Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2009, 11:26   #5206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Guys Iv got a bunch of videos I would like to transfer to my phone, compressing size and maintaining some level of quality.

Any recommended mp4 converters to do the job? Im using the n82
There are many softwares or encoders which does the job quite well. Super, M3, PocketDivXConverter etc.,
Previously I was using Super for my w300i. Then heard of M3 and used it for w580i. Now using PocketDivXConverter for my HTC Touch.
But M3 does the job great. Its buggy and no support or development but one hell of a software. It converts the video to MP4 and the quality is awesome.
Try it out.
Old 6th September 2009, 11:47   #5207
BHPian

Anybody got a Samsung Jet?
Samsung Jet | Smarter than Smartphone

800 MHz processor, 800x480, 5MP camera, GPS, Wifi, 3G etc. Rs.19K
Catch? It's a featurephone - no OS.

The specs look great - anybody have some experience?
Old 6th September 2009, 15:06   #5208
BHPian

i have it.and its very good.very fast phone.great screen n battery life.all who have used my phone find it very comfortable.touch screen is very responsive.i would recommend it to everyone.
Old 6th September 2009, 22:05   #5209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
HTC Magic: So far so good.
Onto an iPhone 8GB now
DA how many phones do you need? You got a BB and now a HTC and iPhone too?
Old 6th September 2009, 23:57   #5210
Senior - BHPian

My personal phone is a Nokia N82 (voice, occasionally data traffic). The BB is office mail, office apps and data/browsing. I was trying to figure out whether any other phone can give an acceptable experience to replace the BB. All the other phones were those that we are using to develop mobile apps for at office, so available to me for testing. I was using an old HTC Touch (3450) for testing out GPS software, and I used to swap in the SIM from the BB for browsing - better experience with Opera Mini on this phone than on the BB.

So far, only an HTC TyTNII (with BB Connect; slow processor is a dampener, otherwise it is OK) comes close to replacing the BB, with the HTC HD a close second (lacks a keyboard - show stopper, but OK otherwise).

Nifty feature that BB scores over WiMo: automatically deletes all email notifications on the phone older than, say, 15 days. Since I keep my mails on the office mail server (so that I can refer to older mails on the road), this is a critical function for me. That way I don't have to mark and delete old notifications - painful process, considering I have to wade through 50-70 emails a day.
Old 7th September 2009, 07:24   #5211
BHPian

My current Phone HTC Touch aka Elfin
Model P3452
OS Windows Mobile 6.5
Major use is listening music. Sometimes browsing and if out of office on a tour, checking email.
Have not installed any other applications other than the stock one. Memory consumption would not exceed 45.
For music, using Windows Media Player. But my way of listening music is only through Bluetooth. Windows Media Player provided huge lag, so now changed to HTC Audio Manager, seems to be good.
Other than music, use Opera Mini or Skyfire for browsing.
Youtube for viewing videos.
S2V for photo album viewing.
Finger Keyboard replacing the stock keyboard.
I am not a avid photographer, so HTC camera is good, but lacks sharpness and quality. No Flash of any sought.
Battery backup is one day, since use Bluetooth and Music for 3 hours a day (While riding my bike to and back from office)
One satisfied customer of HTC, probably looking for a change, either a advanced one from HTC stable or from Apple. May be one from Sony too. Xperia X2
Old 7th September 2009, 11:22   #5212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
My personal phone is a Nokia N82...Nifty feature that BB scores over WiMo: automatically deletes all email notifications on the phone older than, say, 15 days. Since I keep my mails on the office mail server (so that I can refer to older mails on the road), this is a critical function for me. That way I don't have to mark and delete old notifications - painful process, considering I have to wade through 50-70 emails a day.
2 more questions DA.

1. Yesterday I was folling around with a BB. Then I wanted to speed dial my chauffer and i could not. with my old Sony G900 I dont even need to look at the keyboard to do this. So now I onwder if having a full qwerty keybaord is going to limit me. One option I goolged were phones that had a slide out qwerty keybaord that could be tukced away when not in use. The Nokia E75 is one example but the techies tell me that BB email does not work well on a Nokia. They say not even phones that resemble BBs like teh Nokia N72, HTC ozone, etc do email as well as a BB does so now lets see if we can tick all the boxes.

1. I need speed dial. It is essential to my life. I call a small group of 10 numbers more than all the other numbers in my phone book put together.
2. I need easy SMS with one hand
3. I need email to be formatted properly or I wont read it leave alone answer it.
4. I need a small 2-3 Mega pixel camera with a good flash to send photos via MMs and to recieve MMS.
5. Weight 140gms. Thickness 15mm. Width 63mm (at 66mm the BB Bold was too wide, at 60mm the 8900 was too small).

GPS, Touchscreeens, etc.. are not required.

The E75 looks nice to me but I fear that my BB functionality wont be as well integrated as it is on a BB. According to GSMarena...It seems Nokia has got everything covered except for Blackberry Connect support What was Nokia Thinking?

The BB 9630 Tour also fits the bill but can it do Speed dial and one hand SMS given that it's keyboard is a derivative of the Bold and not the 8900? According to CrackBerry In hand, the BlackBerry 9630 feels awesome. For all those who say the Curve 8900 is too small or that the Bold is too big, you're going to find this device to feel just right based on the photos on this site (Verizon BlackBerry Tour review) I like the 9630 keybaord a lot only will it allow me speed dial and one hand SMS?

Look what I found...I am not alone!
BlackBerry Curve 8900 vs Nokia E75 - News - Know Your Mobile
Nokia E75 VS BlackBerry Curve 8900 - Know Your Mobile India

BB Bold - too bog
BB 8900 - too small
Nokia E72 - why? If I wanted a keybaord I'd get a BB in the first place

Nokia E75 - gives me a keybaord that I am confortbale with and email whne the slider is open but NO BLACKBERRY client.
BB Tour - Email assured but speed dial keys and SMS might be a problem.
not tried either as the Tour is not out and no one I know has the E75.

Last edited by navin : 7th September 2009 at 12:00.
Old 7th September 2009, 12:14   #5213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
i have it.and its very good.very fast phone.great screen n battery life.all who have used my phone find it very comfortable.touch screen is very responsive.i would recommend it to everyone.
drchernish, I presume you're talking about the Samsung Jet. How would you rate its music playing capability? I'm looking at primarily a music phone - this and the 5800 XM- the 5800XM has some goodies(8gb, great sound quality) while this baby has some serious specs. Your views are welcome!
Old 7th September 2009, 12:43   #5214
BHPian

hi naveen,
Nokia has something called NMS.Nokia mail service works just like blackberry.it is a push mail service & works like a breeze.the only thing that misses out is a BB internal msngr.if you are ok with no BB msnger then any e series model is a boon.
Old 7th September 2009, 13:15   #5215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
hi naveen,
Nokia has something called NMS.Nokia mail service works just like blackberry.it is a push mail service & works like a breeze.the only thing that misses out is a BB internal msngr.if you are ok with no BB msnger then any e series model is a boon.
From reading about the E75 I understood that they have their own email service/software but with my whole office on BB I am a bit cofnused as to how the emails will look on a E75 and whether the E75 will be fully compatible.

What is an Internal Messenger?
Old 7th September 2009, 13:20   #5216
BHPian

the email appears same as it does in BB.you can view & add attachments.e series also supports word,excel & presentation.applications like weather update,advance call manager are also available on the e-series.
the internal messenger is an application where in you can chat with any BB customer.you have an uniquie id which you have to know of the person you want to chat with & then can also add into messenger list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
From reading about the E75 I understood that they have their own email service/software but with my whole office on BB I am a bit cofnused as to how the emails will look on a E75 and whether the E75 will be fully compatible.

What is an Internal Messenger?

Last edited by nandishpal : 7th September 2009 at 13:22.
Old 7th September 2009, 14:17   #5217
Senior - BHPian

how do you like the N82?
I use the same one and absolutely love its photographic capabilities.
It is primarily a voice + sms + camera for me with a little bit of internet email thrown in.

[quote=DerAlte;1468990]My personal phone is a Nokia N82 (voice, occasionally data traffic).
Old 7th September 2009, 15:15   #5218
BANNED

Anyone used Intex Dual SIM phones ?
Old 7th September 2009, 15:38   #5219
BHPian

Family,

I am not very familiar with the cellphone market. Kindly suggest me a cheap phone, following are my requirements:

1) Qwerty keyboard
2) Music player
3) Video player
4) 3G
5) E-Mail
6) Handsfree?

BB from airtel is 16K, can we get anything cheaper than that, doesn't have to be BB

Thanks,

K
Old 7th September 2009, 15:49   #5220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Then I wanted to speed dial my chauffer and i could not. ...
Yes you can, you need to assign speed dial numbers to the keys first on the BB, like any other phone.

Quote:
... but the techies tell me that BB email does not work well on a Nokia. ...
They wouldn't have tried seriously. BB Connect does pretty well on most smartphone models, including Nokia / Symbian.

Quote:
... 2. I need easy SMS with one hand
Didn't understand this one. Do you mean single hand thumb-typing like on number keypad? Or do you mean 'keyboard size manageable for reaching all keys'? In either case most speed typers use both thumbs. Possible even with a Bold (I have tried).

Quote:
... 3. I need email to be formatted properly or I wont read it leave alone answer it.
All smart phones do that now. I think you meant separate areas for header (recipients, subject) and body (main text area)

Quote:
... The E75 looks nice to me but I fear that my BB functionality wont be as well integrated as it is on a BB. According to GSMarena...It seems Nokia has got everything covered except for Blackberry Connect support What was Nokia Thinking?
BB support (with BB Connect) is provided by RIM, and not device manufacturer. The BB functionality (secure email and app access, OTA PIM sync, remote address look-up etc.) provided by BB Connect is quite comprehensive, including the BB PIN-to-PIN messenger.

Quote:
... The BB 9630 Tour also fits the bill but can it do Speed dial and one hand SMS given that it's keyboard is a derivative of the Bold and not the 8900?
Looks good, however ... US specific model - not available in India! Doesn't have W-Fi, which I think is really good to have for those moments when you need to quickly (faster than cellular radio) access some pages, even if you normally don't browse on the phone. Has GPS, but BB maps don't cover India anyhow.

Quote:
... Look what I found...I am not alone!
Apples versus oranges comparison, since the 2 originate from different design philosophies on the drawing board. Display is bigger and better on the Tour (half VGA). E75 is smaller and sleek. You can send out SMS with one hand with the number keys on E75 without opening main kbd, but I am not sure whether the screen will automatically go to landscape without opening kbd.

Tough choice, but I would rather stick to BB.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks