Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2008, 21:33   #3091
Team-BHP Support

Since HTC touch was originally distributed by Airtel, I thought the internet connection would be a breeze. I mean it connects, but slowly at regular GPRS speed. I don't see the faster Edge performance I used to get in N73.

Besides, it keeps showing this notification:

Your current operator (40445) is not supported. You should obtain an update from your device vendor.

Would you like to select another network provider?

What on earth does this mean? I can't change my provider...

I have mobile office enabled, what is happening here?
Old 6th May 2008, 21:52   #3092
Team-BHP Support

Just click on "dont show this message anymore" or similar notification choice, and it will be fine till you do a hard rebset. This is mostly due to a mismatch in the extended rom which gets loaded in the phone and the existing set up of the networks. But once you do this, the pop ups will go.

WRT connection speed, is it while you browse through the phone? if so yes it is due to following factors:
1) Processor-OMAPS on the phone are slow. 1st reason i want to upgrade. Apart from the processor i have the older 128/64 version, so apart from me nobody can keep the memory from overflowing with my phone lol
2) PIE Pocket Internet Explorer- its a major hurdle, Opera mobile is the best free upgrade available right now. Works well and recommended.
3) Memory leakage of win mob, which loads up memory and a simple soft reset solves to a great extend.

To increase the speed you can always set up the open DNS in mobile office and when the phone is connected as a modem for a laptop speeds are much better, which actually proves above facts to a great extend.

This is from a non techies user who access tech forums perspective

And damn, wifee still not biting the bait.. :(

Oh and what is the network status display is it G or E, if G its the cell tower which is not supporting E Edge, you would have ruled out this i guess.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th May 2008 at 22:04.
Old 7th May 2008, 10:40   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Psiloc Connect: The App We’ve All Been Waiting For

Psiloc Connect is an app that needs little introduction. Suffice it to say, you need this app. In my opinion, Access Points (AP) are handled very, very poorly by S60. Each app that makes use of a data connection must have its own default AP defined. This is just silly. As done on other OSes, the device should worry about connecting via the fastest available AP and apps should just call to which ever AP is currently active. Period.

Thanks to Psiloc, your S60 3rd handset can now use data as nature intended - intelligently. Psiloc Connect is a utility that you’ll install, configure and then never look at again. Huh? It’s not because you won’t like it, but rather because once configured it will constantly be doing its job with no user intervention whatsoever. In a nutshell, this app will add a new AP to your device called “Psiloc Connect”. Any app using this AP will first attempt to connect to the internet via available WLAN networks. If no WLAN is available, the new AP will automatically drop back to 3G / EDGE / GPRS

(Source)
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-pc1.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-pc2.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-pc3.jpg  

Old 7th May 2008, 11:07   #3094
BHPian

hi. any idea on what the htc diamond will retail at. looks superb. also heard that the X1 Xperia will retail around 25,000 odd, can anyone confirm this. If this is the price point they have a killer phone coming. And any idea on the n96. I am considering a new phone as an upgrade to my n95 and these are the only 3 I can think of.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:12   #3095
Senior - BHPian

*** DELETED *** Wrong HTC compared with the X1 Xperia.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th May 2008 at 11:18.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:49   #3096
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here upgraded their HTC Touch ROM to WM6.1 ? I am a bit wary of upgrading from xda-developers now. There are some many versions floating, dunno which is which..
Old 7th May 2008, 13:20   #3097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Psiloc Connect is an app that needs little introduction. Suffice it to say, you need this app. In my opinion, Access Points (AP) are handled very, very poorly by S60. Each app that makes use of a data connection must have its own default AP defined. This is just silly. As done on other OSes, the device should worry about connecting via the fastest available AP and apps should just call to which ever AP is currently active. Period.

Thanks to Psiloc, your S60 3rd handset can now use data as nature intended - intelligently. Psiloc Connect is a utility that you’ll install, configure and then never look at again. Huh? It’s not because you won’t like it, but rather because once configured it will constantly be doing its job with no user intervention whatsoever. In a nutshell, this app will add a new AP to your device called “Psiloc Connect”. Any app using this AP will first attempt to connect to the internet via available WLAN networks. If no WLAN is available, the new AP will automatically drop back to 3G / EDGE / GPRS

(Source)
sounds like a great app is this an issue with every s60 base phone ie the n81 which i am getting this weekend ??? this is a commercial app any freeware apps like this ?
Old 7th May 2008, 15:09   #3098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just came across this, May 6th will be confirmed if its gonna be real, if so i know which is my new phone after Touch.

HTC Touch Diamond shots and specs: this week's big announcement? - Engadget
# 2.8-inch VGA display
# WinMo 6.1 Pro
# WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0
# eGPS, FM tuner
# Quad-band HSDPA 7.2
# 4GB internal flash, microSD slot
# 528MHz CPU
# 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus
# 10.7mm (0.47-inches) thick
# Supposedly also features an orientation sensor / accelerometer
As they say... there's no perfect phone.
The diamond will have 4 GB storage on board but no expandable memory slot! 4GB is too low these days.
Besides the battery is just 900 mAh and I doubt how good will it be with all that expansive hardware.
One touch, one HTC Touch Diamond - GSMArena.com news
Old 7th May 2008, 18:16   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Is there any application for Gmail talk on the symbian phones? I see the application is there on Blackberry phones, checked it and works great. Wouldnt be looking at any advanced features. Just send and receive chats messages.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:23   #3100
Senior - BHPian

okay, a gariib request.

How about someone suggesting me a nice phone in 7-9k budget? Just lost (yet) another phone yesterday - want something fit enough for office et al, nice cam/music and potentially good music. ideas?

alternatively, what's the cheapest second hand/new GPS phone? full featured (6110 cant set waypoints like I heard)?
Old 7th May 2008, 18:48   #3101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
As they say... there's no perfect phone.
The diamond will have 4 GB storage on board but no expandable memory slot! 4GB is too low these days.
Besides the battery is just 900 mAh and I doubt how good will it be with all that expansive hardware.
One touch, one HTC Touch Diamond - GSMArena.com news
Memory: For business users with need for internet and mail access, this wouldnt be a big issue, i for one need 1GB storage at the max, at any point of time. I rarely use phone for media, apart for some camera function.

Battery: My phone (Original Touch) currently runs for 2 days with heavy usage (my scale) and can pull through 4 days with normal use (again my scale). New one already quotes better talk and stand by time on paper. Again i can charge it using USB, so it really doesnt matter. Thanks to better processor and newer tech, battery life is "claimed" to be better.

Currently even while traveling my lap top provides juice for emergency situations, yes for the GPS maybe i need to buy a car charger, and iam all set.

Keypad:
Hardware keypad rather the lack of it, after using touch for long, i really dont miss it. If you ask me QWERTY keypad (hardware) would have been a bigger issue for most, compared to battery or expansion slot.

I was really surprised at the usability info HTC would have collected, that they avoided even a stylus. I for one haven't used stylus for long. Yes its convenient when your hands are dirty

As they say, there is no perfect phone. Also i wonder why Apple didnt think of business users a lil more yeah then again they are Apple and dont require this to sell lol
Old 7th May 2008, 19:47   #3102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
sounds like a great app is this an issue with every s60 base phone ie the n81 which i am getting this weekend ??? this is a commercial app any freeware apps like this ?
Handy Wifi is a freeware which has similar functionality.

Handy Wifi » I Go 3G.Com
Old 7th May 2008, 19:48   #3103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Is there any application for Gmail talk on the symbian phones? I see the application is there on Blackberry phones, checked it and works great. Wouldnt be looking at any advanced features. Just send and receive chats messages.
I am reading about Fring that supports gtalk, skype, Yahoo etc on the symbian. Has VOIP support also. Its free too. Has any one used this or has any feedback.
fring ? Make free mobile calls, IM with Skype, MSN Messenger, ICQ, Google Talk™, SIP & Twitter, AIM® & Yahoo!™

Mgtalk is another app. Any information will be useful.
Old 7th May 2008, 19:48   #3104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Use this Talkonaut - mobile free calling application

There are loads of such apps, Fring, Gizmo, etc

Last edited by gr8guzzler : 7th May 2008 at 19:49.
Old 7th May 2008, 20:27   #3105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Use this Talkonaut - mobile free calling application

There are loads of such apps, Fring, Gizmo, etc
Just wondering if these are used by connecting to proxy servers. Will there be a security issue?
Fring seems to be good, I find lots of reviews on the net from Symbian users having it on the phones. But yet to see it. Anyone actually using these apps?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks