Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2008, 21:14   #3286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Some Nokia phones use Symbian OS + Series xx application set. SE phones use Symbian OS + UIQ application set. Both support Java-based application installation, and the OS has open interfaces which can be connected to by external programs. Viruses exploit this 'open-ness' - most of them get injected via BT message transfer (not SMS) from infected phones.
Thats why I said most Nokia phones. In S40 apart from Java no other applications can be installed. To simply put the smartphones have more chances of getting affected by viruses by more mediums than a phone with a firmware.

Quote:
Motorola, Nokia, SE, Samsung and other feature phones which do not have this 'open-ness', are safe. No chik-chik no khich-khich!
But they wouldnt let you install the dearth of applications available out there for the smartphones. You win some you loose some.
Old 12th June 2008, 21:31   #3287
Senior - BHPian

I have been using a N72 for more than 15 months. Im looking for a phone at 10-12 k max. N72 had suited all my needs - Looked good , decent features, big display. I need a proper replacement. Few of my friends had recommended me E61i for a change. Gurujis help. Im in no hurry actually can wait for a month or so just need to choose a right model. Cheers!
Old 14th June 2008, 02:22   #3288
BHPian

Sixty one views yet no response ?

C'mon someone may know of this, t-bhp is supposed to be the maximum concentration of engineers in the telecom and it field.

rgds

MMM
Old 14th June 2008, 12:57   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
... smartphones ... phone with a firmware.
Maybe a matter of semantics, but all phones are 'smart', and all phones have 'firmware'.
* A "smart-phone" is one which has PIM functionality and user-software-installability in a conventional phone form factor (candy-bar, folding etc.) with the 9-key keypad
* A "feature phone" is the conventional cell-phone handset where all software features are pre-installed, and user cannot install other software. This type constitutes 90% of the handsets sold around the world
* A "PDA-phone" is the good-old-PDA style large display phone handset with most software features one can think of, and easy user-software-installability for things that the OE designers didn't think of. May or may not have a QWERTY keypad

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
But they wouldnt let you install the dearth of applications available out there for the smartphones. You win some you loose some.
No, you get what you pay for!
Old 14th June 2008, 13:25   #3290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
rjstyles69 : So whats your take on the SE K790i ?
Have a k810i, and happy with it. It has some more features than the k790i - but havent been using these, or many of the others. K810i is supposed to be an enhanced ver of the k790i. So unless I'm wrong on that, the k790i should be as good.

Audio, the 3.2mp, & battery life of the k810i are good.

Only problem I have faced with the k810i is - if I try to navigate through the menu extra-fast, then the phone re-boots (kind of).
Old 14th June 2008, 18:00   #3291
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Friends, suffer me a short walk back in time
1975, the year I joined engineering college, is the year that engineering students did away with slide-rules and logtables and started to adopt electronic calculators.

A 1975 Casio Pocket Mini, provided the four arithmetic functions: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, plus square-root calculation.

Back then Light-emitting diode Displays (LEDs) were intensely power hungry and early Liquid Crystal Displays (LCDs) leaked in tropical weather. Clearly not ready for prime-time yet. So the little Casio Pocket Mini (and most pocket calculators from back then) used a Noritake-Itron vacuum fluorescent display panel. The segments emitted a bright cyan-color light.

The next generation of calculators had built-in scientific functions: the trigonometric, hyperbolic, logarithmic and exponential functions, along with multiple memory registers.

Our university examination authorities, initially permitted simple calculators, later scientific ones, but not programmable ones.

This provoked intense debate among my classmates on what was and wasn't a programmable calculator -- the origins of the smart device and dumb device argument if you will. This would carry on, in those pre-PC days, into the argument of how a smart terminal differed from a dumb terminal.

A programmable calculator had a reasonably sized RAM, into which you could key-in a program implementing an algorithm.
This program could take data from certain registers, compute results and store them into the same or certain other registers.

In other words the programmable calculator had an API (application programming interface) -- a repertoire of library functions that could be invoked by the programmer.

Coming back to our subject: What is a smartphone?
A smartphone therefore, is a programmable phone fielding an API for the third-party programmer.

All phones nowadays have a complete Real-Time Operating System (Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux, iPhone OS, ...) and a standardized GUI -- firmware carried on internal Flash RAM.

But what distinguishes a smartphone from a dumb one, is the presence of an application programming interface -- a a repertoire of library functions (typically with Java bindings) -- a platform that software developers can use to program new applications for that phone.

Ram
Old 15th June 2008, 21:54   #3292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Have a k810i, and happy with it. It has some more features than the k790i - but havent been using these, or many of the others. K810i is supposed to be an enhanced ver of the k790i. So unless I'm wrong on that, the k790i should be as good.

Audio, the 3.2mp, & battery life of the k810i are good.

Only problem I have faced with the k810i is - if I try to navigate through the menu extra-fast, then the phone re-boots (kind of).
Does the 810i have a Xenon flash or is it an LED one ?
Old 16th June 2008, 11:36   #3293
BHPian

I would have helped you if you were asking Dual SIM (both GSM). Using a Chinese one, battery life very good, both connections on as the same time. GPRS activated only on one connection. Browsing limitations due to it being Chinese software.
Old 16th June 2008, 21:51   #3294
Distinguished - BHPian

Xenon.
Sony Ericsson K810 review: A Cyber-shot is reborn - GSMArena.com
Old 16th June 2008, 23:01   #3295
Senior - BHPian

Transfer of Phone book from CDMA hand set to normal handset.

I will be changing from CDMA to GSM in the coming month. My CDMA has the reliance connection. The handset is Nokia 6370.

The GSM handset is Nokia 6670 for which I will be starting to use from July-08. It does not have IR facility.

Now, I have over 300+ phone nos. Can I transfer all the phone nos from my existing CDMA handset to GSM handset. Pls advice..
Old 17th June 2008, 00:56   #3296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The first issue is the major reason why transfer channels can only be iTunes and online purchase (via GPRS/Internet). Apple doesn't even support (3rd party apps do, but they are not participating in any anti-piracy drive) reverse transfer from the mobile device to iTunes UNLESS it has been purchased from the iTunes store.
Dont you think there's a bit of hypocrisy involved in that? After all, isnt Apple the same company that refused to build in DRM (Digital Rights Management) for the iPod - something they had a longstanding fight with the music industry about?

They refused to use DRM when it suited them - the need then was to popularize the iPod. Now that they have the iPhone, they want to build a revenue stream around the iPod and therefore require you to BUY from the iTunes store.

A case of double standards, clearly.
Old 17th June 2008, 01:11   #3297
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I-phones are junk...no offense to anyone who owns one. the I-phone 3G doesn't even correct the issues the first one had. A2DP bluetooth still missing along with a card slot and lots more. Still just a hyped piece of JUNK.
Old 17th June 2008, 08:10   #3298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
I-phones are junk...no offense to anyone who owns one. the I-phone 3G doesn't even correct the issues the first one had. A2DP bluetooth still missing along with a card slot and lots more. Still just a hyped piece of JUNK.
with reasons as mentioned above and more,i had decided on the N95 8gb which il be getting by this weekend.
Old 17th June 2008, 11:25   #3299
Team-BHP Support

OK guys we need 2 phones.

My phone:
Must be capable of Blakcberry email
Must have numeric keypad (I use the keypad a lot for dialing numbers) and touch screen
Must be able to read PDFs, XLS, and DOC files
Must have a decent camera
Prefer a bar phone
Previous Phone; Nokia 6230i
Curent Phone: Sony P990i
looking at: Sony G900 (with Blackberry client).

My Wife's phone
Must have a numeric keypad (SMS is her lifeline)
Must have a great camera (with good flash)
Must be capable of about 8GB of Music in addition to the 200 or so photos
Prefers a slider
Previous Phone: Nokia 7610
Current Phone: Nokia N73
Rejected Nokia N82 as the keys were too small for fast SMS.
Options (not yet seen) LG Secret, Nokia N96, Nokia N95 8GB
Is the N96 going to be a real upgrade from the N95-8GB?

Last edited by navin : 17th June 2008 at 11:31.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:32   #3300
BHPian

Hi navin,

The N96 does not look like a great upgrade option with the specs that are available right now. Probably feature pack 3 will have a few more options which i really dont think will be worth the extra amount. look at the n95 8gb or a cracked iphone 16 gb

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks