Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 10:28   #5581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
@ speedy: e72. The best!!
Its just like my E71 brother, but will compare it to the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
My money would be on either a 9700 or a Milestone. Do you have a BES/BIS (Blackberry) plan? Without that, your 9700 is pretty much a glorified texting phone. My N900 is pretty good but I think the most kick *** slide out QWERTY device on the market right now is the Moto Milestone. Prices are a shade over 30k in most markets around the world but I'm not sure about the rates out here.
Don't get the Storm 2. I own a gen1 Storm and the phone's pretty bad.

An E72 would be a good choice but as the old saying goes, variety is the spice of life. Do you really want something that's 95% like your current phone? Android and BB are worth a dekko.
Checked out the Milestone but somehow would prefer the N900 to it. Getting the plan is not an issue, just a call away. The price of the phone is also not an issue, The only real issue is which phone.

As Long as it is complies with my needs i dont really care if it looks prehistoric. The 9700 looks like the E71 and the E72, so does that mean i dont buy them. Most of the phones look the same, whats inside them is what matters .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
@ Speedy, I second FrankMehta, check out the E72 it seems to be the fastest and seems pretty sturdy to me.

Cheers,
Will check out the E72, i am sure it is sturdy as it is similar to my E71 and boy is my phone sturdy.

Last edited by speedy : 17th December 2009 at 10:37.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:06   #5582
Senior - BHPian

Just sold a E72 for a good price to a TBHPian. Think he will update after he gets it
Old 17th December 2009, 23:25   #5583
BHPian

A White Apple iPhone 16GB 3G S.
Simply Amazing!!
Old 18th December 2009, 12:58   #5584
Senior - BHPian

Teamsters,

I am now looking for a replacement for my BB8700g and need your advise on phones with features similar to that of phone above but with 3G. Also let me know how good or bad is the Sony Xperia X1 & X2. I have very stiff thumbs so any phones that you may suggest must have its keys well spaced out to allow for ease and quick typing. A built in GPS would be lovely along with a very strong antenna so that I do not get stuck in remote locations where the signals may not be optimum. It is not a very pleasent experience being stuck in 'Red Land' without any means of communications what so ever.
Old 18th December 2009, 15:07   #5585
Senior - BHPian

E63 Or E71

Gurus,

Need your advice again for a mobile phone. I always wanted a mobile which can be of help for office on the go applications. Firstly i bought E90 communicator and faced so many problems with that, eventually sold it back to the store from whom i had bought it. Then i ended up buying E51, the no nonsense phone. INternet on the go was required but only where wifi is available. for the rest i got my netbook with photon +.

Lost the E51. Used a friend ASUS P527 for 4-5 months as i couldnt think of any good mobile and frankly speaking didnt have the time to go window shopping. Currently using my wifes old N95. Now i am in serious need for an upgrade.

I have short listed 2 mobiles but very much confused after reading the features to be more or less same but price difference for about 4,500.

The 2 shortlisted contendors are NOKIA E63, Getting it for about Rs. 11,000/- & NOKIA E71, Getting it for about Rs. 15,500.

Please advice on the above.

P.S. Blackberry is out of question so please, no BB8310, BB8520.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 18th December 2009, 16:56   #5586
Senior - BHPian

Why not Blackberry. E63 is NOT WORTH it for office usage. E63's 10.7k on ebay incl a nice handsfree!!

Delhi u can manage 8320 for 10k!!

The old firmware of E63 hangs and post update (Jun 09) it is SLOW! It does the job but its NOT snappy. BB does it all and does it better. E71 is faster/slimmer and better cam and an average GPS.

Unless you have a cheap corporate GPRS plan (like in hundred bucks or such!)

/I run Nimbuzz and Mail for Exchange all the time. I get backup of 1.5 days with constant GPRS usage!
Old 18th December 2009, 20:40   #5587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why not Blackberry. E63 is NOT WORTH it for office usage. E63's 10.7k on ebay incl a nice handsfree!!

Delhi u can manage 8320 for 10k!!

The old firmware of E63 hangs and post update (Jun 09) it is SLOW! It does the job but its NOT snappy. BB does it all and does it better. E71 is faster/slimmer and better cam and an average GPS.

Unless you have a cheap corporate GPRS plan (like in hundred bucks or such!)

/I run Nimbuzz and Mail for Exchange all the time. I get backup of 1.5 days with constant GPRS usage!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is without BB internet plan buying a BB is not worth it. i am a very heavy internet user and always have heavy attachments doing back and forth, so for that i use photon + with netbook on the move. So internet on mobile is not my primary requirement. But during my travels i do tend to use the wifi and use skype and messengers. So i checked E63 on the net and then got confused between e63 & e71.
Old 18th December 2009, 21:53   #5588
Senior - BHPian

bhai dekho,

You can do it like this:
BB has a personal email plan (messengers+email) = 300 pm.
8320 does wifi decently so u can do skype.
bung in 200pm for a regular GPRS plan if that's an additional requirement.

issue is that BBs are honestly way way faster than the e63. It is slow!
Old 19th December 2009, 00:53   #5589
BHPian

See if you can get a 8530 Curve. The 83xx series is almost 3 years old, won't get the official OS 5.0 upgrade, frankly looks a bit outdated & the track ball will jam up sometime down the line.

I'd go with E71>BB 8520>BB 83xx>E63

I would've personally advised you to fork out a bit more cash and go for the excellent 8900 Curve (I own one) or the sublime E72 but both cost around 20K right now.

If you liked your E51, you might want to check out the E52 & E55, the latest mini E series phones from Nokia.

Last edited by khan75 : 19th December 2009 at 01:00.
Old 19th December 2009, 01:40   #5590
BHPian

Advice: Need to buy Mobile|Touch|Camera

I have a N93 mobile, it's been almost 4 years since I have been carrying this brick around with me. At the time when N93 was launched, it was the coolest thing on earth. It could bend, twist and what not. It even had a 3.2 meg camera.

Now I'm planning to upgrade to a new mobile and following are my requirements.
  • Should be a touchscreen
  • Should have a camera with >= 5MP and awesome camera it gotta be.
  • Should not weight above 160g
  • Easy to use (I'm used to Nokia all my life, but ready for a change)
  • Nope, not an iPhone
  • WIFI, 3G, Multimedia, Email etc etc that we expect from a smart phone.

Following is what I have researched so far and had a demo.

Nokia N97 Mini - INR 23,500
  • + Got a tiny screen, but Symbian OS looks improved from it's big brother.
  • + 5MP camera,
  • - No camera lens cover
  • - Outdated camera interface

HTC HD2 - INR 34,300
  • + Huge, biiiiig screen
  • + got everything you see in a PC
  • ---- WinMo!!! Is it reliable?
  • - Unimpressive camera

Sony Ericsson Satio (Idou) - INR 30,100
  • + 12MP camera, best of the best
  • + Awesome image gallery
  • - Haven't used Sony Ericsson, never ever, I said never.
  • - Symbian OS in a Sony phone hmmm

Samsung i8910 Omnia HD - INR 28,300
  • + HD Video recording rocks
  • + 8MP camera with decent quality
  • - Samsung UI aint impressive at all.
  • - Touch UI lags a lot.
  • - No lens cover.

So any suggestion on which one will fit in well? Do anyone of you own any phone from the above? Any other suggestions? I'm all ears
Old 20th December 2009, 12:39   #5591
BHPian

I have a E71 and my colleague has E63. I like the metallic feel of E71 and it is much faster than E63. I would say the 4.5k difference is well worth it.

Here are some differences between E71 and E63 i found on a website (Nokia E63 Vs Nokia E71 Comparison: What’s exactly the difference? | Cellphones Themes n Freeware)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The E63 has a colored plastic shell versus the E71’s metal one. The front is a metallic-finish, whilst the back cover is a soft-touch finish – both attract far few fingerprints than the E71’s.

The E63 is nearly identical in dimensions to the E71 except for the depth – the E63 is around 1.5 times the depth of the E71.
The E63 has a 3.5mm jack on top versus the E71’s 2.5mm jack on the side. This appears to be the first E-series to have a standard headphone socket – something normally saved for N-series.
  • The E63 has no side buttons for volume or voice recording. It’s also missing the E71’s IR window.
  • The E63 has a revised keyboard layout, adding a ‘/’ button on the lower row, shortening the space bar.
  • The E63 appears to have a slightly smaller dimension screen although it is the same 320 by 240 pixels as the E71.
  • The E63 lacks internal GPS.
  • The E63 does not support HSDPA data.
  • The E63 has the same 110 meg internal memory, but is shipped without an additional memory card (although a slot to add one is present).
  • The E63 has a 2MP camera versus the E71’s 3.2MP and has a fixed focus.
  • The E63 adds a flashlight function that allows the camera’s LED flash to be used as a torch.
  • The E63 lacks the E71’s faux-leather slip case.
And here’s the key business features still present in the E63:
  • WiFi
  • 3G (there had been some rumours this was 2G only)
  • Microsoft Exchange sync via MailForExchange
  • Expandable memory
  • Fast operation and stable S60 3rd Edition FP1 OS
  • Pre-installed QuickOffice
  • E-series security and encryption functions
  • Huge 1500mAh battery
-Pallavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is without BB internet plan buying a BB is not worth it. i am a very heavy internet user and always have heavy attachments doing back and forth, so for that i use photon + with netbook on the move. So internet on mobile is not my primary requirement. But during my travels i do tend to use the wifi and use skype and messengers. So i checked E63 on the net and then got confused between e63 & e71.
Old 20th December 2009, 13:32   #5592

Push Mail On the E72

Hello,

To everybody that is using an E72 , just wanted to know if the Push Email feature on the phone works without a data plan on a normal voice plan, and how good it was compared to the Blackberry service.

Thanks in advance
Old 20th December 2009, 20:07   #5593
Senior - BHPian

What's a good phone to buy right now with which I can access email, do a bit of surfing etc, take decent pictures? I would prefer one with a numeric keypad so that I can use the T9 for text messaging. i have trouble with phones that have qwerty keypads/ touch phones. Is it worth getting an instrument with 3G? How is MTNL's 3G service?
Old 20th December 2009, 20:14   #5594
Senior - BHPian

Hi friend,

I am a team BHP member use Nokia E75 with BSNL 3G in Chennai. The 3G is very good. I did video call and got another vanity number for people at home. The net and mails are faster. Navigation is also good. You did not mention the budget for your mobile. E75 has QWERTY and numeric. Use as yiu like,
Old 20th December 2009, 20:15   #5595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedude View Post
Hello,

To everybody that is using an E72 , just wanted to know if the Push Email feature on the phone works without a data plan on a normal voice plan, and how good it was compared to the Blackberry service.

Thanks in advance
Nokia Messaging requires internet access (data plan). Voice cannot be used to push data. You can use WiFi to pull messages. Push is still unparalleled on the BB but Nokia is very, very close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
What's a good phone to buy right now with which I can access email, do a bit of surfing etc, take decent pictures? I would prefer one with a numeric keypad so that I can use the T9 for text messaging. i have trouble with phones that have qwerty keypads/ touch phones. Is it worth getting an instrument with 3G? How is MTNL's 3G service?
Nokia N79 if you like candybars, Sony Ericsson W715 if you prefer sliders. Both are excellent, fully featured non-touchscreen, non-QWERTY phones.

Last edited by khan75 : 20th December 2009 at 20:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks