Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 12:13   #5161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I need a good music phone. Doesn't necessarily have to be touch screen and preferably nokia. Budget is around 15k.
The 5800 is a good phone. Its quite good to watch movies in it too. just get a 16bg card.

Quote:
The first in my list is the nokia 5800. I was wondering if i should wait for 5530 as i dont need 3g and gps.
Of you don't want 3G or GPs, then its better to wait for the 5530. It has a faster processor too, but the screen is a tad bit smaller.
Quote:
I was offered a brand new 5800 for 14.5k. Is it a good price ?
I saw on the nokia website they were giving sennheiser headphones free. If this is included in the 14.5k i guess it is a good deal.
[/quote]

It seems like a good price for the phone. last time i checked, it was 16ish in cochin. And the headphones, if included in this price makes it a better offer.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:57   #5162
Team-BHP Support

When exactly does the E72 hit the shops?

Has anyone had a chance to play with it or try the touch-scroll thingy? I feel that will be the make-or-break for the phone.

Also - what will the price be?

cya
R
Old 24th August 2009, 16:10   #5163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
When exactly does the E72 hit the shops?

Has anyone had a chance to play with it or try the touch-scroll thingy? I feel that will be the make-or-break for the phone.

Also - what will the price be?

cya
R
I love it too but 2.36 inch screen IMHO is too small for a business phone. 2.6 or preferably 2.8 inch should be the bare minimum.
Old 24th August 2009, 16:35   #5164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
My wife's Nokia 6500 - Slider has conked off. The speaker and mic are not working properly.

So, have decided to buy E63 in a day or two at max, and sell off this phone.

I am getting E63 for Rs. 12000 from a shop in Model Town, and for Nokia 6500, he is ready to pay me Rs 4500. So, is that a good deal? I saw couple of used Nokia 6500s selling on eBay for as high as 7500-8000 bucks.
Bought the E63 yes'day for my wife. So far, she's loving it.
Old 26th August 2009, 12:57   #5165
BHPian

An Unusual Request :)

Now I’m sure this one is going to be quite an unusual request,

I’m currently looking for a Second Phone for myself.
The beauty is that I’m not looking for a New Second phone…

What I’m looking for are those old Nokia phones which always fascinated me when I was a Lad and I always wanted to own them, but somehow my pocket money never allowed me.
So now that I can spend few bucks, I would want to indulge in some Nostalgia…

Shortlisted jewels:-
Nokia 8210
Nokia 8850
Nokia 6210

Now would some of you know where I can find a dealer who would be selling these…?

I know ... But this crazy mind wants crazy things...
Old 28th August 2009, 17:55   #5166
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Nokia N82 problem and recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
1st January 2008, 12:42

Hi friends:

Just upgraded from my Nokia N73 to a Nokia N82 on 31st Dec. 2007.

Bought it (peti-pack) from TheMobileStore for Rs. 24,499 less free gift worth Rs. 5,000. Nokia announced this phone barely 45 days ago.
The MobileStore - Best Mobile Phone Deals, Buy Mobile Phone, cell Phone Accessories

The operating system is Symbian OS version 9.2 with S60 rel. 3.1 GUI.

The GPS is just awesome. Beats all my experience with borrowed N95s.
Other cool features include 802.11 B/G WiFi and FM stereo tuner. It has a 3.5 mm audio output jack, so you can plug in your hifi headphones directly.

One of the top features is the 5 megapixel camera (2592 x 1944 pixels) with Tessar lens from Carl Zeiss. This is the famous Tessar four-element design.
The front element is a positive crown glass element, center element is a negative flint glass element and the rear element is a doublet comprising a negative plano-concave flint glass element cemented to a positive convex crown glass element.
Maximum aperture is f/2.8 at wide narrowing down to f/5.6 at telephoto.

First time for Nokia is a built-in Xenon high intensity discharge flash.

The phone came with an installed 2 GB microSD flash memory card with hot swappability.

It has built-in GPS navigation with additional Assisted GPS (A-GPS) for fast tracking.

Nokia has also integrated an accelerometer (with user-interface auto-rotate). When you rotate the camera, the screen automatically switches from portrait mode to landscape mode.
The very good browser automatically toggles between portrait mode and landscape mode, depending on how you orient it w.r.t. earth's gravity!

Here is Team-BHP on the laptop and on the Nokia N82.

At last the phone has a 3D Graphics hardware accelerator (OpenGL Embedded Sys. 1.1) and analog video signal output for direct connection to a TV set.

Ram

firmware for N82 reads :
V 10.0.046
24-10-07
RM-313
Nokia N82 (25.01)
Quote:
26th February 2009, 20:12

The N82 packs a formidable set of features into a single package.
for example: How many other cell phone models have all of these (as in: every single one of these features)?
  • Built-in accelerometer with automatic screen rotation
  • 3G/UMTS radio
  • WiFi.
  • Quad-band: WCDMA2100 (HSDPA), EGSM900, GSM850/1800/1900 MHz (EGPRS) with automatic switching between bands and modes
  • Texas Instruments OMAP 2420: i.e. 332 MHz ARM11 + 220 MHz C55x DSP + PowerVR MBX GPU,
  • 3D with Graphics hardware Accelerator (OpenGL ES 1.1) -- Direct connection to TV via TV-out or wireless LAN/UPnP
  • Phenomenal 5 megapixel CMOS camera sensor with real (Xenon) flash, Carl Zeiss Tessar (4-element) autofocus lens; Secondary (front) camera
  • MPEG-4 VGA (640x480), 30 frames per second video recording
  • Upto 32 GB Hot swappable microSD memory card expandability
  • Stereo FM radio
  • Integrated Stereo speakers
  • 3.5 mm audio jack
  • A2DP wireless stereo Bluetooth headphone support
  • Integrated GPS receiver for navigation with Assisted-GPS capability
  • full n-GAGE gaming platform
If I were to somehow trash my December 2007 model N82, I would just buy a new N82. Otherwise I'd have to "double" the budget to look for a worthy competitor.

Friends, I have the following experience to share.

The camera in my 20-month old Nokia N82 had stopped working. Maybe it was a fall a few days ago.

I was devastated. It was such a handy and performing camera, Xenon flash, 5 megapixel... -- the "benchmark" cameraphone for low-light photography. For sheer computing power, the N82 came with dual ARM 11 332 MHz processors and 3D Graphics hardware accelerator, that few phones even today can boast of.

I thought I should get a new Nokia N82.
But bad luck!
In 20 months since launch, Nokia had discontinued the darned thing!

Worse, I found out that Nokia had elected to discontinue the use of the brilliant Xenon flash in new mobile phones.

What? Why?

Space Compromise
The Xenon flash operates at 330V and requires a bulky storage capacitor.
Space is a significant factor in mobile device design.
The bulky electrolytic capacitor takes more room inside the phone body, than the designers are willing to grant it.

Energy Compromise
Besides, this capacitor takes time and energy to charge after every flash discharge.
That exacts a toll on battery life.

From a power reusability perspective, the electrolytic capacitor's charge can be only used for the flash.
but the charge in the thin film supercapacitors used in LED flash, can be reused for powering GPRS, Radio-Frequency Transmission, Audio, etc.

Durability Compromise
Also the the Xenon gas-filled glass Flash tube is fragile and susceptible to crack if the phone falls to a hard floor.

Safety Compromise
Then, it is a safety problem to assemble the highly charged capacitor without frying other circuits.

Simplicity and Cost Compromise
Moreover, the Xenon flash requires a mechanical camera shutter.
This translates to extra cost, power consumption and space occupation
whereas LED flash can be used with an electronic rolling shutter.
It's also a simple given that a Xenon flash tube costs more than an LED.

Functionality Compromise
And when one is shooting video, one needs a separate LED light.
The Xenon flash is unusable as a video light.

With all these compromises, the Xenon flash is regrettably a thing of the past in Nokia cameras.

That's that, even though everybody knows that
compact digital cameras made by Nikon, Olympus, Canon, etc. always feature Xenon flashes. Never LED flashes!
But these CDCs only take snaps, nothing else.

A cameraphone after all, has to be more versatile than a digital camera.

It has a GSM transceiver, a Bluetooth transceiver, an 802.11 B/G WiFi transceiver, a GPS satellite receiver, an FM transmitter, an FM stereo receiver, a graphics accelerator with TV out, an accelerometer, a magnetometer compass, a PDA, an MP3/WMA/WAV/RealAudio/AAC audio player, an H.264/MPEG-4 AVC compressed video player...

Be that so,
I still felt, the Xenon flash was a darn good thing to have.
It would fire and sustain intense full-spectrum white light for a fleeting 20 microseconds. That's 1/50,000th of a second.

In that duration, a car going 100 km/h across the frame would barely cover 0.5 mm. So you could get a nice frozen shot and could count the spokes in the wheel.

I was really sorry to think that my N82 camera was dead.
And even sorrier to learn that there were no more N82s to be bought anywhere in Mumbai, not even in Nagpur.
Goodness, I must have gone to a dozen different areas, to check the shops.

Searched the web for a replacement cameraphone.
It had to be a Nokia with its mature Symbian OS.

I don't like touchscreen phones. 12 years ago, I had a Casio Cassiopeia running Windows CE 1.0. This had a touch screen and even software to let you scribble some drawings. Then 8 years ago, I had a touchscreen Palm Pilot with its Graffiti handwriting recognition software.
Some part of me still sees touchscreen phones as showy gimmicky gadgets -- no more.

So it had to be the new Nokia N86 8 megapixel camera phone.
It has a variable aperture Carl Zeiss Tessar optic.
And wide angle (equivalent to 28 mm on a 35 mm camera format)
Like the N82, it has GPS & A-GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth A2DP, ...

Extras are -- even a magnetometer compass and a good FM transmitter for my car stereo.

But it uses two LEDs as flash. No more Xenon flash!

When I was just going to go out and buy a black Nokia N86 8 megapixel cameraphone, this afternoon, pleasant serendipity struck!

The Nokia N82 fell out of my pocket and took another hard knock.
Wonder of wonders! The camera started working again!

So happy that the N82 has some more life left.

Ram
Old 28th August 2009, 18:12   #5167
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-can-i-do.html

Lucky you mate! My Nokia N82 got stolen on 26th August and as I think about the replacement phone my mind invariably goes back to the N82. Its such a good overall phone and worked like a charm as my gps device, my mp3 player and an impromptu 5 megapixel camera.

Can anyone suggest me a good Nokia phone for around 15k's. I am also getting a brand new N82 for 16k's.... I am thinking hard about it.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th August 2009 at 20:05. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post especially when its on same page, thanks
Old 28th August 2009, 18:16   #5168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
My wife's Nokia 6500 - Slider has conked off. The speaker and mic are not working properly.
I am using 6500 slider for the last one year. The phone gave me lot of troubles for first 3-4 months.
Old 28th August 2009, 19:09   #5169
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Go get the N82, if you still can

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
...and as I think about the replacement phone my mind invariably goes back to the N82. It's such a good overall phone and worked like a charm as my gps device, my mp3 player and an impromptu 5 megapixel camera. I am also getting a brand new N82 for 16k's.
If you can still get a brand new Nokia N82 for Rs. 15,750±250, go get it!
Before you know it, it won't be available anymore. The word is that Nokia has discontinued them.

Then the next option will be to buy a Nokia N86 for Rs. 24,900±400.
It has everything the N82 has,
plus 8 megapixel CZ Tessar, more sensitive CMOS retina, magnetometer compass, FM transmitter, A brilliant AMOLED 16 million colors display, charging from laptop USB port, scratch-resistant glass front, 8 GB internal storage, 434 MHz ARM 11 CPU
minus the Xenon flash.
Old 28th August 2009, 20:54   #5170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... minus the Xenon flash.
That's the killer, Ram. It is such a help in getting good pics in very low light that I am unable to think of another mobile! This is the closest to a P&S camera that I have seen on a mobile.
Old 28th August 2009, 22:02   #5171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
....2.36 inch screen IMHO is too small for a business phone....
True - but its not that bad for daily use -- only a bit restrictive when it comes to web browsing.

Check THIS out! The Nokia N900 !! 800x480 3.5" screen!!
(Nokia's iPhone 3GS Killer - same CPU, same clockspeed, same ram, etc)

More info:
Finding Maemo – the new Nokia N900 | Nokia Conversations
Nokia N900 vs. iPhone 3GS specs, side by side - because I couldn't find them, perhaps my Google-fu is broken : technology

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th August 2009 at 22:06.
Old 28th August 2009, 22:09   #5172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you can still get a brand new Nokia N82 for Rs. 15,750±250, go get it!
=========================
minus the Xenon flash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That's the killer, Ram. It is such a help in getting good pics in very low light that I am unable to think of another mobile! This is the closest to a P&S camera that I have seen on a mobile.
Avoid it. Friend bought one. Sold it after a week.Mobile had to be restarted after it gets stuck after taking pix etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
True - but its not that bad for daily use -- only a bit restrictive when it comes to web browsing.
===================
cya
R
Hail Linux !

Checked out Samsung Omnia PRO B7320. At 14k its great. Built quality is much better than E63.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th August 2009 at 23:50. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire large post and U tube links. Thanks
Old 29th August 2009, 14:15   #5173
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Avoid it. Friend bought one. Sold it after a week. Mobile had to be restarted after it gets stuck after taking pix etc.
May well be your friend is plain unlucky when it comes to electronics.

Otherwise, the number of people praising the old Nokia N82 is legion!

I have used mine without issues for 20 months until it had a bad fall to a concrete floor. Maybe the camera switch had come misaligned. And now another fall later, the phone has miraculously righted itself.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-nokia82internals.jpg
Old 30th August 2009, 02:56   #5174
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have been planning to move to a BlackBerry. The mobile store guys are ready to pay 4K for my E51. It is has slight scratches on the screen (the usual ones caused by normal usage) otherwise in perfect condition. Is the price okay?
Old 30th August 2009, 13:12   #5175
BHPian

Was looking for a new phone after my kid chewed my SE-K750i. I went in for Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. IMO, this phone has everything that I needed.

The features that I absolutely wanted in my new phone-
WiFi (incl draft 802.11n)
GPS (can export GPS data to other devices using a free application)
Large (Touch)Screen
More stuff which came in as a bonus (Read: not in my priority list):-
Accelerometers

Came in with 90 days Nokia Maps. With turn by turn voice guidance, driving around in Chennai was a breeze (I had just moved to Chennai).

Remote Locking (should you lose your phone, just send in a message and phone gets locked up!! Use a software to utilise the feature and you can make the phone 'howl' in the theif's pocket - remotely.)

Plays Music too. Not my priority though Nokia is primarily marketing it as Music Phone - XpressMusic. A pretty good set of earphones though.

Came with a 8 GB microSD card.

Got a gift as well - A 100% Polyester T-shirt (to complement the Chennai heat) with Reebok tag in Kolkata Knight Riders' black and gold color. To me it dint appear worth more than 100 bucks although the salesperson said it was worth 900/- May be the cost of Reebok tag.

Can comfortably watch a movie on its widescreen on long trips. Has an offline mode so safe to use on flights.

Some 200 songs pre loaded. Dampener:- You need to get them activated at Nokia Service Center. Due to my work routine I am yet to reach them in time. So even after 3 months they are still lying dead in my phone.

3.5 mm audio jack, doubles up as TV out as well.

And the usual bluetooth,Camera, sound and video recorder, ability to call on other mobile phones land lines, sending SMS, etc

All this for under 20k, which i find a pretty good deal. Definitely an iPhone Killer which costs 32k+ and has only half the features.
What's not so good:-
Battery life, typically just one 'day' - 12 hours if you use all features. GPRS and GPS are biggest power hogs. Although if you do not use A-GPS, it lasts a little while longer.

Accelerometer thing gets moody at times. Rotates display sideways and you need to restart the phone to get it right.

Volume level during the calls is on lower side. Need to switch on the loudspeaker if in a little noisy environment and trade my privacy for little more clarity.

Music Apps You might have come across those music application ads that make you believe that one can play the guitar/drumset/piano etc on its touch screen. Its frustrating to say the least because the phone is not fast enough and the output comes only 2-3 seconds after you have touched the string/drum/key. So dont be fooled by those ads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks