Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 01:42   #5551
BHPian

HTC Tattoo doesn't have 3g in India! And the resistive touchscreen won't be any good for android. The camera is fixed focus. Without a flash.

Too many compromises I think.
Old 5th December 2009, 01:48   #5552
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,

My current E63 broke, and I am looking at a new phone.
This is what I want:
- WiFi
- Music Player
- QWERTY Keypad
- Good build
- Reliable
- Good business and personal phone.

My options are another Nokia E63 and a Blackberry Curve 8520.
My doubts:
- The BB is a very good phone for business and it would let me connect with my friends around the world thanks to BBM.
How reliable is it? How sturdy is it? Can I get apps for it for free and from where?
This is the option my heart wants.

- The Nokia is a very good personal phone, and has lots of apps and features.
The only thing i would miss is push email, and BBM. I hate the Pull email they have on offer right now. I like to see my emails when they come.
I can live without push email thanks to the web browser, however, is Nokia planning on launching a feature such as BBM anytime soon?
My head wants the Nokia as it is very good VFM and I have been using them all my life. I literally had a love affair with my old 6630, and I feel like a traitor switching brands. However, the BBM is what I really miss and would like, even though Nokia has an app available which would allow me to be signed into my MSN, G-talk, FB chat all day.
What do you guys suggest?
I don't want to spend too much as off late I have been having very bad luck with phones.

Also, are there any alternatives to the E63. Budget around 11-12K.

Thanks!

Last edited by lamborghini : 5th December 2009 at 01:52.
Old 5th December 2009, 10:51   #5553
Senior - BHPian

E72 - First impressions

Hi guys,

I picked up my E72 on 2nd Evening. By the night of 2nd most of my things were moved into it and I have been using it ever since. As always, moving data from an old phone to a new one is a painful process. For the sake of tech-dummies like me, I wish the phone companies (and computer guys) would pay some attention to this and make import of data from other machines a simple one touch system and ensure that nothing is changed/garbled/put in a wrong place.

The phone is quite nice and fits the hand quite easily. The function/application keys are pretty well laid out and easy to use.

Voice clarity is ok, reception is very good.

Screen is clear and easy to read/see.

Browsing over GPRS is pretty fast and this is where the faster processor and extra memory make their presence felt. Browsing over WLAN however is not as fast as a lap-top and was therefore quite a let-down. It is however much faster than browsing over GPRS.

The e-mail set-up is easy for GMail all you need is your username and password all the other things are taken care of by the phone and the mail-box is setup within under a minute.

The box contains the phone, a wall charger, a nice leather pouch, a security leash, a 8GB card, a set of stereo headphones and a USB-miniUSB chord (one can also charge the phone through this chord).

The 16GB card is in short supply and wired "boom" headsets are unavailable though the Nokia site clearly lists them under accessories for the E72.

I have not really used the phone much, I shall keep you posted over time. Oh, I forgot the phone comes for Rs.22K.

Cheers,
Old 5th December 2009, 11:28   #5554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
See for yourself:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
the n82 which i use is probably the best camera phone available from nokia's stable.
Now I have all the info I need. N82 here I come. I really wish that Nokia, Sony, etc used a common charger (USB). With 2 phones I have to carry 2 chargers! ugh!
Old 5th December 2009, 12:29   #5555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Now I have all the info I need. N82 here I come. I really wish that Nokia, Sony, etc used a common charger (USB). With 2 phones I have to carry 2 chargers! ugh!
Umm, you could get one of those 12v car power socket charger thingies which has an adapter at the end for most phone brands.

For the last 2 yrs or so, i've only charged my phones when driving to/from work (phones are on silent ofcourse)
Old 5th December 2009, 16:34   #5556
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
.... For the sake of tech-dummies like me, I wish the phone companies (and computer guys) would pay some attention to this and make import of data from other machines a simple one touch system and ensure that nothing is changed/garbled/put in a wrong place....
What phone were you upgrading from?

The higher end/newer nokias do have a program for this built in. It transfers everything with the press of a button (photos, sms templates, inbox, settings, contacts, etc).

Quote:
.... Browsing over WLAN however is not as fast as a lap-top and was therefore quite a let-down.
Unfortunately even with these power-packed new processors this is a dissapointment :(

I think i'm gonna buy the E72. Came here for possible updates -- so please do keep updating us with your experience!

Also, what do you feel about the optical scroll key?

cya
R
Old 5th December 2009, 17:56   #5557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
What phone were you upgrading from?

The higher end/newer nokias do have a program for this built in. It transfers everything with the press of a button (photos, sms templates, inbox, settings, contacts, etc).

Unfortunately even with these power-packed new processors this is a dissapointment :(

I think i'm gonna buy the E72. Came here for possible updates -- so please do keep updating us with your experience!

Also, what do you feel about the optical scroll key?

cya
R
Hi Rehaan,

I upgraded from an E50. The 'transfer data' worked only for 'contacts' the rest I had to move via the computer using PC Suite.

The optical scroll key is good, it comes set at 'medium' sensitivity and I was not very happy, I set sensitivity to 'high' and am quite happy now.

I find those 8 keys on either side of the scroll pad, dedicated to commonly used functions well laid out and very convenient to use. The rest of the keys though can be a bit of a pain as they are really TINY. LOL it just proves that I have fat fingers . I guess they had to use tiny keys so as to fit them all in on the phone. The keys are however well-shaped and I guess once I get the hang of it, should be quite easy to use. The predictive text is useful too, I used it on a Moto-Ming earlier and find the Nokia's predictive text much better.

I bought a 16GB card for 3.2K and will start using it soon. The dealer has promised me WH201 "boom headsets" next week, I hope he keeps his promise. I do not like to use Bluetooth and find using other stereo headsets a pain, while boom is easy to use and very convenient.

Cheers,
Old 7th December 2009, 10:05   #5558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Umm, you could get one of those 12v car power socket charger thingies which has an adapter at the end for most phone brands.
what happens when I fly to another city?
Old 7th December 2009, 11:57   #5559
BHPian

@Ravveendrra,

Which color did you buy E72 ?
Old 7th December 2009, 14:30   #5560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
what happens when I fly to another city?
umm, 2 chargers?

I've not looked for a regular wall socket type multi-brand cellphone charger, but they might be available if there is already a car version of it. If I see one, i'll post details here.

Last edited by gomzi : 7th December 2009 at 14:32.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:19   #5561
BHPian

E72 has a new color T BROWN.trust me its juast amazing.make sure you see the color before buying a black.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:27   #5562
Senior - BHPian

of course, there are regular multi brand chargers. Best you should do is keep a USB one. It'll work in the car, inside the office, anywhere
Old 7th December 2009, 17:08   #5563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
umm, 2 chargers?

I've not looked for a regular wall socket type multi-brand cellphone charger, but they might be available if there is already a car version of it. If I see one, i'll post details here.
Plenty of solutions:
Mobile Power Pack, Battery Pack Accessories and Other Battery Pack at Batterygeek.net

You can get this from croma (works but only for my htc tytn):
APC Mobile Power Pack, 10Wh

But there's a guy who gaurantees 2 powertips every year for the lifetime of the charger:
Energizer Energi to Go XP1000 Mobile Phone Power Pack | Techbuy Australia

Why not just carry a usb cable with multiple tips and charge from your laptop: I'm doing that now!

My son conducted a training for clients upgrading websites to Microsoft SilverLight compliance and picked up the APC unit for me for about 50 SGD.
Old 7th December 2009, 20:25   #5564
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the additional info Ravveendrra. Yes, i figure i will have to cut my nails more regularly if i get a E71/72

Quote:
...The optical scroll key is good, it comes set at 'medium' sensitivity and I was not very happy, I set sensitivity to 'high' and am quite happy now.
Heres a Q for you & Nandishpal,

Today i discovered (via youtube) that the Optical Navi-key moves the equivalent of one button-press PER SWIPE !!?!?

That is kind of ridiculous! So in other words, its not swipe speed/length sensitive, and there is no kinetic scrolling.
As an example: if i want to scroll from A to K in my phone book using just the navi key, i need to swipe down 150 times! This is purely an alternative to pressing the down button 150 times (or perhaps keeping the down button pressed for one long press).

Thats such a dissapointment!!! Is there a setting for this? Is this going to change (firmware upgrade?)?

eg. On the blackberrys with the touchpad, you can scroll all the way across many items just by varying the speed/length of the scroll - whereas on E72 you need to swipe once per item!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th December 2009 at 20:26.
Old 7th December 2009, 23:39   #5565
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rehaan,

The scrolling is speed/length sensitive on the E72. (I just re-checked). If I move my finger faster / the stroke is longer, the cursor does move more than one item - normally between 3 to 6 items. I remember reading something about this in the manual too. IIRC, the E72 did do something like one move per swipe before I set the sensitivity to high.

The alternative is just too horrible to contemplate and I might have bashed the E72 to smithreens if each swipe over that track pad moved the cursor only one place.

OT: The ladies are gonna love you for your manicured fingers.

@ anmolbedi: I picked up the black as unfortunately Nokia decided not to launch the E72 in grey.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks