Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2009, 20:17   #5596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
How is MTNL's 3G service?
It does not exist in real.

Only very few area around Prabhadevi have decent and consistent speeds. Actual coverage from MTNL :

Quote:
Presently 3G network is available in Cuffeparade, Fountain, Cooperage, City , Mazagaon, Mandvi, Worli , Dadar , Prabhadevi to Mulund on Eastern Express Highway and Prabhadevi to Airport on Western Express Highway
Source : MTNL 3G Jadoo DataCard Booking
Old 20th December 2009, 20:30   #5597
Senior - BHPian

It works well in Chennai almost all parts of the city. I did the setting on dual made. I see the 3G all the time. Once I leave the city say about 50kms then the 3G display changes. The promotional offer for Post Paid 500 plan gives 900 minutes free local talk time.
Old 20th December 2009, 20:34   #5598
Senior - BHPian

Cool, what are actual download speeds?
Old 20th December 2009, 20:58   #5599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvj View Post
I have a N93 mobile, it's been almost 4 years since I have been carrying this brick around with me. At the time when N93 was launched, it was the coolest thing on earth. It could bend, twist and what not. It even had a 3.2 meg camera.

Now I'm planning to upgrade to a new mobile and following are my requirements.
  • Should be a touchscreen
  • Should have a camera with >= 5MP and awesome camera it gotta be.
  • Should not weight above 160g
  • Easy to use (I'm used to Nokia all my life, but ready for a change)
  • Nope, not an iPhone
  • WIFI, 3G, Multimedia, Email etc etc that we expect from a smart phone.
Following is what I have researched so far and had a demo.

Nokia N97 Mini - INR 23,500
  • + Got a tiny screen, but Symbian OS looks improved from it's big brother.
  • + 5MP camera,
  • - No camera lens cover
  • - Outdated camera interface
HTC HD2 - INR 34,300
  • + Huge, biiiiig screen
  • + got everything you see in a PC
  • ---- WinMo!!! Is it reliable?
  • - Unimpressive camera
Sony Ericsson Satio (Idou) - INR 30,100
  • + 12MP camera, best of the best
  • + Awesome image gallery
  • - Haven't used Sony Ericsson, never ever, I said never.
  • - Symbian OS in a Sony phone hmmm
Samsung i8910 Omnia HD - INR 28,300
  • + HD Video recording rocks
  • + 8MP camera with decent quality
  • - Samsung UI aint impressive at all.
  • - Touch UI lags a lot.
  • - No lens cover.
So any suggestion on which one will fit in well? Do anyone of you own any phone from the above? Any other suggestions? I'm all ears
Take a look at Samsung Omnia B7610 Pro... 5 MP, 3.5 Inch AMOLED Touch screen with 480 X 800 resolution, 800 mhz proc with dedicated graphics processor, 256 MB RAM, 3.5 mm jack, GPS, 3G et all for about 23k's
Old 21st December 2009, 11:08   #5600
BHPian

E63/71 users - I have a doubt:

I have an E63 and have configured my office emails on it. I also have Edge from Vodafone.

When I am on WiFi, I get and can send mails from my office mailbox. But when I am not on wifi, I cant. If I send mails, it sits in the outbox till I get into a wifi area and I dont receive new mails.

I CAN browse on Edge though, and it works pretty well. It looks like I hae to change the settings or something to connect my mailbox to Edge (or wifi if it is present).

How do I do it?
Old 21st December 2009, 11:17   #5601
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Remember my "what mobile phone" query? I eventually picked up a Nokia N86. Here's a short review after a couple of weeks of ownership, in case it is of help to any potential buyers:

The Good

- Excellent network holding capability. I am able to continue a conversation in parts of my house (poor network coverage) which was not possible with the previous Motorola. Including on the staircase.

- Good battery life. I'm doing 3 days with moderate usage. Heavy phone call days have seen it dip down to 2 days. Nothing below that, even with a day out of the office and constantly on the phone.

- Stable software. Not hung up once till date. A welcome change from Nokias of 2004 - 2006. I'm told its v3 (of Symbian?) and all bugs have been sorted out.

- Looks real slick. Body is crafted well, high quality of materials, and the display is real bright (computer like). Screen is a finger print magnet, though I got a screen protector fitted from the mobile store itself. Slide action is positive. Comes across as a truly high quality premium mobile phone.

- Can charge the battery via USB. Big plus! I keep the charged at home, and the usb cable at work.

- Subtle sliding lock / unlock button on the LHS is so much more convenient (than Nokias typical two button unlocking action).

- 8 megapixel camera + 8 GB of standard memory.

- Innumerable customisation options (software features, useability etc.).

- Nokia Ovi desktop software is superb. Easy to use, sync and backup contacts.

The Bad:

- Loud speaker quality is only average.

- While the length and the width are compact, this phone is THICK. Weight is also iPod like.

- Smaller keypad buttons & slider design won't suit SMS champions.

- The screen is IMPOSSIBLE to read in broad daylight. The first time, I thought that the phone has switched off!

- When I'm wearing my denims, the lens protector easily slides away and activates the camera! Doesn't happen with my formal attire, yet every time that I'm wearing denims, the camera ends up activated in my pocket.

I don't use it for anything other than what a phone is meant to be used for, so cannot comment on email functionality etc. I went looking for a Nokia 6700 which suited my needs to the T. However, that phone was 14K, a tad too high for what is a simple phone. Saw the N86 for 8K more, looked much better and a superior spec list, picked it up. An impulsive buy that I'm happy with (had researched on the net before paying up).

Last edited by GTO : 4th January 2010 at 09:32. Reason: Adding sunlight + Screen point
Old 21st December 2009, 11:25   #5602
Senior - BHPian

GTO, probably its time to start exploring GPS feature of N86.

E.g. : You can very easily record your OTRs and upload them with one click. It shows it overlaid on Google maps.

And you can plan the OTR on PC and have phone download waypoints over the air.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:05   #5603
Senior - BHPian

Proxima,

Download Smart Connect. Your phone needs to be able to smartly switch networks. SC does the job (mostly). You have other paid applications for the same too
Old 21st December 2009, 12:47   #5604
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Take a look at Samsung Omnia B7610 Pro... 5 MP, 3.5 Inch AMOLED Touch screen with 480 X 800 resolution, 800 mhz proc with dedicated graphics processor, 256 MB RAM, 3.5 mm jack, GPS, 3G et all for about 23k's
Looks good on paper! Its got too much for that cost gonna check it out today
Old 21st December 2009, 14:44   #5605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Even I am researching for the same on the internet. The general opinion is that the phone isnt as fast as the specs suggest. The touch wiz interface though runs very deep into Windows 6.5, is poorly optimized and hence hogs a lot of resources making the phone sluggish.

Phone arena goes on to the extent of saying its "extremely sluggish"
Old 21st December 2009, 15:01   #5606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
You will be disappointed with the WinMo! Just sold the Ominia few days back.
Old 21st December 2009, 15:14   #5607
Senior - BHPian

I won't touch a Samsung phone with even a ten foot pole!
Before my current phone, i used to have a very basic Samsung phone (cost me around 2800 i think). The phone used to go into coma!! It would appear switched on to me, but the person calling me would get a "phone switched off" message! Restarting the phone used to get it "alive" again.
If they can not get a basic phone to work right, there is no way i would put 23 grands into any of their phones!
Old 21st December 2009, 15:27   #5608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Remember my "what mobile phone" query? I eventually picked up a Nokia N86. Here's a short review after a couple of weeks of ownership, in case it is of help to any potential buyers:
I don't use it for anything other than what a phone is meant to be used for, so cannot comment on email functionality etc. I went looking for a Nokia 6700 which suited my needs to the T. However, that phone was 14K, a tad too high for what is a simple phone. Saw the N86 for 8K more, looked much better and a superior spec list, picked it up. An impulsive buy that I'm happy with (had researched on the net before paying up).
22K spent on a phone by someone who always says "A phone is a phone".
Double standards, I say.

IMHO, Nokia 5800 would have been a good buy at 14K.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 21st December 2009, 15:44   #5609
BHPian

@ Extreme torque :

All your requirements are met by Sony P1i, i am using it fropm 1.5 yrs & it as good as new!!!

It has got

3.2 MP camera, WI FI, 3 G, Video Calling, Touch Screen, Blackberry Connect etc & is exactly 150-160 gms

Last edited by SamtheLeo : 21st December 2009 at 15:45.
Old 21st December 2009, 16:04   #5610
Senior - BHPian

@sam - I currently use a Nokia 5800 XM which by all means is a better phone than P1i. I have had very bad experience with Sony Ericsson smart phones. I used to have a P990i and the way company handled it is just unexcuseable. To this day the features listed in the white paper have not been implemented. The phone is feature rich but with a measly 64 MB of RAM, it cannot even open a decent webpage without the out of memory error! Somewhere down the line the company suddenly stopped supporting the P990i with half baked features and suspect reliability and unsolved bugs. That was my first and last phone from Sony Ericsson.

P.S. If feel Nokia is the best when it comes to after sales support in terms of regular updates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks