Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 10:58   #2746
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
c. Should look pseud enough in hapis.
What on earth is this slang supposed to mean?
Old 18th March 2008, 12:24   #2747
Senior - BHPian

My apologies. Was C/Ped off another forum and pasted before going to office. Now needs to be deleted. Is entirely conversational, no SMS thing mind you. Here's it in english:

Guys,

Need little help. While the k750i is doing good duty, I need a decent secondary mobile (pref SE!) which has the following features:
a. Decent FM/music if possible.
b. Good sound clarity on speaker phone.
c. Should look presentable enough at client site.
d. Decent against harsh sunlight.
e. Most important: Different ringtones for different people.So like quiet in normal case, and extra loud selection for boss!
f. Bluetooth/card storage et al would all be a bonus.
g. Another important thing: Quiet vibration calls. SE phones have this grating noise which comes when they ring in silvent/vibrate mode. Older nokias were quiet.

Any other suggestion for a decent/discreeet phone would be welcome. Ideas? My budget is abysmal by tbhp standards (3-5k)!Thanks in advance
Old 18th March 2008, 13:15   #2748
Team-BHP Support

Darn here i go again!

Starting last satday my HTC touch started hanging, restarting and what not. I have called up the service and will be handing the phone to them, since software reload/flash hasnt helped a bit.

In the eventuality the piece is toast, which one to go for?

My usage is mainly business apart from Phone i need emails, excel and word.
Need internet sharing for laptop usage while traveling.
Decent browsing, very occasional.
Need GPRS, Wifi, Bluetooth and rest including GPS are optional. Unless someone decides to launch 3G etc in India.
Dont want a bulky piece after the Nokia communicator, and am really used to Touch form and function.
Touch screen is fine, really didnt miss the keypad on the Touch.

Quick glance and i landed up back with Touch, but are there really good options worth trying?
Old 18th March 2008, 14:08   #2749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Starting last satday my HTC touch started hanging, restarting and what not. I have called up the service and will be handing the phone to them, since software reload/flash hasnt helped a bit.

In the eventuality the piece is toast, which one to go for?

My usage is mainly business apart from Phone i need emails, excel and word.
Need internet sharing for laptop usage while traveling.
Decent browsing, very occasional.
Need GPRS, Wifi, Bluetooth and rest including GPS are optional. Unless someone decides to launch 3G etc in India.
Dont want a bulky piece after the Nokia communicator, and am really used to Touch form and function.
Touch screen is fine, really didnt miss the keypad on the Touch.

Quick glance and i landed up back with Touch, but are there really good options worth trying?

How about N95 or N82? These phones will serve your purpose well, I guess.

Or, you can even try blackberry pearl 8120!
Old 18th March 2008, 16:12   #2750
Team-BHP Support

I have used N95 extensively, somehow something is missing though it has everything. Anyways will keep that to the list for now.

Blackberry am not sure :P
Old 18th March 2008, 16:32   #2751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have used N95 extensively, somehow something is missing though it has everything. Anyways will keep that to the list for now.

Blackberry am not sure :P
Go for the BB Curve... its a brilliant phone... i was a Nokia addict too and the only phone i first switched over to was the Blackberry and i gaurantee you the software is far more stable and better.

If the iPhone bug hadn't bitten me i would be using nothing besides the curve.
Old 18th March 2008, 16:36   #2752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I'm sure you would've thought of this, did you try a hard-reset?

Are you into MMS or do you leave your Bluetooth on all the time?
Old 18th March 2008, 19:07   #2753
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
While I'm sure you would've thought of this, did you try a hard-reset?

Are you into MMS or do you leave your Bluetooth on all the time?
Soft reset>Hard reset>Hard reset using memory clean function>flash diff roms (OE ones) but a newer version with better memory usage>Things improved>But still keeps on hanging sooner or later.

Havent used MMS (sent or received) or left bluetooth ON, bluetooth is only used for some pic transfer to comp and internet sharing. Funny part all that is working fine.

Havent modded the software or even installed anything also lately, only other software was gmaps, GPRS monitor software that came with the phone and Touch OE keypad software. Everything was working fine, actually not even requiring a soft reset for last few months. Till the phone hung when a call came, and then on. D I S A S T E R :(

So called up the support shop and they have asked to bring it down tomorrow, only worry is since i had flashed newer ROM (OE itself) they might dishonor the warranty. Thats fine as long as they get the machine up and running.

I vaguely suspect a hardware issue since some weird combination (not the regular ones) of hard keys will make machine reboot. Then again its windows so you never know lol.
Old 18th March 2008, 19:30   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Go for the BB Curve... its a brilliant phone... i was a Nokia addict too and the only phone i first switched over to was the Blackberry and i gaurantee you the software is far more stable and better.

If the iPhone bug hadn't bitten me i would be using nothing besides the curve.
I really don't know much about Blackberry..but are there good third party apps for the blackberry? Like some cool calendar apps or note taking and things like that?

And @ Hydra: The cool app that you posted above, do we have things like that for the blackberry
Old 18th March 2008, 22:00   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So called up the support shop and they have asked to bring it down tomorrow, only worry is since i had flashed newer ROM (OE itself) they might dishonor the warranty. Thats fine as long as they get the machine up and running.
As long as it is HTC OE ROM it doesnt matter that you've flashed it yourself - why then does HTC make a downloadable executable available on their website for ROM upgrades ? Dont let them BS you with that.
Old 18th March 2008, 22:30   #2756
Team-BHP Support

Yup will keep that in mind while i speak to them.
Old 18th March 2008, 23:11   #2757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Here's a nice, free IM (and VOIP) application for Symbian S60 & Wi Mo: Octro
Tried it for a day but I did not like it that much. My reasons:

1) The main attraction was the IM functionality. I wanted to see if Octro does IM better than IM+ (IM+ All-in-One Mobile Messenger :: Products), which I already use. IMHO, IM+ is much better because:
- IM+ has a better interface
- IM+ consumes lesser resources
- IM+ uses Yahoo's and Google's own transports (dunno about the others, because I don't use them). No data goes through IM+ servers. Octro uses their own Transport servers. Which (I think) means our data is cached off say Yahoo's servers. Octro stands between us and Yahoo. This I do not like
- IM+ has better smileys: at least I see better ones.
- IM+ does everything Octro does (as far as IM and filesharing between buddies are concerned) and IMHO better.
- BIG reason: Octro plays funny on my E90's internal screen. Takes a while to resize if I open the flip. At times, opens sideways on the internal screen.
- IM+ is not in beta.

BUT, IM+ is not free, so Octro makes up for things a lot.

2) I don't use (well, don't have much occasion to use) VOIP. So that is no reason for me to use Octro. And that is why I've never used Fring either.

BUTTTTTT Octro has one nice feature: You can enable a shared folder in your computer that you can access online through Octro. I do get the same functionality through logmein.com (I have a complimentary 5-year Pro account heh, heh), but then logmein does not work that well with Symbian.

And, Octro beats the socks off any free app of this kind I've seen, as far as functionality and interface are concerned.
Old 18th March 2008, 23:25   #2758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... the piece is toast, which one to go for?
Sorry to hear about the Touch, Jaggu. I think you've tried everything. Must be a hardware-based fault like something gone wrong with the memory. The warranty should take care of that. Else I'd suggest the Kaiser/TytnII for WiMo (pricier and a bit bulkier). Or the Nokia E61i at a 16Kish budget - No touch screen though.
Old 19th March 2008, 00:20   #2759
Team-BHP Support

Too early to say anything but i flashed again with another version of the OE ROM, but this time direct from boot loader and it seems stable for now <grabbing the wood>

Pray for me
Old 19th March 2008, 02:02   #2760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Too early to say anything but i flashed again with another version of the OE ROM, but this time direct from boot loader and it seems stable for now <grabbing the wood> Pray for me
Direct flashing from Bootloader usually works well. Out of interest, what was the ROM version you flashed in before this? It could be a ROM Specific issue - if you've picked up a custom ROM created by somebody other than the OE vendor then there's no guarantee as to whats on the ROM, including tracking software.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks