Senior - BHPian

How is Nokia N79 ?
Any Reviews ?
Old 27th October 2008, 22:27   #3962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Hello Guys,
I am planning to buy a Black berry or an equivalent during the ThanksGiving.

My requirements are the following:
1. Even if i buy in US, i should be able to bring it to India and make use of it (mail purpose of buying it).
2. email service -- must
3. multimedia -- prefered
4. compactness -- preferred
5. GPS -- must
6. Cost -- 250$

Kindly suggest the options i have for the above.

Regards
Pramod
I found the mobiles to be quite expensive in the US. Most people in US buy the mobiles from the service providers, and they are locked to them. These are real cheap (like a iphone for 150$ or so). But buying a phone that is not clocked to Service provider may be quite expensive. So, you may want to really check if it is worth it, while the same mobile may be in India for lesser (and also ease of warranty).

As long as you buy a quad bad GSM phone which is "unlocked", you should be able to use it in India. If you go for a tri-band phone you will need to check if the same frequencies work in India or not.

The other tricky option is to buy a phone off ebay which is locked to a service provider and then unlock it yourself via some software. I know a friend who did that with the iphone, but then iphone is a very popular model and a lot of these tools are available. Not sure about other phones.
Old 27th October 2008, 22:43   #3963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Steer, between HTC Tytn II and Touch Pro, what are the main differences and which one do you recommend?
I would recommend the Tytn II. The Touch Pro has a fairly good touch interface and is more compact, but at the cost of screen real-estate.

I've had both phones, I liked the Tytn II better - it is very easy to port the Touch Interface across to the Tytn II if you visit the xda-developers wiki.

This is primarily because I use the device quite a lot for browsing/email - if you dont do either of these quite so regularly you'll be happy enough with the Touch Pro. The Tytn II seemed to have better GPS reception, too. I also dont like the feel of the flush-fit keys on the Touch Pro, and really miss the scroll-dial on the side as well as the joystick. The Touch Pro has a flush-fit center button that is more painful to operate than the joystick on the earlier HTCs.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th October 2008 at 22:45.
Old 28th October 2008, 06:33   #3964
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Hello Guys,
I am planning to buy a Black berry or an equivalent during the ThanksGiving.

My requirements are the following:
1. Even if i buy in US, i should be able to bring it to India and make use of it (mail purpose of buying it).
2. email service -- must
3. multimedia -- prefered
4. compactness -- preferred
5. GPS -- must
6. Cost -- 250$

Kindly suggest the options i have for the above.

Regards
Pramod
The USA is one of the world's most backward places for buying a mobile phone. There is poor VFM and they're even SMS-illiterate on top of it, compared to us.

Suggest you come to India and buy a good phone from any common Telephone Shoppe in any common metro city.

You can have multimedia and email in several handsets for the kind of price you are willing to spend. $250 is about Rs. 12,500. If you must have GPS also in the same phone you should be willing to spend around $ 375 altogether.

I would put my money on the world's #1 manufacturer of mobile phones: Nokia -- more rugged and reliable and battery-efficient than anything designed in Korea and China. And with an increasing number of features, not the least being a performing camera.

Stay away from battery-hungry Korean and Chinese PDAs running buggy Microsoft Windows Mobile OS.
Old 28th October 2008, 08:46   #3965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I would recommend the Tytn II. The Touch Pro has a fairly good touch interface and is more compact, but at the cost of screen real-estate.

I've had both phones, I liked the Tytn II better - it is very easy to port the Touch Interface across to the Tytn II if you visit the xda-developers wiki.
Thanks a lot Steer for the info!

HTC Tytn II with B/W costs around 30k, waiting for a price drop....!
Old 28th October 2008, 09:59   #3966
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Steer for the info!

With the dollar heading North, you may not see the price drop immediately!
Old 28th October 2008, 10:43   #3967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its around 27500 in Calcutta.

Guys, any inputs on the Asus P 750? Its around 20k here.
Old 28th October 2008, 16:07   #3968
BHPian

I just bought myself a spanking new grey steel E71. What a brilliant phone! It so convenient, and very quick too. Took a while to get used to the keypad though (small keys but perfect). the only con was the cam quality and mp3 quality, but doesnt really matter to me because this phone wasnt meant for either. One more happy owner of the powerhorse

I was checking for themes yest (very very few) and came a firmware upgrade. My phone is 100.07.76 right now and the latest one is 110.07.127. It isnt yet available on the nokia website.
  • new features and fixes listed below:
    • gimlet 9.2.1.381 (Nokia Email Service version) in user disk; gimlet is visible only in countries where service available, otherwise hidden.
    • improved Email Set-up Wizard to check availability of Nokia email service
    • this is visible only in countries where service available, otherwise hidden.
    • Mail for Exchange 2.5.5
    • Maps 2.0 release from wk 30
    • VoIP baseline from wk 31
    • Switch4 from wk 32
    • startup settings from wk 31
    • catalogs 3.1.50 from wk 32
    • Y drive for WMDRM protection files
  • changes/improvements made to MCU SW version 110.07.127:
    • Email set-up improvements
    • Maps 2.0 improvements
    • Music library refresh function performance improvement
    • Browser improvements
    • Bluetooth improvements
    • Camera improvements
  • corrected Items from MCU SW version 100.07.76:
    • Email for Exchange – Synching improvements
    • DUT does not connect to BT stereo headset (SEM HBH -DS970) and car kit (SM HCB-120)
    • Y-drive visible with PC Suite
    • EAP-FAST authentication improvements
    • Unable to start maps when memory card is full
    • Camera - Picture cannot be taken correctly after zooming in max
Old 28th October 2008, 16:35   #3969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Stay away from battery-hungry Korean and Chinese PDAs running buggy Microsoft Windows Mobile OS.
That sounds very jingoistic, especially when the manufacturer that you recommend is one that is yet to discover what a touch-screen is, and only recently discovered stereo bluetooth.

I'd recommend that sweeping statements such as these are not taken too seriously.
Old 28th October 2008, 19:04   #3970
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I would put my money on the world's #1 manufacturer of mobile phones: Nokia -- more rugged and reliable and battery-efficient than anything designed in Korea and China. And with an increasing number of features, not the least being a performing camera.

I use Nokia N82. And also have a XDA II Mini.

I can't even imagine how is Nokia superior and bug free! to Windows Mobile.

Yes the camera is good on the N82! very good infact, but that is just one of the side features!
Old 28th October 2008, 19:14   #3971
Team-BHP Support

Apart from battery back up and maybe better camera, nothing much i have missed with Win Mob phones. Most of us who choose Win Mob phones know this part already i guess, so i wouldnt rate Nokia's Symbian too much over other OS's.

Again battery back up has to do lots with usage, in win mob users generally land up using the phone more. I have got 3-4 days usage without recharge with my ol HTC Touch, while using it just as a phone.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th October 2008 at 19:16.
Old 29th October 2008, 10:06   #3972
Distinguished - BHPian

Nokia9500 - Worries And Queries

Guys,Please help me on this.

One of the hinges of my Nokia9500 broke(not as a result of fall but because of "fatigue").The second hinge is also showing cracks and looks to be on the verge of a "meltdown".

Additionally,the 7,4,1,answer and GoTo keys are not functioning.

Took it to Nokia Care here and they said that the keys problem could be due to a belt problem.They have quoted Rs.3500 to set the phone back in order.I think this is quote is ridiculous.

My queries:

1.Does the "belt" refer to the ribbon cable connecting the phone(cover) to the keypad?
2.AFAIK,the hinges are part of the entire casing and somewhere I read that this is replaced for Rs.1800.

If any of you have experienced this and have got it solved,,please advise on how to proceed.
Old 30th October 2008, 12:33   #3973
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys Please Help - Nokia9500 Needs Attention
Old 30th October 2008, 13:43   #3974
Senior - BHPian

Guys need help from you all coz am gonna pick up a new phone.My N70 has decided to stop working and guess its time I flush this piece of junk in the commode.

I have zeroed down on the HTC touch and the HTC P3300. What would your recommendation be ? I will be using maps on the phone too.
Old 30th October 2008, 18:27   #3975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Guys need help from you all coz am gonna pick up a new phone.My N70 has decided to stop working and guess its time I flush this piece of junk in the commode.

I have zeroed down on the HTC touch and the HTC P3300. What would your recommendation be ? I will be using maps on the phone too.
Riju take a look at the Nokia E71 before you decide on a Windows Mobile (crap IMO) phone.

Nokia E71 wins hands down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks