Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 11:23   #3436
BHPian

Thanks for the info Jaggu,also tried the diamond at National market on Saturday. Its way way better than the iphone that I tried sometime back. The phone is just too good.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:33   #3437
Senior - BHPian

@mav2000, how much were they asking for the Diamond? Were there other models like the Touch Pro (with the slide out qwerty kbd)?

Anyone tried out the BB Connect software on any other HTC than a TyTN II? Took me a while to get it working on the classic Touch (Elf), seems to be working OK. Strangely, neither the BB Connect website, nor the HTC site, mentions BB Connect for Touch. Found it on the Vodaphone India website! Needs ActiveSync OTA, but is much more reliable than MS Direct Push.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:39   #3438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@mav2000, how much were they asking for the Diamond? Were there other models like the Touch Pro (with the slide out qwerty kbd)?

Anyone tried out the BB Connect software on any other HTC than a TyTN II? Took me a while to get it working on the classic Touch (Elf), seems to be working OK. Strangely, neither the BB Connect website, nor the HTC site, mentions BB Connect for Touch. Found it on the Vodaphone India website! Needs ActiveSync OTA, but is much more reliable than MS Direct Push.
BB Connect is available for Operating Systems (Win Mo 6, Win Mo 6.1 etc) and not necessarily by phone. Search by your OS.

MS Direct Push is more reliable - there is one less interface from ActiveSync OTA. When you use BB Connect, your exchange server has to forward the messages to one of the six BB servers worldwide. When you use Direct Push, your exchange server pushes directly to your device. 2 links less and two compatable bits of software working together.

Been using BB for a while now and while it might sound like sacrilege, I find MS Direct Push to be more convenient than BB.
Old 7th July 2008, 13:53   #3439
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Steeroid, will do. While the WiMo phones are no patch on BB devices for the integrated convenience - Previous/Next in mail display, jogger-based record traversal, Escape button, directly selecting a mail record without opening it etc. and PIN to PIN messaging - I am exploring which WiMo device would be an acceptable substitute.

No, I timed the appearance of message on device after receipt at server. BB does it much earlier than MS Direct Push. Probably because we have the Enterprise Server running in-house, avoiding the round trip to BB servers. The other problem that I faced with MS DP was unreliability - under certain conditions mail does not get delivered to the device AT ALL, and one is forced to do OTA sync to be sure. Right now I am testing with both MS DP (it needs ActiveSync to work) and BB Connect (they do work together on the same device), MS DP has already missed a couple of mails in the last hour, while BB intimated ALL incoming mails.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:00   #3440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably because we have the Enterprise Server running in-house, avoiding the round trip to BB servers.
The BB Enterprise Server ALSO connects to the BB servers for email transmission. The Enteprise Server only does encryption and compression at your end.

My experience has been quite the opposite - probably because of more reliable data connectivity. My BB does not reconcile well - it sometimes retains messages on the handset despite the message having been downloaded from my mailbox to my private folders. I have to "Delete Prior" manually at least twice a week. Never had any such issue with MS Direct Push.

As for a few seconds of difference, I'll live with it. If the message is so urgent that every millisecond matters, email is a very bad choice of communication mode.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:07   #3441
BHPian

GSMArena have done a head-to-head comparison between the two most talked about iPhone killers in the market, the Samsung i900 aka Omnia and the HTC Diamond.

HTC Touch Diamond vs. Samsung i900 Omnia: Head-to-Head - GSMArena.com
Old 7th July 2008, 17:12   #3442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Guys, will a Blackberry 8700G work with all service providers for basic mobile usage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
No, all blackberries in India work with the partner service provider's sim card only. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
... Just checked it again and it reads "Invalid SIM Card".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Perhaps the AirTel blackberry is network locked?...
Just checked with my personal SIM (Airtel post-paid, Airtel Live, not regular data plan), BB worked just fine as a cell phone, only complained about data connection not being available (showed 'edge' instead of 'EDGE')

My BB was purchased by the office from Airtel. Though it shows a big AIRTEL at sign-on, it is not network-locked; have tested it with a Hutch / Voda SIM card in the past.
Quote:
... My experience has been quite the opposite - probably because of more reliable data connectivity. My BB does not reconcile well - it sometimes retains messages on the handset despite the message having been downloaded from my mailbox to my private folders. I have to "Delete Prior" manually at least twice a week. Never had any such issue with MS Direct Push.
Possible. However, the 'retaining messages' part is a "feature", not a bug. What you are seeing on the device is the mail "intimation" (header), not the mail. Now, when a rule or a manual action on the desktop client moves the mail, there is no equivalent "intimation" sent to the device to delete the previous intimation.
Quote:
... As for a few seconds of difference, ...
Not like that. The variableness is an indication of unreliability.
Old 7th July 2008, 17:38   #3443
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way to figure out whether an email has been sent from BB?

e.g. I received an email on lets say, my Gmail or Yahoo mail ID. How do I find out whether it has been sent from the sender's BlackBerry/handheld or computer?

EDIT: Forgot to add - it does not have "Sent from my BB Wilreless Handheld" type of signature

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 7th July 2008 at 17:57.
Old 7th July 2008, 17:48   #3444
Senior - BHPian

When sent from a BB, the mail usually (unless the sender has switched off the feature) has a user-settable footer (default: "Sent from my Blackberry" or something). Works like a default signature, like
"Regards,
Nishant Gandhi
----------------------------
Sent from my Blackberry handheld"
Old 7th July 2008, 17:54   #3445
Senior - BHPian

Another way out would be to check headers in email. It might have things like :

Quote:
X-Mailer: --blurb-- Outkook --blurb--
If composed on PC.

Mails sent from BB/Mobile Gmail etc should have different values.
Old 7th July 2008, 17:58   #3446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Another way out would be to check headers in email. It might have things like :

If composed on PC.

Mails sent from BB/Mobile Gmail etc should have different values.
Could you please elaborate on this? What values would it have if sent from BB?
Old 7th July 2008, 18:00   #3447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, the 'retaining messages' part is a "feature", not a bug. What you are seeing on the device is the mail "intimation" (header), not the mail.
Nope. It retains messages for no reason and with no particular pattern - for instance, it happened again this morning when half my mail got removed from my BB when it got downloaded to my personal folders from the mailbox, but about 15 messages out of 49 since last evening (when I last was logged in to my mailbox) did not get deleted. Not mail intimation, but actual messages.

This is not a feature - trust me, its a bug. They've logged a service complaint and we're getting the BB guys to take a look at it.
Old 7th July 2008, 18:01   #3448
BHPian

@DerAlte - Hi they were looking at aroun d 26,500 for the Touch Diamond, but may be locked to Airtel. If you are talking about the Diamond with the keyboard, then its not yet available. Touch cruise is still over 30k.
Old 7th July 2008, 18:16   #3449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Could you please elaborate on this? What values would it have if sent from BB?
Don't remember value of X-Mailer for BB, there is another header that can be useful.

If sent from BB, value of "Received : " header will be *blackberry.net or a specific server in corporate intranet. (Depends on weather its corporate Blackberry email setup or the Blackberry Internet server provided by BB itself)

Open a few emails sent from BB and examine these headers.

And compare them with other emails.
Old 7th July 2008, 18:19   #3450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
@DerAlte - Hi they were looking at aroun d 26,500 for the Touch Diamond, but may be locked to Airtel. If you are talking about the Diamond with the keyboard, then its not yet available. Touch cruise is still over 30k.
The HTC Diamond (without the slider keyboard) can be got for 26442/-. That too unlocked and 3G version! UniverCell - The Mobile Expert - Buy Mobile phones, Exchange old mobile handsets, Recharge Airtel, Vodafone online, Gift a mobile, win a mobile or bluetooth or any accessory in contest, Compare multiple brands, Purchase New postpaid connections and d

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks