Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 00:29   #5566
Senior - BHPian

Sastaa but Tikaau

Figure this out folks

I am travelling in Jharkhand and earlier this morning my kaaliberry 8700g greeted me with a no signal statement across its face. It has happened before and usually after switching the wireless off and on or the power for that matter the phone managed to get signals and life would go on. This however was not to be the case today. So off I went to earn my two cents and after a peaceful day without any calls came back to the hotel only to download dozens of mails with very colourful language because I was incommunicado the entire day. Decided to rectify the situation for the remainder of my tour, so went to the local multi brand phone dealer to pick up a set for interim use. We must have tried a dozen and a half instruments from Sony, Samsung, Motorola but none was able to get vodafone signals. I thought maybe it is the simcard that has gone bad and started to ask directions for the local Vodafone gallery(only to be advised there is no such thing in Jamshedpur) when one of the staffers inserted my sim card into a Samsung SGH-B130S and lo behold there was the Vodafone IN on its face.

I am puzzled as to how a INR1300/- phone could do what others more than 10 times its price could not. Can someone decipher this? Anyhow thanks to the little guy I am back in touch with the world at large, at least I will be saving money on the mail downloads only to spend it uploading on Teambhp.
Old 12th December 2009, 23:21   #5567
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

I am with a E75 Nokia set. It is not getting configured for Internet. Where as the E 61 works well with BSNL. After settings when our iI tried to log in I get a message pocket data not found. Any E 75 ians with some solution with BSNL 3 G. Please help.
Old 13th December 2009, 11:06   #5568
Senior - BHPian

Talk to BSNL Helpdesk. They will send you a service SMS containing all the necessary settings, which will automatically configure your phone for BSNL.
Old 13th December 2009, 11:35   #5569
BHPian

any recommendations for a good camera phone - sony satio, samsung pixon. I am going for a vacation abroad and don't want to lug around a blackberry and a camera separately.
From cnet and googling, it seems the satio is one of the best camera phones out there, however, most reviews state, the symbian OS is crap and the resistive touch screen makes it even worse!
Oh how I wish there was a android or winmo variant of these phones! I hear X10 will be good, but thats not even out yet.
Old 13th December 2009, 12:57   #5570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
any recommendations for a good camera phone - sony satio, samsung pixon. I am going for a vacation abroad and don't want to lug around a blackberry and a camera separately.
From cnet and googling, it seems the satio is one of the best camera phones out there, however, most reviews state, the symbian OS is crap and the resistive touch screen makes it even worse!
Oh how I wish there was a android or winmo variant of these phones! I hear X10 will be good, but thats not even out yet.
IMHO, you would get better pics lugging around even a small point and shoot cam.
Anyway, here's a review of only the camera capabilities of the 2 phones at gsmarena
Old 13th December 2009, 14:22   #5571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
IMHO, you would get better pics lugging around even a small point and shoot cam.
Anyway, here's a review of only the camera capabilities of the 2 phones at gsmarena
thats a really good article and yeah i know a good point and shoot cam will be useful - however my main peeve is phones, cameras, chargers, memories, usb cables and cases and what nots. I am not very much of a photographer, but need something which does the job well at that magical moment (night or day) and the satio looks quite decent at being the one unified device The pixon 12 is not available in india btw.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:24   #5572
Senior - BHPian

Hi Deralte,

Thank you for the suggestion. They did send the configuration Message. But did not work. I went to the CRO's place for some other work and we talked about this. On our discussion we two came to the conclusion of deleting all the old settings and getting new settings. It was done then also it did not work. Finally after setting a switch off and switch on worked. The 3 G setup was also done and we have seen the video call also working. Welcome to the Genet phone services by BSNL Chennai. Finally a couple of hours of efforts of me and the CRO made us good friends. A Tip: Never keep a modem on when not in use. That made me to pay Rs.912 bill with out use.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:28   #5573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
thats a really good article and yeah i know a good point and shoot cam will be useful - however my main peeve is phones, cameras, chargers, memories, usb cables and cases and what nots. I am not very much of a photographer, but need something which does the job well at that magical moment (night or day) and the satio looks quite decent at being the one unified device The pixon 12 is not available in india btw.
Do check the antecedents of the Satio thoroughly before buying. I remember some news on the net saying that its got some problems and has been recalled along with Aino.
Old 14th December 2009, 23:06   #5574
Senior - BHPian

jassi:Satio; good cam. You can also use it in 5MP mode etc. Loved the Panorama mode too.

E72; used it today.Looks very business like. Its thinner than the E71. Good cam and clicks faster.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:12   #5575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
... A Tip: Never keep a modem on when not in use. That made me to pay Rs.912 bill with out use.
Good that it worked out for you, sir. Which modem are you referring to here? Do you mean 'Keep the setting to GSM/GPRS/EDGE only if you don't intend to use 3G"?
Old 15th December 2009, 23:34   #5576
Senior - BHPian

Hi Deralte,

I mean to say broad band modem to be kept off when not in use. In mobile when you don't use the GPRS better keep packet data setting as when needed but not always. The other thing is that. Keep the network setting indual mode so when 3G available it will work as 3G and if not it will shift automatically to GSM.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:08   #5577
Senior - BHPian

Need advice for a new phone

Guys since i am no good with Phones and the different applications that come in really confuse me. I need the Mobile guru's advice for a new phone. Currently i use the Nokia E71 and want to change it now. Main use is office on the run and easy usability, I'm a nokia guy and would tilt to favour it but am open to suggestions.
The contenders were two primarily the first two,but last night a friend suggested another one. Here are the choices.
1) Nokia N900.
2) BlackBerry Storm 2 9520.
3) BlackBerry Bold 9700.

Thank you for your time and efforts in helping me choose a replacement.
Old 16th December 2009, 23:54   #5578
Senior - BHPian

@ speedy: e72. The best!!
Old 17th December 2009, 00:28   #5579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The contenders were two primarily the first two,but last night a friend suggested another one. Here are the choices.
1) Nokia N900.
2) BlackBerry Storm 2 9520.
3) BlackBerry Bold 9700.

Thank you for your time and efforts in helping me choose a replacement.
My money would be on either a 9700 or a Milestone. Do you have a BES/BIS (Blackberry) plan? Without that, your 9700 is pretty much a glorified texting phone. My N900 is pretty good but I think the most kick *** slide out QWERTY device on the market right now is the Moto Milestone. Prices are a shade over 30k in most markets around the world but I'm not sure about the rates out here.
Don't get the Storm 2. I own a gen1 Storm and the phone's pretty bad.

An E72 would be a good choice but as the old saying goes, variety is the spice of life. Do you really want something that's 95% like your current phone? Android and BB are worth a dekko.
Old 17th December 2009, 00:29   #5580
Senior - BHPian

@ Speedy, I second FrankMehta, check out the E72 it seems to be the fastest and seems pretty sturdy to me.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks