Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2010, 16:50   #5716
Senior - BHPian

Is there a child proof phone?

My phone a samsung foldable type, was destroyed by kids. ;-P It withstood close to 20 months of abuse by two kids, who in turn used as teethers, foot balls, F! racer car, etc.

I do not want much - just a phone which will send and receive calls and SMSes. Bluetooth is a plus. Camera is not exactly required, but I know that all bluetooth phones will have camera too.

I have shortlisted Nokia 5130 ExpressMusic; But Not sure about its sturdiness, and I really do not want most of the features. And it is a tad too expensive for my security - I travel at odd hours a lot on public transport, and am afraid to carry out "attention seeking" belongings..

What would be the price of Nokia 8730 (or was it 8720?) mentioned a few pages back? (the phone launched around Mid 2009?). It is not listed on ebay.in.

I am not keen on other brands - it may turn out to be a PITA to sync with my PC - I use Linux. Nevertheless, since "build quality" is very important, your inputs are welcome.

TIA.
Old 24th January 2010, 17:18   #5717
BHPian

Hey.Im not able to connect my Samsung Star to my comp.Please help!
Old 24th January 2010, 23:08   #5718
BHPian

@BaCkSeAtDrIVeR,

I would advise check out Samsung marine, virtually undestructible and tested by army men. my freinds possess them and they are very happy. one of their toddlers even washed it under tap water and it was working perfectly... and costs not much around 4.5k

FYI... Blackberry 9700 Officially unlocked redington imported is now available in India... MRP 33900/- and easily sold at 29,500-31,000 depends on the place you buy from.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th January 2010 at 01:36. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to a post within 20minutes of posting. Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 11:44   #5719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Nokia N86 meets your requirements
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Sony Ericsson. C905 has 8 MP camera with Xenon flash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Nokia will never use a mini-USB port - they use a micro-USB port, so bye-bye to charging via USB port.
Perhaps you should wait for the BB 9700.
* Otherwise, a Sony-Ericsson phone with number pad would be be the best for if they charge through USB. Middling camera performance with LED flash, since they put xenon flash only in the high-end ones
The camera phone (N86/C905/ ...) will supplement my proposed BB 9700. Once I am saddled with the BB deivce and it's 35 keys I intend to use a simpler phone (with 12 keys) for voice and SMS and let BB do email etc..

Since I was going to have 2 phones with me I figured if one of them is the best damn camera phone (but with a 'normal' numeric 12 key keyboard) it would be a goood thing to have. I often run out of the house without my P&S.

Since I often forget to charge my phone (I know I will never remember to charge 2 phones) I figured to add a USB charger to all the cars I sit in (mine, wife's, mom's etc..). To keep things simple I want to get a camera whole that will use the same USB as the BB9700.

Is not the 9700 a micro USB port? The 9700 does not have the same port as the 9000. it's got the same poert as the Curve? right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Is there a child proof phone?
Simple answer. No. Children can take apart almost anything.
Old 25th January 2010, 12:25   #5720
BANNED

@navin : C905 is your best bet . I have it for nearly a year now .It is much cheaper now compared to the 32 K i spent .
Features which are in this set,
1.) Fast camera start up.
2.) 8.1MP
3.) The xenon flash is the brightest & biggest of all phones available in India including the new 12.1 MP from Sony .
4.) Yes this charges with the USB cable annd very fast too.
5.) This phone has some serious style .
6.) The battery is good and lasts 3 days easily .
7.) Open the slider and you feel it is solidly built.
8.) My C905 has taken hits , once fell out of the car while driving , fell down the stairs (landed in dust) ,took a bath in rain but no issues .
9.) Fast shorcuts for scene , exposure , shoot modes , smile shutter , face recognition,Macro .
10.) One more thing i would like to mention is the clarity this phone gives at speeds of around 70-80 kmph .Over this it starts getting blurry.

Few things which you may not like :
1.) Using the Xenon Flash too much will see your battery going much faster than you can imagine.
2.) There is a slight play in the slider but not too much,
3.) There is still not much C905 accessories in market .(Atleast not in Delhi including our famous Gaffar Market)

Regards
Edit: One more thing i forgot to mention at th ersilutin is selectable to 8 , 5, 3, VGA .
The size at 8MP is around 2.5Mb per picture so you definitely may want to upgrade the memory to say 8 Gb from the 2 Gb it comes with.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 25th January 2010 at 12:33.
Old 25th January 2010, 14:02   #5721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... Since I often forget to charge my phone (I know I will never remember to charge 2 phones) I figured to add a USB charger to all the cars I sit in (mine, wife's, mom's etc..). To keep things simple I want to get a camera whole that will use the same USB as the BB9700.

Is not the 9700 a micro USB port? The 9700 does not have the same port as the 9000. it's got the same poert as the Curve? right? ...
So do I! I have a 5V charger in the car with different cables for BB (I have an 8707g), Nokia (N82) and even an iPod/iPhone.

And yes, BB 9700 seems to have a micro-USB port apart from external contacts for a dock charger. BB website gives no clue about these mundane things, nor do most reviews. Crackberry site review mentions micro-USB. I think RIM put micro-USB instead of mini-USB in this one to reduce the body size (significantly smaller than the old Bold 9000). Waiting to get my hands on one now.

In cameras, I think Panasonic uses micro-USB for the PC connection - my FZ5 P&S has that. Nikon uses mini-USB.
Old 25th January 2010, 14:44   #5722
BHPian

^^ i am so confused between micro and mini usb now - i have the bold 9000 and I use the same cable for all my portable hard disks, as well as PS3 controllers and logitech harmony 1000 remote.
maybe this pic can clear things up
File:USB types 2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 25th January 2010, 15:32   #5723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Since I often forget to charge my phone (I know I will never remember to charge 2 phones) I figured to add a USB charger to all the cars I sit in (mine, wife's, mom's etc..). To keep things simple I want to get a camera whole that will use the same USB as the BB9700.
You could buy a multi-brand mobile charger which can connect to the cigar lighter adaptor. This can be used to charge almost all popular brands of phones.

Sony Ericsson phones charge from USB, but they connect to the USB through a proprietary cable which has USB interface on one side and Sony Ericsson's Fast Port connector on the other side. They don't have a standard mini/micro USB interface. I hope you get the idea.

Rohan
Old 25th January 2010, 15:49   #5724
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am facing a small issue with my 5800 XM. The phone skips in between the song when playing large mp3 files or high bit rate mp3's. I listen to a lot of trance music which sometimes have tracks well over 10 minutes and my 5800 makes it into a 5 minute one by skipping throughout the track. Anyone facing the same issue? Its on latest V40 firmware.
Old 25th January 2010, 16:50   #5725
Senior - BHPian

Guys as i earlier mentioned i wanted to buy a phone with a very good camera and since i dont change my phone very often would like the buy the best phone in the market as of now.
Since i heard the satio had some software problems i have been thinking about it and decided to go against it.
I would like to know what are the other 12 mp phones which are available in the market and which are most likely to be released soon ?
Does a optical zoom have an advantage over a digital zoom ?
Old 25th January 2010, 16:55   #5726
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
@navin : C905 is your best bet .
4.) Yes this charges with the USB cable annd very fast too.
3.) There is still not much C905 accessories in market .(Atleast not in Delhi including our famous Gaffar Market).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Sony Ericsson phones charge from USB, but they connect to the USB through a proprietary cable which has USB interface on one side and Sony Ericsson's Fast Port connector on the other side.
Thrust/Rohan,

Thanks a lot.
a. Does the C905 have a micro-USB port or a Fast Port?
b. What acessories does one need? My G900 came with everything I needed and somethings (that bluetooth thingy that makes you look like Mr. Spock) I could not use - I gave "Mr.Spock" away.

c. Sony's products Aino, Satio, etc.. have bombed. Will Sony be around in this space?
Sony Ericsson loses another 167M euro, puts all hopes on X10 - GSMArena.com news

d. Is the Sony C905 a good camera phone?
Grand 8 megapixel shootout: The latest and greatest - GSMArena.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am facing a small issue with my 5800 XM. The phone skips in between the song when playing large mp3 files or high bit rate mp3's.
This looks like a file size issue. Maybe firmware has fixed it, maybe not. Consult Nokia about the latest version of firmware available.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:04   #5727
Senior - BHPian

@navin... Its on the latest firmware. I dunno why this is happening.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:38   #5728
BHPian

Guys, need suggestion on a gift for an uncle.

Should be:
- a Nokia
- should look very good (polished, grown up, refined etc etc not youthful, brash etc etc)
- should have a good camera
- should not be too bulky (ruling out e71/75)
- should be SIMPLE, will be used by an elderly, accomplished gentleman who is new to mobile phones (hence the Nokia preference)
- good battery life, call quality etc etc

Ideally would have liked a Sirocco but the budget is abut 10-15k so the only one I found to meet the specifications is the Nokia 6700. Stainless steel body, elegant looks and a good 5 MP AF camera.
Nokia 6700 classic pictures, official photos

Any other options?
Old 25th January 2010, 18:09   #5729
Senior - BHPian

Why not the E71 or the recently launched Nokia E72?
Old 25th January 2010, 18:12   #5730
BANNED

@navin : Well no Micro USB for sure .If you want to charge with USB you will need a Laptop , desktop .Fastport is there.You would need to buy a bluetooth headset as extra.
In the box items include ,
a.) A average pair of incanal ear phones .(NO A2DP ear phones )
b.) A charger
c.) 2GB M2 Mem card
d.) A ribbon kind of thing like you get in cyber shot camera range.
e.) A data cable to connect with PC
f.) A USB adapter for the M2 mem card .(Very fast )

Also the memory card is hot swap type.And regarding comaprison with LG & Samsung .
I used LG and Samsung for around a day each but fell in love with the feel of Sony .
Also the camera start up time i found to be better in Sony .The photos i shot with regards to color were better with Sony(much more natural). I never wanted a touchscreen too messy.Also
IN the 1 year i have used the C905 it has never crashed .Samsung has LED flash .LG Xenon is way too small .The battery was an issue with LG .The xenon ate it up way faster than in Sony.
Also the time taken to charge the Capacitors in LG for Xenon flash was much more compared to Sony.The department i found Sony lacking was in terms of video .I say video 7/10 for sony .LG was better .

Regards

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 25th January 2010 at 18:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks