Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 08:39   #6286
Senior - BHPian

Does the Samsung Galaxy Spica have a another model name/no. it does not show on the Samsung India website. I enquired with a few dealers yest and no one seemed to have it.

Any pointers to where I can find it in Bombay!!

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 6th May 2010 at 08:45.
Old 6th May 2010, 08:56   #6287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Does the Samsung Galaxy Spica have a another model name/no. it does not show on the Samsung India website. I enquired with a few dealers yest and no one seemed to have it.

Any pointers to where I can find it in Bombay!!
AFAIK, Spica model number is I5700.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:09   #6288
Senior - BHPian

I5700 is not on the Samsung website either. they have a 7500 instead!!

Any further pointers. I need to upgrade soon!!

Thanks.

Jay
Old 6th May 2010, 11:17   #6289
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.

Jay
7500 is the Galaxy (not the Spica). It is possible that the shop/dealer you inquired is not aware of this spica (i5700) model and when it would be available. You need to try a different store. Samsung website is not probably updated. AFAIK it is called Galaxy Spica and the model number is I5700.

Last month when I tried to buy this spica in hyderabad none of the dealers were aware or knew when it would become available. Few others in team-bhp (in other cities) had however bought even in the months of (Feb/March).

EDIT:
I see that you want to buy this in Mumbai. FrankMetha has been using this for the last couple of months, I dont know where he bought it from, but he also stays in Mumbai. You can may be PM him.

Last edited by drvhplyevraftr : 6th May 2010 at 11:21.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:18   #6290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.

Jay
I5700 is Galaxy Spica it is based on 800Mhz Samsung processor, i7500 is Galaxy which is based on MSM7200A processor.

Android 2.1 Imgae for spica is out for EU countries, Unofficial Android 2.1 India build is available for Spica on net ( last update was 1st April) but official firmware image for India is still not out and that may be case of delay. One of my friend updated to 2.1 the touch response has improved and look and feel is better.
I will update the image to 1st April one mostly today or on weekend and post my experience here.

Indian Image has Hindi Input and Hindi rendering , Hindi rendering in i5700 with Android 1.6 was actually crap , I do not know if that is being improved or not.

Last edited by amitk26 : 6th May 2010 at 11:26.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:19   #6291
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Any one is using "Alcatel NRG Sports" ? its supposed to have battery back of 12 hours talk time and standby time of 1 month. It has bluetooth, FM, memory card support all for Rs 2600.

Last edited by shamanth : 6th May 2010 at 11:21.
Old 6th May 2010, 12:19   #6292
Senior - BHPian

Looks like nobody uses a Sony Ericsson Vivaz, no reponse to my question posted 3 days back. Alrite, what about Samsung Omnia HD ? Any users or comments ?
Old 6th May 2010, 14:22   #6293
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Reading the reviews on the net, i beleive the Samsung i5700 comes with 1500 mAH battery. How is the battery life with such a huge battery ? How is the call quality in terms of Call drops and incoming voice quality?
Old 6th May 2010, 14:47   #6294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Reading the reviews on the net, i beleive the Samsung i5700 comes with 1500 mAH battery. How is the battery life with such a huge battery ? How is the call quality in terms of Call drops and incoming voice quality?
Call quality is good also Call drops etc depends more on network but often handsets get blamed for that :-) any way 1500mAh is huge for a feature phone and not for Android Phone , Android lets applications run in background and biggest weekness is that there is no intuitive way for user to find what is running so battery is drained. You need to install a free task killer application and kill unused apps periodically.

But as I said before this is one of the best Android phones , So expect to get better battery then others but still less then what traditional phones from Nokia and Samsung provide you.
Old 6th May 2010, 14:51   #6295
Team-BHP Support

As for call drops the phones are to blame for some extent. Often call drops are due to weak network. In the older bulkier phones with retractable antenna, you could make a call with extremely low signal. In modern phones with in build antenna, its not that good.
However, thats a special case. In most cases call drops are due to network congestion.
For example, in Bangalore in some areas your phone will be showing full signal, but call would keep dropping due to network issues.
In Tangste Ladakh, we had full signal due to tower being hundred meters away, but call would not last above 10 seconds due to network issues.
Old 6th May 2010, 15:10   #6296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As for call drops the phones are to blame for some extent. Often call drops are due to weak network. In the older bulkier phones with retractable antenna, you could make a call with extremely low signal. In modern phones with in build antenna, its not that good.
However, thats a special case. In most cases call drops are due to network congestion.
For example, in Bangalore in some areas your phone will be showing full signal, but call would keep dropping due to network issues.
In Tangste Ladakh, we had full signal due to tower being hundred meters away, but call would not last above 10 seconds due to network issues.
Tanveer there are several issues , In earlier days that is in 2000 - 2001 when UMTS and dual mode modems( GSM , GPRS and UMTS) were new there were many scenarios of call drops due to handsets not implementing the measurements properly but as of 2010 these things are pretty much in place so I can safely say that in a production Samsung phone you will not see call drop entirely due to handset.

About your experience on 100 meters away from tower well in such cases even handset may be culprit. Basic principle of operation is closed loop power control, So handset constantly measure the power level at various channels and sends measurement reports ,Network sets these measurements in System Information which it broadcast on broadcast channel. Network uses them to do handovers but handset use these measurements to lower power when signal is strong and increase when it is in weak signal area. So if Signal is too strong sometimes an incorrect implementation can set the transmit power too low and cause call drop :-)

So diagnosis needs a lot of logs and all reputed companies spend a lot of engineering time and money for field testing. Whereas the cheap phones rely on increasing power lavel always and rarely conduct radiation tests and that is one more reason to keep away from cheap Chinese phones which give no call drops at all although no one has conclusively proven that excessive radiation can be injurious to health but who knows after 10 years some research paper may come out
Old 9th May 2010, 16:12   #6297
NIP
Senior - BHPian

mrohit17....please let us know if the upgrade went through. Would like to do the same at my phone dealer also. He has also promised to upgrade once its available.
Old 9th May 2010, 17:00   #6298
BHPian

suggest a good, low priced, dual-sim QWERTY phone with GPRS

Looking a low priced "dual sim" GSM QWERTY phone with GPRS. Any experiences?

How are these olive, Max, karbonn etc phones? They all seem to be in the range of 2k - 4k offering dual sim, qwerty functionality.

Any such phone offering WIFI too? How about the chinese phones which can be found on Ebay?

Anyone using them? let me know your opinion? Thanks
Old 9th May 2010, 22:35   #6299
Senior - BHPian

I just got my hands on a Samsung Galaxy Spica(5700).
Cost = 12500/- with bill and warranty.
Its with firmware upgrade 2.1

Im quite happy since this is my first high end fone having used and reused my favourite Nokia 6300 forever. Also being my first touchscreen its quite an upgrade for me.
Its going to take a while to get used to it.

Thanks everyone for posting reviews of this fone and the advice. After 3 days of searching, this fone is not easily available. Samsung is pushing the Corby n Monte left right n center. This seems to be the most feature rich and competent touch screen for the price.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 10th May 2010, 00:38   #6300
BHPian

Guys any reviews about Samsung i7500 ??

And whats better Samsung Jet or Samsung i7500 ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks