Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2008, 18:08   #2941
Senior - BHPian

Upgrading/Re-installing firmware

I wish to re-install the firmware on my Nokia E61i. Now the problem with Nokia PC Suite is that it will back up everything (Contacts, Messages, Gallery et al) and will restore them well. But not the Installed programs.

I have always had to manually re-install all the applications (on my last phone E50) after every update. After the Restore from Nokia PC Suite, it used to show all the installed application icons. But clicking them yields no result. Hence I have had to manually re-install everything and configure the settings. This can be quite and heavy on the pocket due to data charges.

Is there any program or software or way around to keep existing installations intact and restore them just like Contacts etc?

By the way, I use Nokia Software Updater service for upgrading the firmware.
Old 23rd April 2008, 18:59   #2942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I wish to re-install the firmware on my Nokia E61i. Now the problem with Nokia PC Suite is that it will back up everything (Contacts, Messages, Gallery et al) and will restore them well. But not the Installed programs.

I have always had to manually re-install all the applications (on my last phone E50) after every update. After the Restore from Nokia PC Suite, it used to show all the installed application icons. But clicking them yields no result. Hence I have had to manually re-install everything and configure the settings. This can be quite and heavy on the pocket due to data charges.

Is there any program or software or way around to keep existing installations intact and restore them just like Contacts etc?

By the way, I use Nokia Software Updater service for upgrading the firmware.
I upgraded my Nokia N82 to the latest firmware a few days back and all my applications, contacts, messages.. basically everything was as it was. Try the new Software updater, the version no. is 1.4.X
Old 23rd April 2008, 19:02   #2943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other phones around 10K bracket - I am not in favor of N Series at all, after I read a Nokia Product Advisory admitted manufacturing defects in it.
Can you elaborate more on it and the manufacturing defect. N-series wouldn't have been selling like hot cakes if it was indeed true. Bought a N82 few days back.... fantastic device and very very fast for a smartphone and plays even the heavy 3D games with charm.
Old 23rd April 2008, 19:14   #2944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I upgraded my Nokia N82 to the latest firmware a few days back and all my applications, contacts, messages.. basically everything was as it was. Try the new Software updater, the version no. is 1.4.X
Will try the latest version. In the meantime, I got this application which seems to serve the purpose very well.
SoftVariant
Old 23rd April 2008, 19:34   #2945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you elaborate more on it and the manufacturing defect. N-series wouldn't have been selling like hot cakes if it was indeed true. Bought a N82 few days back.... fantastic device and very very fast for a smartphone and plays even the heavy 3D games with charm.
I am not sure about the latest N Series. I will have to fish for the document by Nokia. But I remember they admitted faults such as keyboard issues, Music player / camera issues and poor battery life in the first few N Series phones (N70/71/72/73).

I am sure these must have been rectified in the later N Series but nonetheless, it did put me off. Anyways, Nokia phones usually generate more hype than they deserve. (Im saying this despite being a loyal Nokia user since last ~10 years!).

Infact the E series was not spared either. E65 was rushed to the market as Nokia wanted a business-cum-layman slider phone out quickly. So they compromised on a lot of features. Now I hear its on the way out, as feature wise E51 matches up pretty well to E65. And anyways, they say Business users dont want the slider design.
Old 23rd April 2008, 19:57   #2946
BHPian

Quote:
I meant "Black colour" E 51 handset, maybe you understood "without B&W" prices?
The price I mentioned is for the "Black" E51. The font option is a default setting.
Old 23rd April 2008, 20:01   #2947
BHPian

Quote:
Check out Symbian Freak Forum's freeware section, they have a tool which can install apps in a batch processing mode. This helps when you have to re-install the firmware and don't want to waste time installing every app again.
Old 23rd April 2008, 20:05   #2948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
The price I mentioned is for the "Black" E51. The font option is a default setting.
Ok great. One more question. Are all the 3 color combos available in the market i.e. Black-Silver, Pink (Bronze)-Black and All Black? Which one is yours?
Old 23rd April 2008, 20:11   #2949
BHPian

Quote:
Ok great. One more question. Are all the 3 color combos available in the market i.e. Black-Silver, Pink (Bronze)-Black and All Black? Which one is yours?
All Black is mine. I think the only other colour available in most shops is the Black/Silver combo.
Old 23rd April 2008, 20:55   #2950
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ET thats because, N82 has UDP - User Data Preservation. So it actually saves all the user data including the applications during the upgrade.
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:02   #2951
BANNED

just got a n82 black edition just out today i had to have one since i did not like the silver or gold or whatever color that is. gave up my iphone, will wait till iphone 2 comes out now, back to hunting nokia themes games and apps. ok i need a huge favour can anyone email me SkyeCaller PRO - Full Screen Caller please thanks a lot.i did find it but its unsigned version of the same. and some new sites if any for nokia n82 and 5310 please update
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:11   #2952
Senior - BHPian

@jesal.... Congrats buddy! How much did it cost you? I need we need a thread specific to N82 going by the number of people going for this phone. By the way upgrade the phone to 20.X.62 if it doesnt come upgraded already.... it makes an already great phone even better.
Old 23rd April 2008, 22:35   #2953
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Congrats jesal as ET asked how much for the Black version ?

There is a procedure for signing applications with opensigned @ www.symbiansigned.com. The signed file is restricted to your IMEI only.

I would suggest get the following apps also :

1. Shozu - Online image sharing includes facebook

2. ShakeSMS - Shake the phone to read sms, shake it back to exit and lock the phone.

3. X-plore - File manager

4. emtube - Youtube

5. jbaktaskman - Task manager

6. OctroTalk - IM

7. RockNScroll - Accelerometer application

8. Coreplayer - For videos
Old 23rd April 2008, 23:49   #2954
Senior - BHPian

I am going to rest my faithful E50 after more than 18 months. The phone has served me well except for heating and a few hung ups. I am considering the following devices in the order mentioned:

1. Nokia E51:
Logical upgrade from E50, battery life, WiFi, slim looks, Radio, tough build (my E50 crashed down about 25 feet last year is still working perfectly till now)

2. Nokia E61i:
Very fasy software, excellant screen, slim looks, decent build, Qwerty keypad, WiFi, Sadly no radio, stereo headset, low memory, trackball navigation

3. Blackberry curve 8300:
Qwerty keypad, trackball navigation, blackberry email services, access office lotus notes and other applications, camera flash.

Please clarify if I can use the blackberry services on E51 and E61i. How different will it be from the blackberry device?

Last edited by mail4ajo : 23rd April 2008 at 23:54.
Old 24th April 2008, 00:09   #2955
BHPian

@mail4ajo: you can use Blackberry services on E51/E61i using Blackberry connect. I haven't used it though as I use mail for exchange instead.

Check this link BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

Last edited by gr8guzzler : 24th April 2008 at 00:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks