Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 18:46   #4531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Nokia E63. Pretty much a carbon copy of the E71, but probably within your budget.
Nokia Europe - Nokia E63 - Products
Hey Pranav, thanks for that quickie pal. I had this one in mind too, but i also a couple of doubts:

GPS and navigation
  • Nokia Maps application
Now that to me says that i will need GPRS to get the GPS working on those maps right?

Also this has the 2mp cam with LED flash, which ain't that great either.

Like i said its a great option, but I'll probably keep it for last and await more options.
Old 12th April 2009, 20:48   #4532
Senior - BHPian

Zenster: Don't think you need GPRS if you've preloaded the maps using the Nokia Maps application on your PC. About the cam, yeah. But the pics are quite good imo.
Old 12th April 2009, 20:50   #4533
BHPian

No zenster, the e63 doesn't have GPS and neither will you be able to use GPRS to get GPS. These are two entirely different things.

You will be able to browse nokia maps on your phone though, just don't expect turn by turn guidance as you drive along.

While your 15k budget is decent enough to get you a good phone, the number of phones in the market with a qwerty keypad is seriously limited.
If you leave out the qwerty keypad, go in for the n95 (old one)
all the features that you want. 5mp cam, gps, wifi, the works.

As an option, have you looked at windows mobile phones? You can get hold of an asus p320 for just around 10k. Apart from it's weak 2mp camera, it has everything going for it. You'll get wifi, GPS(sirf star III, the same chip used in dedicated GPS units), touchscreen and an extremely slim profile.

And with the right software keyboard(CooTek TouchPal), you will be typing faster than you could with a physical keyboard.

I can vouch for this as I own one, and find it to be an absolute blast to type on.
Old 12th April 2009, 21:00   #4534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
No zenster, the e63 doesn't have GPS and neither will you be able to use GPRS to get GPS. These are two entirely different things.

You will be able to browse nokia maps on your phone though, just don't expect turn by turn guidance as you drive along.

While your 15k budget is decent enough to get you a good phone, the number of phones in the market with a qwerty keypad is seriously limited.
If you leave out the qwerty keypad, go in for the n95 (old one)
all the features that you want. 5mp cam, gps, wifi, the works.

As an option, have you looked at windows mobile phones? You can get hold of an asus p320 for just around 10k. Apart from it's weak 2mp camera, it has everything going for it. You'll get wifi, GPS(sirf star III, the same chip used in dedicated GPS units), touchscreen and an extremely slim profile.

And with the right software keyboard(CooTek TouchPal), you will be typing faster than you could with a physical keyboard.

I can vouch for this as I own one, and find it to be an absolute blast to type on.
Hey D3mon, thanks for clearing the doubts and your suggestions. I am actually interested in the not so famous-brands which may be better VFM and Asus is one of them for sure. I had the p320 in mind too but there are quite a few people complaining too. Take a read if u get time:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ws-please.html

Now they all say its good value for money, but I was just wondering if there is a lot of compromise involved ??
Old 12th April 2009, 21:51   #4535
Senior - BHPian

HI Zenster

There is a dedicated thread for Mobile Phones - I think you will find a lot more answers there - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...-all-here.html

All the best!

Last edited by kb100 : 12th April 2009 at 21:53.
Old 12th April 2009, 22:37   #4536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey D3mon, thanks for clearing the doubts and your suggestions. I am actually interested in the not so famous-brands which may be better VFM and Asus is one of them for sure. I had the p320 in mind too but there are quite a few people complaining too. Take a read if u get time:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ws-please.html

Now they all say its good value for money, but I was just wondering if there is a lot of compromise involved ??
Well the only compromise you make is some speed.
Build is superb, looks great, GPS works great (i've got mapmyindia and it simply rocks). The maps work smoothly.

The reason why I bought this was that this is the only phone that offers both wifi and GPS at such a killer price. AFAIK, there is no windows mobile phone within 15k or even 17k that offers these two features.

I think the samsung i780 is a good buy too. It offers a physical keypad like you want, has gps and wifi and is reasonably priced too, AFAIK(around 18k). And it has a faster processor.

Or you could look at the motoming a1600 (GPS with preloaded maps and 3.2mp cam for arnd 14k I guess), but I think you would not want to go with the same looking interface again
Old 13th April 2009, 00:00   #4537
BHPian

@zenstar,
Since now you are considering P320, I suggest you stretch the budget by 2k more to get asus P527.Feature wise both are same but P527 comes with free Satnav maps(worth 2k itself) and has got full 3x4 keypad plus lots of extra shortcut buttons.
If you can live with P320,then P527 should satisfy you even more.
Before getting E63, I seriously considered P527,but lack of any 3G support put me off it.
Btw, E63 can be used for navigation with 3rd party bluetooth gps receivers retailing at 2.5K.
Old 13th April 2009, 00:18   #4538
BHPian

The p527 is a carbon copy of the p320 under the skin.

But, it's a LOT bulkier than the p320, and the buttons really make it look very ugly IMO. The pictures don't convey the same fact, and I suggest you look at one before buying it.

I still recommend that you go for p320. Maps can be purchased later. And the mapmyindia maps are a lot more accurate and detailed than the satguide maps (Preloaded with p527).

I've used both, and there's no going back to satguide once you have experienced mapmyindia.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:05   #4539
Team-BHP Support

Happy with my Asus P 527.
You can read more by searching this thread.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:54   #4540
Distinguished - BHPian

Any reviews on E75 or it's pricing?
Old 13th April 2009, 23:54   #4541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

HI man ,

Check this link out,
http://www.univercell.in/english/pag...roductId=27759

Priced at Rs22600 .
Old 14th April 2009, 10:45   #4542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This is meant to be a preview, but feels like a review:
Mobile-review.com Preview of UMTS-smartphone Nokia E75
Old 14th April 2009, 11:23   #4543
BHPian

Any idea on by when E75 will hit the stores or has it already hit the stores.

What do you guys think will be a better buy. E71 or E75?
Old 14th April 2009, 11:59   #4544
Senior - BHPian

Zenster dude being an old user of the Ming, i can understand your feelings about it nice phone, loved the cool factor associated with it but yes the sound level and the camera just put me off.

Anyways currently Motorola are clearing up a few of their old models and you can pick up a Motorola Q9h for Rs.9990 full sealed box with two chargers,one portable travel charger,1GB card,Stereo headset and data cable.

Moto Q9h:
Windows Mobile 6
256MB ROM
96MB RAM
325MHz Processor
Dual Speakers [Sound is amazing in both clarity and volume]
QWERTY
2MP Cam with LED Flash
And last but definitely not the least it is 3G enabled!

For that price however way you look at it, it is an amazing buy
Old 14th April 2009, 12:10   #4545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Any idea on by when E75 will hit the stores or has it already hit the stores.

What do you guys think will be a better buy. E71 or E75?
I use E63 and keypad is cramped.So is the E71.
So, if texting/mailing is your priority go for E75.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks