Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:25   #5791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
The cold start took 2-3 min to get lock on the satellites. It is now showing me the correct position. I will now use the tool which will calculate my speed and time taken to reach home. I hope it wont take 3 min every time I start the maps.
And while you are at it, just see how accurate your Palio's speedo and odo is. Speaking of which my Palio under reads .5 kms for every 10 kms travelled.
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:56   #5792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
Can anybody here throw some light on the differences between the BB 9000 and BB 9700 please?
On a continuing note, can anybody suggest the fair price for a

New Blackberry Bold 9000. (previous gen)

I am getting quotes between 17000 to 28000 for this model.
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:27   #5793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And while you are at it, just see how accurate your Palio's speedo and odo is. Speaking of which my Palio under reads .5 kms for every 10 kms travelled.
Hey today while coming to office on my bike I used the trip distance application in the phone, it seems to be pretty accurate. The GPS says I traveled 8.1km while the bike odo says 8.2km. I will do the car reading tomorrow. Also I found one shortcoming of this application. It does not log total stop time and does not allow me to save the information.

Anybody having idea about a free software which can log speed, distance, stop time etc info?
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:12   #5794
Senior - BHPian

Two applications:

1. Nokia sports tracker.
2. Garmin Mobile XT
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:39   #5795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
... How is the Android OS? Is it sluggish or faster as compared to WinMo? ...
Android OS is faster than WiMo, if you compare like to like. There are WiMo phones which are faster, but that is because the processor is faster. Behavior is slightly different the way information is organized and the way the apps work. It excels in anything to do with Internet. For traditional functions, it works more or less the same way as WiMo, Series 60, Linux and BB phones.

Whatever Android (or available application) does, it does well - no rough edges. Browsing is faster (from the time that you think of getting a page to the time it shows you a page; all action steps inclusive), searching is faster (obviously Google Search is on tap), etc. No sluggishness anywhere.

Where it has not been tested is in Navigation (no readymade apps) and Android Market (OTA app download and installation; not seamlessly integrated across all devices).
Old 5th February 2010, 03:31   #5796
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys any review on the Samsung B7610 OmniaPRO ?? In terms of Call quality , Signal holding and battery life? And is getting a Nokia 5800 worth it now since its about an year or more old in the market?

What other options do i have in touchscreen phones around 20K ?
Old 5th February 2010, 10:18   #5797
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone got the killer looking LG's new Chocolate BL40 ?
I still doubt the battery back up of LG mobiles.
Old 5th February 2010, 10:52   #5798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Guys any review on the Samsung B7610 OmniaPRO ?? In terms of Call quality , Signal holding and battery life? And is getting a Nokia 5800 worth it now since its about an year or more old in the market?

I recently bought Nokia 5800XM for 14400/- in Pune with B&W. Its an excellent phone. The touch screen is pretty sensitive and the screen size is big. My requirements were: touch, gps - big screen, wifi, good call quality, good battery life. 5800 fits the bill. It comes with 8gb car and has nice music player with good headphones. The only thing I missed is WinMo. But then Symbian OS has good acceptance and many free apps available.
Old 5th February 2010, 12:38   #5799
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am considering getting a Google Nexus one from US and using it here in Pune. I need inputs from you guys on this decision. My questions for you guys are:
- What kind of problems I may face by using in india?
- Will I receive software/firmware updates?
- Will the 3G work here?

I need to make the decision by tomorrow so please help me out.

Thanks
Old 5th February 2010, 14:32   #5800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post

I wouldnt recommend Samsung smartphones simply because the software is poorly optimized. And then is the reliability in which no one can beat a Nokia.
I am also using a 5800 and its a very very nice given the latest firmware release which has enabled kinetic scrolling. A nice big screen, by far the most sensitive GPS chip I have seen (and I have used Nokia N82, Samsung Omnia and Omnia HD), good music playback quality and offcourse the Nokia reliability.
Old 5th February 2010, 16:50   #5801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Does anybody use HTC Tattoo here? How is the Android OS? Is it sluggish or faster as compared to WinMo?
Would appreciate any advice and whether it's a good phone @15k.
The non-standard (for android) resolution is a big dealbreaker:

HTC Tattoo Review - page4 (Phone Arena Reviews)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Hi Guys,
I am considering getting a Google Nexus one from US and using it here in Pune. I need inputs from you guys on this decision. My questions for you guys are:
- What kind of problems I may face by using in india?
- Will I receive software/firmware updates?
- Will the 3G work here?

I need to make the decision by tomorrow so please help me out.

Thanks
All the phones are unlocked, so no locking to specific mobile service provider problem.

The upgrades are usually over the air and the multitouch feature is now being rolled out by each carrier in the US, one by one. In India, it may be over the web.

3g will work if you have BSNL 3g in Pune.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:14   #5802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
All the phones are unlocked, so no locking to specific mobile service provider problem.

The upgrades are usually over the air and the multitouch feature is now being rolled out by each carrier in the US, one by one. In India, it may be over the web.

3g will work if you have BSNL 3g in Pune.
Thanks for your response. The Nexus One supports three 3G/UMTS Bands - 1/4/8 (2100/AWS/900).

I don't know if BSNL 3G supports the same. Also can you or anyone confirm that the future 3G providers will support these bands?
Old 5th February 2010, 18:25   #5803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Thanks for your response. The Nexus One supports three 3G/UMTS Bands - 1/4/8 (2100/AWS/900).

I don't know if BSNL 3G supports the same. Also can you or anyone confirm that the future 3G providers will support these bands?

The nexus one WILL work in India.

The Nexus One’s antenna supports four GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900) and three 3G bands – 1, 4, and 8 which are 2100/AWS/900 respectively.

BSNL and MTNL have been allocated spectrum and currently running the 3G service in the range of 2100MHz-2110MHz downlink. The 3G spectrum auctions for the private telecom service providers in India will finally be conducted in Feb’10. Let me quote from the India 3G auction guidelines doc- “The bidders can bid for one block of 2 * 5MHz each for 3G telecom services in the 2.1 GHz band (2110MHz-2170MHz for downlink and 1920MHz-1980MHz for uplink) in a telecom service area”. Basically the overall 3G spectrum range available in India is between 2100MHz-2170MHz downlink.The 2100 MHz or 2.1GHz band IS supported by the Nexus One and so will work on the BSNL/MTNL network as well as on the networks of the private telecom companies who win the auctioned slots in the 3G spectrum.

Of course, for now, the performance of BSNL/MTNL 3G service is another matter altogether.

Google Nexus One in India – Unofficially Available for 33K
Old 5th February 2010, 18:49   #5804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
..I am also using a 5800...
How does the battery last? I've seen a 5230. The large screen looked good and also the qwerty on-screen keyboard wasn't bad to use at all. Liked it, Just the battery back up make me wonder. My usage isn't much, the E71 currently delivers about 7-10 days on a charge.

Last edited by gendarmee : 5th February 2010 at 18:51.
Old 5th February 2010, 19:03   #5805
Senior - BHPian

@gendarmee - I get around 2-3 days of time with decent usage which includes around 30 mins of talking, 1.5 hrs of music, 15 mins Wifi, 30 mins GPS everyday. The battery life has also improved with the latest upgrade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks