Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2008, 14:08   #2896
BHPian

Why not have a look at the W950i. It's available at a huge discount off it's earlier MRP. Touchscreen, inbuilt 4GB flash memory and from the Walkman series. Doesn't have a camera but then that's what the K series is for.
I doubt if those tiny little speakers, which used to be given free, will be satisfactory anyway. The headphones will sound way better.
Old 19th April 2008, 14:14   #2897
Senior - BHPian

Nice solid phone. The model is no longer current but do not let that put you off.
Old 19th April 2008, 14:37   #2898
BHPian

hey bro, they are not just tiny lil speakers believe me. even i own one and i thought the samw about them until i actually heard them.. superb clarity and response for a speaker of that size

about the phone - they are rock solid, good speakers, nice camera, n blah blah blah
Old 19th April 2008, 16:37   #2899
BHPian

I'm using one for more than a year now and it has not disappointed me so far.
--one of best looking phone
--Very good sound quality even with stock earphone.
--Very sharp and bright screen
--Camera if used properly can give good results.
--those tiny little spk sound good for their size.
--fast interface

overall a good buy for under 9k.
Old 19th April 2008, 16:48   #2900
BHPian

I agree it's a great phone. Bought one for the wife when it was launched. I took a cash discount instead of the speakers, as neither of us was EVER going to use the speakers.
I suggested the W950i as it is a newer phone and for someone who is going to use it as a walkman, it has 4GB of Flash memory, which is very fair.
I think the W810i has been discontinued, as it was launched well over a year ago. And realistically, how many actually listen to music on a phone with speakers?
ANyways, that's just my opinion. Per se, the phone is very very good.
Old 20th April 2008, 09:35   #2901
BHPian

thanks for your reviews.

thanks for your positive reviews. Enquired at sony World,he says 9700 with speakers.Planning to compare with few others retailers as well.Would get back once i get it.BTW are there any good reliable retailers in chennai for mobiles.
Old 20th April 2008, 16:25   #2902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
thanks for your positive reviews. Enquired at sony World,he says 9700 with speakers.Planning to compare with few others retailers as well.Would get back once i get it.BTW are there any good reliable retailers in chennai for mobiles.
9700Rs.....last month i was quoted 8900 inclu those spk.Sony world will obviously have higher price.
Old 20th April 2008, 16:56   #2903
BHPian

Nice camera and walkman, but it was launched about 2 years back. Why don't you check out some newer models?
Old 20th April 2008, 17:37   #2904
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This one is kewl The demarcation between a laptop and pda is growing vague by the day.
Its UMPC (Ultra Mobile PC) and not yet GSM.
Old 21st April 2008, 11:49   #2905
Senior - BHPian

Posted this on a different thread but nobody seem to have checked that thread so posting it here. Please help guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread but need some help regarding using google maps in 6110 navigator, I've few doubts,
1. Are the maps get downloaded one time into the phone memory? Or one need to be in constant touch with the network to use the google maps.
So if there is no network connection then I won't be able to use the google maps ?
How much free memory is required to download google maps?
2. Will navigation work with the google maps ? The route 66 maps doesn't contain many of the highways so I was looking for something better.
3. And if anyone can post me the details how to install the google maps ?Is there any other software needed to be installed ?
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 21st April 2008, 13:29   #2906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Feature rich phone to die in half a day of usage, indeed!
And I havent still mentioned how much phone I will be using.

Quote:
Do we really think that Nokia are a bunch of half-brained nitwits, and the consumer who has learned to press buttons on the mobile knows better?
Says who? They are very clever indeed. Who will buy the 'N97' if all we want is available in N96. Do you think putting in a small battery in N95 was a careless mistake... no! buy the N95 8GB if you want bigger battery and more RAM. Its very obvious Ram, this is how evolution works in case of electronics. There will never be a perfect device.

Quote:
N96 comes with 256MB of RAM plus 16 GB of on phone flash storage and can be expanded via MicroSD flash to 32 GB more, bringing it up to a whopping 48 GB of flash storage.
Thats 256 MB of phone storage memory. The RAM remains the same, 128 MB. That 32GB micro SD card can also be used in N82 if it comes and that more than enough for 99% of the users of a mobile phone.

Quote:
It runs Symbian 9.3 as opposed to the N82/N95-8GB's Symbian 9.2
and Series 60 3rd ed. Feature pack 2, as opposed to the N82/N95-8GB's Feature pack 1.
You buy the new phone you get the latest software. Its as simple as that.

Quote:
With a DVB-H TV receiver , new codecs, music controls and auto-geotagging of photos, the N96 is a very capable instrument.
How many DVB-H channels are there in India? Getagging of photos is there in N82 too. In case you havent updated ur N82's software, I have updated mine.

I own a N82 and I love it but I also know why Nokia has put a 950 mAH battery in its latest Nseries flagship.
Old 21st April 2008, 13:32   #2907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
ET : Direct from the official site FExplorer - Download
Thanks! Downloaded and got is signed from Symbiansigned to install it. If anyone else wants it just lemme know. Its still a beta version.
Old 21st April 2008, 14:23   #2908
BHPian

Quote:
Feature rich phone to die in half a day of usage, indeed!

Do we really think that Nokia are a bunch of half-brained nitwits, and the consumer who has learned to press buttons on the mobile knows better?

N96 comes with 256MB of RAM plus 16 GB of on phone flash storage and can be expanded via MicroSD flash to 32 GB more, bringing it up to a whopping 48 GB of flash storage.

It runs Symbian 9.3 as opposed to the N82/N95-8GB's Symbian 9.2
and Series 60 3rd ed. Feature pack 2, as opposed to the N82/N95-8GB's Feature pack 1.

With a DVB-H TV receiver , new codecs, music controls and auto-geotagging of photos, the N96 is a very capable instrument.

The photo functionality goes far towards providing an integrated experience between mobile, PC and the web. These are the early days of convergence -- the technology is finally hooking up into a more seamless consumer experience.

Ram

Hi ram,

I agree with everything you have said, and would love to see the new n series flagship being the best phone in town, but i am living with a slightly wonky built n95 with a mediocre battery, for which i have 3 charges, one at home, one at the office and one in the car, just in case. the battery has improved significantly after my update to v20, but its still not good enough. They are making the same mistake for which they faced a lot of flack in putting the same battery again in the n96. I probably would wait for the launch and see the initial reviews before sommenting any further.
Old 21st April 2008, 17:35   #2909
Team-BHP Support

Flashed N95 with newer version of OS and things seemed to have improved in battery consumption front. Lil early but can confirm in another day.

Job was pretty easy and nokia suite still rocks at restoring phone contents and settings, ease and the options which one can select to restore atleast.

Sorry didnt put details, the original version was 1.2.xx which i upgraded to 2.x.x which was downloaded from Nokia site and yes through software update service. File was 105 MB so be prepared with a good internet connection.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st April 2008 at 17:55.
Old 21st April 2008, 17:46   #2910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Flashed N95 with newer version of OS and things seemed to have improved in battery consumption front. Lil early but can confirm in another day.

Job was pretty easy and nokia suite still rocks at restoring phone contents and settings, ease and the options which one can select to restore atleast.
Whats the new version of your OS? Symbian 9... Feature Pack..?
Is it available for upgrade through Nokia Software Updater service?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks