Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 12:09   #6451
BHPian

I took my Samsung D780 Dual sim set to BTM service center last week. The issue was its not accepting sim cards. I bought in march 2009 and warranty was till march 2010. But after evaluation, they told me that the motherboard needs replacement and its will be 80% of the phone cost and is nearly 7500Rs :(

I am also planning to gift the mobile to some kids, let them play with branded samsung mobiles... The motherboards of Samsung is not good it seems.. guys stop buying those stuff then.. what you say ???
Old 15th June 2010, 12:14   #6452
Senior - BHPian

The BT GPS (Holux M1000B) is quite awesome but you need to carry around another item with u.

ofc, it locks onto satellites in all areas much better than AGPS (i ride my bicycle offroad alot). though AGPS is quite good too!
Old 15th June 2010, 12:25   #6453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Hi buddies,
II have faced issues like the phone getting automatically switched off, when using even a normal application, phone getting switched off when i select FM radio, and this happened with the phone not even completing one year of its time with me.

Just yesterday, one major issue happened that forced me to give it to the service center guys. I switched off the phone yesterday and when I restarted, the phone kept on switching off and on continuously without stopping.
Hi Saleem, I faced this issue of phone switching on and off continuously with my MotoRokr E6, the phone is 3 yrs old now but this issue was there, and then I flashed the phone, which worked for sometime.Again this issue cropped up sometime back and I was unable to use the phone.I wanted to give one last try. I replaced my SIM card, and the problem since then has disappeared.
I was using the same SIM for last 4 years. Withe the new SIM, there is no problem with the phone.If you have been the using the same SIM for a long time, try replacing your SIM and then see if the problem persists.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:33   #6454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
....... The motherboards of Samsung is not good it seems.. guys stop buying those stuff then.. what you say ???
Oops, I just paid for a Samsung Jack i637 online!! What should I do now?? Luckily I havent read any hardware issues with the jack!!
Old 15th June 2010, 12:35   #6455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Anybody heard anything on Samsung Wave? The phone was launched about 2 weeks ago in Europe and has been getting top-class reviews (esp. its screen and interface - the OS is a new one called Bada). Even though it has been made available in Malaysia and Singapore, it is not yet available in India (at least not available in the places that I have looked in). Does anybody here has any info regarding its availability? I want to get my hands on one ASAP.
If you are a software developer and are interested in this phone then register for Samsung Bada Global Developer Day in NCR region whenever it happens there.

Yesterday it was in Bangalore in Taj Residency and all participants walked away with a Samsung Wave Phone.
Google did this in Google I/O last month by giving away 5000 HTC EVO 4G but this is first time something like this is done in India I guess

Last edited by amitk26 : 15th June 2010 at 12:36.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:40   #6456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Oops, I just paid for a Samsung Jack i637 online!! What should I do now?? Luckily I havent read any hardware issues with the jack!!
Don't worry too much if it gives some solice to you on this very thread I have read about one Motorola and personal experience with one Nokia.
Handling , humidity and probablity of error in manufacturing can be spoilsport in any electronics equipment.

Bythe way why did you go for blackjack II it is quite dated now and so is Windows mobile 6.0 I guess and there are better phones now.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:47   #6457
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunkb View Post
Anybody here using an external GPS module for your mobile phones? If yes How reliable are they ? How do they compare to inbuilt GPS recievers?
I have been using one for a couple of years now. They work just fine. They last about 8 hours on a full charge. Locking to satellites is good.

But with Bluetooth ON your phone will be losing its charge fast, especially, if your GPRS is also on. This arrangement works best in a car where you would be able to charge the phone as you use it.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:34   #6458
Senior - BHPian

I bought the Jack (i637) not Blackjack II (i617)!! May be the Jack can be called as Blackjack III .
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Bythe way why did you go for blackjack II it is quite dated now and so is Windows mobile 6.0 I guess and there are better phones now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Oh!! BTW, I was considering to buy the Nokia C3 or Samsung TXT but neither of them had document reader!! I was inclined for the Nokia C3 as it has Wifi!!

I have listed my requirements here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1908271

Then I came across smart phones under $100. Samsung Jack (i607). It was priced at $80. But quickly learnt it had trouble with Antenna. Which I heard is rectified in the Blackjack II (i617) but this one was costing around $140. At that budget I was torn between the BJII and the E63 till I came across the Jack being sold at the same price as the E63 and higher spec hardware than the E71. So decided on it. Later I got lucky and came across a deal on cowboom.com (a best buy owned) which made it an awesome deal which I could not refuse, $117 + 8% tax + $10 for unlock code = $136,
Samsung I637 Jack AT&T GSM Cell Phone - Black - Cowboom Store (now sold out but keep refreshing you might get new stock as its on and off!!)
which normally would have cost me $137 + 8% tax + $10 for unlock code = $158 (not much of a difference but why pay $20 more??? ):
Samsung Jack SHG-I637 AT&T GSM Smartphone - Cowboom Store
Old 17th June 2010, 12:10   #6459
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Nokia N8 in India ?

Has anybody seen a Nokia N8 in India ? Official or Unofficial ?
The price is supposedly around Rs. 22K to 24K.
Old 17th June 2010, 22:23   #6460
BHPian

Bought 6700 slider phone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
I had a similar experience with Samsung. I purchased U600 for 18K when it was launched (about 2-2.5 years back). After 6 months, the mobile started giving problems. Once they updated the software, second time they replaced a component, and once it crossed the warranty period (in 13th month), they told me that the motherboard needs to be replaced and it costs 80% of the mobile cost. It is my daughter's play toy from then on.

No more Samsung mobiles for me. The worst part is the hours of wait at their Bangalore BTM service center. Every visit to their service center used to involve one to two hours of waiting for my turn. The time I spent there is worth more than what I spent on the mobile.
Thankfully the problem in my phone got solved with a software update. But on the second day I was told that software update wasn't working and it might have to go in for a major repair but on the 4th day the service center guy called up and informed that software update worked. So for now it is working fine.

However, it is really a shame that after the warranty period one can't do anything. If the phone becomes useless in such a short period (liked 13 months) is there nothing that can be done? How about consumer forum or anything like that? Service experience is not any better even in Hyderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hi Saleem, I faced this issue of phone switching on and off continuously with my MotoRokr E6, the phone is 3 yrs old now but this issue was there, and then I flashed the phone, which worked for sometime.Again this issue cropped up sometime back and I was unable to use the phone.I wanted to give one last try. I replaced my SIM card, and the problem since then has disappeared.
I was using the same SIM for last 4 years. Withe the new SIM, there is no problem with the phone.If you have been the using the same SIM for a long time, try replacing your SIM and then see if the problem persists.
Well talking about the SIM, I have the same number ever since I started using cell phones. I love the number and just don't wanna part with it. Is there anyway that the Airtel guys can give a new sim with the same number?

p.s. My SIM is 7+ years old.

I bought a new nokia 6700 slider phone. It is a downgrade when compared to Samsung m8800 but frankly speaking I felt I wsn't doing justice with the features available in Samsung (assuming they work fine for a long time). So I bought 6700 based on the features I use most and which I felt are required. Awesome phone, costs just 10k and looks pricey and stylish. Touchwood.
Old 18th June 2010, 00:25   #6461
BHPian

@saleem_k
Airtel does give replacement Sim card. Had got mine replaced once. It had cost me Rs. 99.
Old 20th June 2010, 04:29   #6462
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone with firmware v31.023 in E72 noticed a shorter battery life, or is it just me? I seem to have lost ~ 1/2 a day from the 2.5 days I used to get with the previous firmware! And no, I do not have any different apps / usage pattern, the phone is about 3 months old. I have tried formating and starting afresh, still no change :(
Old 20th June 2010, 07:31   #6463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Has anyone with firmware v31.023 in E72 noticed a shorter battery life, or is it just me? I seem to have lost ~ 1/2 a day from the 2.5 days I used to get with the previous firmware! And no, I do not have any different apps / usage pattern, the phone is about 3 months old. I have tried formating and starting afresh, still no change :(
i have noticed very similar behavior on my N82 after firmware updates.
The stock firmware which came with the phone was the best .The moment i updated it ,the battery life had become lower compared to the already horrible battery life of the N82.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:00   #6464
Senior - BHPian

Planning to buy a touch screen mobile with GPS for my fiance. She uses computers, but is not a techie.

Budget for handset is Rs 7K-9K. Would prefer a Nokia.

I have been eying the 5230 for quite some time, but didn't come across anyone who has used it personally.

What I like:
- Good build quality and battery life
- Cheap
- Familiar Nokia interface
- GPS receiver with free navigation software
- Maps available on Nokia website

What I don't like:
- No video call camera
- No wifi

Another option could be Samsung Monte. It has GPS receiver, but no free navigation software. It doesn't have on-screen virtual QWERTY keypad.

Can someone give first hand opinions on Nokia 5230 and Samsung Monte. Any other suggestions ?

Rohan
Old 21st June 2010, 11:09   #6465
Senior - BHPian

@rohan... Nokia 5230 without a doubt. Its a nice phone and does everything nicely and most importantly is a smartphone.

The Monte on the other hand comes with a better handsfree and has a capacitive touch screen.

Most Viewed