Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2006, 08:26   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Ambylimo,
there is a new Moto Razr V3i launched. It has a 1.23MP camera with expandable memory.
I too am in love with the phone. Specially in Black.
It's around 10K here in the gray market.
the 10k price u said is for v3 na,not v3i no?any idea abt the v3i pricing?or it's launch date?
Old 11th January 2006, 12:47   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

The 10K is for the V3 Bro not the V3i.
V3i not out here yet. Wll take some time. Remember reading about itin some Sinapore Gadget mag.
Old 11th January 2006, 13:18   #423
BHPian

Hey Guys I'm looking forward to buying a V3 in Black can somebody tell me if the cheapest place to pick one with warranty though ?? The cheapest quote I've got is 11.5 is there a place to buy one cheaper than this price??
Old 11th January 2006, 13:42   #424
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

guys planning to buy a SE k750i..this is the best time to buy ..they are giving a external flash free with the package for a limited time,and the pictures taken using the external flash are amazingly crisp and clear..
check out this link for the pictures. http://www.gsmarena.com/review.php3?...ew=46&idPage=2
Old 11th January 2006, 14:31   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Arre bhai more bang for the buck is ok if you want to hear that bang. I mean, i probably wont be using all the extra features that will come in a smartphone, over a normal cellphone. So even though i may get a lot more by putting in a little more, but then most of it will go waste if i dont use it. right kya?
What did i know?? hehe
Finally ended up buying p910i.
Still trying to figure out what to do with it. Downloaded a few games and a chat client though.
Old 12th January 2006, 03:33   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey CW,
i think 11.5 with warranty is one of the best deals one can get in Mumbai.
Anyways guys,
here is my nokia 6630 review -
a first on Team BHP

[img=http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1909/nokia6630ff9697f535bf913zj.jpg]

A Bit about it –

Bought – July 2005
Cost Then – INR 14,700
Cost Now – INR 12,000 (Apprx.)
Upgrade From – Nokia 6230
Reason For Purchase – Easier to use, better features
Such as a 1.3 MP camera etc.
Rivals – Current – Nokia 6230i, Motorola Razor V3i, Nokia 6670 Smart Phone, Nokia 3230.
Then – Nokia 6670 Smart Phone
Color – Silver
Warranty – 1 year Local Warranty
Accessories – 512mb Reduced Size Multimedia Card (RS-MMC)

Feel and Ease of Use, Build Quality –
The phone is made of High Quality recycle-able ABS plastic which gives it a premium quality feel. The Keypad too is made of high quality plastic and in comparison to my old phone, it is much nicer to use however, the size of the keys is a bit on the smaller side resulting in me pressing the wrong buttons at times.
The phone has withstood a lot of punishment from my side and the body has held up quite well to the falls and my fidgeting with it. The only sign of abuse are the rear cover, which has become a bit loose and some color fading off on the top right edge. Quite good in comparison to the S.E T610 and Motorola Razor V3, which were quite delicate, and all it took was one fall to get the screen or something conking off.

Screen and Camera –
The phone has a 176 * 208 pixel color display screen which can show 65536 colors. The screen is in itself quite huge and the display is nothing sort of terrific. Other phones, mainly PDA’s have a similar display but a larger display and thus for some reason, they don’t have the same clarity.
The fantastic screen is mated to a 1.3 MP camera, which was by far the best in mobile business as the time I bought this phone. The Camera has an adjustable resolution of 1280 * 960 or 640 * 480 pixels. It also has 6x digital zoom, which is really quite useful. It, however, does not come with a flash. Night mode is also quite poor when used in the night and when viewed on the computer the images taken by night mode are always shaky no matter how still one tries to be.
Here is an example of a photo taken in night mode –

Here is another picture taken during the day –

The Phone also has 60-minute Video capability using the RS MMC (64 MB). The video has a resolution of 174 * 144 pixels and a 3GP video format. The Video’s are quite good as is clarity of sound but as the zooming happens in stages, it can get quite frustrating. The zooming by stage also only happens in video mode and not in image mode, unlike the Nokia 3230.
Speaker and Tones
When speaking to someone on the phone, the handset volume and clarity is really very good. Infact so good that I generally keep it to a minimum volume which is quite good for my daily needs. The loud speaker however is quite the opposite and to get the work done, I generally have to keep it on full blast and even then it is a bit diffcult to hear.
This however changes when listening to music or when receiving a call/message as the polyphonic/music/message tone is quite loud though a bit on the soft side in comparision to my old phone.
One thing I appreciate in these new phones is that I can keep my favorite song as my ringtone provided it’s been uploaded on to the phone.
Battery Life –
The Li-ion 900 mAh silver coloured battery is quite small and doesn’t seem befitting a phone like this. However it offers a 3 hour talktime and a 180 hours standby time which is quite average for such mobiles. I generally have to charge it once in 2 days which is acceptable.

Memory –
The phone comes with an inbuilt memory of 10 MB which is, to be honest, quite poor. It’s only saving grace is that Nokia offers a 64 MB RS-MMC as standard which is greatly needed.
The 64 MB RS-MMC can be expandable all the way up to 1 GB however a 1 GB card slows down the phone tremendously and therefore a 512 MB card is recommended.
The location of the RS-MMC slot is quite poor and it is easy for someone to steal the memory card as I found out when my 512 MB card was stolen.

Mass Customisation –
One good thing about almost all Nokia Handsets is that they can be easily customized.
In and around Mumbai fake covers of different quality and colours and designs are easily available as are matching keypads and jewel finish keypads. Nokia however doesn’t offer many colour options for its covers with the silver being it’s only colour.
Nokia however, does offer enhancements like Bluetooth headsets and music stands and car kits compromising of a charger and a wireless connection to a speaker fitted on the car.
Ergonomics –
Ergonomically, this phone is a mess. In comparision to one of my older phones, the Nokia 6100, this phone doesn’t fit into my hand quite the way the N6100 did. The phone is quite bulky to carry around and the small keys are forever in each other’s way.

To Sum up, I am quite happy with this phone and I am sure it will provide me with reliable service for the next few months until something new comes out in the market promising a better blend of form and function for a relatively affordable price.

Please let me know how it is. Thanks.
Cheers
Old 12th January 2006, 03:34   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey CW,
i think 11.5 with warranty is one of the best deals one can get in Mumbai.
Anyways guys,
here is my nokia 6630 review -
a first on Team BHP

[img=http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1909/nokia6630ff9697f535bf913zj.jpg]

A Bit about it –

Bought – July 2005
Cost Then – INR 14,700
Cost Now – INR 12,000 (Apprx.)
Upgrade From – Nokia 6230
Reason For Purchase – Easier to use, better features
Such as a 1.3 MP camera etc.
Rivals – Current – Nokia 6230i, Motorola Razor V3i, Nokia 6670 Smart Phone, Nokia 3230.
Then – Nokia 6670 Smart Phone
Color – Silver
Warranty – 1 year Local Warranty
Accessories – 512mb Reduced Size Multimedia Card (RS-MMC)

Feel and Ease of Use, Build Quality –
The phone is made of High Quality recycle-able ABS plastic which gives it a premium quality feel. The Keypad too is made of high quality plastic and in comparison to my old phone, it is much nicer to use however, the size of the keys is a bit on the smaller side resulting in me pressing the wrong buttons at times.
The phone has withstood a lot of punishment from my side and the body has held up quite well to the falls and my fidgeting with it. The only sign of abuse are the rear cover, which has become a bit loose and some color fading off on the top right edge. Quite good in comparison to the S.E T610 and Motorola Razor V3, which were quite delicate, and all it took was one fall to get the screen or something conking off.

Screen and Camera –
The phone has a 176 * 208 pixel color display screen which can show 65536 colors. The screen is in itself quite huge and the display is nothing sort of terrific. Other phones, mainly PDA’s have a similar display but a larger display and thus for some reason, they don’t have the same clarity.
The fantastic screen is mated to a 1.3 MP camera, which was by far the best in mobile business as the time I bought this phone. The Camera has an adjustable resolution of 1280 * 960 or 640 * 480 pixels. It also has 6x digital zoom, which is really quite useful. It, however, does not come with a flash. Night mode is also quite poor when used in the night and when viewed on the computer the images taken by night mode are always shaky no matter how still one tries to be.
Here is an example of a photo taken in night mode –

Here is another picture taken during the day –

The Phone also has 60-minute Video capability using the RS MMC (64 MB). The video has a resolution of 174 * 144 pixels and a 3GP video format. The Video’s are quite good as is clarity of sound but as the zooming happens in stages, it can get quite frustrating. The zooming by stage also only happens in video mode and not in image mode, unlike the Nokia 3230.
Speaker and Tones
When speaking to someone on the phone, the handset volume and clarity is really very good. Infact so good that I generally keep it to a minimum volume which is quite good for my daily needs. The loud speaker however is quite the opposite and to get the work done, I generally have to keep it on full blast and even then it is a bit diffcult to hear.
This however changes when listening to music or when receiving a call/message as the polyphonic/music/message tone is quite loud though a bit on the soft side in comparision to my old phone.
One thing I appreciate in these new phones is that I can keep my favorite song as my ringtone provided it’s been uploaded on to the phone.
Battery Life –
The Li-ion 900 mAh silver coloured battery is quite small and doesn’t seem befitting a phone like this. However it offers a 3 hour talktime and a 180 hours standby time which is quite average for such mobiles. I generally have to charge it once in 2 days which is acceptable.

Memory –
The phone comes with an inbuilt memory of 10 MB which is, to be honest, quite poor. It’s only saving grace is that Nokia offers a 64 MB RS-MMC as standard which is greatly needed.
The 64 MB RS-MMC can be expandable all the way up to 1 GB however a 1 GB card slows down the phone tremendously and therefore a 512 MB card is recommended.
The location of the RS-MMC slot is quite poor and it is easy for someone to steal the memory card as I found out when my 512 MB card was stolen.

Mass Customisation –
One good thing about almost all Nokia Handsets is that they can be easily customized.
In and around Mumbai fake covers of different quality and colours and designs are easily available as are matching keypads and jewel finish keypads. Nokia however doesn’t offer many colour options for its covers with the silver being it’s only colour.
Nokia however, does offer enhancements like Bluetooth headsets and music stands and car kits compromising of a charger and a wireless connection to a speaker fitted on the car.
Ergonomics –
Ergonomically, this phone is a mess. In comparision to one of my older phones, the Nokia 6100, this phone doesn’t fit into my hand quite the way the N6100 did. The phone is quite bulky to carry around and the small keys are forever in each other’s way.

To Sum up, I am quite happy with this phone and I am sure it will provide me with reliable service for the next few months until something new comes out in the market promising a better blend of form and function for a relatively affordable price.

Please let me know how it is. Thanks.
Cheers
Old 12th January 2006, 05:07   #428
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel very dejected on the thought that Indians are still not buying smartphones.

A 2mp camera should not be the decision making factor.
nor should the brand name be.

a wifi should be
a 16k screen should be
A music player with stereo speakers should be.

some of the non-smartphones for the basic geeks

camera sharp 903 (only phone with 3.2mp with the optical zoom)
sharp 902 ferrari edition (similar quality to sonyericssson but with ferrari logo)

music alcatel s-853 (only phone with 2.1 surround built in and a remote control)

some smartphones

xda2i
xda atom
xda 3
e680i
nokia 6630
A780
treo 650

I am currently on the lookout for

1. linux smarthphone with wi-fi and built-in harddrive. My waiting period is until march when motorola is going to release my baby.
Old 12th January 2006, 06:01   #429
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I think generally they count the phone likes as smartphones
and the XDA IIi or XDA atom as pocket PCs.

I haven't really seen XDA III you mention about! is it here in India?

I have a XDA II Mini .. think its a good one.
Old 12th January 2006, 06:24   #430
BHPian

i dont knw y sme1 wud wanna have n-gage ...its not a phone bt only a smart gag powered by good enuf graphics card to play games ...n thts it..its in line with PSP..i think NOKIA has let slip a trick or two by launchin essentially a gamin device than a phone...most wud differ by saying that its multipurpose instrument bt ever imagined how inocuous it is to talk to ...it like holdin a brick..
Old 12th January 2006, 06:44   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
I think generally they count the phone likes as smartphones
and the XDA IIi or XDA atom as pocket PCs.

I haven't really seen XDA III you mention about! is it here in India?

I have a XDA II Mini .. think its a good one.

a smartphone is the one that has an operating installed.

phones with linux,windows,symbian and palm are therefore known as smartphones.

some linux phones

motorola A780
motorola E680i
siemens sxg75
haier N60
motorola A910

some windows phones

sagem My-s-7
motorola mpx200/220
most o2 phones(not all) and all pda's
Imate phones and pda's
treo 700w
siemens sx66

some palm phones

qool pda
treo650
treo 600

some symbian phones

p910
n-gage
motorola A1000
siemens sx1

xda-iii is probably reffered to as Xda-2s. Please confirm.
Old 12th January 2006, 10:35   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
buddy Nokia is number1 just because of its sales in India and now Europe(taking siemens place). Its not a leader in N.america or SouthEast either.

SIemens phones take more punishment than nokias. Nokias are only famous in India.

SIemens sx1 available for sale in INdia until last month was available for 8700 and also had an excellent mp3 player, radio,symbian, external hotswap card and fullscreen video player.

Now beat that. Nokia sucks because they dont innovate. Symbian is old now. Symbian 9.0 is nothin but a copy of windows mobile.

and most of the people here will agree that a good phone is not judged by its resale value.
dude there were some serious issues with siemens Sx1 reliability and it wasnt selling.... that why they reduced the price to 8700 (when i enquired abt it, it was for 18,700 Rs without a memory card)... even the BMW bike they brought in india sold initially for 5 lakhs but due to dismal sales it sold for 1.75 lakhs before they shut the shop!
Ignorance is a bliss but not always.... Nokia has always been on the forefrunt of innovation atleast in India... with Bluetooth, Edge and 3G!
There is still not even a single smartphone from SE that is priced below 20k's... and i doubt if LG or samsung even have any smartphone in india... talk innovation!
Even nokia now has realized the limitations in the symbian platform and are changing to either linux or the windows platform.
And not for nothing, Nokia is still the world's largest cellphone maker and among top 10 brands in the world, by impact!

http://www.brandchannel.com/start1.asp?fa_id=248

Last edited by extreme_torque : 12th January 2006 at 10:37.
Old 13th January 2006, 00:35   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
dude there were some serious issues with siemens Sx1 reliability and it wasnt selling.... that why they reduced the price to 8700 (when i enquired abt it, it was for 18,700 Rs without a memory card)... even the BMW bike they brought in india sold initially for 5 lakhs but due to dismal sales it sold for 1.75 lakhs before they shut the shop!
Ignorance is a bliss but not always.... Nokia has always been on the forefrunt of innovation atleast in India... with Bluetooth, Edge and 3G!
There is still not even a single smartphone from SE that is priced below 20k's... and i doubt if LG or samsung even have any smartphone in india... talk innovation!
Even nokia now has realized the limitations in the symbian platform and are changing to either linux or the windows platform.
And not for nothing, Nokia is still the world's largest cellphone maker and among top 10 brands in the world, by impact!

http://www.brandchannel.com/start1.asp?fa_id=248

dude I had my siemens sx1 for 8months. never has it crashed on me except some occasional blips in the the music player. I bought it for 24K when the 6600 was selling for 23K. So price was reduced with respect to competition and not because it was not selling.

Siemens sx1 O2 edition has been pretty popular along with the mclaren edition in Europe where it was the leader before it went down.

siemens sx1 and bmW did not sell because Indian culture still believes in Following the trend which these companies where not able to understand.

Sx1 had an innovative design and bmw the first sportsbike above 500cc in its time.

Nokia has never been on the forefront of innovation anywhere. bluetooth first came in ericsson t68i. Ericsson is also the innovator of bluetooth.

3g was brought by nokia before time because their 7600 was a super flop in Europe and they had excess stock. They unloaded the stock and 3g was spooooooof....... gone. the first actual working 3g phone was motorola A1000 alongwith 3 in Europe.

the first megapixel camera In India was brought by nokia though. That was due to the reason that in a market where NOkia commands more than 50% no other company even as large as motorola and SOnyericsson dare to bring a new product. But in the world the first megapixel phone was siemens s65.

the first slider phone was siemens, the first jod dial phone was ericsson, The first smartphone was a motorola, The first swivel phone was motorola. Nokia was never there at the top.

symbian platform doesnt have limitations at all. Ask the programmers and you will know. The reason its failing is due to Nokias regulations for other companies. Siemens sx1 didnt have a simple theme support (it used OS 6.1 against 6.2 that 6600 had) IT was because siemens was competing nokia in its own market with a better product. Nokia crippled the phone with an older OS. Same goes for sendo X which 3 dedicated cpu's (yamaha sonix sound processor, a display cpu and the actual phone cpu) but even sendo had to do with OS 6.0 which crippled performance even with such powerful cpu's

NOkia sucks big time. No doubt even I like some of its phones though like

Nokia 7650, ngage, 6230 and 8800
Old 20th January 2006, 12:33   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
dude I had my siemens sx1 for 8months. never has it crashed on me except some occasional blips in the the music player. I bought it for 24K when the 6600 was selling for 23K. So price was reduced with respect to competition and not because it was not selling.

Siemens sx1 O2 edition has been pretty popular along with the mclaren edition in Europe where it was the leader before it went down.

siemens sx1 and bmW did not sell because Indian culture still believes in Following the trend which these companies where not able to understand.

Sx1 had an innovative design and bmw the first sportsbike above 500cc in its time.

Nokia has never been on the forefront of innovation anywhere. bluetooth first came in ericsson t68i. Ericsson is also the innovator of bluetooth.

3g was brought by nokia before time because their 7600 was a super flop in Europe and they had excess stock. They unloaded the stock and 3g was spooooooof....... gone. the first actual working 3g phone was motorola A1000 alongwith 3 in Europe.

the first megapixel camera In India was brought by nokia though. That was due to the reason that in a market where NOkia commands more than 50% no other company even as large as motorola and SOnyericsson dare to bring a new product. But in the world the first megapixel phone was siemens s65.

the first slider phone was siemens, the first jod dial phone was ericsson, The first smartphone was a motorola, The first swivel phone was motorola. Nokia was never there at the top.

symbian platform doesnt have limitations at all. Ask the programmers and you will know. The reason its failing is due to Nokias regulations for other companies. Siemens sx1 didnt have a simple theme support (it used OS 6.1 against 6.2 that 6600 had) IT was because siemens was competing nokia in its own market with a better product. Nokia crippled the phone with an older OS. Same goes for sendo X which 3 dedicated cpu's (yamaha sonix sound processor, a display cpu and the actual phone cpu) but even sendo had to do with OS 6.0 which crippled performance even with such powerful cpu's

NOkia sucks big time. No doubt even I like some of its phones though like

Nokia 7650, ngage, 6230 and 8800
hmmm u r the only person that i have come accross having Sx1!
Bluetooth first came in a Nokia phone (i dont remember the model no), it was this slim, long, silver phone with a monochrome screen!
Talking abt innovations, atleast in india, Nokia has been the front runner... the first 3G phone in india was the 6630. The first 3G smartphone with a cam in front is 6680.
First gaming mobile phone was Nokia N-Gage.
First phone with edge was also a nokia.
Old 20th January 2006, 19:32   #435

Hey devarshi,
Since u were talking about smartphones,I just wanted to know if the sony ericsson 910i,900,w600i & w800i fell into this category....
I'm going to buy one of these very soon...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks