Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 12:36   #3361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You can download a numeric keypad application from HTC or from XDA-Developers.
I tried on a O2 but found the tactile feel left a lot to be desired.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:40   #3362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
There is NO tactile feedback on the older Pocket PCs. The Samsung Omnia (i900?) promises this. This handset has put a spanner in most people's plans - many of us here were waiting for the Touch Diamond/Touch Pro or the 3G iPhone, but the i900 suddenly has everyone confused. I guess we will have to wait until all 3 are in the market.

Question to the Apple boys - Does the new 3G iPhone provide REAL navigation that supports popular Street Navigation software like TomTom/Destinator/Navigon/Route 66, or is it still Assisted GPS?

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th June 2008 at 12:41.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:43   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Navin why not the communicator? The new ones are light & small & have BB capability
Old 25th June 2008, 12:44   #3364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. I was using the O2 Atom till a few days ago. The HTC is an improvement in terms of tactile response, but yes, definitely nowhere close to the iPhone's
Old 25th June 2008, 12:53   #3365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
The HTC is an improvement in terms of tactile response, but yes, definitely nowhere close to the iPhone's
Well, at least you can send SMSs as well as ESMSs as you feel like from the HTC without hunting for applications to do this for you? Try sending an SMS from your GPS application from other phones.

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th June 2008 at 12:54.
Old 25th June 2008, 16:07   #3366
Senior - BHPian

Guys, will a Blackberry 8700G work with all service providers for basic mobile usage?
Old 25th June 2008, 16:18   #3367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Navin why not the communicator? The new ones are light & small & have BB capability
Guys the keypad on the P990i died this afternoon. So unless someone has a good explanation againt the SE G900 that is what I am getting. I can use the 990i without the front keypad (actually only 4 keys are dead but these are the most common keys on the top left and top right of the keypad).

What can the Nokia Comminicator do that the G900 cannot? Though I must admit i like it's bulk.

My use:
1. one hand SMS (tactile numeric keypad)
2. Blackberry Client email
3. phone calls (G900 dont have the jog dial but I'll have to learn to live without that)
4. camera flash (not as good as the C905 expected in december but I cant wait that long for a phone anymore).

Ofcourse the kids I talk to want me to get the Apple phone but the last time i played with that phone I got frustrated.

I recieve about 30 urgent emails, the same number of SMSs and maybe twice that in phone calls per day. I need to be able to do all this while in a car. so dont give me a small computer (no PDAs and Smartness), gimme a good phone that can do SMS and email.

Last edited by navin : 25th June 2008 at 16:23.
Old 25th June 2008, 16:21   #3368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
..nowhere close to the iPhone's
I found the iPhone touchscreen keypad lacking. If I need to see the screen when i am typing SMS it is not good enough. With my old 990i I could do SMS barely glancing at the screen. Why, I used to SMS without my reading glasses.
Old 25th June 2008, 16:29   #3369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recieve about 30 urgent emails, the same number of SMSs and maybe twice that in phone calls per day. I need to be able to do all this while in a car. so dont give me a small computer (no PDAs and Smartness), gimme a good phone that can do SMS and email.
Same number of SMSs or slightly more (below 50 anyway), about 300 emails a day on an average (of which 60% go into the recycle bin after the first few sentences), live IMs from colleagues and a lot of TBHP - nothing but a PDA/Smartphone will do. A good phone cannot handle SMS and eMail after a certain point. You really need to have a full QWERTY keyboard to punch things out.

Or a Blackberry, with a few constraints.

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th June 2008 at 16:30.
Old 25th June 2008, 16:39   #3370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A good phone cannot handle SMS and eMail after a certain point. You really need to have a full QWERTY keyboard to punch things out.
Not me. I am very happy with the 990i. It's numeric keypad was large and I could do a lot with that even email. remember i only use my phone while I am in the car so if i get SMSes during the day I dont reply till I am in the car where I cant do much else so I then check my SMS.

I use a PC for 95% of my email but I will get emails while travelling and am very used to a numeric keypad vs a QWERTY keypad. I tried a few QWERTY leypads and found them all wanting besides no phone (save the 990i) had both a QWERTY keypad (which was almost useless) and numeric keypad.

A good phone should do SMS and Voice and a bit of email. Often I read email on the phone and reply only when on a PC (esp if the reply is more than a few words). The camera is used only a few times a year.

Last edited by navin : 25th June 2008 at 16:41.
Old 25th June 2008, 16:47   #3371
BHPian

E-mail configuration on Palm Treo 750

Hi Guys,

My Palm Treo 750 runs on Windows Mobile 6.0. I've configured my organization's mail (POP3/SMTP) on it and it works fine. But the mails are stored in the phone memory instead of card memory.

There is an option to store the attachments on card memory, but no option to store all mails on card. Since phone memory is very less (about 60 MB), this limits the no. of mails I can have at the phone, and forces me to clean-up mails very regularly.

Is there any way I can configure my phone to store mails on card memory?

Cheers

Nitin
Old 25th June 2008, 16:51   #3372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use a PC for 95% of my email but I will get emails while travelling and am very used to a numeric keypad vs a QWERTY keypad.
That explains it - you're more of a mobile mail READER than a composer.
Old 25th June 2008, 18:02   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
no phone had both a QWERTY keypad and numeric keypad.
Well, here's two examples.

But, performance I cannot guarantee you

HTC - Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer

and its successor

HTC - Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer

I've seen the first one, HTC S710. Its surprisingly small and the auto-sliding QWERTY keyboard is quite additive. I kept on sliding the keyboard out and in
Old 25th June 2008, 22:28   #3374
BHPian

Have you thought of P1i. It's pretty much what you already had plus better performance.

Quote:
Not me. I am very happy with the 990i. It's numeric keypad was large and I could do a lot with that even email.

A good phone should do SMS and Voice and a bit of email. Often I read email on the phone and reply only when on a PC (esp if the reply is more than a few words). The camera is used only a few times a year.
Old 26th June 2008, 11:37   #3375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That explains it - you're more of a mobile mail READER than a composer.
yes, unless it is something that cannot wait and the answer is short (often just single words) I dont email. For me email is often just a way to stay informed. I work with many young engineers and they use email and "white-apples" and all that fancy stuff and I just need to know what is happening. Often my input is not required - the kids are smart.

I cant see myself peering at a 2.5" LCD screen and typing using a keyboard that streches about 3" x 2". Besides I have no desire to be permanantly connected to work (like a umbilical cord).

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Have you thought of P1i. It's pretty much what you already had plus better performance.
yes I tried it. The keyboard was not the same (similar to the M600).

Most Viewed