Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:51   #3061
Senior - BHPian

Kickstart for a new BlackBerry flip

Looks like business-minded RIM are exploring a new form factor. A novel flip phone is expected to be officially unveiled in the coming weeks. Live photos of the first-ever clamshell by RIM leaked at BoyGeniousReport. Codenamed Kickstart, the newcomer is likely to get launched by the end of 2008.

With specs still to come on the record, some BGR leaked images should do for a taster. TrackBall navigation and the proprietary SureType keypad look the right BlackBerry purists stuff. The form factor is another story. The clamshell features a secondary external display and will be among the imaging-enabled BlackBerry devices.

Stay tuned as we hope the Kickstart will pick up the pace and go on the record.

Source
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-gsmarena_001.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-gsmarena_002.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-gsmarena_003.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-gsmarena_004.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-gsmarena_005.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2008, 11:56   #3062
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Any idea whats the current price for Nokia E61i with B&W in Mumbai?
Hi,

Its about Rs14.9k.

Viper
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:54   #3063
BHPian

EDGE Class Speeds

I hope someone can seriously help me with this:
EDGE Class Speeds?

I am in search of a new handset. It will mainly be used to connect to the internet (Airtel). Nokia handsets offer upto class 32, SonyEricsson class 10, HTC class 10.

What are the real life differences in classes? What class does Airtel support?

Can Steeroid or someone who is technically knowledgeable tell the real truth?
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:39   #3064
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I hope someone can seriously help me with this:
EDGE Class Speeds?

I am in search of a new handset. It will mainly be used to connect to the internet (Airtel). Nokia handsets offer upto class 32, SonyEricsson class 10, HTC class 10.

What are the real life differences in classes? What class does Airtel support?

Can Steeroid or someone who is technically knowledgeable tell the real truth?
GPRS | Mobile Pedia
Classification of GPRS

According to capability of GPRS, it can be classified as Class A, B, and C. Class A devices allow connection to GSM (SMS and voice) and GPRS service at the same time. Devices belonging to Class B can only use one service at a time i.e. either GPRS or GSM. During GSM activity (SMS or a phone call) GPRS is automatically suspended and is resumed when the GSM activity is terminated. This class is most common. Class C devices must be switched manually between GSM and GPRS.

Class A mobile phones are expensive because they require two radios. These radios allow the cell phone to transmit two different frequencies at the same time. A cheaper solution to the two radio problem is DTM (Dual Transfer Mode) option. Mobile phones using DTM are categorized as pseudo Class A.

Performance of GPRS is best described its Multislot Class. Speed of GPRS is directly proportional to TDMA time slots. Multislot Class starts from 1 to 12 and then jumps directly to 32. Here Class 32 GPRS has the best performance of all the classes.

GSM World - GPRS Class Types

GPRS Multislot Classes

Multislot classes are product dependant, and determine the maximum achievable data rates in both the uplink and downlink directions.

Written as (for example) 3+1 or 2+2, the first number indicates the amount of downlink timeslots (what the mobile phone is able to receive from the network).
The second number indicates the amount of uplink timeslots (how many timeslots the mobile phone is able to transmit).

The active slots determine the total number of slots the GPRS device can use simultaneously for both uplink and downlink communications.

But with our EDGE network will this matter?
Old 3rd May 2008, 17:01   #3065
BHPian

Thank you Jaggu for a very detailed explanation.
Just as you ask:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
But with our EDGE network will this matter?
Is Class 32 utilised in India (especially Airtel)? What is the maximum class used in India?
Old 3rd May 2008, 17:15   #3066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is Class 32 utilised in India (especially Airtel)? What is the maximum class used in India?
All operators in India are crying out for spectrum on top of which existing radio networks are strained to the limits just to carry voice.

I doubt if you would be able to find a single operator who makes more than one channel available at a time for data usage.

Your best bet is CDMA as it does not depend on timeslots and instead utilizes the same timeslot for carrying multiple communication channels. CDMA is a better carrier of packet data than TDMA (which is what GSM is).

Head for Reliance/Tata Indicom/BSNL EVDO. Here again go for the operator with the lowest number of subscribers - that means better data rates. That automatically rules Reliance out - I still find Reliance faster than Airtel, though.

Until 3G arrives, that is. If it does arrive at all. Going by Anil Ambani's logic, all available spectrum should be given to him because he is Reliance. Nevermind if there were 16 operators in queue before him.

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd May 2008 at 17:17.
Old 3rd May 2008, 18:12   #3067
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you Jaggu for a very detailed explanation.
Just as you ask:

Ha ha that was not a ? it was the answer Sure about airtel since it doesnt support simultaneous data and voice transmission.

Steer has explained the reality, but when will the damn 3G happen. Its still stuck in some heap of papers
Old 3rd May 2008, 18:28   #3068
BHPian

Thanks again Jaggu & Steeroid.
Time for me to re-read the other thread on cdma before deciding. It's just that Airtel works out out just Rs450 pm (adding Mobile Office to my account).
If I go CDMA, it means added costs of buying a dongle and their monthly rates are around Rs1k pm.
Old 3rd May 2008, 18:38   #3069
Team-BHP Support

GPSRS throught handset and through Data card is diff altogether wrt speed, datacard being faster and more stable (even for a GSM based system), am not sure about USB dongle though.

Using handset as GPRS modem is only for emergency and for people who travel occasionally and need access to net through laptop.
Old 4th May 2008, 13:42   #3070
BHPian

N81... i'm planning to pick this up any comments / feedback/ suggestions ? what should be the price in delhi for the 8 GB & 2 GB with B&W
Old 4th May 2008, 14:09   #3071
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have recently purchased N81. An awesome phone, looks like N96, and is quite
Old 4th May 2008, 14:12   #3072
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have recently purchased N81. An awesome phone, looks like N96, and is quite a handy gadget. Of course a lot depends on the apps you load on it. I never thought I would be using internet on phone, but after buying this device I was forced to as I am so addicted to it. The N81 2 GB is 13.9 to 14.4k depending on the shop. I bought my N81 8GB for 15.6k, as at this price point it made no sense to go for 2 GB.

I though seriously recommend u to consider N82. Even though in India we dont have the black version yet, but at 20k, with all N81 features + 5 mega pixel camera + GPS reciever, it sure is much more value for money
Old 4th May 2008, 15:44   #3073
Team-BHP Support

My next phone

Just came across this, May 6th will be confirmed if its gonna be real, if so i know which is my new phone after Touch.

HTC Touch Diamond shots and specs: this week's big announcement? - Engadget
# 2.8-inch VGA display
# WinMo 6.1 Pro
# WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0
# eGPS, FM tuner
# Quad-band HSDPA 7.2
# 4GB internal flash, microSD slot
# 528MHz CPU
# 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus
# 10.7mm (0.47-inches) thick
# Supposedly also features an orientation sensor / accelerometer
Old 4th May 2008, 17:56   #3074
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at a new phone. Have shortlisted the following phones.

1: Nokia 5610
2: Nokia N73
3: Nokia E51
5: SE K790i

I want a good camera phone. Though E51 has a shady cam, it is a feature rich phone. Apart from that, the other 3 models have 3.2 mp with flash. Any pros/cons for the same ? Both the N73 and K790i are pretty old models.

Thanks and regards,
Old 4th May 2008, 22:02   #3075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I am looking at a new phone. Have shortlisted the following phones.

1: Nokia 5610
2: Nokia N73
3: Nokia E51
5: SE K790i

I want a good camera phone. Though E51 has a shady cam, it is a feature rich phone. Apart from that, the other 3 models have 3.2 mp with flash. Any pros/cons for the same ? Both the N73 and K790i are pretty old models.

Thanks and regards,
I guess you should get the 5610. It sounds nice.

I just got the E51 today and playing around with it. Quite fast compared to my E50. Its not a multimedia phone and dont expect anything fancy. I think its the fastest and slimmest phone Nokia has now. Multitasking doesnt slow the phone. Net connect is quite fast.

Cam is seriously BAD.
I searched all shops in Chennai for non camera version. No one stocks it. I just hate the cam and wonder why Nokia is giving such a bad camera in the first place. I have a camera gear worth 52K plus a point and shoot, so wont use the phone cam.

Most Viewed