Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 14:10   #4201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
F50 i'm this close to buying a Red E63... post a review please !!! how easy is it to type an SMS on e63? battery life i hear is stellar
Yes, eagerly waiting for your initial review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I just bought a Nokia 5310 Xpress Music. I am facing a strange problem in activating Vodafone Live on it. As per the instructions, I sent out an SMS 'ACT VLZERO' to 111 (the zero rental pay-per-use plan for Mumbai Post paid users). I get a confirmation that GPRS would be activated within 48 hours.

Then I send out an SMS 'VL' to 52586 to recieve the settings. Now I get a reply saying that 'GPRS settings are not available as the phone type is not supported'.

Calls to Vodafone CC confirmed that these 2 SMSs are to be sent out in order to activate GPRS. They also confirm that 5310 is GPRS enabled. However, they are not able to figure out why its not getting activated.

I had the same problem with my previous phone, 6300 (same OS - Symbian S40). With it I was able to use data based applications such as Gmail and ngpay but was unable to browse. I thought it might be locked for data (or something like that), since I had purchased it from Dubai.

I took that to a Vodafone Store and they said that Zero rental plan WILL NOT WORK (as it is the Basic GPRS plan) and that I have to activate the Advanced GPRS plan which has a monthly rental of Rs 49. As always, they were clueless about the reasoning for the same. I still have to visit Vodafone Store for the 5310, but I pretty much assume they will have no answer for it.

Any clue why this is happening? S40 is tedious to work around with, after having S60 for over 2 years now.
Any answers to this one?
Old 8th January 2009, 14:16   #4202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Congrats, but Touch Pro is newer & better/improved.
Link:Compare India

This comparo might not be spot on, but you'll get the picture.
I dont care what those guys say - I've used both for long enough periods to state that the Tytn II is better, though bigger. It also lacks the touch-flo interface which I am sure can be ported on with some help from xda-developers.com

However this is my personal opinion after about 6-8 months on the TytnII and current use of the Touch Pro since launch.
Old 8th January 2009, 23:12   #4203
aZa
Senior - BHPian

nishant i think its just about settings on the handset. Why not try manual settings /? vodafone site has the settings i think. or just copy it from another vodafone gprs fone.
Old 8th January 2009, 23:14   #4204
Senior - BHPian

I just bought my first Enterprise phone yesterday - A Nokia E51. How do I do multitasking on the same? I remember reading something in the manual but now unable to locate that particular stanza. How do I operate various applications at the same time and switch between them?
Old 8th January 2009, 23:30   #4205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nishant i think its just about settings on the handset. Why not try manual settings /? vodafone site has the settings i think. or just copy it from another vodafone gprs fone.
Thats the thing man. I am not able to locate the manual settings input thingy in S40. Vodafone guys are unable to help.

Any 5310/S40 users here who an provide help?
Old 8th January 2009, 23:40   #4206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I just bought my first Enterprise phone yesterday - A Nokia E51. How do I do multitasking on the same? I remember reading something in the manual but now unable to locate that particular stanza. How do I operate various applications at the same time and switch between them?
Hay mate!
Press and hold the menu button for a few sec's and a pop up will appeare on the top left side of your screen !

Cheers !
Old 8th January 2009, 23:41   #4207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I've been using my Nokia E51 since an year and I do not have any issues with it. Now, that since I lost the phone today morning, I need to look for another phone. I'm contemplating on E71. Is Nokia E71 better than any Windows Mobile operated phone in that price range? If not, can anyone suggest equivalent phone in Windows Mobile family around 20K. I need to finalize this at the earliest. Thanks in advance.
Guys, I need your help in choosing between E71 or an equally priced/featured windows mobile phone. Pl. let me know ASAP as I need to buy one on Friday(10th Jan). E71 or Which Windows phone...??

Last edited by vvrchandra : 8th January 2009 at 23:42.
Old 9th January 2009, 00:46   #4208
BHPian

congrats on buyingthe E51.. i personally love almost all the % series phone.. anyways for multitasking.. u need to open any application.. then while the application is on, press the menu button( The one That opens up the Menu). The will open up the menu for you select and open a new application and at the same time minimises your previous application. you can now open multiple application at the same time using the same methos.

Warning : Having too many open application might resulty in slow performance of your phone.

Now to switch between application : Press the menu button for a longer period ( 2 -3 second) this is open up a small screen on the side of you screen showing all the application which are open. Now simply use your directional keys to navigate to application and press select. You can even choose to close an application from this screen itself. simply by pressing the "c" button after selecting the application.

Hope this helps.
Old 9th January 2009, 01:02   #4209
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Does the E63 come with WiFi? Any other colors apart from red and blue in E63?
Quote:
F50 i'm this close to buying a Red E63... post a review please !!! how easy is it to type an SMS on e63? battery life i hear is stellar
Oops. I forgot to check this thread.
Yes, E63 has wifi.

I didnt have time to check the whole phone give me a day I ll come back with a small review.

Anyways, my initial impression:
1) E63 is called small brother of E71. E71 has its own feel and finish, the steel body, they grey color etc. While E63 is plastic body,which feels very nice to hold, it has only two colors - Red & Blue. I loved the blue and hence bought that. I feel red looks a bit girlish so anyone buying red just hold both the colors and decide.

2) Qwerty is better than E71, the keys are a tad bigger. 99% of my finger land on the right key.

3) Sad Cam - 2.0 MP Cam is no good though it has LED Flash. So dont expect to get good quality pics.

4) Quick - Same processor as E71, its quite fast.

5) VFM - For 14k this is a great phone. It has a qwerty keypad, wifi, cam, radio, music player, Nokia Maps(no GPS), best of all 11 hrs of talktime! Perfect phone for the guys who has only two things to do whole day - Text & Talk! They wont be disappointed.
Dont call E63 a downgrade version of E71!
Old 9th January 2009, 08:38   #4210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys, I need your help in choosing between E71 or an equally priced/featured windows mobile phone. Pl. let me know ASAP as I need to buy one on Friday(10th Jan). E71 or Which Windows phone...??
Go for E71. Its a brilliant phone and I am quite happy with it .
Old 9th January 2009, 09:13   #4211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post

Hope this helps.
Thanks a ton Sinner. It did help me.
Old 9th January 2009, 13:39   #4212
Senior - BHPian

hello Guys
I use a nokia n82 silver edition..
i recently tried to update to the latest firmware 30.0.0.16(i think) but all of a sudden during the update process something went wrong and my phone got bricked.I was still under warranty so i went to a nokia care in RT nagar bangalore called shilak.They took in the phone after a day i go there the guy at the service desk says your screen has got spoiled because you dropped it i said its under warranty so replace it then.. he then said your phone's warranty has been void due to waterlogging (i swear in my life i never dropped the phone in water or took it near water)then i go to the place where i bought the phone
Univercell in Hebbal.. he sends the phone again to shilak they gave excuses and said they cant repair it.Then i requested him to send it to another nokia care..so he did to the yeshwanthpur care centre.They quoted me an estimate of 3000+Rs for the repair and will take more than a month saying it has to go to chennai for repair etc etc.I then told the univercell guy to get my cell back.
Was near the brigade road area saw a small cell phone shop i gave him my phone he flashed it in 3 hours for 500 bucks.

Im writing this cos i want to share my experience of the nokia service to all nokia cell phone owners in this forum.

Last edited by vinaydas : 9th January 2009 at 13:40.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:08   #4213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Was near the brigade road area saw a small cell phone shop i gave him my phone he flashed it in 3 hours for 500 bucks.

Im writing this cos i want to share my experience of the nokia service to all nokia cell phone owners in this forum.
Am not really surprised, the authorized service guys most of the time dont have a clue whats wrong, my wifee dropped her slider nokia phone and the screen went blur with mirror image showing up!! Service center said gone display blah blah etc and with the cost quoted, didnt bother much and went and picked a cheap phone for her.

I opened the phone during one of the weekends and found that the spring of the slider was touching one of the connectors. Fixed it and the phone is working fine

Total cost 70 bucks for a set of those special screw driver set.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:47   #4214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Where is that small cell phone shop you are referring here ? You could locate it in connection to the building or brand next to it. My wife had many issues with her Nokia phone, we tried all the places and atlast disposed off the phone by buying a new one on exchange. Thanks.

Last edited by shajufx : 9th January 2009 at 15:49.
Old 10th January 2009, 18:38   #4215
BHPian

Can some suggest a phone with the following features...
-240*320 Screen resolution
-Memory card option or aleast 512mb built in memory
-CandyBar/Slide design
-PIM features

I am using samsung L700 right now, looking to upgrade to a phone with a better screen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks