Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 19:00   #2851
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Hi,
Require some suggestions from the phone experts here.

Am looking for a simple camera phone that can take good pictures and has an 'Anti-Shake' built in.
i.e. even if there is slight movement at the time of clicking, the phone does not give a blur picture.
One of every five cameraphone users use their cameraphone as their primary camera.

Me too! That's why I bought my Nokia N82. It has a 5 megapixel sensor, autofocusing 4-element lens, mechanical shutter and Xenon flash. Always available in the pocket, invisible unobtrusive while shooting, and yields adequately detailed 5 mp images that can be cropped and resized later.

But we'll soon go beyond 5 megapixels. What will happen then? Camera shake will be increasingly, reason to reject high-megapixel images, unless you can mount the camera phone on a tripod.

Natural hand jitter is the biggest cause of blurred images. Optical zoom becoming available to us will aggravate the problem.

Digital Still Cameras (DSCs) have had image stabilization solutions, for some time now.

But a cameraphone is so dimunitive and has densely packed circuitry -- phone, FM radio, GPS, accelerometers, what not..., and expects to be powered off a tiny Li-ion battery.

Optical image stabilizing components are too bulky, power-hungry and expensive for phones.

Enter
Digital Image Stabilization (for cheap cameraphones) and
Optical Image Stabilization (expensive cameraphones)

Digital Image Stabilization
The cheap interim way to go is use extremely (ISO) sensitive sensors, and motion vector calculations in software.

The NTT N902i (this is a Kyocera W41K phone) takes a a series of high ISO images in quick succession when the picture is taken. Motion vector software then synthesizes the original image using all of these as reference and comes up with an ultra clear sharp image.

However, this is both CPU intensive and memory intensive. Also the more sensitive the sensor, the more pixel noise. That is a problem to live with until greater miniaturization is possible.

Another is the Casio W53A. This baby has a 5.1 megapixel camera and 800x480 display and digital image stabilization.

LG's Viewty KU990 and Sony Ericsson K850i, both feature digital image stabilisation.

Optical Image Stabilization
Another way is to use Gyro sensors. These use piezoelectric, ring laser, fiber-optic, spinning mass, and capacitance tech. to stabilize the image.

An American co. called InvenSense produces micro dual-axis rate gyroscopes and single chip image stabilization for this. There's MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems) tech. at your service!
This is a single-chip silicon device based on MEMS tech, smaller than competing piezo-tech devices.

They use gyro data to accurately track the hand jitter and compensate in real time by physically moving the lens or the sensor module.

Performance is outstanding, but expensive and requires significant optics expertise while assembling the phone.

Some Sanyo phones are planned, using this technology.
This will be useful when we go to 10 megapixel cameraphones.

Ram
Old 11th April 2008, 19:18   #2852
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Read on, am waiting for this he he

"The mobile phone High Tech Computer (HTC) has been developing to run on the Android software from Google will be called "Dream," have a large touchscreen and full QWERTY keypad, a person close to the situation said Thursday.

HTC may become the first handset maker in the world to put out a mobile phone developed around Android"
Google has based Android, on Linux.
If you are a Java software developer, Android will let you write your own managed Java code using Google's APIs. When Android releases this year, it will be freely available to developers.

Imagine how lost a mobile "garage" will be (esp. those Windows Mobile types!), when they want to fix hundreds of different unfamiliar software
written by programmers in Bangalore and Pune and Noida and Chennai and H'bad.

Can you imagine a world, where each individual Indian techie programs his own phone? No two phones anywhere will be the same!
What a world!
Old 11th April 2008, 20:24   #2853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post

But we'll soon go beyond 5 megapixels. What will happen then? Camera shake will be increasingly, reason to reject high-megapixel images, unless you can mount the camera phone on a tripod.

Natural hand jitter is the biggest cause of blurred images. Optical zoom becoming available to us will aggravate the problem.
Ok, couldn't help but posting, probably it belongs to joke thread better.

solution from my highly techy and geeky friend for avoiding shutter sound created by the cam phone, "put it in vibrate mode."
Old 11th April 2008, 20:28   #2854
BHPian

hmm so my lg viewty has digital image stabilization not optical works pretty well though, unless I am jumping on a trampoline while clicking the pic
Old 11th April 2008, 22:23   #2855
aZa
Senior - BHPian

@ Ram N82 has image stabilization during video right ?
Old 12th April 2008, 08:08   #2856
Ram
Senior - BHPian

N82 digital (software) video stabilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
@ Ram N82 has image stabilization during video right ?
Yes @aZa, it has digital (software) video stabilization and despite that, the N82 can shoot VGA-quality (640 x 480 pixels) video at 30 frames per second !
It uses AAC audio recording format. Video is saved in the .mp4 video file format.

Also comes with software for on-device video editing.

Ram
Old 13th April 2008, 11:15   #2857
BHPian

Can I have a feedback about the LG Viewty. It costs 21.2k here. Want to know if its worth the bucks.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:26   #2858
BHPian

hey furioussphinx i replied to your post earlier - i don't think you saw it
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post787502
i would like to add that i bought it for 21.2k from sangeetha when on a trip to hyd (although i am in bangy) and I am so far convinced at the money i have spent for this nice piece of technology. Remember that you can get this phone for cheaper 20.8k if you goto an lg store or get to one of the lg booths at hyd central or lifestyle

Last edited by jassi : 13th April 2008 at 11:32.
Old 13th April 2008, 14:47   #2859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
hey furioussphinx i replied to your post earlier - i don't think you saw it
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post787502
i would like to add that i bought it for 21.2k from sangeetha when on a trip to hyd (although i am in bangy) and I am so far convinced at the money i have spent for this nice piece of technology. Remember that you can get this phone for cheaper 20.8k if you goto an lg store or get to one of the lg booths at hyd central or lifestyle
Oops, I overlooked your post. My bad. How about the battery specs? How good is the standby time and talktime?

Any idea when the Xperia could be out, if its close, I would prefer to wait. But again, depends on how much it could be priced about.
Old 13th April 2008, 15:27   #2860
BHPian

battery life is great - i use it for plenty of phone calls and smses and also use it as my car video player (2hrs a day) Despite this I can squeeze 1.5 days out of the phone and mostly 2 days.
the xperia is expected to cost around 39k
Old 13th April 2008, 16:38   #2861
BHPian

Quote:
battery life is great - i use it for plenty of phone calls and smses and also use it as my car video player (2hrs a day) Despite this I can squeeze 1.5 days out of the phone and mostly 2 days.
Oh my! 39k is like too far off my budget. So the Viewty fits the bill perfectly as of now. One last question, I do a LOT of texting, and i mean, a LOT! So hows comfy is the touchscreen for texting? and the reason I am concerned about the battery life is because of excessive texting. (Batt drain due to frequent backlight)
Old 13th April 2008, 16:49   #2862
BHPian

dude i am a texter myself - send close to 20-30 msgs a day
let me tell you this - you will take atleast 4-5 days to adjust to the screen - its a haptic feedback touch screen which means it vibrates to respond to your touch and that makes life much much easier the interface is really cool especially scrolling up and down but give it some time to grow on you

check these videos

one gripe the sms memory is only 400 odd messages so beware of that
and other drop the stylus - its like a lipstick or eyeliner hanging on the side - too girly for me but the plus is you don't really ever need the stylus!!
Old 13th April 2008, 17:29   #2863
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
dude i am a texter myself - send close to 20-30 msgs a day
let me tell you this - you will take atleast 4-5 days to adjust to the screen - its a haptic feedback touch screen which means it vibrates to respond to your touch and that makes life much much easier the interface is really cool especially scrolling up and down but give it some time to grow on you

one gripe the sms memory is only 400 odd messages so beware of that
and other drop the stylus - its like a lipstick or eyeliner hanging on the side - too girly for me but the plus is you don't really ever need the stylus!!
Oh thats sweet, my sms count touches close to 150 per day (an avid texter). Well, I think the Viewty is where my money goes Thanks a lot jassi!
Old 13th April 2008, 22:51   #2864
Senior - BHPian

Two nice guides I happened upon:

1) How to Get Quake Running on Your S60 Smartphone

2) Getting the most out of your Nseries’ camera
Old 14th April 2008, 00:12   #2865
F50
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way of reducing the sensitivity of N82' Accelerometer?
I updated to the new 20.0.xxx version, it has become more sensitive. I have a habit of typing with the phone tilting a bit towards left and zap it changes.

Any solution?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks