Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:55   #6271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
1. It is on a site purportedly devoted to stocks and sheres.

2. It is about a mobile phone.

3. The mobile phone manufacturer is not quoted or listed in India.
Well I can see a reason people who trade in shares are value conscious and like to buy a VFM product so target customers are there on sites. Websites need revenue to survive so some paid news are inserted .

Haven't you seen Rediff.com syndicating with Car portals to promote certain brands under the grab of news.
Old 4th May 2010, 05:34   #6272
BHPian

N86 8MP Firmware Update Query

Hello Friends,
As the title suggests, I own a Nokia N86 8MP (White) and am looking for some assistance on Firmware upgrades on it.

When I got this phone it came with v11.043 and I still have the same. Nokia since then has released v21.xx and now v.30.009.

I have tried Over-The-Air (OTA) method and the PC Software Updater method but fails every single time. In the OTA method, I get the firmware as available when it scans but then on trying to apply the upgrade fails with 'Error occurred, Restart Update'. The PC method says that my phone has the latest software (which is not True). I have used the most latest Software Updater on various Windows systems (XP, Vista, 7 x64)

Can someone tell me why is this not working or what am I missing please? Has anyone tried the upgrade on the N86 8MP and succeeded?

I have emailed Nokia India and awaiting response from them too.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:12   #6273
Distinguished - BHPian

When is the C3 going to be able in Mumbai?
Old 4th May 2010, 12:45   #6274
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has used the Sony Ericsson Vivaz ?
Please give some feedback, also the price you paid for it.
I am getting a quote of 22k from an outlet. Anyone has seen 'galaxy blue' in any outlets ?
Old 4th May 2010, 12:47   #6275
Senior - BHPian

Guys any idea when the Nokia C6 is going to come to the market ? Everytime I call the store they tell me its going to be launched soon. How does the phone differ from the N97 mini ?
Old 4th May 2010, 13:17   #6276
Senior - BHPian

Dealers here said C3, C6 & X2 will be available from June onwards.
Old 5th May 2010, 20:46   #6277
Senior - BHPian

@Frank and NIP

Thanks to you, I bought the Samsung Galaxy Spica today. Paid 12.5k. I had been making rounds of the shops in Aundh for the past few days. Only Telephone Shoppee had one piece with them which was opened. Therefore I wanted a new piece. Today I got it from the Samsung priority dealer in Aundh. They just had got a few pieces yesterday.

And guess what the biggest surprise was. The one I picked up came with the 2.1 firmware update1 and bluetooth etc. was enabled. The build number was Eclair DDJC5. I guess I was lucky in waiting for a few days. The person at the shop told me that the UI has changed. I am slowly trying to get accustomed to the new phone and its capabilities.

-Biju
Old 5th May 2010, 21:05   #6278
Senior - BHPian

I am a super happy Android user. And 2.1 has been installed on my phone as well! JUST cant go to any other OS now!
Old 5th May 2010, 21:14   #6279
BANNED

Thanks to guys who responded to my query on shutter lag. I am a bit relieved to know that I am not the only one unhappy with shutter lag.

Now, I have a problem getting gprs to work on the phone. (Nokia 5130 XP).

I am yet to contact a human @ Idea customer care, but the problem is, I need to get the facts before I contact them.

1. I have 3 phones in my name - other 2 being used by biwi and sister. Both of them can access gprs, the phones being Nokia 2730 and 3100classic.

2. On my phone, I am getting "subscribe to packet data first" message whenever I start the browser.

3. Calling their (Idea) automated customer care and looking up gprs subscription option says that the default plan is a 2 paisa per kb plan, "is available by default on your connection".

4. So, assuming a misconfiguration on the gprs settings, I send the SMS for obtaining gprs setting to the number provided by Idea automated Customer Care. The reply is "your phone is not provisionable".

What may be the problem?
Old 5th May 2010, 21:14   #6280
BHPian

Guys, I'm looking to buy a music phone for my sister. Budget is around 5-6k. Am more inclined towards Nokia, unless there is a brilliant phone from another manufacturer. All of us at home have a Nokia and we have a common charger in the hall which works great.

Options:
Nokia 5233 (6.5k) Nokia India - Nokia 5233 - Products
Nokia 5130 (5k) Nokia 5130 XpressMusic - Full phone specifications

The most important is the music player's capability. Others are good to have but not required.

Are there other options that I have missed out? Please help me decide.
Old 5th May 2010, 21:57   #6281
BANNED

@proxima - Nokia 5130XP is now available with a 1 gig microSD card @ around 4.8 K. I got a few weeks back, when the price was ~5.2K.

It ok - very easy to navigate; but the keys are a bit vague. Even the 3100 classic has very good keys. Awk, BILlu's Videocon dual sim sub 2.5K INR phone too has fantastic keys.

Here, I always end up hitting the cancel when I intend to press 3, and # when I want 9. And the keys are very sticky / stiff noisy. The keys on the side, though big, are very sticky; other phones I have used have had smaller, but more accurate side keys.

Issues with the keys are probably the only issues I have with that phone (apart from the shutter lag on the camera and the GPRS issue described in the previous post here).

Music player opens with a single key; volumes are controlled by the side keys only, and if you lock the key pad, none of the keys work, and the button on the headphone takes you to the next song in the playlist.

You need the headphone to listen to the radio though.

Edit:- the shop showed me a Samsung phone somewhere between 2 and 3 K. It had no camera, but had a microSD card and had 2 built in speakers. I did not consider it, because the accessing other phone features, like address book was not supported on Linux, the only OS I use.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 5th May 2010 at 21:59.
Old 5th May 2010, 22:25   #6282
Senior - BHPian

@Frank

Does the phone have Google Maps preinstalled? When I tried to turn on the GPS thing, I got the message that I need to have a data connection. There is not much information in the user manual about GPS.

(asking self - is this a question for the GPS thread?)
Old 5th May 2010, 22:26   #6283
Senior - BHPian

It DOES have Google Maps mate. You need to have a data connection since it downloads the maps on the go mate!
Old 5th May 2010, 23:02   #6284
NIP
Senior - BHPian

@pjbiju - congrats and your wait has definitely paid off ! do post your experiences on the phone.

@frank - how did you get the android 2.1 on the phone ? any pointers ?

Last edited by NIP : 5th May 2010 at 23:04.
Old 6th May 2010, 00:21   #6285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Thanks to guys who responded to my query on shutter lag. I am a bit relieved to know that I am not the only one unhappy with shutter lag.

Now, I have a problem getting gprs to work on the phone. (Nokia 5130 XP).

What may be the problem?
There are two types of GPRS: Basic (WAP) and Full. Basic service usually comes with zero rental and pay as you go model. Full service usually has a monthly rental and free data usage upto a limit, with pay as you go above this limit.

Only WAP browsing and app/ringtone downloads work with basic GPRS. Anything more serious, such as email browsing or full HTML browsing will require a full service.

I am guessing that your plan automatically has the basic GPRS service active. This means you should be able to view WAP sites on your phone.

One simple step you could do to investigate the problem is swap the sim card of your phone with one of the other users, either your wife or sister. Using their sim card in your phone, if you are able to browse all the websites, and your sim card in their phone gives you similar problems, then it's something to do with your account/service activation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks