packaged car stand for their phone separately? My E72 did not come with one, and am curious to get see how good the original stand is before going after market.
After market one will cost only 250Rs and are good. I use one. There are 1-2 varieties for Nokia and it depends on the mobile you buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi

Any body got Nokia X6. I have an eye on it. Will you guys throw some light on it in the performance of 3G,GPRS, speaker, reception etc.

Its basically a 5800 with capacitive screen, on board memory and external package. Same OS/harware/firmware.
Old 3rd July 2010, 17:24   #6537
BHPian

Updating my E72

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Look at samsung Wave... the best specc'd phone this side of iPhone 4 at an absolute value for money price tag.
Remember me??

How can I update my E72? I am unable to.
Old 3rd July 2010, 17:48   #6538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi

I am using a X6 16GB for the last two months nearly. As per my feel, Its a great mobile for the price of 15000 Approx. Its having dual speakers with a separate IC for sound control. Even though the themes and all is bit boring, you have the option to download new themes.

The camera is superb with 5 mp carl zeis auto focus and dual led flash. The response of the phone is also good. Its slim too.

I feel it cannot be used rough and i really dont like nokia slide button to lock and unlock screen. Else overall its a good phone.
Old 3rd July 2010, 17:53   #6539
BHPian

e72 update

Dear ph03n!x

I cannot update firmware of my E72 online. When I try I get the message that "Nokia Software Updater has lost connection with the E72".

Can you guide me.

Also, some time back you wrote on this forum about changing the product code of my E72 via NSS. Can you elaborate.

P.S - I too want to change the product code.
Old 3rd July 2010, 19:35   #6540
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
I am using the Wave from the last 10 days. However I don't think I will be able to help you much because the OS and the smartphone capabilities is the last thing I bought it for.

I basically got it because of it's entertainment capabilities . For that it is an amazing phone. The best display, plays and shoots HD videos, has a pretty good camera and a more than decent music player. I downloaded Need for Speed Shift on it yesterday and now it is my gaming/music/video/camera/net surfing/phone all rolled into one. That's the reason I bought it and it has more than lived upto my expectations.

For a general feedback on the OS and the processor - I did not have any issues till date with the phone lagging/freezing even though I have pumped in more than 8 gigs in it (touchwood). Browsed net both on GPRS and Wifi and no issues. Browsing is a breeze what with pinch zooming and all. It supports flash as well. No experience with document viewing/editing. Not too many apps around as well but Samsung is pushing the OS aggresively and the app store is growing everyday. They came out with free NFS Shift a few days ago just to promote the app store.

By the way it now retails for close to 17k (and not 19k). Even I had bought this for 17.5k around 10 days ago. IMO for this price NOTHING comes close to it. Absolutely nothing.
i just asked about the wave with a few of my local shops and they all said that all customers who bought the wave complained of extremely poor battery life.
How is the wave's battery life and any feedback from other wave users?
Im really interested in this phone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks