Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 20:25   #4096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
I basically need a phone that would keep checking my gmail and would provide me with a platform for email/surfing when I am away from home. My cellphone provider is pushing blackberrys big time (I can get a BB curve for free) but E71 is like an afterthought.
e71 is our corporate phone alongside the samsung blackjack windows mobile - although i opted for the samsung blackjack, theres a huge number of people who chose e71 (bcos of nokia name) and the feedback from most people it is utter waste. This is feedback coming from 80,000 users in a global company. We were on treos before e71/blackjack and are now moving at a corporate level to blackberry (to replace e71 and samsung). Iphones failed our corporate tests, but have a good UI and if you just need gmail support, the iphone is good. Apart from the UI though the phones is overpriced and lacks any decent features other than fancy UI.

However if you do have an option of a good windows mobile like htc diamond from your SP, go for it. I use the htc diamond extensively as a car phone, for gmail, gps and in-car audio/video. Besides MS voice commander is pretty good and the phone reads out your messages, emails, etc on the car speakers when driving. Pretty good user experience on this phone and kicks an iphone any day.

If windows mobile is not your piece of cake, and you can't find a good windows mobile with a decent keyboard (htc and samsung have plenty) then yeah go for the blackberry.
Old 12th December 2008, 22:14   #4097
BHPian

Thanks Jassi!
Just checked the BB options I can avail. The BIS mail support looks pretty cool. Thats precisely what I need! If I can get an email pushed from gmail, it serves my purpose just right. And apparently, there's the new BB (Curve 8900) that has just come out. Smaller than bold with a better screen but no 3G. Have to check the pricing on this.
Old 12th December 2008, 23:04   #4098
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone direct me to a good link which tell me how to go about unlocking wimo devices? I searched the XDA site and was not able to find any relevant information.
Old 13th December 2008, 17:51   #4099
BHPian

@extreme torque, xda-developers is usually good for htc devices.
Which exact handset is it that needs unlocking?
Old 13th December 2008, 19:13   #4100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
And apparently, there's the new BB (Curve 8900) that has just come out. Smaller than bold with a better screen but no 3G.
Curve 8900 has a better screen @ 480x360, but a slower processor compared to Bold 9000. I love my Bold for that snappy 624 Mhz processor. Bold is a little bulky though. 8900 also got a better camera @ 3.2MP.

Mohit - going back to the original statement - since you aren't that interested in mails, you will have better options elsewhere compared to BB stable. Any good deals with Storm?
Old 13th December 2008, 20:47   #4101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Curve 8900 has a better screen @ 480x360, but a slower processor compared to Bold 9000. I love my Bold for that snappy 624 Mhz processor. Bold is a little bulky though. 8900 also got a better camera @ 3.2MP.

Mohit - going back to the original statement - since you aren't that interested in mails, you will have better options elsewhere compared to BB stable. Any good deals with Storm?
Storm is not coming to Canada on GSM for now. Just CDMA. Priced in line with IPhone.

Well I am interested in mails but thats not the only thing. I need it for browsing and email. Still looking!
Old 14th December 2008, 03:55   #4102
Senior - BHPian

My Samsung Omnia was surprisingly unlocked but vodafone branded. I have now reflashed it with another ROM and it a unbranded now yay!

If any one needs help in unbranding or unlocking an Omnia, just gimme a message.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:43   #4103
Senior - BHPian

Got my xperia today. Have been using it since morning. All I can say it is MIND BLOWING !! I have not seen a more advanced phone ever.

Speed wise, Battery, typing & GPS works flawlessly.

Anyone thinking of a high end. Don't look beyond this one
Old 16th December 2008, 17:26   #4104
Senior - BHPian

@vkochar - congrats - that's prob the top model in smartphones now. 800x480 sounds yummy. how's the battery life & processor speed?
Old 16th December 2008, 22:31   #4105
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is the top phone right now, In fact the most expensive one in the market ( keeping aside the Vertu )

The phone is a real smashing one.

Battery life is brilliant !! I have been fooling around the whole day ( wifi, songs etc ) and it's gone down by 20 % only ).

Processor speed is FAST. Trust me, it is quite a rocking phone.

The only thing I need to figure out is the GPS or A-GPS, how it works Free. I think with the Xperia I have a 3 month free on WAYFINDER. Can anyone help me on any other options ?
Old 16th December 2008, 22:35   #4106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Yes it is the top phone right now, In fact the most expensive one in the market ( keeping aside the Vertu )

The phone is a real smashing one.

Battery life is brilliant !! I have been fooling around the whole day ( wifi, songs etc ) and it's gone down by 20 % only ).

Processor speed is FAST. Trust me, it is quite a rocking phone.

The only thing I need to figure out is the GPS or A-GPS, how it works Free. I think with the Xperia I have a 3 month free on WAYFINDER. Can anyone help me on any other options ?
If you can do with google maps, then have a look at Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!
Old 17th December 2008, 11:44   #4107
BHPian

any idea when Nokia 5800 will be available in markets??

have been waiting for long now :(
Old 17th December 2008, 16:57   #4108
BHPian

Me too...

If I get any update I will post here.

BTW it is available in grey (w/o warranty) at Alfa Mumbai for around 25k.

Not worth it when new iphones are retailing at 28k.

So my suggestion wait for it and get a legit piece at around 20-22k(promised price from Nokia)
Old 17th December 2008, 17:05   #4109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
Me too...

If I get any update I will post here.

BTW it is available in grey (w/o warranty) at Alfa Mumbai for around 25k.

Not worth it when new iphones are retailing at 28k.

So my suggestion wait for it and get a legit piece at around 20-22k(promised price from Nokia)

Apple reduced the price of iphones in india or u r taking about the grey market price in mumbai??
Old 17th December 2008, 20:49   #4110
BHPian

I am referring to the vodafone iphone prices.

I recall seeing that on Techenclave

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks