Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 10:25   #5671
BHPian

I'm thinking of buying myself a new touch phone. In and around 12K. Touch, gps and good music playback is what is preferred. Anything suggested? I'm inclined towards the Corby plus/ Corby Pro...

Anything else? Please advice. And yeah, I don't like Nokia nor Chinese phones.
Old 4th January 2010, 10:39   #5672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I'm thinking of buying myself a new touch phone. In and around 12K. Touch, gps and good music playback is what is preferred. Anything suggested? I'm inclined towards the Corby plus/ Corby Pro...

Anything else? Please advice. And yeah, I don't like Nokia nor Chinese phones.
For 1K more, you can get a 5800.
Old 4th January 2010, 10:46   #5673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
For 1K more, you can get a 5800.
I've heard it has battery problems. Its younger sibling, the 5230 is catching my attention. Any reviews on the same?
Old 4th January 2010, 16:24   #5674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
After much deliberation I got myself a HTC HD2. Haven't used any Windows Mobile or a touch screen before and hence can't comment on the performance. But overall the phone is quite fast. Though user interface is good, it falls short of iPhone in tilt operations. Otherwise its good.

I am looking for a case (like ToughGuard Shell) and a screen protector. Any place in Bangalore for these?
midway through Brigade road, left side after the Sony showroom there is a new (well, opened shortly) shop selling cellphones - don't remember the name. you might want to try there. i got the HTC belt case (not local) for my Diamond there.

btw, have you heard the phrase "once you're black, there's not turning back". it's kinda similar with windows mobiles. once you get addicted, you'll find it difficult going back to any other OS.

i was a die-hard Sonyericsson fan before i got my first WM6 - the HTC Touch.
Old 4th January 2010, 18:18   #5675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Frankie how do these Nokia devices (I have seen a few that look like Black-berries) compare to the real McCoy (Black-Berry)?
If you ask me, my Nokia E72 functions EXACTLY like a Blackberry (and much much more) with a Push Email Software called Seven. Only things not present in the Nokia are the slightly better screen and BB Messenger, which, frankly, I do not use.

Quote:
I mean for email - ease of access, sorting of emails in folders, etc.. I figure as long as I am going to 'forced' to live with a device that has 35 keys (instead of 12) I can consdier the E72 v/s the Bold 9700. Right? Vodaphone has still not given me the 9700 - promised end of Jan - so I have time to change my mind.
[/quote]
Ease of access is the same in both, IMHO. Maybe slightly better in a Nokia because of the familiar menu structures. I would buy the Nokia E72 anyday. In fact, I had a budget of up to 30 k and I still settled for the E72, since it makes most economical sense, as well as aids in ease of use. I also save on the fact that I do not have to subscribe to the goddamnit expensive BB plans on all networks. I use the simple Vodafone Mobile Connect which i can (and I do) tether to my laptop via bluetooth. AAAAh, convergence. And ease of use!
Old 5th January 2010, 10:33   #5676
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
If you ask me, my Nokia E72 functions EXACTLY like a Blackberry

I use the simple Vodafone Mobile Connect which i can (and I do) tether to my laptop via bluetooth. AAAAh, convergence. And ease of use!
First statement I understood; the later one went straight over my head. You gotta explain this computer stuff to me like you would to your grand-dad.

I asked Vodaphone and they were recomending the Black-Berry (I always thought Pink-Banana would have been a more apt name) but I got the impression they were doing so becuase they earn more from BB service than Mobile Connect. Is Vodaphne's Mobile Connect in any way less efficient than their Black-Berry service? Will I get mails just as fast? etc..

I seriously get the feeling that Vodaphone is pushing BB a bit too hard.
Old 5th January 2010, 22:00   #5677
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is Vodaphne's Mobile Connect in any way less efficient than their Black-Berry service? Will I get mails just as fast? etc..

I seriously get the feeling that Vodaphone is pushing BB a bit too hard.
Navin, you can connect your laptop to your cellphone via bluetooth. The cellphone will work like a modem and you can browse on your laptop.

The Vodafone mobile connect is as fast and the mail client is equally efficient.

Vodafone Blackberry has a Rs.299 service only for mail and no other browsing.

Vodafone mobile connect is available with diff packages.
Old 6th January 2010, 00:08   #5678
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Navin, you can connect your laptop to your cellphone via bluetooth. The cellphone will work like a modem and you can browse on your laptop.

The Vodafone mobile connect is as fast and the mail client is equally efficient.

Vodafone Blackberry has a Rs.299 service only for mail and no other browsing.

Vodafone mobile connect is available with diff packages.
Viddy

1. I see no need to use my cellphone as a modem and even if I did would that not be a dial up connection? I see no use to use my laptop where there is no high speed WiFi or Wired Lan connection.

2. I see no need to use a 3" screen to browse the internet although I must admit a few friends of mine use their Apples (iPhones) to do this and it looks impressive unfortunately I can get the same information faster by making a phone call ! LOL.

3. For 299 how much mail can I get from Vodaphone using Mobile Connect? 1GB? 2GB? more? 1-2GB is more than enough for my need. I think I will ask Vodaphone that anyway. They keep telling me to just get a Black-berry which I am tempted to do since everyone in the office is on that system and I will get help if I get stuck.
Old 6th January 2010, 00:26   #5679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Viddy

1. I see no need to use my cellphone as a modem and even if I did would that not be a dial up connection? I see no use to use my laptop where there is no high speed WiFi or Wired Lan connection.
It will be the same speed as your EDGE/GPRS from your phone i.e. not dial up but will use the phone data plan. Speeds are not that bad in metros where it uses edge.

Quote:
3. For 299 how much mail can I get from Vodaphone using Mobile Connect? 1GB? 2GB? more? 1-2GB is more than enough for my need. I think I will ask Vodaphone that anyway. They keep telling me to just get a Black-berry which I am tempted to do since everyone in the office is on that system and I will get help if I get stuck.
The 299 plan I was referring to is a blackberry plan from Vodafone not vodafone mobile connect. This 299 plan is unlimited data or in this case e-mails per month. You can't browse the internet but can check your mail via blackberry mail client unlimited downloads for e-mails only. It doesn't allow you to access to any other sites.

I think for Mumbai Vodafone has these 3 options for Vodafone mobile connect:

Option 1: Rs 499 monthly rental for first 500 MB usage and 5p / 10 KB usage charges after that

Option 2: Rs 199 monthly rental and 5p / 10KB usage charges

Option 3: Rs 250 monthly rental for first 100 MB usage and 5p / 10 KB usage charges after that
Old 6th January 2010, 10:32   #5680
Team-BHP Support

New kid on the block:

EDIT: Review here

Quote:
Google has officially unveiled the Nexus One Phone as well as a Google hosted web store for Android devices.

Manufactured by HTC, the Nexus One features dynamic noise suppression from Audience, Inc., a large 3.7" OLED display for deep contrast and brilliant colors and a 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset for blazing speeds. Running on Android 2.1, the newest version of Eclair, the software includes innovations like a voice-enabled keyboard so you can speak into any text field, fun Live Wallpapers, a 3D photo gallery for richer media experiences and lots more. It also comes with a host of popular Google applications, including Gmail, Google Voice and Google Maps Navigation.

The Nexus One is the first in a series of products which Google will bring to market with their operator and hardware partners and sell through the online store.

Today, the web store allows you to purchase the Nexus One without operator service or with service from T-Mobile USA. It is priced at $529 as a standalone purchase or $179 on a two-year $79.99 plan agreement with T-Mobile. Google expects to add more operators, more devices and more countries in the future, including Verizon Wireless in the U.S. and Vodafone in Europe.

You can check out the Nexus One using the link below. The site features video demos of the different phone applications. The Nexus One support page also features a video demo of Android 2.0 even though the device ships with 2.1. We will post a walkthrough of Android 2.1 as soon as one becomes available.
iClarified - Apple News - Google Officially Introduces the Nexus One Phone [Video]

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th January 2010 at 12:03.
Old 14th January 2010, 22:34   #5681
BHPian

Hey Guys - Having an issue with my E71. The phone powers on but does not go to the home screen. i.e. no welcome screen with shaking hands. It simply stays in grey screen mode with the Nokia logo in the background and I can't get any response at all.

Soft Reset does not work and neither does a hard reset: *,3 & Call Button while powering on.

Can anyone recommend a solution other than Nokia care? I also don't want to lose my saved texts, apps, notes, etc.
Old 14th January 2010, 23:04   #5682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Techno you have company!

I tried to update firmware as my '1' and two other button ( to take call, left main key) wasn't working. I had the latest but reflashed thinking it will fix. It was done and I loaded the backup. It wanted to restart and I said ok, please! It wont boot back up now

Hope the guys at Nokia can fix it tomorrow. Mine's a two year old E51. Great phone til date.
Was a 300Rs job ! Guess what speaker voume when you take call in up 50%. E51 owners will know how awesome this is! And all the keys work now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Hey Guys - Having an issue with my E71. The phone powers on but does not go to the home screen. i.e. no welcome screen with shaking hands. It simply stays in grey screen mode with the Nokia logo in the background and I can't get any response at all.

Soft Reset does not work and neither does a hard reset: *,3 & Call Button while powering on.

Can anyone recommend a solution other than Nokia care? I also don't want to lose my saved texts, apps, notes, etc.
Take it to Nokia care, I had the same issue.
Old 15th January 2010, 12:17   #5683
Team-BHP Support

My friend is looking for a new phone. His requirements:

- GPS. He loves using maps and is buying this primarily to use GPS.
- The bigger the screen, the better. (Hence, touchscreen preferred)
- Max budget of 16,000.
- Desirable only: 3G, WiFi

Camera is not important at all.

Please suggest !
Old 15th January 2010, 12:25   #5684
Senior - BHPian

Nokia 5230.

GPS, 3.2 inch touchscreen, 3G. Costs 8.5k to 9.5k.

It can run Mapmyindia/Satguide/navteq maps.
Old 15th January 2010, 12:29   #5685
Team-BHP Support

He went to the Nokia showroom yesterday, the sales guy said that 5230 does not come with GPS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks