Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2008, 20:57   #4111
Senior - BHPian

Im planning to sell my N72 . Was looking at the E71 but due to tight budget thinking of settling with E51. Is E51 a good buy?? I need a decent business phone, good battery back up. Plan is to use E51 for few months and then opt for the E71 or any better model. Comments please.
Old 18th December 2008, 06:49   #4112
Senior - BHPian

Karan, wont it be a good idea to stick to N72 for a few months and then go for E71? You wont get much resale for E51.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:18   #4113
Senior - BHPian

@karanraheja, if you like the E71, why don't you look at the E63?

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-pic04.jpg
(Pic courtesy Mobile-review.com Все о мобильной технике и технологиях)

Mostly the same the phone at a much lower price. A few features are downgraded to cut the price, but it is very good value. I'm not completely sure if it is available here yet. There's a nice, detailed review here: Mobile-review.com Review of GSM/UMTS-smartphone Nokia E63
Old 18th December 2008, 11:18   #4114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Karan, wont it be a good idea to stick to N72 for a few months and then go for E71? You wont get much resale for E51.
Ron, Problem is my N72 is conked . I can use it for max 1 month. I think E 51 is around 11k and E 71 is 19.5 k. I would still prefer getting a E 71 but budget constraints.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:19   #4115

E51 is a very good phone. It does not have qwerty like E71 but one can type reasonably fast on it. I have used both these phones and can vouch for their excellence. Buy it
Old 18th December 2008, 11:41   #4116
Team-BHP Support

I just upgraded my HTC touch P3452 to windows mobile 6.1 with the new touchflo 2D. Initial impression is very good. The battery life has gone up and the speed is much better now.

Memory usage has gone up by 10% with no apps installed yet. The reception is very good now and in places where the signal is 1 stick you see 2 sticks now thanks to the new radio version.

touchflo 2D is pretty cool but customization is very limited now. The UI is much more touch friendly. The phot album now allows you to zoom in and out and browse through by a flick of your finger. if you swirl your finger in a circle on teh screen it zooms in and out.

Drawbacks that I miss.

- When you receive an incoming call there is no touch button to press to answer the call. You have to press the green answer key at the bottom.

- Before to bring the phone out of standby I could press the green answer key or the power button on top, now only the power button turns the screen on.

- The in call volume goes back to lowest setting for every call. You have to increase the volume everytime.

- Autoscroll is too sensitive. When you are exploring a folder a touch is enough to activate auto scroll. As a result if you press an icon to open it will scroll down instead of opening the program. Workaround I found is to double tap or keep it pressed.

Still trying to find a workaround for the first 3 drawbacks as they are kind of irritating me.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:57   #4117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
- Before to bring the phone out of standby I could press the green answer key or the power button on top, now only the power button turns the screen on.
I am not sure if your new ROM would have this support or not, but generally one can set this option in Settings->System->Keylock. If you have this on your phone, then set it to "Do not lock" option.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:57   #4118
Senior - BHPian

hey jassi,

what were the reasons that the e71 was considered bad, would like to know as we have plans to shift onto e71 pretty soon from the existing mixture of various phones that all the staff are currently using.
Old 18th December 2008, 12:46   #4119
Senior - BHPian

Karan - the E63 suggested by hydrashok makes sense. It just misses GPS & cam, but keeps the CPU, screen, and base features. Univercell has it available - but online its mentioned as 22K. Thats got to be an error as it should be below E71. Check it out.

If you are thinking of business like use - there's nothing like a QWERTY. Thats my only grudge against E51. You can also consider E61i - which i have used for sometime - as a biz phone is pretty good value at 15K.
Old 18th December 2008, 12:53   #4120
BHPian

Hi Aadix,

The E71 is a good business phone and I think the only phone in the nokia business stable to beat this is the E90. I would suggets you try it out once before deciding. I agree that it takes a day or two to get used to the keypad, but its pretty comfortable to type, specially with the spelling correction on.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:04   #4121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
I am not sure if your new ROM would have this support or not, but generally one can set this option in Settings->System->Keylock. If you have this on your phone, then set it to "Do not lock" option.
Nope it doesn't have that option in the new 6.1.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:54   #4122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

- The in call volume goes back to lowest setting for every call. You have to increase the volume everytime.
i think you will need to reflash, where did you get the OS from? Is it OE OS from HTC or a hacked version?
Old 18th December 2008, 15:52   #4123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i think you will need to reflash, where did you get the OS from? Is it OE OS from HTC or a hacked version?
It's the OE OS from HTC. All new touch's and the new touch viva come with this ROM out of the box.

All the 3 problems are known problems as per xda developers but I haven't found the solution.

Another quirk is the messaging style is threaded by default like gmail. I found a registry tweak for that to go back to old WinMo 6 style of messaging. Yet to try that out.

Auto scroll is nuisance but requires a lot of practice.

Quote:
- When you receive an incoming call there is no touch button to press to answer the call. You have to press the green answer key at the bottom.

These are the most irritating for me, especially while driving.
Old 18th December 2008, 18:19   #4124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@karanraheja, if you like the E71, why don't you look at the E63?
Anup, Thanks for the link. Well i somehow dont like the colour options in E 63- Only Blue & Maroon. Anyways will give it a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay sarin View Post
E51 is a very good phone. It does not have qwerty like E71 but one can type reasonably fast on it. I have used both these phones and can vouch for their excellence. Buy it
Yup if i get the E51 i would only regret the big screen and the QWERTY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Karan - the E63 suggested by hydrashok makes sense. It just misses GPS & cam, but keeps the CPU, screen, and base features. Univercell has it available - but online its mentioned as 22K. Thats got to be an error as it should be below E71. Check it out.

If you are thinking of business like use - there's nothing like a QWERTY. Thats my only grudge against E51. You can also consider E61i - which i have used for sometime - as a biz phone is pretty good value at 15K.
Ron, E61i is been around for quite sometime so better to go for a newer model. I shall add E 63 to the list too. Lets see. I think E 63 should atleast be 2-3 k cheaper than E 71 .
Old 18th December 2008, 19:02   #4125
BHPian

So I finally pulled the trigger on the bold. Played with a friend's phone for a bit and liked it. The fact that the E71 was out of stock with no confirmed availability sealed the deal for me. Now to convince myself to carry that "brick" everyday!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks