Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 18:48   #6316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I want to type non english languages like Hindi Kannada Tamil etc in phone! Is there any software availabe for same? I thought if i buy a windows phone, i can update the indian language fonts in mobile and type them! any other option w.r.t a non windows mobile.

i heard about this Indisms thing! any one has used it?
No it is not as simple as PC to just upload the fonts , In fact PCs also have IME framework ( Input method editor) to support this and you install a lot of other things when you install a new language support and not just fonts.

Best for you is to look for India specific phones from major manufacturers which support multiple Indian languages , Also host of Indian companies are coming up with Windows mobile phones with Indian language Inputs.

Leaving it for others to suggest brands etc.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:54   #6317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Finally I got my sony ericsson vivaz for 22k with B&W.
Although I got not a single response to my quiery I had posted a week back, now you have someone to talk to if you own a Vivaz or plan to buy one.
Congrats Shaju, loooks really nice. Some basic questions I would ask regarding a phone (not that thats what they are these days).

How easy is it to use SMS? I dont think this one has a separate keypad.
Hows the voice clarity?
Whats the talktime?

Sorry, no hi-tech questions
Old 12th May 2010, 19:10   #6318
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Guys,
which is the cheapest window mobile fone available currently in market?
I think around 8000. Seen the Micromax Xxxx (ebay) and an Acer DX560 (Homeshop18) for that kind of price.

The Acer is unique, it has dula interface. Check the images on the net.
Old 12th May 2010, 19:11   #6319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Best for you is to look for India specific phones from major manufacturers which support multiple Indian languages , Also host of Indian companies are coming up with Windows mobile phones with Indian language Inputs.

Leaving it for others to suggest brands etc.

thanks Amitk26!

Guys,
kindly suggest me a windows mobile phone with indian language support!
Old 12th May 2010, 19:52   #6320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
How easy is it to use SMS? I dont think this one has a separate keypad. Hows the voice clarity? Whats the talktime?
Sammy, its a great phone according to me as a temporary convert from blackberry, and this is my first touch phone too. Touch sensitivity is not as good as iphone (used my co-brother's iphone 3GS for few hours).

SMS or email would be a breeze. It doesnt have a keypad, but you have the choice of mini Qwerty, full Qwerty or Handwriting with the stylus all on the touch technology. If you have chosen full Qwerty, screen will turn to horizontal angle whenever an SMS or email is to be typed. Just use the thumbs of left and right hand and touch the keys. I find it faster than typing on my blackberry. Typing speed, fonts, lanugage etc. all can be customised different ways.

Voice clarity is very good, I dont find much of a difference from my previous phones. Headphone is reported to be bad in many reviews, but I find it good enough for my purpose.

Talktime is very subjective. I charge once in 3 days with heavy youtube usage, gaming (for my son) and the usual SMS, calls, photos, videos etc. It comes with a 8GB micro SD card, it was already full twice in 4 days, because I went crazy shooting pics and videos (of my kids mostly). But the beginning craze for photos and videos will not last much as I use my DSLR whenever there is seriousness to it. So no plan to get a higher GB card as of now (expandable upto 32GB).

Vivaz, Xperia and Satio come from sony ericsson with similar features as I understand.
Old 12th May 2010, 22:00   #6321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Touch sensitivity is not as good as iphone (used my co-brother's iphone 3GS for few hours).
thats because the vivaz has a resistive touch screen whereas the iphone has a capacitive touch screen.

Quote:
Vivaz, Xperia and Satio come from sony ericsson with similar features as I understand.
i have no idea about the satio but the Xperia X10 & vivaz are completely different. the only thing common is both share a 8MP camera.

the X10 has a Android OS whereas the Vivaz has a Symbian OS.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 12th May 2010 at 22:01.
Old 14th May 2010, 06:54   #6322
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have a doubt. You have any idea when the Nokia C6 is launching in India. And I also have a friend coming from Singapore and wanted to know if its cheaper there than here ?
Any alternatives please do suggest.
Also saw the N8 on the Nokia singapore website and it says coming soon.
Old 14th May 2010, 13:12   #6323
BHPian

Hi,

I need a little help from you guys. I am looking for a phone with in a range of 8-12k. The main features i am looking in is GPS, WiFi and a decent camera. I can live without music.

Some of my friends has nokia 5800. But they said that GPS will work only when you have internet connection. So i need to know is there any GPS phone which can work without internet or GPS signal if someone want?

Also if someone experience the micromax W900(mapmyindia apps preinstalled) then please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Sudhakar
Old 14th May 2010, 13:43   #6324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhi_des View Post
Hi,

I need a little help from you guys. I am looking for a phone with in a range of 8-12k. The main features i am looking in is GPS, WiFi and a decent camera. I can live without music.

Some of my friends has nokia 5800. But they said that GPS will work only when you have internet connection. So i need to know is there any GPS phone which can work without internet or GPS signal if someone want?

Also if someone experience the micromax W900(mapmyindia apps preinstalled) then please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Sudhakar
Well without internet all the phones with GPS will work but satellite tracking would be painfully slow. Using network phone gets initial information on the satellite data and works faster ( A-GPS)
This is true for all phones.

About micromax I would also be interested in knowing feedback from someone if there are no obvious flaws it makes a good bargain.
Old 15th May 2010, 00:58   #6325
BHPian

New to this thread here. Here is my recent phone ownage history -
2007 - iPhone 2G
Used it well for over 3 years and then figured it would be a time for an upgrade!
2010 Feb - iPhone 3GS
Bricked it in a month. Did not know the firmware only comes with tethered jailbreak. Had to plug it into the computer everytime after a reboot. One day came to a full halt, was in a recovery mode loop and never jumped out of it. Ultimately upgraded to 3.1.3 and now its locked and non-jailbreakable. I only have my 3.1.3 SHSH blob saved, so cannot downgrade either. Waiting for the iPhone Gods to shed some light onto my situation.

Bought a 2nd hand iPhone 2G from ebay. Used it for a while and gave it to my wife =)

Bought an HTC HD2 (wooooot) - Happy with it to an extent. 4.3in screen, responsive touch screen, integrated facebook and twitter, plays good video...etc etc...1GHz snap dragon processor, ample RAM, 8GB storage. Built in Remote Desktop which is awe-some!
The iPhone - Windows Mobile transistion was a bit rough. Like all windows OS'es - Hung most of the time, Crashes, Error Reports...etc. The phone has 5 buttons at the bottom, and still there is not a way to soft reset in case its hung up! Thats where iPhones rule. They can do everything with 1 Home button and Power!

Waiting for the HTC Android team to release somethin for the HD2 so that I can install that instead of Win Mobile!
Old 15th May 2010, 22:39   #6326
BHPian

Guys whats those recommendable phones >15000 INR

Something under considerations are
1. Nokia 5800
2. Samsung Jet
3. Samsung I5700
4. Nokia E71

Other advices are also welcome
Old 16th May 2010, 00:03   #6327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Guys whats those recommendable phones >15000 INR

Something under considerations are
1. Nokia 5800
2. Samsung Jet
3. Samsung I5700
4. Nokia E71

Personally, I love Nokia Mobiles.

1. Nokia 5800

Pros : Its a full touchscreen mobile
Comes with unlimited ovi music voucher
Changeable back covers
Duel LED flash
You will never get bored using this mobile.

Cons : Sometimes touchscreen may be irritating eg. while surfing net, playing games
Looks same like the Nokia 5230 and 5233
No infrared

OT: its an express music phone

2. Nokia E 71

Pros : Its fast and looks awesome with s. steel plating
Has qwerty keypad.
Lots of stainless steel used

Cons : Small Display
No touchscreen
Os is s60 3rd edition
No exchangable covers
Low quality video recording (when compared to 5800)

OT : its an bussiness phone
Old 16th May 2010, 13:13   #6328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
I suggest you wait for a few weeks and look at Nokia C6 and E5.

Anybody waiting for SE Aspen here?
Old 16th May 2010, 18:15   #6329
Senior - BHPian

Note From Support Team - Please post all android related discussion in This Thread. Thanks
Old 18th May 2010, 11:02   #6330
Distinguished - BHPian

When will the Nokia C3 hit Mumbai stores?

Most Viewed